Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
when he suspends him... use your head?
How about we use Bob McKenzie's head?

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Just a reminder: a hearing being scheduled doesn't always result in a suspension. It may but it's not a sure thing.
Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
When a team has a lull in the schedule, as BOS does, it's not unusual for Shanahan to take time to further investigate and ruminate.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
XtremeofParanoia

So, has any member of the Sabres' organization or any media members out there confirmed that Miller's concussion is as a result of the Lucic hit? Call me crazy, but I think the collision that occured between Seguin and Miller could've been of a more impactful nature and would explain why Miller left during the 2nd intermission and not right after being hit by Looch.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
BruinsHockey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Hitting a goalie is not a suspendable offense. It's a penalty.

Intent to injure is a suspendable offense. I don't see intent to injure.

And a hearing is not a suspension.
Yes, but to me, it did not look like he made any effort at all to avoid contact. I am aware that hitting a goalie is not suspendable, but the magnitude of the hit, combined with the charge, the follow through with the hands, and the fact that he sent Miller flying is what I think makes it worth the look that it is getting. Just because a goalie is outside of the crease does not make him a skater which you can deliver a body check on.

"69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent."

It's not as if Miller just skated behind the net to stop the puck, and someone gave him a shove after he got rid of it which caused him to lose his balance and fall down...That is what I feel just a penalty is worth, but what happened with Lucic I feel deserves a look.

BruinsHockey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:05 PM
therattdog

Also, I just realized that Miller's head never hit the ice after Lucic hit him, so if he did in fact cause the concussion, it had to have been a headshot and general consensus seems to be that it wasn't.

therattdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
putabergeronthegrill

on a related note, what does our first line look like without looch for a few games? Do we bump Peverley up? Sure seems like the second line is untouchable right now.

putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by therattdog View Post
Also, I just realized that Miller's head never hit the ice after Lucic hit him, so if he did in fact cause the concussion, it had to have been a headshot and general consensus seems to be that it wasn't.
Miller has a history of concussions, and was probably suffering from one all season (which would explain his subpar efforts in net this year). Either one, or both, of the hit from Lucic or when Sekera, or whoever it was, pushed Seguin into Miller could've aggravated it further causing him to go on the injury list.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Ugh. Made a mistake and decided to post in the thread on this subject on the main board. I think I have a headache.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Anyone want to start a pool at how quickly this site crashes when the word comes out that Lucic gets no suspension?

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:09 PM
putabergeronthegrill

sorry

Last edited by putabergeronthegrill: 11-13-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: double post
putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
PJ1991

Pretend this hit happened on Thomas instead. Obviously whoever did it would have either 1.) Been pummeled by whatever Bruins were on the ice or 2.) Been pummeled by Tim Thomas himself. Does anyone think whatever Buffalo player made the hit would be going to a hearing tomorrow? I think not. Now what if someone on Buffalo had just had the stones to drop them with Lucic right then and there and Looch went for 2 min + 5 for fighting? I still think it's a lot less likely we see a hearing. I honestly believe this is a result of Buffalo not being able to stick up for themselves. So if I'm right, and I'm not throwing this out there as factual stuff, this is just my interpretation of a "what if" scenario, are we really at the point where the league is going to stick up for teams that can't match the game brought by Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc? Not sure where anyone else stands on this but the way I'm viewing it, if Lucic walks away tomorrow with a suspension, it's not a good sign of the direction this league is heading in.

PJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
I'm looking forward to Shanahan's little instructional video on how he is going to suspend Lucic for a clear as day shoulder to shoulder hit.
I was thinking the same thing- that hit was not to the head, but shoulder on shoulder. Just because Miller's a wimp and falls down with contact, and his mask went flying, does not make the hit a head-hunting move. Lucic got 2 minutes for touching the goalie and making him fall down. Punishment served.

Did anyone happen to see that immediate swinging stick/ax move by Miller, trying to take Lucic out at the knees? Why is the hit suspendable, unless the NoHitLeague wants to set a new precedence- to protect the wandering goalies? How about Miller's "intent to injure" stick swing? a few inches closer and Lucic would have suffered a double knee slash. Nothing for that?

and is Shanahan trying to justify his job? Or does he just like seeing himself in those little instructional videos? Enough!

Lam7825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:12 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey74 View Post
Yes, but to me, it did not look like he made any effort at all to avoid contact. I am aware that hitting a goalie is not suspendable, but the magnitude of the hit, combined with the charge, the follow through with the hands, and the fact that he sent Miller flying is what I think makes it worth the look that it is getting. Just because a goalie is outside of the crease does not make him a skater which you can deliver a body check on.

"69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent."

It's not as if Miller just skated behind the net to stop the puck, and someone gave him a shove after he got rid of it which caused him to lose his balance and fall down...That is what I feel just a penalty is worth, but what happened with Lucic I feel deserves a look.
What bothers me is that you're technically right. The onus is on Lucic to realize what's going on and decide his next move based on the situation and that bums me the hell out.

The fact that Lucic has to play that loose puck differently because it's a goalie going out to meet the puck and not a defender really pisses me off.

Lucic can easily explain himself by saying his head was down the whole time racing to the puck and didn't see Miller until the last possible second and braced himself for impact and couldn't get out of the way in time.
Shanahan can choose to suspend Lucic but it would be completely based on the face Lucic had his head down and wasn't "surveying" the ice on his breakaway. Which would be asinine in my opinion.

There's also no way to pinpoint that this is when Miller got a concussion (if he has one) considering Seguin plowed into him a few minutes later thanks to his defenseman.

Hopefully this is nothing. I am going to start worrying about this league if there is a suspension though.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:16 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post

Miller 2 minutes for checking Looch

Looks like Miller is certainly willing to take the hit there. Why is no one on his case for not diving out of the way?

If Lucic really wanted to hit Miller, he would have absolutely destroyed him. Ryan should be calling Milan up and thanking him, imo

Old
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
BruinsHockey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
What bothers me is that you're technically right. The onus is on Lucic to realize what's going on and decide his next move based on the situation and that bums me the hell out.

The fact that Lucic has to play that loose puck differently because it's a goalie going out to meet the puck and not a defender really pisses me off.

Lucic can easily explain himself by saying his head was down the whole time racing to the puck and didn't see Miller until the last possible second and braced himself for impact and couldn't get out of the way in time.
Shanahan can choose to suspend Lucic but it would be completely based on the face Lucic had his head down and wasn't "surveying" the ice on his breakaway. Which would be asinine in my opinion.

There's also no way to pinpoint that this is when Miller got a concussion (if he has one) considering Seguin plowed into him a few minutes later thanks to his defenseman.

Hopefully this is nothing. I am going to start worrying about this league if there is a suspension though.
The only thing I do not agree with you on is the head down thing. You can see that he braces for a hit (stops skating) when he gets to the top of the circle. Miller was basically at the dot, thats 15 feet he had to get out of the way (yes I know he was going very, very fast). But once the puck got that far ahead of him, he had to of known that Miller would have come out to play that puck. No goalie is going to stay in the net and let the puck roll to the hash marks and give the shooter an opportunity from there. They're going to do everything possible to avoid a break away.

By the time Lucic knew he wasn't getting to that puck, he lined up for a hit. I think what is confusing people is that when they watch the tape, they are seeing that there is a significantly less amount of time between Miller getting rid of the puck and the contact, and Miller first touching the puck and making contact. Once Miller touches the puck, theres no reason for anyone to run him like that, maybe take a poke or a whack, but not a full body check.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
How about we use Bob McKenzie's head?
sounds like you're mad

hockeybpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:25 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
The only thing I do not agree with you on is the head down thing. You can see that he braces for a hit (stops skating) when he gets to the top of the circle. Miller was basically at the dot, thats 15 feet he had to get out of the way (yes I know he was going very, very fast). But once the puck got that far ahead of him, he had to of known that Miller would have come out to play that puck. No goalie is going to stay in the net and let the puck roll to the hash marks and give the shooter an opportunity from there. They're going to do everything possible to avoid a break away.

By the time Lucic knew he wasn't getting to that puck, he lined up for a hit. I think what is confusing people is that when they watch the tape, they are seeing that there is a significantly less amount of time between Miller getting rid of the puck and the contact, and Miller first touching the puck and making contact. Once Miller touches the puck, theres no reason for anyone to run him like that, maybe take a poke or a whack, but not a full body check.
We can talk all we want about it but that doesn't change the fact that Lucic was flying down the ice. A guy who isn't known for his skating by the way.. and this all happened within what? about 4 seconds from the moment he blocked the shot?

It sure is easy to say he had time when we have the benefit of slow motion replays. Looks to me he didn't.

And if you're going to get on Lucic for not getting out of the way, You have to get on Miller too. he knew the hit was coming.. you can see it in that screen cap of the video that was posted. He's aggressively bracing for the impact. He could have dove out of the way more easily than Lucic could have. Just because there's a rule in place doesn't mean Miller has a magic bubble around him.. Miller was willing to take the hit to get a PP for his team. Plain and simple.

I would much rather Lucic hit Miller than accidently tweak his knee or fall into the boards at 30mph which could have happened

Old
11-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay12 View Post
I'm predicting about 5-8 games sense Miller's concussed and the fact that you can't lay out goalies.
wrong post !

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Anyone want to start a pool at how quickly this site crashes when the word comes out that Lucic gets no suspension?
No suspension, fine Miller for diving

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:40 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
sounds like you're mad
sounds like you were wrong and got called out

woops

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:40 PM
BruinsHockey74

Quote:
We can talk all we want about it but that doesn't change the fact that Lucic was flying down the ice. A guy who isn't known for his skating by the way.. and this all happened within what? about 4 seconds from the moment he blocked the shot?

It sure is easy to say he had time when we have the benefit of slow motion replays. Looks to me he didn't.

And if you're going to get on Lucic for not getting out of the way, You have to get on Miller too. he knew the hit was coming.. you can see it in that screen cap of the video that was posted. He's aggressively bracing for the impact. He could have dove out of the way more easily than Lucic could have. Just because there's a rule in place doesn't mean Miller has a magic bubble around him.. Miller was willing to take the hit to get a PP for his team. Plain and simple.

I would much rather Lucic hit Miller than accidently tweak his knee or fall into the boards at 30mph which could have happened
If you really think that Miller's plan was to go out, play the puck, get drilled by Milan Lucic who is known for his powerful hits, just to get a power play for his team while risking injury, with all do respect, that may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This isn't a 4th line grinder going down to block a shot risking injury to his face/bones...This is your number 1 goalie who has stood on his head for the past few seasons to keep your team in the playoff race and to be a Stanley Cup contender. I would find it very hard to believe that he would risk himself like that just for a power play if that is what you are arguing.

And no, I can't say that Miller did know the hit was coming. He was absolutely not expecting that at all. That still photo was a result of Miller shooting the puck to the side boards, which when goalies do, they end up rotating their body when playing the puck like that. That photo is misleading as it is just Miller's follow through on playing the puck to the boards. He may have lifted his glove hand once he realized that Lucic was not stopping, but he most definitely did not expect it.

If he did expect it, he probably would not have made the comments about respecting Lucic before the play and calling him gutless and a piece of ****.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:44 PM
CrashedFever

Quote:

You do realize that Miller just recently shot the puck off of the glass to clear the zone. That screen cap is extremely deceiving. If you didn't watch any video and just saw that still, sure it looks like that. But since Miller shot the puck off of the glass, he was in the follow through of the shot. Miller had no idea Lucic was going to hit him because he doesn't have to worry about that. It's illegal to hit a goalie and to me it looked like Lucic had clear intentions of hitting Miller from when he stopped skating.

Also, the league can suspend Lucic.
Quote:
69.7 Fines and Suspensions - An attacking player who, in the judgment of the Referee, initiates contact with the goalkeeper, whether inside or outside the crease, in a fashion that would otherwise warrant a penalty, will be assessed an appropriate penalty (minor or major and/or game misconduct) and will be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

CrashedFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
If you really think that Miller's plan was to go out, play the puck, get drilled by Milan Lucic who is known for his powerful hits, just to get a power play for his team while risking injury, with all do respect, that may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This isn't a 4th line grinder going down to block a shot risking injury to his face/bones...This is your number 1 goalie who has stood on his head for the past few seasons to keep your team in the playoff race and to be a Stanley Cup contender. I would find it very hard to believe that he would risk himself like that just for a power play if that is what you are arguing.

And no, I can't say that Miller did know the hit was coming. He was absolutely not expecting that at all. That still photo was a result of Miller shooting the puck to the side boards, which when goalies do, they end up rotating their body when playing the puck like that. That photo is misleading as it is just Miller's follow through on playing the puck to the boards. He may have lifted his glove hand once he realized that Lucic was not stopping, but he most definitely did not expect it.

If he did expect it, he probably would not have made the comments about respecting Lucic before the play and calling him gutless and a piece of ****.
You're not understanding me correctly at all.

At the last second Miller realizes Lucic isn't stopping and instead of avoiding the hit, you see Miller brace and even lean into Lucic on the hit.

He had time to flail backwards onto the ice and avoid 95% of the hit but instead he stood his ground probably hoping to get a big hit on Lucic. Instead Lucic flattens him and he throws a hissy fit.

Old
11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
No suspension, fine Miller for diving
Yes and don't forget the swinging of his goalie stick. He looked like a retard chopping down bamboo in the African wet forest.

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

I think this is good fuel for the rivalry but the hit was not suspendable. That said I think he will get suspened for a "general lack of discipline" and running the goalie in a way the league does not want to see at all.

As far as the Bruins go, I imagine Peverley will replace Looch for a couple of games. Too bad as this is the best Lucic has ever played, but Peverley is good as a fill in player.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:53 PM
BobbyAwe

The NHL 10 years from now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3kQ...eature=related

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote