HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Solve pansy issue and acquire Colton Orr

Old
11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

vCash: 500
I'm sorry but didn't we expect Regehr to toughen us up and fight in times like these? I'm not saying he would be an enforcer but he's no softy either.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Let's hope that Pegula's and Regier's trade deadline targets are just that - guys like Doan, Iginla or Morrow.
They may want to start looking before the premium costs of deadline day.

11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
I'm sorry but didn't we expect Regehr to toughen us up and fight in times like these? I'm not saying he would be an enforcer but he's no softy either.
He's a hard player to play against, but he's not a fighter. Putting someone into the proverbial tunnel, sure. Dropping the mitts and dancing? Not usually his thing.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I like this idea. Having Orr available on the bench is a natural deterrent. The game last night reminded me of how Sedin and canucks were man handled by bruins. The refs didn't call this and the rest of the team stood around as marchand gave sedin a facial. This team is talented and very much like the Canucks but does not have the edge to deal with Boston. That is the Boston style and the Sabres will face this a number of times this year and in the playoffs eventually.

It seems to have become something of an urban legend that Marchand wasn't penalized for that; in fact, he got 2 minutes for roughing and a 10-minute misconduct. Sedin also received a misconduct, apparently for profanely berating the ref.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:29 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Ok, I'm a little pissed at the nada response last night from the players. I look at the Cup winners and not all of them play like the Bruins but there us a theme that we just don't posses...

I look at a guy like Jagr and I doubt he's ever fought in his career but I would never say he's a wuss, that you could take liberties with him. Vanek gets pounded game after game, who protects him? Plain and simple, you can win without being Bruin dirty but you need guys with size and backbones. Malkin, Datsuk, Hossa, Briere, Lecavilier, St Louis are not tough players but you don't push them around. 90% of the Sabres you do.

Glad it's a 3 year plan so they can address this flaw. We'll never win with this group. Grebe plays with a chip so I'll keep him but guys like Ennis, Sekera, MAG, and maybe Roy need to be leveraged to fix this. Size, talent and grit.

No goons like Orr. I don't want to get to the ECFs and get pushed around.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:28 PM
buffalowing88

I think it's a great idea to pursue outside help. We've got a guy like Boyes or when healthy even Hecht who would be much more valuable to another team than ours at this point. If we could trade them for another enforcer whom we dress only for certain games, I'm fine with it. I dont know that Toronto would want Boyes back after giving up on him awhile ago but the presence of Brad Boyes in OUR lineup is less important than the presence of a guy who will keep the other team in line.

And please don't suggest Kassian yet. He would get pounded by Lucic at this point in his development.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:31 AM
DJN21

I think it's a great idea to pursue outside help. We've got a guy like Boyes or when healthy even Hecht who would be much more valuable to another team than ours at this point. If we could trade them for another enforcer whom we dress only for certain games, I'm fine with it. I dont know that Toronto would want Boyes back after giving up on him awhile ago but the presence of Brad Boyes in OUR lineup is less important than the presence of a guy who will keep the other team in line.

And please don't suggest Kassian yet. He would get pounded by Lucic at this point in his development.

Hecht may never play againfor all we know so trading him isnt really an option. Boyes...ahh everyone's scapegoat...when he has good games we love to have him when he simply does all the little things right but doesnt hit the stat sheet we wanna throw him away. Furthermore Boyes never played a single game as a Maple Leaf...

And Kassian is one of the few legitimate suggestions that can be made...when did Lucic become so big and scary? he put 160lb Miller on his @$$ with a full head of steam...wow...same thing with Chara...these arent guys who chuck their fists particularly well they are just big boys...if you are embarrassed of the sabres not reacting and being soft in that game then its hypocritical to be scared for kassian to mix it up with Lucic...you are embodying the sissy sabres philosophy that everyone else wants to shake

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:42 AM
TMLOBI

There is still value in the NHL to have an enforcer in the lineup. We have two and they don't play every game.. but they are brought in when we play certain teams (ie BOSTON). It's the fear factor.. a player knows if they do something stupid then they will answer to a goon at some point.

Lucky for the Leafs we have a lot of players willing to play rough and throw down if the time is right. So we don't necessarily need an enforcer in the lineup even against a goon filled ASS HOLE TEAM LIKE THE GUTLESS BRUINS. Damnit that hit really pissed me off. To a ****ING GOALIE ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

And hey Orr's shooting% is 100% this year!

Not sure what Burke would want from a division rival for an enforcer.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:47 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
There is still value in the NHL to have an enforcer in the lineup. We have two and they don't play every game.. but they are brought in when we play certain teams (ie BOSTON). It's the fear factor.. a player knows if they do something stupid then they will answer to a goon at some point.

Lucky for the Leafs we have a lot of players willing to play rough and throw down if the time is right. So we don't necessarily need an enforcer in the lineup even against a goon filled ASS HOLE TEAM LIKE THE GUTLESS BRUINS. Damnit that hit really pissed me off. To a ****ING GOALIE ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

And hey Orr's shooting% is 100% this year!

Not sure what Burke would want from a division rival for an enforcer.
I am missing Peters right now lol

Old
11-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Boose30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Let's hope that Pegula's and Regier's trade deadline targets are just that - guys like Doan, Iginla or Morrow.
they need to address their needs now, if they wait to long it might be to late.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:06 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
they need to address their needs now, if they wait to long it might be to late.
thats fine and dandy from our persepctive but you;re assuming dallas,phoenix, or calgary are just packing it in for the year and trading their captains lol

Old
11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
If CGY. continues to lose Iginla should be on the table:

To Calgary:

Brad Boyes
Corey Tropp
Tyler Ennis
Joel Armia
1st Round Draft Pick 2013
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012 (Buf.)

To Buffalo:

Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Roy-Iginla
Gerbe-Gaustad-Stafford
McCormick-Glencross-Kaleta
Hecht

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:25 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
If CGY. continues to lose Iginla should be on the table:

To Calgary:

Brad Boyes
Corey Tropp
Tyler Ennis
Joel Armia
1st Round Draft Pick 2013
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012 (Buf.)

To Buffalo:

Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Roy-Iginla
Gerbe-Gaustad-Stafford
McCormick-Glencross-Kaleta
Hecht

Way more than Id be willing to give up personally though id love him on our team. i was interested until I read Armia

Old
11-14-2011, 01:38 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Way more than Id be willing to give up personally though id love him on our team. i was interested until I read Armia
You have to give to get..

Old
11-14-2011, 01:43 AM
DJN21

Quote:
You have to give to get..
I agree but even if we convert Armia into a 1st(which he was) thats 2 1st's a 2nd...and 3 roster spots for 1 player...assume iginla takes Boyes spot...and ellis takes...ennis's? That means our 13th player on our roster going into a playoff push is now Whitmore or Foligno? Maybe?...or Kassian?...

furthermore lets assume Boyes only scores 15(possible that im undercutting him) and that in an abbreviated year ennis scores 15...thats 30 goals. is iginla and his salary worth a potential extra 10 goals and giving up tropp, 2 firsts and a second?

Old
11-14-2011, 01:47 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I agree but even if we convert Armia into a 1st(which he was) thats 2 1st's a 2nd...and 3 roster spots for 1 player...assume iginla takes Boyes spot...and ellis takes...ennis's? That means our 13th player on our roster going into a playoff push is now Whitmore or Foligno? Maybe?...or Kassian?...

furthermore lets assume Boyes only scores 15(possible that im undercutting him) and that in an abbreviated year ennis scores 15...thats 30 goals. is iginla and his salary worth a potential extra 10 goals and giving up tropp, 2 firsts and a second?
yes, also Glencross who is playing Top 6 minutes in Cgy. Jarome is everything and more that this team needs, Glencross gives more depth down the middle.

Old
11-14-2011, 01:54 AM
DJN21

Quote:
yes, also Glencross who is playing Top 6 minutes in Cgy. Jarome is everything and more that this team needs, Glencross gives more depth down the middle.
just not willing to mortgage our future for a star ready to retire any year(and whom we cant afford going into next offseason).

not mention I think that if you wait until the deadline calgary bites on MUCH less than this

Old
11-14-2011, 02:22 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

A 34 yr. old, a 29 yr. old

For a LOT of our youth, and good talented youth, and picks.... Hmmmm.... Pass

Take Armia and our 1st round off the table and it isn't as painful. Still extremely painful, but barely acceptable.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:28 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
A 34 yr. old, a 29 yr. old

For a LOT of our youth, and good talented youth, and picks.... Hmmmm.... Pass

Take Armia and our 1st round off the table and it isn't as painful. Still extremely painful, but barely acceptable.
thank you...give them their 2nd back, ennis as a future 30 goal scorer and tropp as a throw in...u can keep glencross i dont want him and we'll call it even. if our 1st and armia are off the board im def in

Old
11-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Sigh.

Here we go again.

You don't "fix" it by acquiring a tough guy to throw up token fights.

Every team relies on some sort of a combination between skill, size and speed.
If your top players don't have size and don't play a physical game, you'll never be an intimidating team physically.
No matter how good your Peters is, if the other team has a Chara and Lucic, you'll end up physically inferior for the most important parts of the game, when the best players are on the ice.

Also, I'd like to throw two apparently common misconceptions out the window:

- teams need to be stupidly tough to win (Anaheim 06/07, Boston)...
Simply not true, every team has some guys that come through in the playoffs, but really, the most successful franchise in the last 20 years has never been what you might call "tough" (Detroit, ofc).
Chicago, Carolina, Pittsburgh... All had some toughness, but were never defined by it as Boston or Anaheim were.

- tough teams don't get their players run.
Utter nonsense. On that same mega-tough Boston team, Bergeron and Savard got rocked in the last couple of years.
Response? Token fight vs the guy that hit them, that's it.

-

If you want a team that has size and toughness as an identity, you'll have to:
- wait for guys like Kassian and Armia to break in, and hope they play a physical game
- basically change the make-up of the team (top-6/9 forwards need to have more size etc.)
- realize that the current team isn't built that way, and hasn't been built that way since the lockout.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Clock

It's a team issue, not a personnel issue.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:09 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
- tough teams don't get their players run.
Utter nonsense. On that same mega-tough Boston team, Bergeron and Savard got rocked in the last couple of years.
Response? Token fight vs the guy that hit them, that's it.
I totally agree with this. The Bruins can say, "We would respond if our goalie got run like that," but it doesn't prevent the hit. The only way to get rid of these types of hits is for Shanahan to outlaw them.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They may want to start looking before the premium costs of deadline day.
Unfortunately, I don't think Doan will be put on the market until a relocation of the franchise is imminent.

In the case of Iginla, I'm optimistic that Regier and Feaster seem to be willing and able partners.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Orr would do nothing to deter the Bruins. Lucic has already fought Orr and Rosehill and believe it or not he lived to tell about it...and Thornton handles Orr fine everytime they fight.... Do you guys think in this day and age people are afraid of who is on the bench? Guys like Kaleta, Ott and Cooke do their thing without a care in the world.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
I totally agree with this. The Bruins can say, "We would respond if our goalie got run like that," but it doesn't prevent the hit. The only way to get rid of these types of hits is for Shanahan to outlaw them.
Bruins always turned the other cheek...was infuriating...then game the 'Dallas" game and this team learned a new culture....maybe the next meeting will be your "Dallas" game...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote