HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Hockey Factories

Old
11-02-2011, 07:31 PM
30whales

vCash: 500
Hockey Factories

Which college hockey team is the best at producing NHL talent?

30whales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:11 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

The last article I saw had Michigan and Minnesota with the most NHLers

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
It will vary over time and what fringe NHLers are up or down. What are you looking for top players or just pure volume.

Speaking for the WCHA

For the gophers. In some years Jeff Taffe, Ryan Stoa etc.. all have played NHL games but i would not call them regulars. But if you count 1 NHL game as an NHLer that year it can be off. Nodak had Chourney, Jones, Porter, Hale and so on too.

Best player the last few years has been Jonathon Toews, NoDak, in the 2000s Dany Heatley WI, this year Kessel and Vanek are earyl tops in scoring MN. Most steady Sutter WI.

MN has Kessel, Vanek, Okposo, Wheeler up front and E. Johnson, P. Martin, Goligoski, Ballard, Leopold and Leddy on the blue line. Thats a solid NHL blue line for any team. MN does not have alot of talent from before 2000.

Gophers that have played at least 1 NHL game since 2000. Pohl, Westrum, Leopold, Hauser, Tallackson, Martin, Koalska, Ballard, Vanek, Irmen, Potulny, Chucko, Goligoski, Peltier, Kessel, Stoa, Wheeler, Okposo, Johnson, O'Brien, Leddy, i may have missed a few. I think Frazee and Bickel were called up but were healthy scratches and send down.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Badger36

Wisconsin. The top schools come and go but Wisconsin is routinely one of the top of the class in terms of NHL draftees.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
30whales

I think it has to be North Dakota and Minnesota.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:45 PM
nafsregnar27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
Wisconsin. The top schools come and go but Wisconsin is routinely one of the top of the class in terms of NHL draftees.
As a Rangers fan, I could not agree more. Stepan and McDonagh have been great for the Rangers since leaving Wisconsin. Gardiner looks great for the Leafs and so does Geoffrion and C. Smith for the Predators.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafsregnar21 View Post
As a Rangers fan, I could not agree more. Stepan and McDonagh have been great for the Rangers since leaving Wisconsin. Gardiner looks great for the Leafs and so does Geoffrion and C. Smith for the Predators.
I hate the Rangers. Took JT Miller from us

Old
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Which college hockey team is the best at producing NHL talent?
That's somewhat of a difficult question to answer because all of the aforementioned have, then you can toss in schools like Boston College, Boston University and so forth.

What people are forgetting here, is that it's not just drafted players. These days you are seeing more and more non-drafted players successfully making the jump to the NHL as free agents. Furthermore, it's no longer about just the traditional college programs like the Wisconsins, Michigans, Minnesotas and North Dakotas that are strictly producing the talent. You're beginning to see more non-traditional schools sending players. Two recent such examples are Matt Read out of Bemidji State and Stephane Da Costa out of Merrimack. I'm not saying nor implying that these schools and others like them will be big time producers of NHL talent, but it does show that the NHL does cast a wide net to seek out the best players possible, regardless of where they played their collegiate hockey.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
RabidBadger

Bucky has produced a steady stream of quality players, like the guys mentioned above..practically the entire blue line will be NHL regulars form the 2010 team. There is also a history of producing guys who are a step above from the talent pool that comes from the collegiate ranks; Engblom (keep in mind he played on a team with four hall of fame defensemen, talk about being overshadowed!) Chelios, Suter, Richter, Cujo, Rafalski, Heater, etc. Some programs can match the quantity of NHL talent produced, not many programs can match the quality though.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote