HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller or Desharnais

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Lars Eller "The Great Dane" 128 92.09%
David Desharnais "deHARNAY" 11 7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with Eller but how'd DD a 40 point guy at most? He had 22 pts in 43 gp last year as a rookie. That's 42 in 82 GP. He's on pace for 50 pts this year which is his second full year. He's older, but the facts are there, he produces the points and will surpass 40 pts. Nathan Gerbe is also on pace for 45 pts, so it's not a stretch for DD to attain that. As for Eller, I said i'd choose him, but 'great upside' is a stretch. I see him as a potential Jordan Staal for our team, but if he can become a 60 point 2nd line center i'd be very happy. I don't see first line center in him though.
How is "great upside" a stretch but then Jordan Staal somehow <> "great upside"? You basically contradict yourself. If he pans out as another Jordan Staal that IS great upside.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How is "great upside" a stretch but then Jordan Staal somehow <> "great upside"? You basically contradict yourself. If he pans out as another Jordan Staal that IS great upside.
I said a jordan staal for us. I never said jordan staal. Eller will never be as good as Jordan.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joe Cole

On this roster.... where size has been a concern at the center position for 15 years?

Eller.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Two different types of players.

Eller is, right now, a good shut down center, plays defense like JM likes it. He's also got some obvious offensive talent, but seems to be asked to think defense first and dosen't push too hard on offense to not get caught. I'd like to see Eller in a more offensive role to see how he would fare, and he's playing good with Kost at even strenght.

DD is a typical small offensive player that is bad defensively. While he's useful on the PP he lacks size and strenght to hold his own or to cover some opponent in the defensive zone. He's a good passer and playmaker on the PP though, and if we had a better center than Gomez I'd put DD on the fourth line as winger and still would play him on 1st / 2nd wave on the PP.

Overall, I'm pretty please that we have them both right now, because I think they're an upgrade over Gomez right now. I hope, though, that in the future the Habs draft / sign a bigger 1st / 2nd line center, and trade either Gomez, DD, or both.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I honestly can't see DD breaking 40 points, he has to be playing with decent wingers all the time, hes not made or built for 3rd or 4th line duty, but imo is not good enough to be a 2nd line center. Hes tiny, falls often, but tries to make up for it with his great hockey sense. Never the less 40 points for DD is not a bad thing, but I think alot of people over hype him.
Can we give the guy a little time ? He only got 65 NHL games under his belt and yet has 33 points so far (some games winners!)What David needs to do is shoot more often.

Martin St Louis in his first 69 games in the NHL had only 20 points.
Then over the next two years 131 games, he had another 75 pts.Then he start popping off 90 pt seasons.

Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet many will be eating words.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:59 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Can we give the guy a little time ? He only got 65 NHL games under his belt and yet has 33 points so far some games winners!
What David needs to do is shoot more often.

Martin St Louis in his first 69 games in the NHL and only 20 points.
Then over the next 131 games he had another 75 pts.Then he start popping off 90 pt seasons.

comparing DD to MSL ... really?

MSL was and is a lot a faster and harder to knock-off.

DD's downfall is that he's soft....

Just compare DD to guys his size, like Gerbe... not even close.

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
windycity

Quote:
edited: Talk to me about David D in 2 more years ,i bet i will be eating my words

sorry but no way will DD ever produce anywhere close to 100 pts in a season in the NHL. He's a solid player but no MSL

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

in b4 natey picks DD

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

DD has talent, but he doesn't play bigger than size, which is why he'll never be in the same league as MSL.

Just hang on a second, do you remember watching Martin St Louis as a Calgary Flame????? I do .He looked so good at the time Calgary let him go.Now good back and look at Martin St Louis in his first 69 nhl games and compare him to the Martin St Louis today .He doesn't look like the same player right(night vs day) .

David D , same thing .As i said he is already ahead of St Louis as a 65 game old NHL player.DD won't look like the same player in 3 years.

I say mark this post (barring injury or a stupid trade) he will be the first Habs to hit 100 pt season in a long time .

Anyone trying to judge DD after just 65 games is crazy.You don't understand the huge upside he got at all.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
dutchy29

The verdict is still out on both...but If someone held the gun to my head and said pick. Eller..wouldn't have to think about it.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Desharnais IMHO.

I would'nt trade neither guy , but Desharnais is the guy who will produce the most and in bigtime situations.

Desharnais will be the first Hab to break 100 pt season in a very long time.

You haven't seen near the best of Desharnais yet,watch and see.
, Good one

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
I said a jordan staal for us. I never said jordan staal. Eller will never be as good as Jordan.
Come on dude, the implication is clearly that he'd be a Jordan Staal caliber player, whether for us or not, which is great upside plain and simple.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Doubt he'll touch MSL's numbers, but the fact remains, DD doesn't top at 40 points...He'll get better over time. I also don't consider him that soft or bad defensively. His FO % is higher than Eller and his +- and production better than gomez. So...I mean, he's no stud defensively, but he's okay. Also, he doesn't quit. We see it often not quitting on a play and getting a scoring chance or keeping puck possesion. That counts IMO.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Just hang on a second, do you remember watching Martin St Louis as a Calgary Flame????? I do .He looked so good at the time Calgary let him go.Now good back and look at Martin St Louis in his first 69 nhl games and compare him to the Martin St Louis today .He doesn't look like the same player right(night vs day) .

David D , same thing .As i said he is already ahead of St Louis as a 65 game old NHL player.DD won't look like the same player in 3 years.

I say mark this post (barring injury or a stupid trade) he will be the first Habs to hit 100 pt season in a long time .

Anyone trying to judge DD after just 65 games is crazy.You don't understand the huge upside he got at all.
One thing you're forgetting though, St.Louis started off in the 'old NHL'. Much harder for the speedy/small players to succeed. With the reduction of the clutching/grabbing we're now seeing more and more sub-5'10'' players in the NHL. Even many being drafted in the high rounds. His success in that time only shows how great he really is.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
, Good one
Why you laughing?

Just remember Martin St Louis was undrafted.
Ottawa let him go .
Calgary let him go .
Was a ppg player in AHL .
Didn't make NHL till 24 years old.

Again you guy can laugh all you want , but when you look at this post 2 years from now you will be eating crow .

Old
11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:

Stop mentioning facts in this thread. People would rather just live in ignorance of these facts and believe he will somehow become the next St. Louis. (Never going to come even close to happening, book it cause I won't be eating crow over it)

Old
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Come on dude, the implication is clearly that he'd be a Jordan Staal caliber player, whether for us or not, which is great upside plain and simple.
No, the implication is what I implied. I'm telling you what I implied, your perception can be different, but I never implied he'd be as good as jordan staal. In fact i'd seriously hope we acquire jordan staal at end of his contract(if possible) as Plek-Staal-Eller would make a good two-way top 3. Going back to original comment, I'll rephrase. Eller will be a two-way 3rd liner with above average offensive skills who can play 2nd line minutes but will never be as good as staal offensively or defensively. He will never be a first liner and he's best suited being a 3rd line stud on a contending team.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
pine*

We need a poll.

Quote:
Why you laughing?

Just remember Martin St Louis was undrafted.
Ottawa let him go .
Calgary let him go .
Was a ppg player in AHL .
Didn't make NHL till 24 years old.

Again you guy can laugh all you want , but when you look at this post 2 years from now you will be eating crow .

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
One thing you're forgetting though, St.Louis started off in the 'old NHL'. Much harder for the speedy/small players to succeed. With the reduction of the clutching/grabbing we're now seeing more and more sub-5'10'' players in the NHL. Even many being drafted in the high rounds. His success in that time only shows how great he really is.
Which should make it easier for DD going forward in his development.

The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote off more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved them all wrong.(PPG in every leauge)

And that drive will get him to 90/100 pt a season NHL player, i believe that.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:20 AM
pine*

Quote:

The guy hasn't even got a full NHL season under his belt yet,let's watch his game develop.

I can tell you the guy been wrote of more time in his life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved then all wrong.

That I can also agree with.

I also think that the Champlain bridge will cost next to nothing to build and will be ready in time for 2012.
I also think that Milan Lucic is the cleanest player the NHL has ever seen. It is an absolute disgrace that he hasn't won the Lady Bing... yet.
I also think that pigs can fly.

Old
neofury*

Quote:
No, the implication is what I implied. I'm telling you what I implied, your perception can be different, but I never implied he'd be as good as jordan staal. In fact i'd seriously hope we acquire jordan staal at end of his contract(if possible) as Plek-Staal-Eller would make a good two-way top 3. Going back to original comment, I'll rephrase. Eller will be a two-way 3rd liner with above average offensive skills who can play 2nd line minutes but will never be as good as staal offensively or defensively. He will never be a first liner and he's best suited being a 3rd line stud on a contending team.
Dude regardless of if you said/meant Jordan Staal or "Jordan Staal for us" whichever convoluted way you want to put it, it doesn't change the fact that this IS great upside, plain and simple.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I can tell you the guy been wrote of more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved then all wrong.

I get saying DD has untapped potential but only 1 guy reached over 100 points last year. Only 5 over 90(including the 100+ point guy). Sorry, that isn't happening. It's extreme.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Doubt he'll touch MSL's numbers, but the fact remains, DD doesn't top at 40 points...
I never said otherwise

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
pine*

Quote:

Many players were ahead of St. Louis as a 65 game old NHL player so that's not saying much.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:22 AM
neofury*

Quote:

I can tell you the guy been wrote off more times in his hockey life that you can shake a stick at, and he has always proved them all wrong.(PPG in every leauge)

Completely missing the point. The point is St. Louis had a reason to produce the way he did in the old NHL and then due to the new NHL produced much better.

Desharnais started off in the new NHL and thus it isn't like we should expect his production to increase in the way that it did for St. Louis.

He won't be a 100pt guy, that's just crazy. Leafs fans saying Kadri will be an 80-100pt guy is even more realistic than this is for crying out loud.