HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller or Desharnais

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Lars Eller "The Great Dane" 128 92.09%
David Desharnais "deHARNAY" 11 7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
  #26
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with Eller but how'd DD a 40 point guy at most? He had 22 pts in 43 gp last year as a rookie. That's 42 in 82 GP. He's on pace for 50 pts this year which is his second full year. He's older, but the facts are there, he produces the points and will surpass 40 pts. Nathan Gerbe is also on pace for 45 pts, so it's not a stretch for DD to attain that. As for Eller, I said i'd choose him, but 'great upside' is a stretch. I see him as a potential Jordan Staal for our team, but if he can become a 60 point 2nd line center i'd be very happy. I don't see first line center in him though.
How is "great upside" a stretch but then Jordan Staal somehow <> "great upside"? You basically contradict yourself. If he pans out as another Jordan Staal that IS great upside.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
  #27
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How is "great upside" a stretch but then Jordan Staal somehow <> "great upside"? You basically contradict yourself. If he pans out as another Jordan Staal that IS great upside.
I said a jordan staal for us. I never said jordan staal. Eller will never be as good as Jordan.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
  #28
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
On this roster.... where size has been a concern at the center position for 15 years?

Eller.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
  #29
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
Two different types of players.

Eller is, right now, a good shut down center, plays defense like JM likes it. He's also got some obvious offensive talent, but seems to be asked to think defense first and dosen't push too hard on offense to not get caught. I'd like to see Eller in a more offensive role to see how he would fare, and he's playing good with Kost at even strenght.

DD is a typical small offensive player that is bad defensively. While he's useful on the PP he lacks size and strenght to hold his own or to cover some opponent in the defensive zone. He's a good passer and playmaker on the PP though, and if we had a better center than Gomez I'd put DD on the fourth line as winger and still would play him on 1st / 2nd wave on the PP.

Overall, I'm pretty please that we have them both right now, because I think they're an upgrade over Gomez right now. I hope, though, that in the future the Habs draft / sign a bigger 1st / 2nd line center, and trade either Gomez, DD, or both.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
  #30
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I honestly can't see DD breaking 40 points, he has to be playing with decent wingers all the time, hes not made or built for 3rd or 4th line duty, but imo is not good enough to be a 2nd line center. Hes tiny, falls often, but tries to make up for it with his great hockey sense. Never the less 40 points for DD is not a bad thing, but I think alot of people over hype him.
Can we give the guy a little time ? He only got 65 NHL games under his belt and yet has 33 points so far (some games winners!)What David needs to do is shoot more often.



Martin St Louis in his first 69 games in the NHL had only 20 points.
Then over the next two years 131 games, he had another 75 pts.Then he start popping off 90 pt seasons.


Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet many will be eating words.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:59 AM
  #31
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Can we give the guy a little time ? He only got 65 NHL games under his belt and yet has 33 points so far some games winners!
What David needs to do is shoot more often.



Martin St Louis in his first 69 games in the NHL and only 20 points.
Then over the next 131 games he had another 75 pts.Then he start popping off 90 pt seasons.


Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet many will be eating words.
comparing DD to MSL ... really?

MSL was and is a lot a faster and harder to knock-off.

DD's downfall is that he's soft....

Just compare DD to guys his size, like Gerbe... not even close.

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
  #32
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet many will be eating words.
edited: Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet i will be eating my words

sorry but no way will DD ever produce anywhere close to 100 pts in a season in the NHL. He's a solid player but no MSL

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
  #33
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,932
vCash: 500
in b4 natey picks DD

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
  #34
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
comparing DD to MSL ... really?

MSL was and is a lot a faster and harder to knock-off.

DD's downfall is that he's soft....

Just compare DD to guys his size, like Gerbe... not even close.

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.

Just hang on a second, do you remember watching Martin St Louis as a Calgary Flame????? I do .He looked so good at the time Calgary let him go.Now good back and look at Martin St Louis in his first 69 nhl games and compare him to the Martin St Louis today .He doesn't look like the same player right(night vs day) .

David D , same thing .As i said he is already ahead of St Louis as a 65 game old NHL player.DD won't look like the same player in 3 years.

I say mark this post (barring injury or a stupid trade) he will be the first Habs to hit 100 pt season in a long time .

Anyone trying to judge DD after just 65 games is crazy.You don't understand the huge upside he got at all.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
  #35
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
The verdict is still out on both...but If someone held the gun to my head and said pick. Eller..wouldn't have to think about it.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
  #36
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Desharnais IMHO.

I would'nt trade neither guy , but Desharnais is the guy who will produce the most and in bigtime situations.


Desharnais will be the first Hab to break 100 pt season in a very long time.

You haven't seen near the best of Desharnais yet,watch and see.
, Good one

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
  #37
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I said a jordan staal for us. I never said jordan staal. Eller will never be as good as Jordan.
Come on dude, the implication is clearly that he'd be a Jordan Staal caliber player, whether for us or not, which is great upside plain and simple.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
  #38
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
comparing DD to MSL ... really?

MSL was and is a lot a faster and harder to knock-off.

DD's downfall is that he's soft....

Just compare DD to guys his size, like Gerbe... not even close.

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.
Doubt he'll touch MSL's numbers, but the fact remains, DD doesn't top at 40 points...He'll get better over time. I also don't consider him that soft or bad defensively. His FO % is higher than Eller and his +- and production better than gomez. So...I mean, he's no stud defensively, but he's okay. Also, he doesn't quit. We see it often not quitting on a play and getting a scoring chance or keeping puck possesion. That counts IMO.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
  #39
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Just hang on a second, do you remember watching Martin St Louis as a Calgary Flame????? I do .He looked so good at the time Calgary let him go.Now good back and look at Martin St Louis in his first 69 nhl games and compare him to the Martin St Louis today .He doesn't look like the same player right(night vs day) .

David D , same thing .As i said he is already ahead of St Louis as a 65 game old NHL player.DD won't look like the same player in 3 years.

I say mark this post (barring injury or a stupid trade) he will be the first Habs to hit 100 pt season in a long time .

Anyone trying to judge DD after just 65 games is crazy.You don't understand the huge upside he got at all.
One thing you're forgetting though, St.Louis started off in the 'old NHL'. Much harder for the speedy/small players to succeed. With the reduction of the clutching/grabbing we're now seeing more and more sub-5'10'' players in the NHL. Even many being drafted in the high rounds. His success in that time only shows how great he really is.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
  #40
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
, Good one
Why you laughing?


Just remember Martin St Louis was undrafted.
Ottawa let him go .
Calgary let him go .
Was a ppg player in AHL .
Didn't make NHL till 24 years old.


Again you guy can laugh all you want , but when you look at this post 2 years from now you will be eating crow .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
  #41
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
comparing DD to MSL ... really?

MSL was and is a lot a faster and harder to knock-off.

DD's downfall is that he's soft....

Just compare DD to guys his size, like Gerbe... not even close.

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.
Stop mentioning facts in this thread. People would rather just live in ignorance of these facts and believe he will somehow become the next St. Louis. (Never going to come even close to happening, book it cause I won't be eating crow over it)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
  #42
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Come on dude, the implication is clearly that he'd be a Jordan Staal caliber player, whether for us or not, which is great upside plain and simple.
No, the implication is what I implied. I'm telling you what I implied, your perception can be different, but I never implied he'd be as good as jordan staal. In fact i'd seriously hope we acquire jordan staal at end of his contract(if possible) as Plek-Staal-Eller would make a good two-way top 3. Going back to original comment, I'll rephrase. Eller will be a two-way 3rd liner with above average offensive skills who can play 2nd line minutes but will never be as good as staal offensively or defensively. He will never be a first liner and he's best suited being a 3rd line stud on a contending team.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
  #43
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
We need a poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Why you laughing?


Just remember Martin St Louis was undrafted.
Ottawa let him go .
Calgary let him go .
Was a ppg player in AHL .
Didn't make NHL till 24 years old.


Again you guy can laugh all you want , but when you look at this post 2 years from now you will be eating crow .







pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
  #44
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
One thing you're forgetting though, St.Louis started off in the 'old NHL'. Much harder for the speedy/small players to succeed. With the reduction of the clutching/grabbing we're now seeing more and more sub-5'10'' players in the NHL. Even many being drafted in the high rounds. His success in that time only shows how great he really is.
Which should make it easier for DD going forward in his development.


The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote off more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved them all wrong.(PPG in every leauge)

And that drive will get him to 90/100 pt a season NHL player, i believe that.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:20 AM
  #45
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Which should make it easier for DD going forward in his development.


The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote of more time in his life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved then all wrong.

And that drive will get him to 90/100 pt a season NHL player, i believe that.
That I can also agree with.

I also think that the Champlain bridge will cost next to nothing to build and will be ready in time for 2012.
I also think that Milan Lucic is the cleanest player the NHL has ever seen. It is an absolute disgrace that he hasn't won the Lady Bing... yet.
I also think that pigs can fly.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:20 AM
  #46
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No, the implication is what I implied. I'm telling you what I implied, your perception can be different, but I never implied he'd be as good as jordan staal. In fact i'd seriously hope we acquire jordan staal at end of his contract(if possible) as Plek-Staal-Eller would make a good two-way top 3. Going back to original comment, I'll rephrase. Eller will be a two-way 3rd liner with above average offensive skills who can play 2nd line minutes but will never be as good as staal offensively or defensively. He will never be a first liner and he's best suited being a 3rd line stud on a contending team.
Dude regardless of if you said/meant Jordan Staal or "Jordan Staal for us" whichever convoluted way you want to put it, it doesn't change the fact that this IS great upside, plain and simple.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:20 AM
  #47
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Which should make it easier for DD going forward in his development.


The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote of more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved then all wrong.

And that drive will get him to 90/100 pt a season NHL player, i believe that.
I get saying DD has untapped potential but only 1 guy reached over 100 points last year. Only 5 over 90(including the 100+ point guy). Sorry, that isn't happening. It's extreme.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
  #48
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Doubt he'll touch MSL's numbers, but the fact remains, DD doesn't top at 40 points...
I never said otherwise

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
  #49
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Just hang on a second, do you remember watching Martin St Louis as a Calgary Flame????? I do .He looked so good at the time Calgary let him go.Now good back and look at Martin St Louis in his first 69 nhl games and compare him to the Martin St Louis today .He doesn't look like the same player right(night vs day) .

David D , same thing .As i said he is already ahead of St Louis as a 65 game old NHL player.DD won't look like the same player in 3 years.

I say mark this post (barring injury or a stupid trade) he will be the first Habs to hit 100 pt season in a long time .

Anyone trying to judge DD after just 65 games is crazy.You don't understand the huge upside he got at all.
Many players were ahead of St. Louis as a 65 game old NHL player so that's not saying much.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:22 AM
  #50
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Which should make it easier for DD going forward in his development.


The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote off more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved them all wrong.(PPG in every leauge)

And that drive will get him to 90/100 pt a season NHL player, i believe that.
Completely missing the point. The point is St. Louis had a reason to produce the way he did in the old NHL and then due to the new NHL produced much better.

Desharnais started off in the new NHL and thus it isn't like we should expect his production to increase in the way that it did for St. Louis.

He won't be a 100pt guy, that's just crazy. Leafs fans saying Kadri will be an 80-100pt guy is even more realistic than this is for crying out loud.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.