Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2011, 10:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
That should probably take him out of the first round entirely for certain wouldn't you say? Especially if this draft is as deep as it's thought to be.
Looks like the thinking is it drops him out of the top 10, but not out of the teens. People keep referencing Brett Connolly going 6th in 2010 even though he only played 16 games in his draft year. If Galchenyuk can look decent in his short return (CHL is still playing in March aren't they?) and Connolly doesn't embarass himself with Tampa this year, I think he still goes in the 8-15 range.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:12 AM
forthewild

Quote:
That should probably take him out of the first round entirely for certain wouldn't you say? Especially if this draft is as deep as it's thought to be.
most likely not, some team in the 20s might chance him if they feel he has top 3 potential and they are deep at the moment, DET,BOS come to mind. Essentially give him years to develop and be surprised you snagged a top 10 talent so late.

i'm a bit worried about picking him as he is playing with Yakupov and there is no telling if there is a cause and effect relationship or if he really is good on his own.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:23 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
FWIW someone in the organization told me they expect Seeler to be a top four guy.
Wasn't he picked in the 5th? Going off memory here. But he probably won't be ready to roll for quite a while IMO...didn't get an ETA on him but they like him a lot.
They took him in the 5th, which is the first pick they had after trading up for Lucia. Didn't expect him to be there (which means they had him ranked highly) and took him.

He'll be in good hands with Dean Blais though. I'm hoping to catch a Muskegon game or two this year and check him out.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:25 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

Nope.

He'll be the 2011 version of Brett Connolly, but you'll likely see him drop in rankings like ISS, etc.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:02 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

So outside of the likes of Yakupov, any of these guys have youtube videos that are worth a watch? Lets get some vids in here.

Also, that Frk character, how do you pronounce his name? 'Frick'?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
So outside of the likes of Yakupov, any of these guys have youtube videos that are worth a watch? Lets get some vids in here.

Also, that Frk character, how do you pronounce his name? 'Frick'?
It's pronounced how it's spelled; essentially, "Firk", minus as much of the vowel as you can take away.

Old
10-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Chrisd

Id like to see

I'd like to see Mikhail Grigorenko from the 2012 draft on the wild. Yeah he'll probably be a top 10 pick, and im not sure we'll be picking in that range make a move up and get a pure goal scorer.

Fletcher has the ammo to move up to get what he needs.

Old
10-24-2011, 08:16 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I would really like to see the Wild get their hands on Grigorenko somehow as well. While I do believe they'll likely be picking top 10, I'm not so sure they'll even be in position for him. They'll likely need to be top 5 and I don't see that from this team. Not having their second round pick also removes a movable asset from the equation and while moving other picks/prospects to move up to get him sounds all well and good, is he really going to be an immense upgrade over what they could draft (and keep those assets)? Namely a puck moving defenseman with some scoring upside. Hard for me to say at this stage.

All of that is ignoring the question of if this regime is even considering drafting Russians as they haven't appeared to be all that interested...

Old
10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Not sure if anybody caught this but I found this on the American Prospects thread in the Prospects forum. Jacob Trouba is doing a monthly blog on NHL.com. Kind of an interesting read and will be kinda fun to see how the blog progresses coming up to draft time.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
It's pronounced how it's spelled; essentially, "Firk", minus as much of the vowel as you can take away.
I got a headache trying to pronounce it several times. Ugh.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Not drafting a clear top talent russian is similar myth as taking position over BPA.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Not drafting a clear top talent russian is similar myth as taking position over BPA.
Kulikov fel, its not a myth its fear

Old
10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I disagree. It should play a factor because you want a player to have little incentive to move oversees. Some Russian teams are willing pay top money and you don't want that kind of competition.

So it really depends on a player-by-player basis. Alot of time should be taken to understand the type of player the kid is and how much he wants to play in the NHL.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I disagree. It should play a factor because you want a player to have little incentive to move oversees. Some Russian teams are willing pay top money and you don't want that kind of competition.

So it really depends on a player-by-player basis. Alot of time should be taken to understand the type of player the kid is and how much he wants to play in the NHL.
I'd say that the "Russian Factor" is something to consider, but not for the true top talents. Your Ovechkins, Malkins, and Yakupovs aren't a real risk for running to the KHL. The area where it's a real concern are the late 1st rounders and later picks. The players who need seasoning and development, but don't want to spend time in the AHL making the lesser half of a two-way contract.

There is, of course, the player by player differences as well. A player like Yakupov who is in his second year in the CHL (where he went specifically because it was seen as a quicker path to "his dream to play in the NHL" really isn't a risk for KHL flight. Unless you have a Columbus style diaster in development, Nail will play for the team that drafts him. Grigorenko is slightly more of a risk where he hasn't spent as much time in North America, and appears to have more ties back to the Russian leagues. However, as a top tier candidate, he could likely jump directly to the NHL level. A player like Nikita Kucherov is certainly a risk though. Picked late in the second round, he hasn't spent any time playing in North America. He's already played in the KHL (8 games last year, 10 so far this year). Tarasenko (2010 - 16th overall) isn't considered a risk but Kuznetsov (2010 - 26th overall) was considered to be a risk for any team that doesn't have Russians in the system.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Rimbe

Who do you see us getting in the Draft day? At the moment I have been wanting us to select Cody Ceci but he is rising so I guess he is not available when is our turn to select. Big mobile, physical d-man who is very good offensively aswell.

If we want to keep selecting Finns, Olli Määttä wouldn't be a bad choice even that he is quite similar to Scandella.

If we select a forward I've been thinking Sebastian Collberg who might be available when we are going to pick (10-15).

Old
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbe39 View Post
Who do you see us getting in the Draft day? At the moment I have been wanting us to select Cody Ceci but he is rising so I guess he is not available when is our turn to select. Big mobile, physical d-man who is very good offensively aswell.

If we want to keep selecting Finns, Olli Määttä wouldn't be a bad choice even that he is quite similar to Scandella.

If we select a forward I've been thinking Sebastian Collberg who might be available when we are going to pick (10-15).
If any of them happen to fall to us, I'd love to see a Ebert/Murray/Dumba. As for players currently in the range we're looking at, I like Ceci, Reinhart, and Schmaltz. I certainly wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Galchenyuk if he drops to us and the big name defensemen are already off the board though.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
nickschultzfan

I wouldn't mind continuing to rock the 1st round Dman, then go forwards. We seem to be drafting forwards well in the late 1st and 2nd rounds.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd definitely like to see another skilled puck mover if one is available.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
The only positions of depth in the organization at this point would be goalie and now center. A good goal scoring wing would be a nice add as well.

D is definitely the thinnest in terms of impact prospects though.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

True. We do have Zucker and Lucia in the fold though. Draft both!

On second thought, what about trading our 1st and 3rd picks to move up and get a speedy grinder/checker with limited skills? That seems like a good use of assets.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
wildman22

hopefully we can draft legit d-men like we have with these forwards in the later rounds, i know it is hard to continue to get gems out of the first round but we need to get some depth on the blue line

Old
10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

There's a whole crap ton of highly thought of defensemen right now. Especially in the top 10-15 range. Hard not to like any of them. Outside of Trouba, I'm really starting to like what I read about Rielly.

With that said, if there's a high end scorer available at the Wild's selection, you don't pass on those players in my opinion.

Old
10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
forthewild

Too bad this draft wasnt held in mn, it will be quite interesting to see who the wilf wild will draft

Old
11-14-2011, 09:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Added some more links.

On the defense front, sounds like Rielly tore his ACL and isn't expected to return this season. He was a potential top 10 (possibly top 5) pick in 2012 but will now get the Galchenyuk treatment. Looks like Murray and Reinhart are injured as well, but I don't know their status. Dumba and Pouliot are starting to pull ahead in the WHL.

Rielly was the guy I was hoping would somehow fall to the Wild, but didn't think we had even a prayer at. With his injury, and the sheer depth at defense in this draft, he'll probably fall a lot harder than Galchenyuk. Even if the Wild make the playoffs, they might have a shot at Rielly now.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Added some more links.

On the defense front, sounds like Rielly tore his ACL and isn't expected to return this season. He was a potential top 10 (possibly top 5) pick in 2012 but will now get the Galchenyuk treatment. Looks like Murray and Reinhart are injured as well, but I don't know their status. Dumba and Pouliot are starting to pull ahead in the WHL.

Rielly was the guy I was hoping would somehow fall to the Wild, but didn't think we had even a prayer at. With his injury, and the sheer depth at defense in this draft, he'll probably fall a lot harder than Galchenyuk. Even if the Wild make the playoffs, they might have a shot at Rielly now.
Playoffs and a premier defenseman from the 2012 draft? Color me intrigued.

Closed Thread