HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dustin Penner out with hand injury

Old
11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Blikian29

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Penner was doing just fine. Too bad he got hurt. This was a case of the effort being there without the result, which is a hell of a lot better than what we were seeing last season. I'd rather he be snakebit than lazy.

Get well soon, Pens.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:45 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
All the issues of how it may affect him personally aside, what I don't get is why would you cheer that he's out? He plays for the Kings, and the Kings NEED him to regain his scoring touch and produce. Despite the fact that he will likely be replaced in the lineup by the indomitable Trent Hunter or Kevin Westgarth, it's far more likely that Penner finds his scoring touch than those players produce 10 goals combined all year. It's like cheering for the Kings to fail.
I agree completely.

As frustrating as Penner's slump has been, it's not going to get better with him being injured, and it doesn't make the city any more appealing when a mass of idiots who should be cheering for you, are instead cheering for your injury.

And unless Penner is some secret *********, which I haven't heard about, he deserves to be treated better by the fans. I'm pretty sure this slump is upsetting him more than us.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:01 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
people cheered last night when he was announced as a scratch
I was upset when I heard it from the few who cheered around me at the game, but then when I commented that he was hurt they had no idea. They were cheering based on the assumption it a healthy scratch. It was a dick thing to do regardless, but I think far fewer would have done it if they knew he was scratched because of an injury vs. thinking that Murray was message-sending with a benching.

That said, his been a significantly better player this year. Certainly not deserving of a cheer because he's out of the lineup.

He's in a contract year. Of course it's upsetting him. The last guy who had poor #'s for the Kings in a contract year is in Russia now. It's got to be very stressful.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The last guy who had poor #'s for the Kings in a contract year is in Russia now.
- T
NO HE'S NOT ... he's playing in CAROLINA

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I was upset when I heard it from the few who cheered around me at the game, but then when I commented that he was hurt they had no idea. They were cheering based on the assumption it a healthy scratch. It was a dick thing to do regardless, but I think far fewer would have done it if they knew he was scratched because of an injury vs. thinking that Murray was message-sending with a benching.

That said, his been a significantly better player this year. Certainly not deserving of a cheer because he's out of the lineup.

He's in a contract year. Of course it's upsetting him. The last guy who had poor #'s for the Kings in a contract year is in Russia now. It's got to be very stressful.

- T
Yeah, I agree. I don't even think it was a dick thing to do, if they cheered because they thought he was a healthy scratch. Effort there or not, sometimes a healthy cratch can served to let the player get away from the game for a day, and just watch. Maybe that mental break was what was needed. I know I've thought about scratching him for a game for just that reason and if they were thinking it as well, cheering for him to be a scrtach isn't a bad thing.

If they knew he was hurt and cheered, that's a different story.

As for Dustin himself, I'm sure everyone knows I was the biggest advocate to not do this trade and I rode him hard after. I still hate the trade, but I will give the guy kudos, he's worked hard and he doesn't deserve this right now. Production wise, last year with the Kings was better but I'd rather have the 2011-2012 version of Penner. At least he leaves you with the hope of something better and the knowledge that he's not a complete liability out there, possibly getting winded skating the length of the ice.

Get well soon Dustin, and I'm sure once that first goal goes in plenty more will follow!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
NO HE'S NOT ... he's playing in CAROLINA

And 17 games into this season, he's only two goals behind his total from all of last year...

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
All the issues of how it may affect him personally aside, what I don't get is why would you cheer that he's out? He plays for the Kings, and the Kings NEED him to regain his scoring touch and produce. Despite the fact that he will likely be replaced in the lineup by the indomitable Trent Hunter or Kevin Westgarth, it's far more likely that Penner finds his scoring touch than those players produce 10 goals combined all year. It's like cheering for the Kings to fail.
Exactly!

If a player is donning a kings jersey, you cheer for him as if he were part of your family. You encourage him through his struggles and cheer for his efforts even without results-ESPECIALLY without results. You don't keep kicking a player when he's down, that's just chicken****.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
And 17 games into this season, he's only two goals behind his total from all of last year...
He's also on pace for exactly the same number of points despite playing parts of the year alongside Staal and skating on the PP regularly.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
He's also on pace for exactly the same number of points despite playing parts of the year alongside Staal and skating on the PP regularly.
You do realize that Ponikarovsky has only ever been a 20 goal scorer right?

Even on a line with Staal and the PP it's not like he is a 40 goal potential guy...hell even a 30 goal guy.

Poni is a 20 goal guy, no more, no less NORMALLY. The fact that he only got a quarter of his normal production here says nothing about his effort, it says a lot about our system though.

I think people are delusional about the numbers of Ponikarovsky.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
I still think that Penner has been hurt all season.
I hope the time off allows whatever else to heal and he is productive when he comes off IR.
If he continues to suck, I might have to shank somebody.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Penner, one of the least liked players on the team by all accounts regardless of who you ask is now becoming injury plagued to boot.

This latest bug surely isn't going to endear him to his team mates or mgmt let along the angry masses.

Calling up Loko to play wing or moving Stoll to win on his line makes sense. I wonder who made the call?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If he continues to suck, I might have to shank somebody.
You have a lot of anger issues.

Penner will be back by Christmas.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Penner, one of the least liked players on the team by all accounts regardless of who you ask is now becoming injury plagued to boot.

This latest bug surely isn't going to endear him to his team mates or mgmt let along the angry masses.

Calling up Loko to play wing or moving Stoll to win on his line makes sense. I wonder who made the call?
Where did you get this? I thought he was well liked by his teammates. Seems like a great guy.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Some might some might not, take it for what it is or isn't worth.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Johnny Utah

I said it a month ago...trade him.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Dustin Penner is not very well liked by Chinese buffet owners. They say he is "too boo-koo."

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Where did you get that Ziggy? I heard that he is well liked at all #1 best chinese buffet franchises.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I notice that you didn't say which Christmas ...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Where did you get that Ziggy? I heard that he is well liked at all #1 best chinese buffet franchises.
It's the same source that told me that Allison and Deadmarsh would be ready by Christmas.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

Even on a line with Staal and the PP it's not like he is a 40 goal potential guy...hell even a 30 goal guy.

Poni is a 20 goal guy, no more, no less NORMALLY. The fact that he only got a quarter of his normal production here says nothing about his effort, it says a lot about our system though.

You realize that people here were criticizing TM for Poni's lack of production in LA last season, right?

Does his lack of production this season say a lot about Carolina's system as well? Maybe Staal just sucks?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You realize that people here were criticizing TM for Poni's lack of production in LA last season, right?

Does his lack of production this season say a lot about Carolina's system as well? Maybe Staal just sucks?
He's right back to his normal goal production and his shooting percentage is right back to his career average.

Both were well below normal in LA with Murray.

Old
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
You have a lot of anger issues.
I am beyond issues, I have an agenda.
Quote:
Holy crap! Sydor25 is Tim Lieweekly!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
He's right back to his normal goal production and his shooting percentage is right back to his career average.

Both were well below normal in LA with Murray.
He has what 3 goals in 17 games, is getting lots of PP time, and is playing with Eric Staal. What Poni is doing in Carolina is hardly worth writing home about. What did you want TM to do, play Poni with Kopitar?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

He had 5 goals in 61 games for us last year. He's on pace for 11 in 61 games this year playing top six minutes in an uptempo system with power play time. That's hardly a world of difference. Even in 82 games, he's only on pace for 15.

Ponikarovsky had 38 assists in 82 games in his best year in Toronto. This year, he's on pace for 5 in 82.

Expecting a player to contribute at better than a five-assist-per-season pace is not delusional. Dustin Penner is on a better pace than that and everyone knows he's been ineffective.

The numbers say nothing about any system and everything about his underwhelming play. I've seen him play my fair share this season and aside from playing the body well at times, like he did here, he's been totally mediocre. He wasn't just a poor fit or misemployed here, he's just not a very effective player anymore.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's the same source that told me that Allison and Deadmarsh would be ready by Christmas.
I can usually keep up with the silly around here but you've got me with this one. Who or what are you referring too?

Allison/Deadmarsh are very likely to be ready for Christmas this year. They made some great money playing hockey and both seem to be doing pretty well as civilians.