HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller or Desharnais

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Lars Eller "The Great Dane" 128 92.09%
David Desharnais "deHARNAY" 11 7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2011, 08:30 AM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

vCash: 500
Eller or Desharnais

I really like both of these players especially Desharnais. DD reminds me of Koivu a bit (not comparing) using his strong center of gravity to shield the puck. He also DRIVES the net which i like. But then again hes 5'7" 170 ish pounds.
Would you rather have a 6'3" 215lb center with good speed and size and a big shot or a big playmaking center?

Eller is a good player with a potential to become a top six center. I think we have seen a lot of potential from him this year with his rather strong play. But i think there's so much more he can do but i just don't see him progressing offensively. 1. he has to get better on the face-offs. 2. He has to learn how to take a pass (not from Gomez) / how to shoot a one-timer. 3. Use his body and skating better.
Would you rather move him for a similar player that is younger and uses his 6'3" 215lb frame better the Eller does.

Who would you rather keep if one were to be traded?
ELLER or DESHARNAIS?

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Eller by a landslide and its not even close.

Eller = The Future
DD = Great complimentary Winger, that is being played as a center. A 40 point guy at most imo, and definitely expendable, while Eller is the first big center we've had in years that has great upside.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:38 AM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Eller and it's not even close

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Eller is a studly kinda player. Him over DD any day.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

The one Pierre Houde continuously refers to as "l'harceleur".

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
ak90210

Anyone who doesn't say Eller shouldn't be taken seriously.

ak90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Gally11

Eller is a few years younger as well isn't he?

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Eller. I'd say it's close, but I'd be lying.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Eller is listed as 6'2, but is closer to 6'1 than 6'3, but its clear that the choice is Eller, DD isn't strong enough to play centre and it shows on how bad he is on faceoffs. I really like DD, and he is better as a centre, but I think the best thing is to have him play LW.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Young Gun

Eller needs to find the back of the net, not next year or the year after, needs to find it soon. You can have all the tools you want to do a job but the job don't get done on its own, you have to finish it !!! Teams have had player's like Eller in the past and they never
did produce. Top six players have to show up on the score sheet.. Hope Eller turns out to be a vinny !!!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
windycity

DD definitely!

and by DD, I mean the Danish Dude

you can't teach size

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Optimus Price

DD is better now and Eller will be much better in the future. I'd obviously rather keep Eller (more upside, bigger, grittier, etc.). But Desharnais is a great complimentaty player and has a lot of heart. I don't understand why he is getting so much hate from this board.

That being said, the answer is Eller by a wide margin. Anyone who would say Desharnais is insane. I don't know how you could ask for such a question though.

Optimus Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Andy

Eller. Even if he doesn't end up scoring as much as DD...why? Because Eller plays a much more complete game and is much more versatile. Once he gets better at faceoofs, look for Eller to be thrown into key situations more so than he is now.

Desharnais is getting all the opportunities to produce, first wave PP time, second in icetime for centers, he gets two offensive linemates who have size.

If eller's gonna score 40 points this year they would have to all come at even strength, doing so would put him at the top of the centers in the league. It would be absurd to expect that level of ES production from him.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
3. Use his body and skating better.
I thought these were his best assets so far, along with his stick handling. He effectively uses his body to protect the puck better than anyone on our team, and he's one of the quickest guys on our team. Unless you mean he should be hitting more, but I don't really agree there.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
DD reminds me of Koivu a bit (not comparing) using his strong center of gravity to shield the puck.
Not sure if serious

I love DD, but voted for Eller (there's a poll, right?)

That being said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If eller's gonna score 40 points this year they would have to all come at even strength, doing so would put him at the top of the centers in the league. It would be absurd to expect that level of ES production from him.
If DD was able to get 22 pts in 43 games last year, Eller should be able to get in the 30-40 pts range this year. He's gotta stop missing out on opportunities. Part of the learning curve, but the puck's gotta go in sometimes. DD's way more opportunistic.

Last edited by Bloumeister: 11-14-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Lars <3

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Not sure if serious

I love DD, but voted for Eller (there's a poll, right?)

That being said:

If DD was able to get 22 pts in 43 games last year, Eller should be able to get in the 30-40 pts range this year. He's gotta stop missing out on opportunities. Part of the learning curve, but the puck's gotta go in sometimes. DD's way more opportunistic.
Desharnais received powerplay time last year as well, 8 of his 22 points last year were on the PP. He's been given more opportunities to produce. Also Desharnais is more seasoned then eller as he 2 years older.

This year Desharnais has 3 more ES points that Eller, but he's also playing with our two biggest offensive wingers.

He's been given more of an opportunity to produce. And that's not a bad thing, for DD to be useful he needs to be put in that position. Eller is more versatile and can be a productive player in other areas of the game aside from offense

Last edited by Andy: 11-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
im a big dd fan, but the answer has to be eller of course.

although his lack of finishing worries me, eller will be the better center in the future.

dd's future, and i believe he has one with the canadiens, belongs on wing

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
im a big dd fan, but the answer has to be eller of course.

although his lack of finishing worries me, eller will be the better center in the future.

dd's future, and i believe he has one with the canadiens, belongs on wing
It worries me too but I recall thinking the same thing about Plekanec. Hopefully Eller follows along that same path. He'll likely never score 30+ goals but he could be a 60-70 point guy per season like Plecky.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Eller by a landslide and its not even close.

Eller = The Future
DD = Great complimentary Winger, that is being played as a center. A 40 point guy at most imo, and definitely expendable, while Eller is the first big center we've had in years that has great upside.
I agree with Eller but how'd DD a 40 point guy at most? He had 22 pts in 43 gp last year as a rookie. That's 42 in 82 GP. He's on pace for 50 pts this year which is his second full year. He's older, but the facts are there, he produces the points and will surpass 40 pts. Nathan Gerbe is also on pace for 45 pts, so it's not a stretch for DD to attain that. As for Eller, I said i'd choose him, but 'great upside' is a stretch. I see him as a potential Jordan Staal for our team, but if he can become a 60 point 2nd line center i'd be very happy. I don't see first line center in him though.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:42 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with Eller but how'd DD a 40 point guy at most? He had 22 pts in 43 gp last year as a rookie. That's 42 in 82 GP. He's on pace for 50 pts this year which is his second full year. He's older, but the facts are there, he produces the points and will surpass 40 pts. Nathan Gerbe is also on pace for 45 pts, so it's not a stretch for DD to attain that. As for Eller, I said i'd choose him, but 'great upside' is a stretch. I see him as a potential Jordan Staal for our team, but if he can become a 60 point 2nd line center i'd be very happy. I don't see first line center in him though.
I honestly can't see DD breaking 40 points, he has to be playing with decent wingers all the time, hes not made or built for 3rd or 4th line duty, but imo is not good enough to be a 2nd line center. Hes tiny, falls often, but tries to make up for it with his great hockey sense. Never the less 40 points for DD is not a bad thing, but I think alot of people over hype him.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:44 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 320
Obviously, if you have to choose, you keep Eller.

It might be me, but it seems like some people here think Desharnais progression has ended. He has yet to adjust completely his game to the NHL level, but he's still on pace for a 50 pts season and have scored 7 of his 10 points on ES. He'll get better because the talent and intelligence is there, but more importantly, because he's a fighter and will never quit.

When everything is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Eller becomes that all around C, capable of playing against opponent's best players, while Desharnais will be the one ending with the most points, whether he plays C or W.

But the great thing is that we actually don't have to choose between them! At least for a foreseeable future.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Desharnais IMHO.

I would'nt trade neither guy , but Desharnais is the guy who will produce the most and in bigtime situations.

Desharnais will be the first Hab to break 100 pt season in a very long time.

You haven't seen near the best of Desharnais yet,watch and see.

Habaneros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
neofury*

If you take your homer glasses off there really is no doubt about it that Eller is the one you choose. If you keep the homer glasses on... well, you'd still have to basically brainwash yourself in order to take DD over Eller.

The only think DD has on Eller is that he speaks French and I mean that in the nicest way possible but it's true. Eller is 22 years old. He's going to take time, don't forget how Pacioretty played his first season. Eller was always projected to be a higher end player than Patches. He's young and needs time to develop. Guys like Eller, Pacioretty, etc you hold onto. Guys like DD you keep if the dollar is right but replace if something better value comes along. For example if we could have... Scott Hartnell over DD... I'd pay the difference big time.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Desharnais IMHO.

I would'nt trade neither guy , but Desharnais is the guy who will produce the most and in bigtime situations.

Desharnais will be the first Hab to break 100 pt season.

You haven't seen near the best of Desharnais yet,watch and see.
Sorry but at this point saying that is delusional. I don't mean it as an insult but it really is the truth. DD has done nothing to suggest ever being a 100pt player let alone 80pt. Just because he's the size of Marty doesn't make him comparable either. Don't fall victim to the RDS/etc hype of this guy, he's a great player but you'll be disappointed if you ever expect him to be anything more than a second liner and even that is expecting a lot if you think he'll be a center of a 2nd line.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote