HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What would you give up for TJ Oshie?

Old
11-14-2011, 10:57 AM
DJN21

vCash: 500
What would you give up for TJ Oshie?

His name comes up often in trade proposals on the main page and I was wondering what Sabres fans specifically think of him, if they'd even want him and/or what they'd give up. He's a tough guy with a decent scoring touch...exactly what we need in our top 9. Thoughts?

DJN21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

TJ Oshie is not a tough guy. He has 87 PIM in 198 NHL games. He's a skilled player with motivation issues.

I think you are confusing him with David Backes who will not get dealt by the Blues.

Backes:

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?3502

Quote:
ASSETS: Has size, hockey sense, a nose for the net and plenty of grit and determination. Is a tremendous body checker. Can play both center and wing.

FLAWS: Sometimes, he is too aggressive and gets caught out of position or takes bad penalties. His scoring lacks consistency.

CAREER POTENTIAL: All-around versatile scoring forward with an edge.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

nothing. I don't want another wimpy center, I want a power forward that is going to drop the mitts on Lucic when he does stupid stuff.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
His name comes up often in trade proposals on the main page and I was wondering what Sabres fans specifically think of him, if they'd even want him and/or what they'd give up. He's a tough guy with a decent scoring touch...exactly what we need in our top 9. Thoughts?
He plays with an edge, but he's hardly a tough guy. As Jim Bob said Backes is the guy you're looking for.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
TJ Oshie is not a tough guy. He has 87 PIM in 198 NHL games. He's a skilled player with motivation issues.

I think you are confusing him with David Backes who will not get dealt by the Blues.

Backes:

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?3502
Backes would be nice but theres no chance he is moved. Anyways no Im aware of who I am talking about and penalty minutes arent an indication of toughness. Oshie isnt known to throw his mits but you can ask Nash if hes a tough guy...

Old
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
nothing. I don't want another wimpy center, I want a power forward that is going to drop the mitts on Lucic when he does stupid stuff.
I dont think he's being played much at Center anymore hes been moved to wing. I hear that he plays better at wing but it also could be due to the abundance of centers on the blues when they are healthy..

Old
11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's a winger who they experimented with in the middle. Blues fans will point out that his time at center was not good for him as his play regressed. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but he's not someone who is out there imposing himself nightly. He's right in the Stafford strata -- good player, could do more with his gifts, expected to do more with those, and is probably not available at this time.

11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Backes would be nice but theres no chance he is moved. Anyways no Im aware of who I am talking about and penalty minutes arent an indication of toughness. Oshie isnt known to throw his mits but you can ask Nash if hes a tough guy...
Oshie brings more of what the Sabres already have for the most part and doesn't address what they really need.

Oshie's toughness is in the Drew Stafford realm. The Sabres don't need another Drew Stafford.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
ct2111

Quote:
I dont think he's being played much at Center anymore hes been moved to wing. I hear that he plays better at wing but it also could be due to the abundance of centers on the blues when they are healthy..
He plays wing for the Blues. He's arguably better on the wing, because much of the good work he does is along the boards.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
We don't need wingers. We need forwards with grit, Oshie doesn't have the grit I'd want if we make a trade.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote