HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

The Fire Murray/Carlyle Thread (Edit: Carlyle Fired)

Old
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Unholy

vCash: 500
The Fire Murray/Carlyle Thread (Edit: Carlyle Fired)

Here is the last page of our previous thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=828799&page=17

Was talked about and was decided to start a new thread rather than bumping the old.

Please keep this civil, do not attack the poster.

What happened this year:

Ducks extend Murray for four years:
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=554132

Carlyle Agrees to 3 year extension:
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=554132

11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

So, it seems we are stuck with them...

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
What, is this like an annual thing?

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

People always cry for coaches and GMs to be fired but great coaches and GMs don't grow on trees. We could do a lot worse.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
I'm more pissed off at the owner, honestly. He needs to understand that SoCal fans follow success, and to be successful, he's going to have to spend money. I wish we had a 'fan' owner, instead of a 'business' owner.

As Charles Kane would say, You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars next year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in, 60 years.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:18 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
What, is this like an annual thing?
Was tempted to make "The 2nd Annual Management Discussion" thread after Vancouver's game.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:25 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Fire kittens at Murray's balls

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'm more pissed off at the owner, honestly. He needs to understand that SoCal fans follow success, and to be successful, he's going to have to spend money. I wish we had a 'fan' owner, instead of a 'business' owner.

As Charles Kane would say, You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars next year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in, 60 years.
The problem is that it's more like "I lost $4M last year, and I'd lose closer to $14M if I spent to the cap this year, and if I do that for 5-7 years I'll have chewed through every dime of equity I've built in the franchise AND had to do so by liquifying other assets."

California fans are way too fickle. They support trendiness, and maybe success, but spending to the cap is far from a guarantee for success in the NHL. When was the last time NY was the least bit more successful than the Ducks in the playoffs? Or any of the other top spending teams outside of Pittsburgh or Detroit? Billionaires don't get to be billionaires throwing their money away.

As an aside, Capgeek is saying the Ducks are up to a cap of $61M - can someone not on a phone see if that's real?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Jesus Teemu

You can't blame it all on any one or two people. A little on the owners, mgmt, coaches, players.

At this time, RPG REALLY need wake the **** up and play better. It's pretty simple.

Last edited by Jesus Teemu: 11-13-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spell
Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
As an aside, Capgeek is saying the Ducks are up to a cap of $61M - can someone not on a phone see if that's real?
It looks to me just like that as well, at least.

I mean, I understand the point. Who wouldn't love to have an owner like Pegula in Buffalo. It would make things a lot more interesting. Trades would be easier to realize. Free agents could more easily be attracted. One could profit from taking assets from other teams for basically paying out contracts. It would make so many things easier. But at the same time, with those numbers, and the attendance, it's really hard to blame our owners, as much as we would profit from it.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
MxK1NGS

Kings fan coming in peace. And all I have to say is that your Murray is not the only Murray that is hated. Trade coaches?!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
The problem is that it's more like "I lost $4M last year, and I'd lose closer to $14M if I spent to the cap this year, and if I do that for 5-7 years I'll have chewed through every dime of equity I've built in the franchise AND had to do so by liquifying other assets."

California fans are way too fickle. They support trendiness, and maybe success, but spending to the cap is far from a guarantee for success in the NHL. When was the last time NY was the least bit more successful than the Ducks in the playoffs? Or any of the other top spending teams outside of Pittsburgh or Detroit? Billionaires don't get to be billionaires throwing their money away.

The fans came when we put together a championship caliber squad...and funnily enough, spent to the cap that year. The guy is worth almost two billion dollars, and I understand that is paper money (no pun intended), but I don't understand the point of owning a pro team and not doing everything it takes to win. It's not like the Ducks are any kind of primary income for Sameuli. I don't get what the point is.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
IDuck

i truely think BM would do himself wonders if he would just show his damn face more and pump the fans up a bit....it seems like there is such a disconnect between owner/management and fans.

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Jesus Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
i truely think BM would do himself wonders if he would just show his damn face more and pump the fans up a bit....it seems like there is such a disconnect between owner/management and fans.
Agree 100% I'm astounded that we haven't heard a statement from somebody. It's frustrating when there's no communication especially when the team's going like this.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
The fans came when we put together a championship caliber squad...and funnily enough, spent to the cap that year. The guy is worth almost two billion dollars, and I understand that is paper money (no pun intended), but I don't understand the point of owning a pro team and not doing everything it takes to win. It's not like the Ducks are any kind of primary income for Sameuli. I don't get what the point is.
The salary cap in 2006-07 was $44M.

The salary cap this year is $64M.

The Ducks have some of the lowest ticket prices in the league. They were lowered this year. They STILL can't sell the place out. Or even, most nights, get it more than half full. Add to that the fact that attendance tends to increase the year AFTER success and the whole argument is pretty silly. Just do the math.

As to the whole he's worth 2 billion, ask Balsillie where all his RIM $$$ went. Pretty sure he didnt expect to be worth a fraction of what he was worth 3 years ago fortunes can disappear pretty quickly in the tech world. Again, billionaires don't get to be billionaires being stupid with their money.

It's all well and good for people who aren't paying the bills, or even for a large percentage of them buying tickets, to want to spend some other guys money. It's quite another to talk smack about him failing to do so unless they ante up and pay more. I can't afford more than I'm currently paying. I'm willing to accept that in a team not eligible for profit sharing he doesn't want to lose more money.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Dirk316

For starters it was a horrible decision to keep the Duck name even taking out the "Mighty" linking yourself to a Disney movie will not help bringing in a working class sportfan types and family are bored so they don't go. Most casual fans feel silly especially for a supposed tough sport like hockey. At least now we have a wuss team that matches the Disney image.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Selanne138

Quote:

It is true, but its taking into account 15 forwards, so it will be closer, if not under, 60, once we are healthy and 1-2 guys are sent down.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:47 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
The salary cap in 2006-07 was $44M.

The salary cap this year is $64M.

The Ducks have some of the lowest ticket prices in the league. They were lowered this year. They STILL can't sell the place out. Or even, most nights, get it more than half full. Add to that the fact that attendance tends to increase the year AFTER success and the whole argument is pretty silly. Just do the math.

As to the whole he's worth 2 billion, ask Balsillie where all his RIM $$$ went. Pretty sure he didnt expect to be worth a fraction of what he was worth 3 years ago fortunes can disappear pretty quickly in the tech world. Again, billionaires don't get to be billionaires being stupid with their money.

It's all well and good for people who aren't paying the bills, or even for a large percentage of them buying tickets, to want to spend some other guys money. It's quite another to talk smack about him failing to do so unless they ante up and pay more. I can't afford more than I'm currently paying. I'm willing to accept that in a team not eligible for profit sharing he doesn't want to lose more money.
Would you pay to go see a team thats won 2 games in its past 11?

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

You know it is not easy to be a fan of a team, sometimes everyone gets frustrated on the way things go. What all do you think will happen here? Carlyle is going no where, Murray is likely going no where in the near future. Will someone get traded? very possibly, and if that trade doesn't help the team quickly I would guess that Bob may be on his way out, but that is not for me to decide, there is a place to complain about the product that is being given to us, normally the answer from a business sense is : if you don't like the product don't buy it. If you are a fan that has faith then to quote Decatur : “Our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but right or wrong, our country!” For those who think they have an answer may agree with Schurz : “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

right now my country right or wrong is my country, we will see if I feel the same Friday!

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
For starters it was a horrible decision to keep the Duck name even taking out the "Mighty" linking yourself to a Disney movie will not help bringing in a working class sportfan types and family are bored so they don't go. Most casual fans feel silly especially for a supposed tough sport like hockey. At least now we have a wuss team that matches the Disney image.

What does this have to do with the GM or Coaches? I have never heard you say anything positive. Find me 10 sports teams that are not named after animals. "Mighty" was pretty dumb but what is wrong with Ducks? Nothing.

Last edited by Unholy: 11-13-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Some things not needed
Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Would you pay to go see a team thats won 2 games in its past 11?
I have season tickets. Already have.

The problem was people haven't been buying tickets the last few years when they were a cap team and making the playoffs. And if you aren't then you forfeit the right to ***** when the team doesn't get new players.

The Ducks are a low budget team. They could financially compete at $44M, and even then they were over budget but Samueli let the GM spend more. They can't compete at $64M. People need to speak with their wallets and buy tickets or accept that the team's days of dominance are likely over unless they draft really well.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:35 AM
airforceones25

We all complain how much we hate this team right now..But when we land the #1 pick this year we all will have and/or renew our season tickets next year. LOL

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Sirquacksalot
Raging Boner

Quote:
Isn't the salary floor this year almost what the cap was in 06-07?

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Isn't the salary floor this year almost what the cap was in 06-07?
The floor this year is actually 4.3M ABOVE the cap in 06-07....

Old
11-14-2011, 01:18 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Neither of them is going anywhere. Owners like Murray and he likes Carlyle and that's that.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote