HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller or Desharnais

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Lars Eller "The Great Dane" 128 92.09%
David Desharnais "deHARNAY" 11 7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2011, 11:18 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Thanks, that all i was really trying to say.
People trying to label DD right now are totally off course.
Same way people tried to label St Louis back in the day .

Max Pacioretty is developing into a point per game player as we speak.
Now eventually him and David Desharnais will be fulltime LINEMATES again ,when the Habs brass figure it out .

Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais got special chemistry together, and you will see how it will make both men atleast ppg players .

In the Ahl, Pacman was a ppg player with DD as his line mate feeding him.

DD had 76 point in 60 games WITH Pacioretty on his line.

So we know the chemistry is there, and when the Habs ever make the decision to put these two together and LEAVE them together ,you will see it pay in spades.
Like I said, I respect your opinion, but along with many others, I just don't see that elite potential in DD, is there a chance of him become that, of course, but that could be said about a lot of guys. And its not so much about being labelled, but just given opinions like you are.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
MSL isn't the rule, but the exception to it.

Just for kicks, weber will also be good. I remember when this board felt he couldn't make the NHL.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:24 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Deharnais will be somewhere in Europe, while Martin St-Louis will still be playing in the NHL.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
habitue*

There is place for BOTH.

Both have shortcomings, and BOTH are rather inexperienced.

The best solution would be to have ONE player who got the addition of all their qualities.

DD is NOT the second coming of Martin St-Louis...

And Eller is NOT the second oming of Jordan Staal.

Last edited by habitue*: 11-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Like I said, I respect your opinion, but along with many others, I just don't see that elite potential in DD, is there a chance of him become that, of course, but that could be said about a lot of guys. And its not so much about being labelled, but just given opinions like you are.
The amount of time Pacman and DD has played together on the same line in the NHL has been minimal.Around this Oct 18th 2011 it was the first time they played together on a line since last December 2010. So again when the Habs get it right finally, and put them together FULLTIME ,will see it pay .

Just look the other night vs Nashville ,both on the same line and what happens?

Montreal Canadiens [first goal ]center David Desharnais (R) celebrates his goal with teammates Max Pacioretty (C) and Erik Cole (L) in front of Nashville net.

and overtime winner??Max Pacioretty from Pk Subban and David Desharnais

Last edited by Habaneros: 11-14-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
The amount of time Pacman and DD has played together on the same line in th NHL has been minimal.Around this Oct 18th 2011 it was the first time they played together on a line since last December 2010. So again when the Habs get it right finally ,will see it pay .

Just look the other night ,both on the same line and what happens?

Montreal Canadiens [first goal ]center David Desharnais (R) celebrates his goal with teammates Max Pacioretty (C) and Erik Cole (L) in front of Nashville net[/B]

and overtime winner??Max Pacioretty from Pk Subban and David Desharnais

Ok so just because he had a 2 point game it makes him a future 100pts player? I still don't think you understand how hard it is to get 100pts.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
habaneros, i like your enthusiasm, but come on man

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Ok so just because he had a 2 point game it makes him a future 100pts player? I still don't think you understand how hard it is to get 100pts.
What i'm saying is they BOTH will be PPG players when they finally get paired together again in the NHL.

And yes i feel DD has a good chance at 100 pt season in his career with Pacman on his line .

You ask do i know how hard it is to get 100 pts? No not personally, but David D does.
The guy done it 3 or 4 times in his career to date.(Always a ppg player to boot)

He has climbed every mountain put in from of him ,and i expect the NHL for him will be no different.He will silence any doubters, you just got to give it time .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I am wearing my Eller shirt right now. Does that answer your question ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Eller.

I don't see the purpose of this though. They play different roles and always will, in my opinion. Desharnais is (likely) going to be a 50-60 point offensive second liner, while Eller is going to be the complete package (ala Plekanec).

Either way, I wouldn't want to get rid of either at this point. Both are having a ridiculous amount of success as players with less than 100 games of experience. I'm a huge fan of both guys.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Yeah, this should be about as one sided of a discussion as you'll find.

It's Eller, and it's not even close.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Damn I hate this board's habit (societal habit actually) to live by dichotomies. Koivu vs Plex, Price vs Halak, Subban vs Weber, Gorges vs Emelin and on and on and on we go... pretty soon some people will ask if we should chose between Markov and Subban...

Put DD on the wing and keep Eller at center, keep both, /thread.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Stradale

Eller will be our 2nd center as soon as Gomez leaves this team.

I hope DD does really and get some value so we can trade him for something interesting back. Also, I don't think he's that weak like some people here pretend, he's a capable NHLer.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I didn't mention his conversion rate in this thread and in any case, I just don't see this big first line center everyone hopes he is. He may become a 60 point 2nd line center, but that's as far as I go tbh. I did say i see him as a guy who can play top 6 but likely won't be strong enough offensively to stick there IMO.
60pt #2 center would make him one of the best 2nd center in the Nhl. Pleky is our #1 and he is usually set to produce around that much.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Lars Eller.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

there is a poll now as many requested.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Clearly Eller, altho its no knock on Desharnais. This is like polling ''Subban or Diaz''. Not really fair.

Eller is a high end prospect and while both are close in actual ability right now its clear Lars has the hypothetical edge by a fair margin in the future (due to size, strenght, age, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
Damn I hate this board's habit (societal habit actually) to live by dichotomies. Koivu vs Plex, Price vs Halak, Subban vs Weber, Gorges vs Emelin and on and on and on we go... pretty soon some people will ask if we should chose between Markov and Subban...

Agreed 100%

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
60pt #2 center would make him one of the best 2nd center in the Nhl. Pleky is our #1 and he is usually set to produce around that much.
Hence, he 'may' but i really don't see it. I see a 40-50 pt guy max.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Exactly

But if you give me a choice, I would take Getzlaf or Giroux over any of these two.

Old
11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Exactly

But if you give me a choice, I would take Getzlaf or Giroux over any of these two.
so?

besides stating the obvious, i don't see how the two are related

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Some good PP time will boost Eller's confidence even more and his finishing will improve.

He could drive the net more but he's usually the one with the puck and distributing it to his wingers. He rarely gets the puck back after that.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
NewHabsEra*

If Eller was getting PP time like Desharnais is and have the wingers Desharnais have everynights, Eller would have at least as many pts as Desharnais right now..

Eller and its not even close.. Guys like Desharnais, borderline NHLers, are easy to find while you have to work pretty hard to get a guy like Eller in a trade.. Congrat MR. Gauthier!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hence, he 'may' but i really don't see it. I see a 40-50 pt guy max.
45-points would put him as a middle of the pack second line centre, which is nothing to be ashamed about.

However, that basically means you don't think he's going to improve with experience. And that's something I can't agree with. Even the biggest of doubters should realize that he'll get better with experience.

He was on pace for over 40-points in his quarter season of experience last year. He's on pace for over 50-points this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
If Eller was getting PP time like Desharnais is and have the wingers Desharnais have everynights, Eller would have at least as many pts as Desharnais right now..

Eller and its not even close.. Guys like Desharnais, borderline NHLers, are easy to find while you have to work pretty hard to get a guy like Eller in a trade.. Congrat MR. Gauthier!!
Borderline NHLer? Yeah because all borderline NHLers score 32 points in 59 games (45-point per 82-games) after becoming a full time player.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 11-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
45-points would put him as a middle of the pack second line centre, which is nothing to be ashamed about.

However, that basically means you don't think he's going to improve with experience. And that's something I can't agree with. Even the biggest of doubters should realize that he'll get better with experience.

He was on pace for over 40-points in his quarter season of experience last year. He's on pace for over 50-points this year.

Borderline NHLer? Yeah because all borderline NHLers score 32 points in 59 games (45-point per 82-games) after becoming a full time player.
Erik Christensen Kyle Wellwood category..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:32 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
so?

besides stating the obvious, i don't see how the two are related
It just means that if the habs draft better in 2003 or 2006, we have a better center than Eller or DD in the line up... + no Gomez..and we still have McDo on D.