HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 to the Hawks

Old
11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
Like I said, the goalie plays as well as the team in front of him does. Maybe this game will put some light to this issue, especially for those bashing Dubnyk mercilessly after the boston game.
Difference of course being that we weren't dominated in the Boston game like we were against Washington, Detroit, and now Chicago.

11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
Hall no drive, chicago goal horn sucks, F toews. But you pretty much covered it.

Edit: Forgot communism > Democracy
Maybe we need a vote on this

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Beerfish

1 out of 14 now.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Come on gang, are we really surprised?

The word 'growing pains' perfectly describes this team imo, and in all honesty, it's fine.

This year isn't about making the playoffs or winning, it's about developing our players. Winning is secondary imo.

Losing was always going to happen, especially considering the way our D had been playing the first 10ish games.

Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
Agreed. I really wish that we could get rid of this event. I mean who these people who go to Rodeos? These are people I want nothing to do with.
It's actually not that bad. Went over 20 years ago as we got some free tickets to go. Over 3 hours of it.

Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
And please don't get me started on the Fail for Nail BS, finishing 30th or bottom five is the worst thing this team can go through right now.
Last would be tough to stomach, bottom 5 would be fine by me because we could sure use another high end player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah, lol, what the hell was the point of that? MacRenney has totally mismanaged this player.
I'm not too sure, but playing him another shift or two there wouldn't have hurt anybody.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Gagner had a good game. Wasn't horrible.
I agree. Overall it was not a bad game.

Bulin played very pedestrian, Peckham, Eager, Hemsky and Jones all played quite poorly.

But I thought Eberle, Hall, Gagner, Smid, Belanger and Smyth all had pretty good games.

The biggest thing was little mental mistakes in their own end...and a team like Chicago will kill you every time with those. But that's to be expected in the 6th game on the road and 3rd game in 4 nights. You can't expect a young team to be mentally sharp in that circumstance a lot of the time, and you certainly can't expect them to be after playing the two hottest teams in the league 2 and 3 nights before.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Soundwave

Stop.

Playing.

Belanger.

With.

MPS/And/Or Gagner.

K, Please? Thnx Renney.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Klaus*

The shine is off. Glad I didn't watch this one.

Should have been 1-5 on this road trip. A 5 game losing streak avoided only by a fluke win against Montreal.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Difference of course being that we weren't dominated in the Boston game like we were against Washington, Detroit, and now Chicago.
Uhhh, what??? I thought we were dominated the MOST in the Boston game. By quite a margin over the other games/teams.

Washington, Detroit and Chicago didn't outright dominate Edmonton. They just outplayed them and capitalized on all their best chances (well, not Washington).

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evil Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post

Edit: Forgot communism > Democracy
There ya go.

Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

Well, at least the Eskimos won

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Come on gang, are we really surprised?

The word 'growing pains' perfectly describes this team imo, and in all honesty, it's fine.

This year isn't about making the playoffs or winning, it's about developing our players. Winning is secondary imo.

Losing was always going to happen, especially considering the way our D had been playing the first 10ish games.
Then why is our coach trotting out non young guys to play so much? Please tell freaking renny it is a 'development' year again.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Last would be tough to stomach, bottom 5 would be fine by me because we could sure use another high end player.

I'm not too sure, but playing him another shift or two there wouldn't have hurt anybody.
Where do you have room for all these high draft picks?

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

The best shift Hall and RNH had was when Paajarvi was on the line. Yet the only had one shift. I don't get it.

I have no idea why Renney keeps giving Belanger powerplay time. I know he wins face offs, but my god is he killing any flow we have out there. I'd rather have a minute of power play after breaking into the zone compared to him out there with the puck.

Jeff Petry is not ready. I really like the kid, and have some hope for him, but he looks less and less ready the more he plays. His main asset is offense yet, he is tossing hand grenades into the feet of others, and making poor decisions. Teubert looked better than Petry has at any point this season.

I know I know, broken record, but Omark played with Belanger and did nothing, however, noone does anything with Belanger. I think he should be given a chance with anyone but the black hole of offense Belanger is.

If Whitney isn't going to be ready in a couple days I feel the Oil need another defenceman. We will not stay competitive with Petry and Peckham in the line up.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
RoboNerdOK

I would have preferred a .500 road trip... but this is not unexpected.

The sky is not falling folks. This is part of the process of a young team learning to compete amongst the world's elite hockey players, including three recent Cup winners in a row.

RoboNerdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:40 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
The shine is off. Glad I didn't watch this one.

Should have been 1-5 on this road trip. A 5 game losing streak avoided only by a fluke win against Montreal.
Yep, pretty much. Perhaps this will awake Tamby and he will come to the realization that we need help on the backend. Fix it now and we could stay in the playoff race all year, IMO.

Really loved RNH game today. Hall was hard working as well. At least tonight he had 3-4 chances.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Then why is our coach trotting out non young guys to play so much? Please tell freaking renny it is a 'development' year again.
Your right, that's why RNH, Eberle and Hall compose 3-4-5 in terms of ES time on the squad.

Or how they compose 1-2-3 in terms of total PP time on squad.

But your right, we should trot them out against the hardest opposition possible and as much as possible, because last time it worked so well, and Gagner, Nilsson and Cogliano have definitely developed like we hoped.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Evil Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Where do you have room for all these high draft picks?
Trades?

Old
11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
spot

I'm still not understanding why Renney doesn't just decide on having 2 scoring lines and an elite checking line? Commit to our top 6 and let them gain chemistry.

Hall Hopkins Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Smyth Horcoff Jones
Eager Belanger Petrell

This provides us with the best balance.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The best shift Hall and RNH had was when Paajarvi was on the line. Yet the only had one shift. I don't get it.

I have no idea why Renney keeps giving Belanger powerplay time. I know he wins face offs, but my god is he killing any flow we have out there. I'd rather have a minute of power play after breaking into the zone compared to him out there with the puck.

Jeff Petry is not ready. I really like the kid, and have some hope for him, but he looks less and less ready the more he plays. His main asset is offense yet, he is tossing hand grenades into the feet of others, and making poor decisions. Teubert looked better than Petry has at any point this season.

I know I know, broken record, but Omark played with Belanger and did nothing, however, noone does anything with Belanger. I think he should be given a chance with anyone but the black hole of offense Belanger is.

If Whitney isn't going to be ready in a couple days I feel the Oil need another defenceman. We will not stay competitive with Petry and Peckham in the line up.
I see no reason why Paajarvi couldn't have been given just 1 more shift on that line, if it sucks then yank him, what kind of message does it send when you pull a player of of a line when the previous shift he played well and looked to have fit well?

As for Belanger, I don't get it, on top of that he came out in the 3rd and Paajarvi was benched which was...... interesting. Jones is a good role player, but playing him with Paajarvi and Gagner probably isn't a very good idea. I'd like to see Omark up here again before he walks or gets moved. And yes away from Belanger.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:45 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Just here to say this. Can't believe people here are already saying Hall is a bust. He had his chances, but not everytime the puck will go in due to hitting the posts or the goalies made a hot save. Hall>Seguin still stands. Why? Hall is unlucky whereas Seguin has been getting lucky bounces.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Your right, that's why RNH, Eberle and Hall compose 3-4-5 in terms of ES time on the squad.

Or how they compose 1-2-3 in terms of total PP time on squad.

But your right, we should trot them out against the hardest opposition possible and as much as possible, because last time it worked so well, and Gagner, Nilsson and Cogliano have definitely developed like we hoped.
And mps, gagner and such are all back seat drivers while Horcatross is out there more than anyone every single game and losing draws on a record pace.

What is your goal, to get the young guys playing time and live with mistakes or not? You can't have it both ways.

Old
Evil Ernie

The thing that sucks is now I have to wait until Thursday to watch the Oilers play (lose to) the Sens.

Old
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Thank god the trip is over. With 3 days to practice/rest, and an easier schedule, we should get back to winning hopefully....

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote