HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martinez to IR; Voynov Recalled

Old
11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
What about going with:

Scuderi/Doughty
Mitchell/Voynov
Johnson/Greene

That gives both a left and a right handed pairing and an offensive and defensive pairing.
Of course Johnson would see more minutes than Martinez would being lined up beside Greene.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Johnson-Greene combo gives me jitters. They just don't mesh very well. I don't think Greene reads Johnson very well, and vice versa. Scuderi and Johnson have a good thing going between them.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:33 PM
verbalkint47

i'm all for pairing jack and drew together. at some point they have to put on their big boy pants and play without being paired with a veteran stay at home guy.

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:21 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Johnson-Greene combo gives me jitters. They just don't mesh very well. I don't think Greene reads Johnson very well, and vice versa. Scuderi and Johnson have a good thing going between them.
I agree. I think the biggest issue with Johnson and Greene is they are willing to put themselves out of position to do extra - Greene with hitting, and Johnson with rushing the puck. This isn't as big of a problem as long as a forward stays back to support the play, but I think that it's asking too much of the forwards to cover for both.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Fishhead

I was genuinely worried that when Mitchell is gone our defense will take a step back. If VV keeps playing the way he's shown he can, that fear will be gone.

Our defense could very easily be one of the sickest in the league for a long time to come as we are positioned now.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

My hope is that the Kings extend Willie Mitchell for another year or two, he deserves it with his play and he's been a great influence to the young defensemen and a calming presence on the blueline.

If they can't re-sign Mitchell for some reason or another, the Kings would have to shop for another stay-at-home defenseman. I don't think anyone in Manchester can step in and play Mitchell's minutes.

There is one player that I would pursue aggressively if the Kings can't retain Willie Mitchell, and that's Tim Gleason.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
My hope is that the Kings extend Willie Mitchell for another year or two, he deserves it with his play and he's been a great influence to the young defensemen and a calming presence on the blueline.

If they can't re-sign Mitchell for some reason or another, the Kings would have to shop for another stay-at-home defenseman. I don't think anyone in Manchester can step in and play Mitchell's minutes.

There is one player that I would pursue aggressively if the Kings can't retain Willie Mitchell, and that's Tim Gleason.
It would really shock me if the Kings didn't extend Mitchell for at least another season. Would really like to see a 2 year contract worked out. He's been great with Doughty and Voynov. Like you said, a calming presence.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

I've been saying we should re-sign Mitchell for awhile now. He's vastly underrated because he just does his job and he often goes unnoticed.

I also agree about Gleason if we can't sign Mitchell, but my thinking is that Gleason will be too expensive.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Gleason may get a decent raise via free agency, as logic is usually thrown out the window when July 1 rolls around, but Mitchell's cap hit is $3.5M. I figure if he is extended it would have to be for less as he will be 35 next year and 35+ contracts will count towards no matter what happens to the player. Hopefully he continues to remain healthy.

Gleason will be turning 29 in January and has a cap hit of $2.75M, but is earning $3.5M this season. His new contract will probably be $4M, maybe more. I wouldn't hestitate giving him $4M at a moderate length, but I'm sure some club will offer up some ridiculous contract. It always happens.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:15 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Wisniewski got $5.5M so, I'm thinking Gleason should get something around 5M.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

One would think that watching Wisniewsk's performance would make managers wary of handing out ridiculous contracts, but you're probably right. They didn't learn from the Gomez, Redden, Avery, Drury contracts.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I've been saying we should re-sign Mitchell for awhile now. He's vastly underrated because he just does his job and he often goes unnoticed.

I also agree about Gleason if we can't sign Mitchell, but my thinking is that Gleason will be too expensive.
Only way LA wouldnt have to big time overpay is if we got his rights before July 1st and he wanted to be back. FA gives him 5-5.5

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

While I have a hard time seeing us let WM bail after this season in some ways we simply have to start making room for our kids in one way or another and the only way to do that the way things are today is by allowing our vets to move along.

Of course this leaves us in an exceptional position either way rather we move a vet or a highly touted kid we are in excellent shape for a return.

WM when healthy is simply just a solid bang on D man who can anchor a d pairing and take most any situation.

In a different way so does RS. MG is the weakest of the 3 but is still very good at what he does so deciding which to move isn't an easy thing.

IF N Des were NHL ready (2yrs away from my pov which is where I have had him) then I could see us maybe start considering bringing him up with the notion of replacing MG but with him (ND) being 2yrs from NHL duty (3yrs) from competing at a high level with the exception of Muzz we don't have any other Dmen down on the farm close enough to ready who has a physical element to their game that would allow us to move MG. Wow am I tired but you get the gist.

Anyway the way I see things working best is that we move one of RS or WM at the end of this season (WM walks or RS is moved). Will losing either of them open holes on our D? I think so but then the alternative is either losing VV or A Mart or or or.

I wouldn't pair JJ and DD together for several reasons unless it were on the PP or some other special circumstance. That said, if our PP units were DD/JJ and VV/AM we would be very well set on both units. You could say the same thing about any of our special teams under those circumstances too imo.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
KingLB

Per usual on this board, I think you guys are overrating Gleason a little bit. IMO WM>Gleason. Also, I'm not sure I'd ever give Defensive Dman over 4-4.25....and comparing him to Wiz is kinda misleading...offensive players ALWAYS get paid more/overpaid.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Per usual on this board, I think you guys are overrating Gleason a little bit. IMO WM>Gleason.
Factor in durability

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure I'd ever give Defensive Dman over 4-4.25....and comparing him to Wiz is kinda misleading...offensive players ALWAYS get paid more/overpaid.
He took the money and went to Columbus. That is above market value for him.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Per usual on this board, I think you guys are overrating Gleason a little bit. IMO WM>Gleason. Also, I'm not sure I'd ever give Defensive Dman over 4-4.25....and comparing him to Wiz is kinda misleading...offensive players ALWAYS get paid more/overpaid.
Of course WM>Gleason, who said otherwise?

As for Wiz to Gleason comparison, Wiz only had one breakout season which was last season, prior to that, they were comparable offensively.

This year, they both have 5 pts each but of course, Wiz has played fewer games.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:06 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Factor in durability

He took the money and went to Columbus. That is above market value for him.
Durability for who? Neither can seem to finish a season.

Almost ever FA is above the market....Gomez above the market, Drury above the market...Zues with the Kings....hell even Skuds was.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
KingsFan24*

Any chance that these players can be in Kings jerseys in the next couple months?

Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Niklas Kronwall
Ales Hemsky
Chris Kunitz
Alexander Semin
James Neal

KingsFan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan24 View Post
Any chance that these players can be in Kings jerseys in the next couple months?

Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Niklas Kronwall
Ales Hemsky
Chris Kunitz
Alexander Semin
James Neal
only one possible while still a slim chance is parise.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan24 View Post

Zach Parise - I hope so.
Ryan Suter - Nope
Shea Weber - Nope
Niklas Kronwall - Nope. Just signed a new long term deal
Ales Hemsky - No thanks. Too many injuries
Chris Kunitz - Nope. Signed a new 2 year deal
Alexander Semin - Nope. Definitely not a DL type player
James Neal - Nope. A RFA.
My answers above.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:42 AM
markisonfire

Unless the Kings are sending Jack Johnson to the Penguins for James Neal, there's no way. Even then.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
i'm all for pairing jack and drew together. at some point they have to put on their big boy pants and play without being paired with a veteran stay at home guy.
I agree. Also though, they might not be stay-at-home D's, but they can play D just fine. Drew has always said he thrives on stopping plays. Also these guys are smart. I'm sure if they're paired, they will have a plan worked out as for who backs who up and in what situations.

I'm excited to see it. Also excited for the Russian duo. They may not light it up, but it's good they're getting NHL experience. Perfect timing for it too because it's not that crucial a part of the season.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

New pairings per hammond

Doughty/Johnson
Mitchell/voynov
Scuds/Greene

Good man Murray. Good man

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
New pairings per hammond

Doughty/Johnson
Mitchell/voynov
Scuds/Greene

Good man Murray. Good man
Proof that Murray reads HF

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He listens to me. I should post more thoughts on how to coach the Kings...