HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When McIlrath's ready, who sits?

Old
11-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500

Not trying to get ahead of myself here. But, if/when Dylan's ready for full-time action, what happens to the rest of our Defense?

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
McIlrath

Woywitka, Eminger, and eventually Stralman. Not long-term answers to our blue-line imo. The rest of the guys though, are.

Any guesses? Could Dylan be ready for full-time action as early as next season?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

your getting WAY ahead of yourself.

we've got at least 2 maybe 3 years before we have to have this convo. alot can happen.

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Yeah, I think we have awhile still untill we have to cross this bridge.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post

we've got at least 2 maybe 3 years before we have to have this convo. alot can happen.
McIlrath made it past first round of cuts this past training camp, I don't think it is farfetched that he would challenge for a roster spot for 2012-2013.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Too hard to predict because there's no rush to get him into the NHL and he could definitely use some AHL seasoning first... At least another 2 years away...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Yeah, I think we have awhile still untill we have to cross this bridge.
I think Dylan+Erixon will be ready before '3 years'.

Even if it's 2 years, all of our current dmen are long-term solutions.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
McIlrath made it past first round of cuts this past training camp, I don't think it is farfetched that he would challenge for a roster spot for 2012-2013.
Not far-fetched but unlikely... He'd be better served playing in the AHL and getting top-pairing minutes than getting limited minutes in the NHL and playing above his head.... Ideally he should follow a route to the NHL similar to Mike Sauer.... Refine his game at the AHL and then come up prepared to handle the rigors of the NHL.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

McIlrath will take the spot of whoever he outplays. If he doesn't outplay anyone, he will go to Connecticut for the time being. Sauer outplayed Gilroy, MDZ and Eminger. McDonagh didn't outplay anyone and started the year in Hartford, but made Roszival expendable when he got the callup. Erixon didn't outplay anyone and was intended to start the year in CT until our injuries became apparent. McIlrath will get a fair shot like everyone else.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Not far-fetched but unlikely... He'd be better served playing in the AHL and getting top-pairing minutes than getting limited minutes in the NHL and playing above his head.... Ideally he should follow a route to the NHL similar to Mike Sauer.... Refine his game at the AHL and then come up prepared to handle the rigors of the NHL.
Yeah that's true, don't want to rush him.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I will bet that by the time McIlrath is ready to be an NHL player (If that day comes) that not all of the 6 guys you listed there will still be here.

Girardi has only 2 years left on his deal after this season. Sauer has only 1. Who knows. Too many variables for that expanse of time, and we're not even certain Erixon will make it.

11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

He'll be in Hartford next year. They'll take the McDonaugh path with him, just like they are doing with Erixon.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
NYR Viper

IMO the Rangers will be looking to make a move this off-season in which they will deal away some depth + a young defenseman for a top-6 winger.

It's just the feeling I get. Especially if Erixon comes up half-way through the year.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:04 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
IMO the Rangers will be looking to make a move this off-season in which they will deal away some depth + a young defenseman for a top-6 winger.

It's just the feeling I get. Especially if Erixon comes up half-way through the year.
I'm with you on this one. The team is going to want to continue to add pieces.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I will bet that by the time McIlrath is ready to be an NHL player (If that day comes) that not all of the 6 guys you listed there will still be here.

Girardi has only 2 years left on his deal after this season. Sauer has only 1. Who knows. Too many variables for that expanse of time, and we're not even certain Erixon will make it.
We've had these discussions in the past with our prospects. There is no guarantee all of our guys (Dylan and Erixon) pan out and become what we expect of them.

I have a very hard time believing neither of these young dmen won't make it. And each of our starting dmen are imo, part of the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

I think it's one of MDZ or Erixon. I'm probably part of the minority, but I'd shop Tim before Michael. I'm a little skeptical about Sauer too. I could see Sather pawning him off for an upgrade elsewhere.

I can't for the life of me see Girardi, Staal, or McDonagh being shopped though.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not trying to get ahead of myself here. But, if/when Dylan's ready for full-time action, what happens to the rest of our Defense?

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
McIlrath

Woywitka, Eminger, and eventually Stralman. Not long-term answers to our blue-line imo. The rest of the guys though, are.

No he cant be he wont be. I'd put a 95% on that.

He's going to likely need another 2 whole years before he's ready anmd at that point we wont have some of the guys we have today. If somebody saw less even strength time I think it'd be McI and MDZ altho Girardi could start to decline by then too tho I hope not he's an all time great UFA find

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post

I doubt he starts the season in the NHL, but it's not impossible he ends it there. The talk of two full years is wrong. He'll be in the NHL at some point during the 2013 calendar year. It may be in February or it may be in November, but 2013 is going to see him in a Rangers uniform.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
bernmeister

Not likely to be this lucky, but best case scenario is:

He spends almost whole year on farm, comes up for proverbial "cup of coffee", and sticks, then works hard on his game w/special attention/training, and can compete next training camp.

Why is this even remotely feasible?
Because he is a stay at home D. Less skating is required, by design. If he has a partner who can do the skating/breakout/etc. --- Del Zotto? --- he can get by as late as year's end on this barebone basis.

If no Vtank, Parlett, etc step up, I see your lineup as the projected 7. However, Woywitka so far seems like a reasonable 7th. Guys like Hal Gill may come available affordably.

The question is, if help is available for the right F, will we have to part with one of these Ds. Assuming you have to give to get, and going by holding on to potential [as opposing to selling high upside on the cheap], then for the right price only Girardi or Sauer might be moved.

Last edited by bernmeister: 11-14-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: completion of OP question
bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I would agree this is the most likely scenario, you only need to look at this teams most recent history with their young dmen as proof...Sauer, McD and Erixon even MDZ to an extent.

NHL dmen take longer to develop, especially for a big kid.

From all inidcations Torts would prefer the higher end prospects getting minutes in Hartford over limited minutes with the big club. I don't see that changing with McI

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
He's probably two years away, at the earliest. I have no idea what the defense will look like at that time. How could anyone?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Pizza

Before September most of us took another strong year from Staal as a given. Now we don't know if he'll ever play again. Way too early for this discussion.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Poozer

Quote:
I think Dylan+Erixon will be ready before '3 years'.

Even if it's 2 years, all of our current dmen are long-term solutions.
Uhh.. Woywitka, Emminger, Bell, and Stralman are not long-term solutions.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

Quote:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
McIlrath

I think depending on Danny G. and his continued play from here on out makes that decision. If he continues to play as he has he will command top dollar on a FA market making this decision easy for the NYR.

If McIlrath impresses the hell out of the coaching staff in camp next year then its a different story.

I think McIlrath will realistically competing for a spot on NYR in the beginning of 2013 which will be the last year of Girardi's contract creating an interesting situation. Staal won't be going any where, neither is Mcdonagh. IF IF IF, big if, Sauer remains healthy and DZ continues to play as he has and Erixon is all he is tagged up to be, another IF, then I think Girardi will be the one moved to start restocking the system, or for a top 6 forward as Gaborik will also be in his last year of his contract.

Bump Mcdonagh up to Girardi's spot and bring McIlrath in.

But that is a long way away and much can happen in that time.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
That's a good question. Assuming full health for everyone, appropriate career development and no contract snags, we're probably two years away from having to make that call. My measured guess would be Erixon because is is the one player in the group with the least unique skill set. Nice problem to contemplate.

And mark me down as someone who sees McIlrath being a factor sooner rather than later.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
Uhh.. Woywitka, Emminger, Bell, and Stralman are not long-term solutions.
Look at the OP. BBG specifically states that Bell, Woywitka and Eminger aren't long term solutions. The long term guys he's talking about:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
McIlrath

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Having too much depth sounds like a good problem to have to me.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote