HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Canucks be #1 in the West?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Thalia

vCash: 500
Can Canucks be #1 in the West?

One more article from the Province that I enjoyed reading... it gives a nice brief description of the western conference teams and their predicaments. Maybe, just maybe the 'Nucks can win the WC title this year.

I know that's a reach but hey, you never know. Anything is possible and this year does seem a bit more plausible than others in the past.

Thoughts?

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/spor...5-7621AAA09B61

Old
10-30-2003, 10:47 AM
incawg

I'd be happy with just the NW

Old
10-30-2003, 11:29 AM
PigPen

I think they can. If the WCE scores as much as it did last year and the sedins keep improving, they'll be up there. Definately beating the dives for their division this season.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Well not anymore now that you've jinxed it. Sheesh.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:59 AM
petrishriekandgo

Well, considering the amazing defensive improvements by the whole team and the fact that the PP has SUCKED to this point and we're still tied for 1st in scoring in the league and have the 6th best defensive record... I'd say we're well on our way.

Why not go for the Presidents trophy???

Old
10-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Robert Paulson*

I think they can, if Cloutier can step up and be the true #1.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo

Why not go for the Presidents trophy???
Hell yeah! While we're at it why not the Cup? :p

Old
10-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Hobo

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Hell yeah! While we're at it why not the Cup? :p
Sounds great, but Phoenix, Calgary, Buffalo and the Blue Jackets is not exactly the acid test. If you saw the Ottawa-Habs game on Saturday you have to wonder how the Canucks will match up against a team like the Sens. Shaefer, Spezza, Hossa, Alfredsson, Bonk, Havlat ..... yikes. Some convincing wins against the Avs, NJ, Dallas might get me planning parade routes.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:19 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo
Sounds great, but Phoenix, Calgary, Buffalo and the Blue Jackets is not exactly the acid test. If you saw the Ottawa-Habs game on Saturday you have to wonder how the Canucks will match up against a team like the Sens. Shaefer, Spezza, Hossa, Alfredsson, Bonk, Havlat ..... yikes. Some convincing wins against the Avs, NJ, Dallas might get me planning parade routes.

Schaefer

Old
10-30-2003, 07:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

And other teams should be thinking: ''Naslund,Bertuzzi,Morrison,Ohlund,Jovanovski? Yikes.''

Old
10-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Yammer

If this is the season where Dan Cloutier fights off his skeptics and the demons of his own inconsistency (possibly linked to his famous temper), becoming an elite NHL netminder -- then yes, why not.

Up to now, the Canucks have been winning with offense.

What a treat for the long-suffering fan. Every night, they have the capability of putting on a spectacular clinic of ice vision, one-touch passing, smart backpedalling, and confident rushes from D-men.

What's noticable about the Canucks is their puck possession. They don't give up the puck a lot on rushes. Therefore, they are through three zones on a consistent basis. That creates pressure, which creates mistakes, and then opportunities for goal scorers, of which the Canucks have a surprising abundance. In addition to one of the league's most goal-happy D corps, they have two good offensive lines and a third line that is arguably the best in the league. Arvedson-Linden-Cooke are quietly racking up points while dishing out stifling, punishing defense.

It always comes back to Cloutier though. The playoff quest. If he's ever going to do it, now is the time. That makes for a natural amount of drama.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:05 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Canucks definately got a chance.....but beat Dallas and Detroit is a bit too much in my mind. These will be the top 3 teams in my mind, and I dont really care about those who say "Colorado blah blah blah". Without a goalie, and especially some checking, I find it hard to believe that they are a top 3 team in the west even with all the talent they have

Old
10-31-2003, 12:48 AM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Well, after watching games against the Dogs the Clothing and the Crowns, I don't think the Canucks will even make the playoffs

But seriously, the Canucks have really blown goats lately... they've stopped skating for shifts at a time and just let the opposition control the play at will in their own end of the ice. For the life of me, I can't understand why they choose to slowly skate the puck up ice when there are two forecheckers running amok in the Canucks zone. Even plus 12 Malik was doing it against the Kings. It was truly bizarre and unpleasant. Like walking on slugs. Lot's of slugs. In the rain in bare feet.

It was like the Canucks were trying to throw the game, but Cloutier wasn't in with the deal, and LA couldn't hit the net with half their shots. I would never have believed such an understaffed team could completely dominate another NHL team. And still the Kings lost. Very strange indeed.

Closed Thread