HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Addressing tonights debacle

Old
11-12-2011, 09:38 PM
thomas vanek

vCash: 500
Addressing tonights debacle

Could Kassian be getting a call up very soon? He's been playing extremely well as of late in Rochester, and could bring some (apparently) much-needed toughness to their forward corps. Send Ellis down and see if Kass can provide a physical element that is much needed? Just brainstorming, thoughts?

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Kassian would not have helped them tonight.

They got beat by great team defense and physicality and intimidation from everywhere.

One guy does not take that away from the other team.

Face it, when Boston is on, they are on. Very few teams can match Boston at their best, and certainly not the Sabres.

That doesn't make them a bad team. They are just a bad matchup for Boston at their best.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
We need to get Val James out of retirement.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Kassian hasn't been that physical, snarly player this season. I'm not sure whether that's the organization telling him to harness it, or it's him trying to prove that he's not going to develop a reputation as a dirty player. He doesn't have that trigger temper right now that made him so scary to play against in juniors.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post

They got beat by great team defense and physicality and intimidation from everywhere.

Face it, when Boston is on, they are on. Very few teams can match Boston at their best, and certainly not the Sabres.

That doesn't make them a bad team. They are just a bad matchup for Boston at their best.
The "idea of Kassian" would have helped tonight. I hear he's progressing well in Rochester. Hopefully he's ready by next year to counter the "reality of Lucic."

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
BuffaloSabskis

In terms of future toughness I think Brayden Mcnabb is also a player that can help.

BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post

Well said

I would also add, a chunk of posters have this grand idea of Kassian. Like they can't wait for him to FINALLY play for the Sabres. He has just as much of a chance of reeeeeally sucking as he has of being reeeeeeeealy effective. I don't want him up here at all, unless he is doing so well in Rochester that you can't help but notice him.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabskis View Post
In terms of future toughness I think Brayden Mcnabb is also a player that can help.
The most positive thing about McNabb is that he hits to hurt. If he even thinks your head is down, he's trying to put you into next month. He hits with malice, and often makes contact to the head, but you know he's back there.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Dreakon

Step 1: Bench Myers
Step 2: Add Weber
Step 3: Don't Put Weber On Top Pairing

Problem isn't solved, but it's a step in the right direction for now.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Kassian would get owned by Lucic, first off.

Second, he hasn't been playing that physical brand of hockey as of yet with Rochester. He has seemingly honed in on other areas of his game, apparently to the delight of the staff per the article in Chain's thread. Hopefully Kassian can be the guy in pros that he was in juniors.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:04 PM
number72

Trade for a guy like Colton Orr.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:20 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Kassian hasn't been that physical, snarly player this season. I'm not sure whether that's the organization telling him to harness it, or it's him trying to prove that he's not going to develop a reputation as a dirty player. He doesn't have that trigger temper right now that made him so scary to play against in juniors.
Ooookay, can someone clue me into why the team would draft a guy that plays with an edge/intimidates people, only to neuter that and make him a softie like everyone else on the roster? Typical Sabres player development. And we all wonder why there's no toughness on the team.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:34 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I just think that there's very little reason for him to play physically in the AHL since it's a perimeter league and they hand out plenty of unwarranted suspensions.
They've probably told him to focus on offense and being able to control himself while he's there, as he will be a more effective player for his team that way.
I am sure he'll have plenty of grit in his game when he is in the NHL.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:43 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I just think that there's very little reason for him to play physically in the AHL since it's a perimeter league and they hand out plenty of unwarranted suspensions.
They've probably told him to focus on offense and being able to control himself while he's there, as he will be a more effective player for his team that way.
I am sure he'll have plenty of grit in his game when he is in the NHL.
Kassian doesn't need to prove he has a physical side; everyone knows it's there.

I obviously don't want it to disappear, but in the AHL, he should be focusing on making noise with his play rather than his fists. I don't want his physical side to disappear and would fully support him going after a guy in defense of a teammate or when the team is down a few goals, but he shouldn't be picking fights for no reason.

There are enough guys in the AHL who look at their physical side as their way in the AHL. Kassian's physical tools make him an average NHL goon at worst. He needs to use his time in the A to improve his all around play and show that he can be more than that.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:23 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Well said

I would also add, a chunk of posters have this grand idea of Kassian. Like they can't wait for him to FINALLY play for the Sabres. He has just as much of a chance of reeeeeally sucking as he has of being reeeeeeeealy effective. I don't want him up here at all, unless he is doing so well in Rochester that you can't help but notice him.
You're really wondering why posters are drooling over the idea of having a big mean top 6 forward? I think its fairly easy to understand why they want him up here now. Obviously he needs to be ready to come up before that can happen and I don;t think he is there just yet. But its more than understandable the feelings fans have about him, especially after a night like tonight.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Buffalo can't beat the Bruins at their own game.

They are bigger and stronger and if it comes to the physical side, they'll win every time.

You gotta outskate them and outworked them.
Rely on speed and good puckmovement.

Someone fighting Lucic (and likely getting beaten up) wouldn't have done anything for them.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Someone fighting Lucic (and likely getting beaten up) wouldn't have done anything for them.
It's not so much that people wanted someone to take on Lucic, though it certainly would've been a step up from what we got. It's that we wanted something.

If we don't have the guys to take on that talented goon monster, then go after the B's smaller guys. Absolutely unload on Thomas as he plays the puck behind the net and take the apparent 2 minute penalty that results from it (we have a pretty good PK this year). No one on that Bruins team should've been safe on any shift. Respect and sportsmanship left that game the second Lucic made the conscious decision to destroy and injure our star goaltender. We should've made everyone on that team look at Lucic like the guy that made them all targets, and not the guy that completely turned the game in their favor.

The downside of this being, of course, that things may slowly escalate until someone gets seriously hurt (most like a Sabre given the physical makeup of the two teams). Quite frankly though, the rage should've been so blind out of the Sabres that they would force the refs to do their jobs and eject the troublemakers before it gets that far. Until then, we make the Bruins lives hell.

Last edited by Dreakon: 11-13-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 1147
Quote:

They are bigger and stronger and if it comes to the physical side, they'll win every time.

Well in all fairness, the Sabres never even tried to beat the Bruins at their own game. They tried the latter and it worked for 1 period.

I think it boils down to this team isn't good enough to win when the chips are down, and St. Pegula isn't going to deliver anything with Lindy and Darcy at the helm.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
number72

Quote:

The game it is not about being beat up or winning a fight. It is about sticking up for your teammates. Cowering/running away is shameful, disrespectful to Miller and the team morale took a hit. Even Gerbe could have gone after Lucic just to make the point - would he have got killed - yes. But at least you have your teammate back - they can depend on you - build comaraderie - builds a team. That is what is missing from the team.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Almost anyone on the team could've responded, but not by going toe-to-toe in a fair fight. During the initial scrum somebody could've gotten behind Lucic and put him in a choke hold and brought him down to the ice, and only let go after four officials pried him loose. There are 18 different ways somebody could've done something to Lucic...not "fair" but also not something that would result in a year suspension or criminal charges either. If a player hits your goalie with a clearly intentional cheap shot, that player should not get challenged with a fair fight, especially you can't beat him in a fair fight. Lucic deserved some form of cheap response on the same level he took toward Miller.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinter Klaas View Post
I think it boils down to this team isn't good enough to win when the chips are down, and St. Pegula isn't going to deliver anything with Lindy and Darcy at the helm.
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:55 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinter Klaas View Post

where do you get the theoretical grounds for this conjecture? I mean i started hating the team long before you.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:57 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
No it would not have won them the game. But at a certain point it was about pride, and about having your teammate's back out there.

Would sending Cody out there to fight Lucic have won us the game? No.
Would Cody going out to fight Lucic made me feel a whole lot better about this team? Yes

Note: Feel free to substitute "Cody" with anyone you chose.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
No it would not have won them the game. But at a certain point it was about pride, and about having your teammate's back out there.

Would sending Cody out there to fight Lucic have won us the game? No.
Would Cody going out to fight Lucic made me feel a whole lot better about this team? Yes

Note: Feel free to substitute "Cody" with anyone you chose.
This brings to min the question I've been wondering...anyone else think Cody's face simply wasnt ready to be hit lol? Seriously all "tough manly-ness" aside he is messed up right now

DJN21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:55 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
BZK just isn't ready yet, when he is though I assure you he will meet and greet Lucic in his first meeting against Boston..

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote