HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean "Ovechkin" Avery

Old
11-13-2011, 10:42 AM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
No mention of his assists, or the fact that his ice time was the least among forwards on the Rangers who played over 25 games that season.
No need to bring up his assists because the thread was about his amazing goal. Also if you are going to use the lack of ice time as an excuse as to why he didn't score a lot of goals, then you should also take into account that he still managed racked up 174pims while only averaging less than 12 minutes of ice time.

Like I said, I don't hate Avery, I just think his value on the Rangers is overstated and I certainly don't think he is the same player he was before his suspension or during his first tenure in NY.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Well that stat is a little bit more difficult to find, but if your argument is that he only had 3 goals in 76 games because he didn't have a lot of ice time I am not really sure it is a solid argument considering in those same amount of limited minutes he managed to rack up 174 PIM. Not to mention going offsides an insane amount of times.
His TOI was insanely limited last year, and you know it. You're just not going to score that way. And he racks up PIM for obvious reasons, considering that he is often sent out to agitate. Plus, multiple five-minute penalties for fighting.

Quote:
I was a fan of Avery during his first tenure here, but the fact is that now, despite this win streak which coincidentally is the same amount of games since his callup, Avery hasn't been the same sine his BS suspension. Don't get me wrong, in the meantime I will support him as a Ranger and hope he gets more goals like last night because it was pretty, but I think he has run his course here and like I said his value is grossly overstated.
Always a coincidence, huh? You guys must get embarrassed having to say that so often.

As for his value being grossly overstated--we supporters mostly say he is a spark, a great forechecker, a solid agitator/fighter. We also acknowledge that his offensive skills are somewhat underrated. We don't say he's a dynamo, though.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
No need to bring up his assists because the thread was about his amazing goal. Also if you are going to use the lack of ice time as an excuse as to why he didn't score a lot of goals, then you should also take into account that he still managed racked up 174pims while only averaging less than 12 minutes of ice time.
Which doesn't address this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I had the figures awhile ago so I don't remember them exactly but I believe last season in the NHL Avery's 24 points were good for 4th or 5th among ALL NHL forwards who got less than 12 minutes of average ice per game.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
petejudge

trueblue, how can you ignore the stat of avery's assists being in the top 5 in the LEAGUE for somebody who has his ice time? he also was one of the team leader's in even strength assists with the lowest TOI of anybody on the team.

avery has done exactly what every supporter on here has said he would do. he'll bring a spark to the team, he forechecks well, he's got great speed, he's drawing penalties. that's what sean avery does. of course he's not going to score 20 goals but he'll put in a few here and there and make great passes (20 even strength assists last year isn't a fluke, when his TOI is the lowest on the team AND you guys think he's done).

the rangers problem before avery was that there was no physical presence. they had no forecheck, nobody was bringing energy. that's what avery does for you. he's a great locker room guy, a great team guy, and can bring energy every game. it's not a coincidence that the team is automatically playing a lot more driven hockey, throwing the body, and rallying together since avery's been back. he's a guy that everybody there likes, and a guy who can motivate a team.

avery haters need to just take a step back and think about how much better this team has been with him in the lineup. if you want to completely disregard that and say he had nothing to do with it, you don't really know hockey. that simple.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:29 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Always a coincidence, huh? You guys must get embarrassed having to say that so often.
As I said, I think he was a spark the first time around, not so much now. I think it is absolutely crazy to believe that this current win streak is a direct result of Avery being called up. But you are free to believe whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
the rangers problem before avery was that there was no physical presence. they had no forecheck, nobody was bringing energy. that's what avery does for you. he's a great locker room guy, a great team guy, and can bring energy every game. it's not a coincidence that the team is automatically playing a lot more driven hockey, throwing the body, and rallying together since avery's been back. he's a guy that everybody there likes, and a guy who can motivate a team.

avery haters need to just take a step back and think about how much better this team has been with him in the lineup. if you want to completely disregard that and say he had nothing to do with it, you don't really know hockey. that simple.
I thought the problem with the rangers before was the long road trip? At least that is what everyone kept saying around here.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 11-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old
11-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Avery haters need to just take a step back and think about how much better this team has been with him in the lineup. if you want to completely disregard that and say he had nothing to do with it, you don't really know hockey. that simple.
It goes beyond what he does on the ice.

Henrik said the locker room "feels more normal" with Avery back. Don't underestimate the significance of that.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:38 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
It goes beyond what he does on the ice.

Henrik said the locker room "feels more normal" with Avery back. Don't underestimate the significance of that.
like i said, he's a great locker room guy and a great team guy.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
mcsauer2738

We have to remember, before torts came to town, avery was used in a similar role as tampa uses downie. The role torts gave him provides him little to no offensive opportunities, zero pp time. The fact is he's not being utilized as he should, he's by far one of our top players as far as board play and passing goes.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
like i said, he's a great locker room guy and a great team guy.
I agreed with your post, and was following up. The "don't underestimate the significance of that" was directed at the Avery haters.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
As I said, I think he was a spark the first time around, not so much now. I think it is absolutely crazy to believe that this current win streak is a direct result of Avery being called up. But you are free to believe whatever you want.
Not what I believe. I do think he creates some spark, and I do KNOW that a ton of fans love him. He generates buzz in the Garden; he lights up chants; he's fun to watch; he might make fans louder and more intimidating. How much that all contributes to the streak can't exactly be determined, but looking at the record of the team with him as opposed to without (on two occasions now) makes one wonder.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:01 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Not what I believe. I do think he creates some spark, and I do KNOW that a ton of fans love him. He generates buzz in the Garden; he lights up chants; he's fun to watch; he might make fans louder and more intimidating. How much that all contributes to the streak can't exactly be determined, but looking at the record of the team with him as opposed to without (on two occasions now) makes one wonder.
Fair enough, and as long as the team keeps winning I'll be happy.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
We have to remember, before torts came to town, avery was used in a similar role as tampa uses downie. The role torts gave him provides him little to no offensive opportunities, zero pp time. The fact is he's not being utilized as he should, he's by far one of our top players as far as board play and passing goes.
he IS our best guy along the boards, and he's got great passing ability. his assist numbers don't lie. he played great on a line with gaborik last year even when gaborik was having a down year. gaborik was at his best with avery on the opposite wing last year

Old
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
How bout that goal last night?

Okay he's not Ovie, but I feel his offensive skills are underrated since people focus so much on his agitation methods (which by the way were also highly effective last night).
He's coming off a season where he had a 2.2% shooting percentage and 3 goals on 137 shots... Of the players on the roster who scored goals last season, he was dead last in shooting percentage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Overall I'm very happy with Avery being back in the line up. This team for some reason can not get it together without him.
And those 5 wins in which he wasn't in the line-up?

I'm happy with the way Avery played last night and okay with him in the line-up as it stands currently, but jeesh, lets have some perspective please! One good game and all of a sudden he's underrated offensively and the team can't play effectively without him? There are far more important forwards on this roster than Sean Avery, let's get that straight... If the future of our season rests on whether or not a particular bottom 6 forward is in our line-up, may god help us all!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
he IS our best guy along the boards, and he's got great passing ability. his assist numbers don't lie. he played great on a line with gaborik last year even when gaborik was having a down year. gaborik was at his best with avery on the opposite wing last year
Pete you must have memory loss because that line combination (w/ Christensen) stunk it up for the next 2 games following the Islanders game, and that's why they got broken up.... And Gaborik never played consistently last season regardless of who was on his LW so let's have some perspective please.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
AXN

I think Richards was on with Fedotenko and Avery when he got the goal against Carolina. Maybe playing right wing will get Avery's game back. He can go forward more.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
So typical for Sean. Scores a goal and clocks the goalie as well. Everything he does is in some way annoying.
Not just that, he teabagged Cam Ward!!

We're just better with him around.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Like it or not it appears Avery is part of the teams success. Hey if it makes Henke happy and he's able to chip in a goal here and there while annoying the other teams off their game, I don't see a problem.

Avery isn't likely to win the Conn Smyth but I could definitely see him being a piece of a championship team. He has bucked the odds his entire career and found a home in NYC.

With his skills, speed and hustle Torts should be able to turn him into a very valuable player.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Another thing about Avery is he is a personality you don't find in hockey often enough. Rarely a cliche' response to questions from reporters. He is exciting and this is a game of momentum.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

You know we scored FIVE goals last game, right?

I'm thrilled Avery is playing good. He's not the reason we're winning games, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Like it or not it appears Avery is part of the teams success. Hey if it makes Henke happy and he's able to chip in a goal here and there while annoying the other teams off their game, I don't see a problem.

Avery isn't likely to win the Conn Smyth but I could definitely see him being a piece of a championship team. He has bucked the odds his entire career and found a home in NYC.

With his skills, speed and hustle Torts should be able to turn him into a very valuable player.
I like him to begin with, but I was also very impressed when he said he'd play for league minimum because he wanted to stay with the Rangers and doesn't need the money anymore.

You could probably count on one hand the amount of professional athletes who've said that in the last 20 years.

I hope the Rangers keep him. I acknowledge that that is a long shot, but a $500k cap hit might make them look a lot harder at the possibility.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:19 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
I like him to begin with, but I was also very impressed when he said he'd play for league minimum because he wanted to stay with the Rangers and doesn't need the money anymore.

You could probably count on one hand the amount of professional athletes who've said that in the last 20 years.

I hope the Rangers keep him. I acknowledge that that is a long shot, but a $500k cap hit might make them look a lot harder at the possibility.
You would want him to stay even if it meant possibly blocking Kreider, Thomas and/or Hagelin? Notwithstanding other alternatives to make room for youth of course.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
You would want him to stay even if it meant possibly blocking Kreider, Thomas and/or Hagelin? Notwithstanding other alternatives to make room for youth of course.
It could probably be done without losing cap space to make some room for one or some of those guys. Not to mention they are wholly unproven. I'm a big believer in homegrown talent, but the chances of all three of those guys coming up and having instant effects are pretty slim, no?

Wolski, Feds, Christensen, Prust, Newbury, Eminger, Woywitka, Bell and Biron drop off the books after the season.

The only guys on that list we need to re-sign, IMO, are Prust, Eminger and Biron. That clears up a lot of room.

Now, if Avery's potential $500k makes the difference between us signing a guy like Parise or Weber (unlikely anyway, IMO) then of course I've got to let go.

Last edited by Matteau Matteau: 11-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old
11-13-2011, 02:52 PM
stan the caddy

He played great and he still can't get any ice time. He scores the first goal of the game, draws two penalties, and his effort helps create another and he finishes with the third fewest minutes. What does he have to do? It's ****ing ridiculous.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Avery hasn't played in an NHL loss yet this year.
Neither have I.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Neither have I.
.....and you never will. LOL

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote