HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Bigger HW fight

View Poll Results: Bigger Fight
Fedor vs Cro Cop 7 46.67%
Velasquez vs JDS 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Bigger HW fight

There's been discussion over on Sherdog that Velasquez/JDS is bigger than Fedor/Cro Cop. I personally don't think it is.

What do you believe is the bigger fight.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by End of Line: 11-03-2011 at 11:53 AM.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Fedor/Cro Cop had the benefit of being built to for a while. Fedor was dominant, and after Cro Cop squashed Randleman in return for that upset loss, the hype train was in full effect and that was THE fight. So yeah, for me it's that one.

The only heavyweight fight that could compare right now is if Overeem and Cain went on separate long win streaks before fighting each other.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Fedor/Cro Cop had the benefit of being built to for a while. Fedor was dominant, and after Cro Cop squashed Randleman in return for that upset loss, the hype train was in full effect and that was THE fight. So yeah, for me it's that one.

The only heavyweight fight that could compare right now is if Overeem and Cain went on separate long win streaks before fighting each other.
Well if Cain and Overeem win their fights coming up then you likely have exactly that matchup. Cain would have 10 straight and Overeem 11 or 12 I think (and a NC against Crocop)

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
m9

How are people defining "bigger"? I think its the "biggest" fight in UFC history, purely because it's on Fox. From a pure MMA standpoint, taking out whose watching it and the money involved.. no, I think Fedor/Crocop still holds that.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
How are people defining "bigger"? I think its the "biggest" fight in UFC history, purely because it's on Fox. From a pure MMA standpoint, taking out whose watching it and the money involved.. no, I think Fedor/Crocop still holds that.
This is how I look at it as well. The UFC being on a basic cable channel is absolutely huge. This matchup is basically introducing MMA to the masses.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
BGDDYKWL

I think for me what makes Fedor-Cro Cop the bigger fight was the aura that went with it. There was a mystique about Fedor because he had never lost, and I remember Cro Cop fans talking about him like he was some mythical legend. That added a lot to that particular fight. Sure Cain and JDS are both very accomplished fighters, but that's where it ends. There isn't that special something that this fight has that the Fedor-Cro Cop fight did. Brock had that when he first broke in and also after he beat Couture and Mir because he was larger than life. He was an attraction. Cro Cop had that with the whole right leg hospital, left leg cemetery idea, and Fedor obviously did because he was unbeaten. And sure Cain's undefeated, and JDS has quite the resume, but it's just not the same. Obviously we won't get our answer as this one's free on Fox, but in terms of PPV numbers I would bet even Lesnar-Overeem might've been a bigger fight than this one.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
DeathFromAbove

The hype surrounding the Fedor/Cro Cop fight was larger than life. Two unstoppable forces colliding head on. Cain/JDS is more important for the sport because it's the Fox debut but the fight itself isn't "bigger" than Fedor/CC

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I think for me what makes Fedor-Cro Cop the bigger fight was the aura that went with it. There was a mystique about Fedor because he had never lost, and I remember Cro Cop fans talking about him like he was some mythical legend. That added a lot to that particular fight. Sure Cain and JDS are both very accomplished fighters, but that's where it ends. There isn't that special something that this fight has that the Fedor-Cro Cop fight did. Brock had that when he first broke in and also after he beat Couture and Mir because he was larger than life. He was an attraction. Cro Cop had that with the whole right leg hospital, left leg cemetery idea, and Fedor obviously did because he was unbeaten. And sure Cain's undefeated, and JDS has quite the resume, but it's just not the same. Obviously we won't get our answer as this one's free on Fox, but in terms of PPV numbers I would bet even Lesnar-Overeem might've been a bigger fight than this one.
Of course Lesnar/Overeem would sell more PPV's, that's not even a question. I bet it would do almost twice as many as a JDS/Cain PPV.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:20 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Of course Lesnar/Overeem would sell more PPV's, that's not even a question. I bet it would do almost twice as many as a JDS/Cain PPV.
It's gonna be interesting to see how it does because I think Lesnar lost a lot of his mystique, and thus a lot of his drawing power. He'll get some of it back if he convincingly beats Overeem, but I don't see this PPV drawing anywhere near the numbers Lesnar's last few did. We'll see.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:40 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's gonna be interesting to see how it does because I think Lesnar lost a lot of his mystique, and thus a lot of his drawing power. He'll get some of it back if he convincingly beats Overeem, but I don't see this PPV drawing anywhere near the numbers Lesnar's last few did. We'll see.
I think the numbers will be down because its a Friday night, but I agree a bit of the shine is off on Lesnar. More than anything I just think JDS and Cain are nowhere near draws yet which is why Lesnar wins that battle.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:21 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Fedor/CC also had pretty much the best hype video ever

Still get chills watching that.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I almost think Overeem/Lesnar is a bigger HW fight than Cain/JDS.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I almost think Overeem/Lesnar is a bigger HW fight than Cain/JDS.
Of course it is, it doesn't get any bigger than Overeem vs Lesnar.....

Last edited by Avs_19: 11-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
DaaaaB's

I'd assume that everyone who voted for Cain/JDS just started watching MMA in the last few years.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:08 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I'd assume that everyone who voted for Cain/JDS just started watching MMA in the last few years.
Well, it all comes down to how you define biggest fight. In a pure sporting sense, I would give Velasquez/Cain the slight edge. Both fights feature the top two heavyweights in the world, but mma training and the athleticism of the fighters has taken a big step forward. In terms of hype and build up, obviously Fedor/Cro Cop stands above all else in the minds of hardcore fans.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think when we look back on this, JDS v. Cain will be ranked ahead. If solely because it began the REAL jump of the UFC to the mainstream. As of now, though, it has yet to surpass the Fedor v. Cro Cop fight. We won't be able to analyze its impact for a while.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think when we look back on this, JDS v. Cain will be ranked ahead. If solely because it began the REAL jump of the UFC to the mainstream. As of now, though, it has yet to surpass the Fedor v. Cro Cop fight. We won't be able to analyze its impact for a while.
Crazy fact: neither Cain nor Velasquez have lost a round in the UFC.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Crazy fact: neither Cain nor Velasquez have lost a round in the UFC.
Yeah, but Kongo had Velasquez in trouble a few times and he took that fight on short notice.

Old
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
ushvinder

Im sure the cro cop hype got more hype, i mean after all thats what he was, hype.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:13 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Im sure the cro cop hype got more hype, i mean after all thats what he was, hype.
During his days in Pride he was more than just hype.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:32 AM
ushvinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
During his days in Pride he was more than just hype.
Not in the big fights, he always found ways to disappoint.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
What, against Fedor? Everyone who faced Fedor lost. Cro Cop was the most devastating striker at the time other than Wanderlei.

Old
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
The 2006 Pride Grand Prix for example. The crown disappointment of CC's career.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
The 2006 Pride Grand Prix for example. The crown disappointment of CC's career.
Such a disappointment.