HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tip-a-King 2011

Old
11-13-2011, 03:31 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Tip-a-King 2011

Went to the VIP session this morning. I would say overall the VIP portion was lightly attended vs. prior years. Took roughly 90 minutes to get through every player's line at a leisurely pace (I could have easily done it in an hour.) Half of the players had no line at all.

The early admission is really worth it if you want to get something of yours signed by the entire team. Obviously "worth it" is relative given the cost of the ticket and the $5 per player "tip" for an autograph.

The $5 minimum "tip" really is excessive IMO. It used to be a $1 minimum for an autograph and $1 for a photo for several years. Now the last couple of years it's $5 minimum, which means $120+ for every player. Even though it's all for charity, it's still a significant outlay for autographs or photos you can get free elsewhere.

That said, the accessibility is terrific during the early session and certainly worth the additional cost. 30 minutes after the event started, there was no line for Doughty. A small line for Richards (5 people), no line for Gagne, no line for Stoll, etc. Maybe 10 people for Kopitar. The longest lines were for players where you paid to do something more elaborate with them (i.e. taking a shot from Jack Johnson - putting the goalie equipment on took a while). Save your front of the line passes for those.

As always, a nice selection of items at the auction. Decent discounts on Kings merchandise (road replica jerseys for $118, fleece Kings sweatshirts for $22, etc.).

Nice venue. Outdoors on the Sony lot. Having to wait until noon for the buffet and bar wasn't ideal given that we were completely done with obtaining player autographs by 11:30AM.

The $50 mystery envelopes paid off decently. Got an Amazon Kindle with one and another had 21 grammy museum tickets and grounds tickets to a PGA tourney. Someone else won a trip.

All in all, if you don't mind donating a chunk of money to charity once a year, this is as good of a place as any to do it.

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-13-2011 at 03:39 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Photos: Los Angeles Kings Tip-A-King 2011

Frozen Royalty Photos: Los Angeles Kings Tip-A-King 2011

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Whiskeypete

did he get blanked in air hockey also?

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
did he get blanked in air hockey also?
No, but he hurt his wrist and will out longer...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The $5 minimum "tip" really is excessive IMO. It used to be a $1 minimum for an autograph and $1 for a photo for several years. Now the last couple of years it's $5 minimum, which means $120+ for every player. Even though it's all for charity, it's still a significant outlay for autographs or photos you can get free elsewhere.

All in all, if you don't mind donating a chunk of money to charity once a year, this is as good of a place as any to do it.
Let me preface this by saying that this is not a complaint, but an honest question. The Kings and AEG have been very successful in raising money for their charity with this event - but I'm curious.

Has this event moved out of the realm of possibility for most fans?

I donate a fair share to the charities of my choice (animal rescues / veterans groups), so it's not like I'm being a cheap a-hole, but isn't this getting well out of the budget range of the average fan? Getting two regular tickets (so you can take your kid), autographs from all of the players, and 2 envelopes like you got adds up to about $500. That's a pretty significant hit if you are trying to raise a family, save for college, retirement, etc

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:10 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Let me preface this by saying that this is not a complaint, but an honest question. The Kings and AEG have been very successful in raising money for their charity with this event - but I'm curious.

I donate a fair share to the charities of my choice (animal rescues / veterans groups), so it's not like I'm being a cheap a-hole, but isn't this getting well out of the budget range of the average fan? Getting two regular tickets (so you can take your kid), autographs from all of the players, and 2 envelopes like you got adds up to about $500. That's a pretty significant hit if you are trying to raise a family, save for college, retirement, etc
I think the answer to that question would depend on what the attendance figures were like. If they were able to sell the majority of the tickets and raise a significant amount of $$, then I would say no. For those that attended, what would you say the number of people in the crowd was?

I believe past events were considered crowded and difficult to navigate, so perhaps that factors into raising the cost of attendance a bit as well.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

^ that is a good point. If I spent half the amount that Tony did and there were huge lines, I'd be pissed. I know you are donating to charity and all but lets be honest, people are willing to pay that much because of what they are getting in return.

When I was a season ticket holder, I didn't even attend the meet the players party after the second time I went. That was more because I had no use for autographs or photos than anything else but it also became a circus because there were so many people there.

If you can raise more money and have the event better for those that are willing to pay then all the power to them.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:24 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

When I was a season ticket holder, I didn't even attend the meet the players party after the second time I went. That was more because I had no use for autographs or photos than anything else but it also became a circus because there were so many people there.
That's pretty much why I pay for the VIP session. It's the only way I have any prayer of getting the full team to autograph a jersey in a reasonable amount of time. I can't get it done at Meet the Players (although admittedly I only went one time - it was such a zoo I haven't been back. If it's better now I'll certainly give it another go).

To PSP's point, I will say of the 4 years I've gone this year's VIP session was the lightest attended I've seen it, although the event was VERY spread out this year, so the crowd may have simply been well-dispersed, but I think attendance was down. I was stunned when I walked up to Doughty and he had no line 30 minutes after the event was open. I had to double-check to ensure it was him.

I left before I could see the impact general admission crowds had on the wait times. In the past it was meet-the-players-esque (no chance to get a full team autograph in the time allotted during the general admission portion).

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-14-2011 at 06:30 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Sybil227

I know last year was the 1st time I ever went to Tip-A-King. Mostly because of the big STH discount & free 'tip' money they gave last year. Having no other years to compare it to, I can only say it was a LOT less crowded than Meet the Players. If you were willing to hang out for just a couple of hours, getting every player's signature - and having time to talk & hang out with them was easily done.
My wife & I got about 8-9 signatures, played air hockey with TM, looked all around the silent auction & placed a few bids, hung out with Brownie for about 10 minutes (because there was no line behind us) - all in a few hours.
We didn't go this year because it was just too expensive. We'll go to Meet the Players & be content with it.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

I would have gone if I could have given the players some hockey tips...

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

For the average fan? Perhaps.

But if you are financially able to buy season tickets and tickets to this event, I don't think charging $5 instead of $1 is going to effect that fan to much.

And I think events like this are really more throwing a bone to the big money people, which since it's for charity I have no problem with whatsoever. I don't think they want to offend the average fan, but these things seem to always be a way to get people willing a lot of money to get closer to the players.

One thing that truly amazes me is how much some fans will spend and how excited they will get to see an athlete. I had season tickets to the Bears last year and I took my girlfriend to a similar event they have and she was literally shaking when she met Devin Hester.

How were the players, I know it's hard to tell based on TV interviews but the Kings seem to have a good group of guys, I can't really think of a bad apple. I hope with as much as people are spending on this event the players really go all out. I know Jack Johnson is great to the fans and will talk your ear off and Dustin Brown seems to really care for the fans too, based on how he acts on facebook and twitter and in the community.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:03 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That's pretty much why I pay for the VIP session. It's the only way I have any prayer of getting the full team to autograph a jersey in a reasonable amount of time. I can't get it done at Meet the Players (although admittedly I only went one time - it was such a zoo I haven't been back. If it's better now I'll certainly give it another go).

To PSP's point, I will say of the 4 years I've gone this year's VIP session was the lightest attended I've seen it, although the event was VERY spread out this year, so the crowd may have simply been well-dispersed, but I think attendance was down. I was stunned when I walked up to Doughty and he had no line 30 minutes after the event was open. I had to double-check to ensure it was him.

I left before I could see the impact general admission crowds had on the wait times. In the past it was meet-the-players-esque (no chance to get a full team autograph in the time allotted during the general admission portion).
Kings raised prices and limited ticket sales to 2,000 tickets. My guess is that they were trying to keep the length of the lines down so that wait times weren't ridiculously long.

I was told that they met their ticket sales quota. I doubt they sold out, however. They would've said so.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:16 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
For the average fan? Perhaps.
Isn't that who these events are supposed to be for? It sure as hell used to be.

I thought the ticket price was kind of high when I saw it mentiond on a broadcast this week. General admission went from $45 last year to $130 this year. Plus tips from $1 to $5 each.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:48 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Kings raised prices and limited ticket sales to 2,000 tickets. My guess is that they were trying to keep the length of the lines down so that wait times weren't ridiculously long.

I was told that they met their ticket sales quota. I doubt they sold out, however. They would've said so.
They were advertising tickets still available at the end of the game on Saturday, so I'm guessing they had quite a few available.

I went to all the Tip a Kings in the 90s and early '00s, and I have to say, this year I was SHOCKED at the ticket price just for attending general admission, and that's when I thought it was $1 for an autograph and $2 for a picture (which I think it was back when I used to go. Correct me if I'm wrong). Now to hear that it's $5 for each signature...wow. My family could afford season seats if we live in LA still, but I'm not sure (even though it is charity), I would be able to drop that kind of money for Tip a King on top of the ss.

Sure, it caters to the people who have a bit of money, but what about the family of 4 who are just the average joe? I LOVED Tip a King as a kid (even with the lines), and I know that if the prices were what they are now back then, I would never have been able to go, and we had ss for 12 years, so it's not like we didn't have extra income for fun things.

Back in the 90's, Tip a King was busy, but I always got every player I wanted to (except Wayne, who I stood in line one year just for his autograph to complete my jersey signed by the whole Stanley Cup finals team). Sure, we had to wait and it took the whole amount of time general admission was open, but that was kind of the fun of it. I wouldn't want to pay a $130 admission, plus $5 for every autograph and be done in 30 minutes. Just my honest opinion.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
onlyalad

I think that tickets were over priced this year. http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/11/11...king-upcoming/
They had to lower prices to sell out. I know a lot of people skipped this because of the price. A family of four would have to pay 520 just to get in the door. Next year I hope they lower prices for kids.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Shellz

LA Kings tweeted that they raised more than 200,000. That's pretty nice.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Malice430

i wouldnt mind paying $5 for an autograph if they had kept the admission price lower. I went Kopi's rookie season (the one at Home Depot Center) and it was only like $40 to get in. Got a bunch of players autographs including Sean Burke and Jason Ward . only spent about $35 for the whole day

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote