HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enroth gets plowed... No reaction

Old
11-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Disenfranchised*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
More power to Enroth for selling that. Might not have elicited a physical reaction but definitely put the team on edge. May have been the difference between us beating that 4 on 3 and us losing. Enroth just has the team's pulse right now and it's showing.
Why do you keep saying he embellished it, Enroth clearly says in his post game that it actually hurt him I doubt a small goalie like him wants to take hits like that.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:00 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
Why do you keep saying he embellished it, Enroth clearly says in his post game that it actually hurt him I doubt a small goalie like him wants to take hits like that.
thats a really cool photo in your avatar.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:16 AM
TheoryNeutral
Twitter:@bruinsUnite

How often does that happen? It was obviously a statement on the non-suspension. And that makes it clearly intended.

TheoryNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Cole's "hit" caught Enroth knee-to-knee. You don't catch goalies (with pads as thick as mattresses) knee-to-knee and honestly expect to hurt them there, or at least you should reasonably expect you could just as easily get hurt yourself. Cole was obviously careless going that close to the net, but the manner in which he made contact with Enroth is far less indicative of an intent to injure. Cole and Enroth were both knocked off balance by the hit, and the only reason Enroth appeared to get the worse of it is because he obviously sold it.

Miller did not collide with Lucic. By the time Lucic got there, Miller had stopped and completely played the puck away. Lucic was the only one still moving by that time. Lucic led with his shoulder, which is what players typically do when initiating contact, rather than being caught by surprise by it. Lucic proceeded to drive his arms up through Miller, spinning him around. Clear video and stills of Lucic with his fists raised up above Miller's head indiciates a clear intent on Lucic's part to instigate contact, and follow through with it. Lucic did not lose balance from the hit, was in control over his own momentum, and stopped just past Miller, looking down on him.

It's really apples and oranges.

If you don't think any other skater could have avoided contact with Miller in that case, a. I question your judgment of the talent of NHL skaters (he had ample time and space to veer ever so slightly to the left if he had not wanted to hit Miller); and b. that still doesn't account for why he followed through with his arms. You think no NHL skater could keep his arms down either? It would be the natural thing to do if he had been caught off-guard by the contact.

Last edited by haseoke39: 11-15-2011 at 01:40 AM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:50 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

FWIW, even Mike Milbury thought it wasn't an appropriate time to retaliate. The same Milbury who spent the first and 2nd intermission popping off about any replay that didn't involve Sabres sending someone through a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsunite View Post
How often does that happen? It was obviously a statement on the non-suspension. And that makes it clearly intended.
So... Eric Cole wanted to send a message to the league? By intentionally taking a penalty in the first 2 minutes of overtime?

Monreals hatred of the Bruins can't possibly run that deep.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Dekar

I may have to visit this board more. If this were against Boston, they'd be drooling and bloodlusting over how "Cole ran Thomas"

Outside of Groucho up there, thanks for giving me some faith in HF, guys.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

OMG Pomminville was hit earlier this year, and I think Gerbe was checked! OMG why so SOFFFFFFFF?!

Relax, it's hockey. If the team is going to throw a hissy fit every time their goalie gets bumped I'll quickly stop watching. Enough of that goes on around the league as it stands today. Now getting plowed over in open ice, knocking the mask off? Yeah good time for a hissy fit!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:19 AM
sabrezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't think he meant to do it. And Jhonas definitely embellished it a bit.
This exactly. This type of play happens in almost every game. No harm, no worries. We got a OT PP out of it [/I ain't even mad]

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Clock

Don't feed the trolls, plz.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
DixonWard15

I don't know why they didn't respond when they were down a man with less than two minutes to go....its not the Sabres could have lost another skater

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

The big issue I have with Cole on Enroth is WTF is Cole skating well into the blue paint?

And I'm not buying that Enroth sold anything. He's standing in his crease (and not even at the top of the crease) and he gets wiped out by a forward skating through the crease on a lazy forecheck.

I agree that you take Cole's number and worry about it down the line in that spot. But, they do eventually need to send the message that it is not cool to skate through the crease and maybe clip a goalie.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Old Navy Goat

My take on the situation is that Cole wasn't really that aware of where he was on the ice when he turned away from the corner after giving up forechecking. He was looking at the Buffalo player more than paying attention to where he was skating until the last moment. It was a bonehead play on his part but hardly malicious.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The big issue I have with Cole on Enroth is WTF is Cole skating well into the blue paint?

And I'm not buying that Enroth sold anything. He's standing in his crease (and not even at the top of the crease) and he gets wiped out by a forward skating through the crease on a lazy forecheck.

I agree that you take Cole's number and worry about it down the line in that spot. But, they do eventually need to send the message that it is not cool to skate through the crease and maybe clip a goalie.
Enroth was looking right at Cole and his projected path and inched forward a few inches.

He's perfectly within his right to do so and it was well played, which is why almost no one is actually up in arms about it.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
My take on the situation is that Cole wasn't really that aware of where he was on the ice when he turned away from the corner after giving up forechecking. He was looking at the Buffalo player more than paying attention to where he was skating until the last moment. It was a bonehead play on his part but hardly malicious.
I'm not buying that a vet like Cole didn't know where he was on the ice.

Now if you want to argue that Enroth moved into his path, maybe.

But, Cole shouldn't have been skating through the crease in the first place.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Smitzo4221

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Nope. Time to send a message - it makes Sabres look soft. They have 1 pt.

They have PP in hand and they start something with Cole and you get 2min offsetting penalty or 5 minute major.

Rationalizing it was 2 points - is the same thing for when Lucic ran Miller.
Agree 100%. If this isn't the time to make a point then when will it be? I'd be willing to bet all my life savings the bruins would have reacted differently in this position. You have the one point and after the sabres have just become the most embarrassing team in the league they fail to make a statement. They better have one hell of a game vs Boston

Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Smitzo4221

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Not that it matters, but Pominville did skate over to Cole and got about as mean as Pominville ever will. Gave him a bump and some nasty words.

But yeah, I agree that a response was not necessary.
Pominville went after cole because cole shot the puck at him, accidently, after the play.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Smitzo4221

It's not about how hard the goalie is hit. It's about whether or not the goalie is hit. You are all making excuses for this ********* sabres team. You don't let someone wipe out your goalie...period. BTW cole has been known to throw some dirty hits. If Enroth had suffered an injury from this hit everyones reaction would be different. It doesn't matter make a ****ing statement. The fact that Macintyre is the back up right now should be enough. You don't let your goalie take any type of hit especially when you have a horrible NHL goalie as your back up.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm not buying that a vet like Cole didn't know where he was on the ice.

Now if you want to argue that Enroth moved into his path, maybe.

But, Cole shouldn't have been skating through the crease in the first place.
Almost every Habs fan, including me, would agree that Cole was dumb to get that close. It was a terrible time to get penalized, but he deserved it. As to 'intent', this is where each fan base brings their own bias to the equation. However, just looking at Cole -- and not into his psyche -- you can see that contact was no more than his leg or skate brushing against Enroth as he passed. In other words, very little 'intent' of anything. More a physical mistake than a mental motive, I'd guess.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
It's not about how hard the goalie is hit. It's about whether or not the goalie is hit. You are all making excuses for this ********* sabres team. You don't let someone wipe out your goalie...period. BTW cole has been known to throw some dirty hits. If Enroth had suffered an injury from this hit everyones reaction would be different. It doesn't matter make a ****ing statement. The fact that Macintyre is the back up right now should be enough. You don't let your goalie take any type of hit especially when you have a horrible NHL goalie as your back up.

Making excuses? ..... Majority of Sabre posters on this board have been tearing into this team the last week or so..... Why would "we" start making excuses for the team now?

If that hit took place earlier in the game...then yeah... you send message ...... At that point ... as minor of a hit as it was ... you don't do anything except for a few words...and address it next game if need be.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Wasn't bad at all but it still pissed me off.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
The difference in speed at which the players were skating is a huge difference, as is the points of contact.

It's not that people think the Cole on Enroth hit was ok, but the result was exactly what it deserved -- a 2 minute penalty.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Almost every Habs fan, including me, would agree that Cole was dumb to get that close. It was a terrible time to get penalized, but he deserved it. As to 'intent', this is where each fan base brings their own bias to the equation. However, just looking at Cole -- and not into his psyche -- you can see that contact was no more than his leg or skate brushing against Enroth as he passed. In other words, very little 'intent' of anything. More a physical mistake than a mental motive, I'd guess.
I don't think Cole intended to hurt Enroth. I just don't buy that he didn't know where he was.

Enroth definitely moved into Cole's path and "took the charge", but Cole knew he where he was. And my guess is that he had no worries about going there from a retribution POV.

My guess is that the crease is a true No Fly Zone when it comes to certain teams.

Old
11-16-2011, 01:41 PM
punkr0x

Gionta did almost the same thing to Reimer except he hit him in the head instead of the leg. 5'7" Brian Gionta. The leafs didn't feel the need to beat him to a pulp. I think if Lucic-Miller didn't happen, nobody is talking about this hit on Enroth.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Wrong play and wrong time to react. I'm actually proud of the team for doing nothing, considering the pressure to redeem themselves from the Boston game.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Dreakon

Is Cole some sort of idiot? That's the kind of crap I'd do in NHL 12 now that you can hit goaltenders.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote