HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How Does This Season Compare to the Previous Two: The Numbers are...

Old
11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
How Does This Season Compare to the Previous Two: The Numbers are...

Checked out NHL.com just for the helluvit...

After 16 games:

- We have the exact same amount of points as we did two years ago in 2009/10. However, we were 7th in the EC.

- We're 5 points shy of last year's hot start. We were 3rd in the EC, 1st in our division.

Moving forward:

Last year's great start began to fizzle as we went 2-8 from December 10 to Dec. 30. Going into our New Years Eve game with Florida, our record was 20-16-2 after 38 games. Going into that game we were 2nd in our division behind Boston, but had slipped to 8th in the EC.

- We'd therefore need to go 13-9 in our next 22 games to be on par with last year.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:33 AM
le_sean

Certainly attainable. There is no reason to believe the team will go on a 2-8 streak in December. Part of the reason it happened last season is because the PP started to suck and the team already sucked even strength. This season the boys are better 5 on 5 and the PP (hopefully) can only get better.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
PricePkPatch

I can't emphasize ennough just how big a difference a healthy Markov will have on our team.

Markov-PK on the PP might be a force to reckon with. Specially if the opposition focus their energy on Subban.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:26 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I can't emphasize ennough just how big a difference a healthy Markov will have on our team.

Markov-PK on the PP might be a force to reckon with. Specially if the opposition focus their energy on Subban.
Markov will feast on it. He will chuckle as he makes a lob pass 60 feet across the ice to Cammy that will find itself in the back of the net. He will be trolling.

I'm curious to see if teams remember how dominant Markov was, or if there will be an adjustment period. I can't wait.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Andy

This is a good thread as it puts things into perspective. Despite the bad start and despite the doomsday posts, the Canadiens are pretty much right in there. They are only 5 points away from the Leafs and also 5 points away from where they were last year.

There was no reason to ever panic considering that they were barely losing there games and that is most losses, the Canadiens were the better team. Let's hope the puck luck stays with them for a couple of more weeks, they could easily leapfrog some teams in the next couple of weeks (8 games in 14 days), considering they are playing a couple of teams ahead of them(buffalo, Boston, Flyers, Pens, Rangers).

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:38 PM
WestIslander

Once Markov and Campoli are back and Cammalleri, Kostitsyn and Gomez are playing at 100% I think it will be either us or Buffalo leading the division.

A 100% healthy line up, I would want to see the following based on the play of certain players so far this season.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
Darche - Gomez - Nokelainen
Palushaj

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Campoli - Spacek
Diaz

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
guest1467

It just goes to show how unreliable the early parts of the season are.

When you have a team that is first in their division despite having a goal differential of -7 you will quickly realize there is a lot of hockey to be played.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Markov will feast on it. He will chuckle as he makes a lob pass 60 feet across the ice to Cammy that will find itself in the back of the net. He will be trolling.

I'm curious to see if teams remember how dominant Markov was, or if there will be an adjustment period. I can't wait.
I've read somewhere that the Oilers used a diamond-shaped PK system that was very effective to stop the diagonal pass we are so fond of. I am wondering if we could adjust our PP to get a inversed pentagon positioning system, with 2 shots on the mid-range point, 1 QB high up and 2 players down low.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:45 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I've read somewhere that the Oilers used a diamond-shaped PK system that was very effective to stop the diagonal pass we are so fond of. I am wondering if we could adjust our PP to get a inversed pentagon positioning system, with 2 shots on the mid-range point, 1 QB high up and 2 players down low.
I wouldn't mind seeing them try an umbrella when Markov gets back.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:

I actually think Markov-Weber could be even better honestly. Weber is really coming along and could be Streit 2.0. Subban and Gorges (who has been putting up points big time post-knee op) could run the 2nd PP unit or they could even be alternated.

I actually believe this might be the year Gorges puts up 40~ points. If he does he will command a lot more as a UFA. He's quickly becoming another Hamrlik but a much younger version. That knee surgery must have done something because he's in full on beast mode this year.

That having been said Markov-PK might be a better option we'll just have to wait and see.

Last night was one of PK's best games this year. He continued doing the right things in his own end but he brought that offensive flair back in OT with some sick moves. Is it me or do other people also see that despite playing top minutes PK seems to be on a short leash in terms of offensive attack. He doesn't seem to go 100% anymore when he has the puck (I don't mean effort but rather skill) he instead takes the safe route every single time. I know this limits his mistakes but it surely limits his offensive potential. I'd gladly take the mistakes to see this guy develop into a Niedermayer 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

Markov passes to Subban, Subban plays with the puck like he always does drawing the opposition in... Subban passes the puck back to Markov while 2 guys are on him... goallllll, Markov with a perfect feed to Pacioretty.

How many times this season if they stay healthy do you think we'll see Pacioretty - Asst: Markov, Subban?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-13-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: merge
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Protest the Hero

Can't wait for the patented keep the puck in at the blue line and fire a pass cross ice for a one timer quicker than anyone can react play that he does so often.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Can't wait for the patented keep the puck in at the blue line and fire a pass cross ice for a one timer quicker than anyone can react play that he does so often.
The problem is that worked when he was playing the left side on the PP, with a huge LH shot on the right. Now the big shots are RH and will need to get feeds from the opposite side. Cammalleri is the big shot forward that stays at the top of the circle, but he needs to be on Markov's side.

Either they change the formation of the PP to an umbrella, or it will be Subban/Weber with the responsibility of feeding Cammalleri.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:23 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It just goes to show how unreliable the early parts of the season are.

When you have a team that is first in their division despite having a goal differential of -7 you will quickly realize there is a lot of hockey to be played.
Exactly what I was telling my friend. That if you look at the differential our record isn't representative of how we've played and same for a lot of other teams like TO in the opposite situation, they will fall back down to earth (8th-9th place imo)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
In 2008-2009, Markov missed being the Hab scoring leader by 1 point (He had 64 vs. 65 by Kovalev)

He would have been only the D man in modern Montreal history to do so.

http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/stats/search

(D man Sprague Cleghorn did it in 1921-1922... when the pro season was a mere 24 games)

http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/stats/search

Having Markov in the line up WILL elevate Montreal's winning %

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote