HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Martinez to IR; Voynov Recalled

Old
11-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Bandit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Johnson-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Scuderi-Greene

It's time for LA's two best defensemen to play together. The Kings paired two young defensemen together almost 20 years ago when they partnered Alexei Zhitnik with Rob Blake, and I think it's time they kept this pairing intact. They are both capable of logging close to 30 minutes of ice time, both are extraordinary skaters and highly skilled.

Some may question their propensity for trying to many risky moves with the puck, but as highly skilled defensemen, I think we'll see less time spent by the Kings inside their own zone with those two on the ice.

Voynov was performing very well being paired with Willie Mitchell, so I'd keep those two intact. Then you have a strong third defensive pairing that is reminiscent of Norstrom-Miller. Scuderi and Greene is LA's top pairing on the PK unit and provides them with a strong shutdown pairing on the blueline.
The only problem with a Johnson/Doughty pairing is you need your defensemen to, you know, play defense.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
The only problem with a Johnson/Doughty pairing is you need your defensemen to, you know, play defense.
I'll.....*gulp*....trust that one of those two guys will make the intelligent plays....so I could stick with Mitchell Voynov. It's what Slava is most comfortable with.

I think a pairing of Voynov-Greene will get victimized WAY more then Doughty Johnson.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:33 PM
misch13vousmike

its very odd, in one weeks time, 2 players definitely in question about performance, (parse and penner) are on injured reserve, and then martinez gets hurt and he was (i hate to use the term) on the bubble after a strong Voynov showcase during those 5 games. all 3 are now out of the lineup. Its a trip how this all just worked out for now, and YES, holloway in an idiot. He would be ideal to call up right now.

misch13vousmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Johnson-DoughtyMitchell-Voynov
Scuderi-Greene

It's time for LA's two best defensemen to play together. The Kings paired two young defensemen together almost 20 years ago when they partnered Alexei Zhitnik with Rob Blake, and I think it's time they kept this pairing intact. They are both capable of logging close to 30 minutes of ice time, both are extraordinary skaters and highly skilled.

Some may question their propensity for trying to many risky moves with the puck, but as highly skilled defensemen, I think we'll see less time spent by the Kings inside their own zone with those two on the ice.

Voynov was performing very well being paired with Willie Mitchell, so I'd keep those two intact. Then you have a strong third defensive pairing that is reminiscent of Norstrom-Miller. Scuderi and Greene is LA's top pairing on the PK unit and provides them with a strong shutdown pairing on the blueline.
It's gotta happen sooner or later unless Doughty and Johnson are going to babysit the prospects that come up from Manchester once Scuderi and Mitchell leave.

I like Mitchell with Voynov as well.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Definitely deserves this second shot. Hopefully he stays over Amart when hes ready from his injury.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Definitely deserves this second shot. Hopefully he stays over Amart when hes ready from his injury.
Hopefully? I doubt it. Martinez has been playing good...or well, was. Voynov will get sent back down when Martinez is healthy. So, enjoy it while he is here.

It's going to be funny when he doesn't produce or do anything worth bragging about and people are ready to send him back down. (not that I want that to happen, it's just kind of makes sense)

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
SFKingshomer

Thinking Muzzin will be recalled because he can play 2nd unit PP and is a LH shot like Martinez.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Thinking Muzzin will be recalled because he can play 2nd unit PP and is a LH shot like Martinez.
Lollll. Hfboards crash ahead.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Do you really think Murray would say this to the media if Muzzin was a possibility? I'm sure he talked to Dean before he left for the meetings.

Quote:
MURRAY: ď(Calling up a defenseman is) probably going to happen. Iíll have more conversation about that here after practice, but thatís something that weíre going to have to take a look at, and probably make happen. As we go back to the time when Drew Doughty was out of the lineup with his shoulder, we need a player thatís going to fit into that kind of a role, where heís going to play on the power play, a puck-mover, give us that special-teams look. Voynov is the player that was very good at it the last time, and he will probably get another opportunity.Ē

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
KingsFan24*

Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Brown
Cliche-Stoll-Moreau
Westgarth-Fraser-Hunter

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Drewiske-Greene

Lets call up Cliche and play Drewiske. Leave the other two scrubs to help Manchester yeeeee

KingsFan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

It's official, Slava has been recalled.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=601495

The Los Angeles Kings have recalled defenseman Slava Voynov from Manchester (AHL) and have placed defenseman Alec Martinez on the injured reserve list (retroactive to November 12) due to an upper body injury, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Hopefully? I doubt it. Martinez has been playing good...or well, was. Voynov will get sent back down when Martinez is healthy. So, enjoy it while he is here.

It's going to be funny when he doesn't produce or do anything worth bragging about and people are ready to send him back down. (not that I want that to happen, it's just kind of makes sense)
Theres a reason I said hopefully. I feel that if Voynov does good enough the Kings will have a hard time sending him down again

And hes officially back

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan24
Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Brown
Cliche-Stoll-Moreau
Westgarth-Fraser-Hunter

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Drewiske-Greene

Lets call up Cliche and play Drewiske. Leave the other two scrubs to help Manchester yeeeee
?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Doughty-Johnson needs to be our Weber-Suter or Keith-Seabrook. Bottom line. It needs to work. Doughty has the defensive ability but will Jack limit Drew's offense?

markisonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

This is a HUGE set up for future actions.

A Mart has proven himself to be a very adaptable two way young mobile D man who has yet to reach his best and there is allot of value in him. A chance to really showcase VV and give him some time to run with the big dogs just might be enough to force a move or two.

It might not be if we didn't have Muzz etc down on the farm but regardless of how you see it, this should be an interesting little time.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Doughty-Johnson needs to be our Weber-Suter or Keith-Seabrook. Bottom line. It needs to work. Doughty has the defensive ability but will Jack limit Drew's offense?
They always tear it up during the playoffs.

Jack Johnson, 12 points in 12 playoff games.
Drew Doughty, 11 points in 12 playoff games.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Although I love AMart, it's not too often that you get a couple guys injured, a couple guys called up from the A, and you can legitimately argue that the team got better.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Although I love AMart, it's not too often that you get a couple guys injured, a couple guys called up from the A, and you can legitimately argue that the team got better.
I'm sure some would disagree.

For me, I'm more excited to watch VV play than thinking that he's the better player of the two.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
It certainly has that feeling, but I don't think you can legitimately argue that. You would be underrating A-Mart (and Penner for that matter). There's no substitute for NHL experience. These guys are both pretty green. We'll see how they pan out.

- T

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I'm sure some would disagree.

For me, I'm more excited to watch VV play than thinking that he's the better player of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It certainly has that feeling, but I don't think you can legitimately argue that. You would be underrating A-Mart (and Penner for that matter). There's no substitute for NHL experience. These guys are both pretty green. We'll see how they pan out.

- T
Yeah fair enough. It's just kind of neat not to completely dread the usual injuries.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

The reason why I'm not too fond of a Johnson - Doughty pairing is, since both are capable of playing unreal minutes, it's an even bigger threat to have at least one of them on the ice for 50 minutes (25:00 for Johnson, 25:00 for Doughty, for example), instead of having the two of them on the ice together for 30 minutes.

One thing that made the Ducks so dangerous in 2007 was the fact they had either Pronger or Niedermayer on the ice at all times.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan24 View Post
Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Brown
Cliche-Stoll-Moreau
Westgarth-Fraser-Hunter

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Drewiske-Greene

You're the guy who proposed Mitchell for Bieksa, arn't you? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This is a HUGE set up for future actions.

A Mart has proven himself to be a very adaptable two way young mobile D man who has yet to reach his best and there is allot of value in him. A chance to really showcase VV and give him some time to run with the big dogs just might be enough to force a move or two.

It might not be if we didn't have Muzz etc down on the farm but regardless of how you see it, this should be an interesting little time.
Concur, this is going to help make up a few minds on some things that have to be addressed eventually.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Whiskeypete

JJ-DD
Willie-VV
Scuds-Greene

totally agree it's time to see this live. they need to figure out how to work together better and this will give them a ton of ice time together. they have been looking better together on the PP #1 unit so far this season. now let's hope they take the next step.

willie and vv, well you keep this together so the kid has continued continuity. i would go so far as even having willie out there on the #2 PP with him. Stoll and a rookie D on the PP is just asking for some shorties to occur. let's be honest about it, Stoll isn't contributing anything to the #2 PP. well except for marking up the back boards and glass from wide point shots.

love the prospect of Scuds-Greene on the #3 as a total shut down pair. they go as the #1PK D pair and then throw them out when needed with the MR line and LA can go into lockdown mode. obviously the transition and breakout may be a bit slower, but Greene looked great a few nights back.

now what IF TMu doesn't go with these pairings? then i am thinking he will go this route and it has a very strong benefit the first set of pairings don't have.

Scuds-JJ
Willie-VV
Greene-DD

DD on the third pairing....that's sacrilege!!!! ok look at in this way, LA now has a PMD on all three pairings. LA's breakout and transition is now that much quicker and if TMu dresses the fourth line minus Westie, then LA will finally be rolling four lines. that is a lot of up tempo and quick transition coming at an opponent.

the other benefit would be then how the hell does an opposing coach counter his lines against Murray's when he has DD skating on the 3rd pairing. suddenly now LA has DD out there QB'ing the #3 and #4 lines during ES situations. Murray 'protects' VV in the middle and paired with the #1-#3 lines. rolls Scuds-JJ with the #1-#2. well you get the picture. LA has strong shutdown D on all three lines and has strong PMD's on all three lines. initially this sounds crazy, but i can see TMu trying this out. .......and i wouldn't be surprised if it paid off.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I don't see it as DD on the third pairing I see it as us having so much depth on D that we can roll 3 legit number 1 pairings. JJ DD are both #1'a and WM/RS are both solid seconds. Mix any of our top 6 up any way you want and you have top pairings on most teams and at worst second pairings on everone else.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote