HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Bigger HW fight

View Poll Results: Bigger Fight
Fedor vs Cro Cop 7 46.67%
Velasquez vs JDS 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
  #1
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 20,353
vCash: 500
Bigger HW fight

There's been discussion over on Sherdog that Velasquez/JDS is bigger than Fedor/Cro Cop. I personally don't think it is.

What do you believe is the bigger fight.




__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by End of Line: 11-03-2011 at 11:53 AM.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:48 PM
  #2
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,225
vCash: 500
Awards:
Fedor/Cro Cop had the benefit of being built to for a while. Fedor was dominant, and after Cro Cop squashed Randleman in return for that upset loss, the hype train was in full effect and that was THE fight. So yeah, for me it's that one.

The only heavyweight fight that could compare right now is if Overeem and Cain went on separate long win streaks before fighting each other.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:12 PM
  #3
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Fedor/Cro Cop had the benefit of being built to for a while. Fedor was dominant, and after Cro Cop squashed Randleman in return for that upset loss, the hype train was in full effect and that was THE fight. So yeah, for me it's that one.

The only heavyweight fight that could compare right now is if Overeem and Cain went on separate long win streaks before fighting each other.
Well if Cain and Overeem win their fights coming up then you likely have exactly that matchup. Cain would have 10 straight and Overeem 11 or 12 I think (and a NC against Crocop)

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
  #4
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
How are people defining "bigger"? I think its the "biggest" fight in UFC history, purely because it's on Fox. From a pure MMA standpoint, taking out whose watching it and the money involved.. no, I think Fedor/Crocop still holds that.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
  #5
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
How are people defining "bigger"? I think its the "biggest" fight in UFC history, purely because it's on Fox. From a pure MMA standpoint, taking out whose watching it and the money involved.. no, I think Fedor/Crocop still holds that.
This is how I look at it as well. The UFC being on a basic cable channel is absolutely huge. This matchup is basically introducing MMA to the masses.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
  #6
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
I think for me what makes Fedor-Cro Cop the bigger fight was the aura that went with it. There was a mystique about Fedor because he had never lost, and I remember Cro Cop fans talking about him like he was some mythical legend. That added a lot to that particular fight. Sure Cain and JDS are both very accomplished fighters, but that's where it ends. There isn't that special something that this fight has that the Fedor-Cro Cop fight did. Brock had that when he first broke in and also after he beat Couture and Mir because he was larger than life. He was an attraction. Cro Cop had that with the whole right leg hospital, left leg cemetery idea, and Fedor obviously did because he was unbeaten. And sure Cain's undefeated, and JDS has quite the resume, but it's just not the same. Obviously we won't get our answer as this one's free on Fox, but in terms of PPV numbers I would bet even Lesnar-Overeem might've been a bigger fight than this one.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
  #7
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
The hype surrounding the Fedor/Cro Cop fight was larger than life. Two unstoppable forces colliding head on. Cain/JDS is more important for the sport because it's the Fox debut but the fight itself isn't "bigger" than Fedor/CC

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM
  #8
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I think for me what makes Fedor-Cro Cop the bigger fight was the aura that went with it. There was a mystique about Fedor because he had never lost, and I remember Cro Cop fans talking about him like he was some mythical legend. That added a lot to that particular fight. Sure Cain and JDS are both very accomplished fighters, but that's where it ends. There isn't that special something that this fight has that the Fedor-Cro Cop fight did. Brock had that when he first broke in and also after he beat Couture and Mir because he was larger than life. He was an attraction. Cro Cop had that with the whole right leg hospital, left leg cemetery idea, and Fedor obviously did because he was unbeaten. And sure Cain's undefeated, and JDS has quite the resume, but it's just not the same. Obviously we won't get our answer as this one's free on Fox, but in terms of PPV numbers I would bet even Lesnar-Overeem might've been a bigger fight than this one.
Of course Lesnar/Overeem would sell more PPV's, that's not even a question. I bet it would do almost twice as many as a JDS/Cain PPV.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:20 PM
  #9
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Of course Lesnar/Overeem would sell more PPV's, that's not even a question. I bet it would do almost twice as many as a JDS/Cain PPV.
It's gonna be interesting to see how it does because I think Lesnar lost a lot of his mystique, and thus a lot of his drawing power. He'll get some of it back if he convincingly beats Overeem, but I don't see this PPV drawing anywhere near the numbers Lesnar's last few did. We'll see.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:40 AM
  #10
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's gonna be interesting to see how it does because I think Lesnar lost a lot of his mystique, and thus a lot of his drawing power. He'll get some of it back if he convincingly beats Overeem, but I don't see this PPV drawing anywhere near the numbers Lesnar's last few did. We'll see.
I think the numbers will be down because its a Friday night, but I agree a bit of the shine is off on Lesnar. More than anything I just think JDS and Cain are nowhere near draws yet which is why Lesnar wins that battle.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:21 AM
  #11
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Fedor/CC also had pretty much the best hype video ever



Still get chills watching that.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
  #12
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
I almost think Overeem/Lesnar is a bigger HW fight than Cain/JDS.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
  #13
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I almost think Overeem/Lesnar is a bigger HW fight than Cain/JDS.
Of course it is, it doesn't get any bigger than Overeem vs Lesnar.....






Last edited by Avs_19: 11-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:42 AM
  #14
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
I'd assume that everyone who voted for Cain/JDS just started watching MMA in the last few years.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:08 PM
  #15
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I'd assume that everyone who voted for Cain/JDS just started watching MMA in the last few years.
Well, it all comes down to how you define biggest fight. In a pure sporting sense, I would give Velasquez/Cain the slight edge. Both fights feature the top two heavyweights in the world, but mma training and the athleticism of the fighters has taken a big step forward. In terms of hype and build up, obviously Fedor/Cro Cop stands above all else in the minds of hardcore fans.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
  #16
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think when we look back on this, JDS v. Cain will be ranked ahead. If solely because it began the REAL jump of the UFC to the mainstream. As of now, though, it has yet to surpass the Fedor v. Cro Cop fight. We won't be able to analyze its impact for a while.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
  #17
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think when we look back on this, JDS v. Cain will be ranked ahead. If solely because it began the REAL jump of the UFC to the mainstream. As of now, though, it has yet to surpass the Fedor v. Cro Cop fight. We won't be able to analyze its impact for a while.
Crazy fact: neither Cain nor Velasquez have lost a round in the UFC.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
  #18
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Crazy fact: neither Cain nor Velasquez have lost a round in the UFC.
Yeah, but Kongo had Velasquez in trouble a few times and he took that fight on short notice.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
  #19
ushvinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Im sure the cro cop hype got more hype, i mean after all thats what he was, hype.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:13 PM
  #20
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 20,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Im sure the cro cop hype got more hype, i mean after all thats what he was, hype.
During his days in Pride he was more than just hype.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:32 AM
  #21
ushvinder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
During his days in Pride he was more than just hype.
Not in the big fights, he always found ways to disappoint.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
  #22
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 20,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Not in the big fights, he always found ways to disappoint.
What, against Fedor? Everyone who faced Fedor lost. Cro Cop was the most devastating striker at the time other than Wanderlei.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
  #23
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Not in the big fights, he always found ways to disappoint.
The 2006 Pride Grand Prix for example. The crown disappointment of CC's career.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
  #24
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 20,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
The 2006 Pride Grand Prix for example. The crown disappointment of CC's career.
Such a disappointment.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.