HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Special shot blocking gear

Old
11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Special shot blocking gear

So I recently took up playing rec hockey with some buds, and I'm a large guy (6'6, 255 lbs), so I usually just check, screen the other team's goalie and block shots cause I'm a fairly 2-way player. I'm wondering if there's any extra gear I should invest in to make blocking shots less painful. It hasn't been a concern so far, but still something I thought I should inquire about.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Buy a pair of the Pro model shin pads, and make sure you're buying them long enough for your height. I wore a pair of 16" pro CCMs for a while and they offered more protection than my standard pair, particularly in the back.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Higher quality gear is more durable and more protective. I got some one90 shinpads and have taken slapshots from players in the QJMHL with no problem. For a guy that has been playing for only 2 years, the confidence that I've gotten from them is invaluable. I can't be sure if those sherwood 5030 shinpads would offer the same protection/durability/consistence.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Definitely want to make sure all your protective gear is up to snuff. Shoulder pads should have plastic inserts on the chest and spine and plenty of padding all around. Gloves should have plastic inserts on the fingers and backroll. Pants should have lots of padding on the front and back of the leg. Shin pads should be high end with lots of padding around the back of the calf too. Make sure the gear all fits with a little overlap. And then don't turn your feet out to block shots.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Pog Form

You might want to look into skate fenders as well (http://www.skatefenders.com/). I don't use them myself so I can't offer you a review, but I know a couple of people who swear by them, and a lot of NHLers are wearing them now as well.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
r3cc0s

why block shots in non-contact, non-competitive, that's the goalie's job

honestly I've seen so many guys who've tried and got hurt so many times...
stickcheck as best you can, but the goalie does the job..
sliding across the ice and taking a zinger off the body, heck through the pants or the under arm (for those who stretch out) its brutal

I wear one95's, and I can feel a hard slapper through em, I've taken redirected shots on the inside of my leg, and even if I wear shoulder pads, I've had the wind knocked out of my hitting my sternum throuhg my Jofa 8500's

and that's not intentially blocking a shot lol...

the worst is getting hit in the forearm area... on the inside cuff of a glove

PLUS... I've found the guys who aren't great skaters, who can bounce back up on their skates in the right direction get beat to the rebound and end up costing the goal.

If you have to block a passing/shooting lane take the shot standing upright, and hopefully it just hits your shin guards or pants and not your skate or upper body

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Cowbell232

Might not be gear related, but stay square to the play. The more padding you facing the puck as it hits you the less it'll hurt!

Old
11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Gibson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Might not be gear related, but stay square to the play. The more padding you facing the puck as it hits you the less it'll hurt!

This. Only time I've been stung by blocking a shot was when my skate was sideways and it hit my ankle. Otherwise I'm square to the shot. I don't have particularly good pads either.

Now I also don't block shots when I'm 15 feet away from the puck. I've never blocked a shot that has gone above my pants cause I'm just tight to the puck. I'd get worked if I took a shot to the mid section with my crappy chest protector.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Tylenol.

/thread

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
You might want to look into skate fenders as well (http://www.skatefenders.com/). I don't use them myself so I can't offer you a review, but I know a couple of people who swear by them, and a lot of NHLers are wearing them now as well.
I use the skate fenders and I would recommend them for you. I was tired of taking bombs to my feet (plays a lot of pk) so I began to use them this season.

They're super light weight, and they protect my feet well. Of course you feel the impact of a hard shot, but shots that usually would take you out of a game, more or less never happen now, at least not for me. Pepper pepper

EDIT: just talking about protecting your feet now, I don't know any special shot blocking gear besides from the fenders

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote