HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles' Football (NFL discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Prove he's trying to get famous off of this. You want me to prove that Paterno is a sack of crap more concerned with preserving his own image and legacy than with putting a pedophile behind bars, so you do the same for this guy.
I was a bit short.

I can think of any number of motivations, some legitimate and some not. I guess his motives don't really matter--but that doesn't make him any more credible than the hundreds of former players and coaches who have lined up behind Paterno--many of whom have far better established reputations, and thus have much more to lose.

Is that a fairer way to put it?

Old
11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I was a bit short.

I can think of any number of motivations, some legitimate and some not. I guess his motives don't really matter--but that doesn't make him any more credible than the hundreds of former players and coaches who have lined up behind Paterno--many of whom have far better established reputations, and thus have much more to lose.

Is that a fairer way to put it?
It is. But as I've mentioned before, Paterno has worked long and hard to create his image and personality cult, and it isn't the real Paterno. Of course lots of people line up behind him, it's a result of the image he's established. But there are plenty who have seen his bad side, including my own grandfather, who got shafted by Paterno for nothing more than a small slight to his ego. Paterno knew about Sandusky in 98, and again in 02. He kept him around and under wraps because he knew what could happen to his precious legacy. Unfortunately, (well, fortunately) they weren't able to keep Sandusky brushed under the carpet.

Also, just because you disagree with Paterno's critics doesn't make them less credible.

11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
It is. But as I've mentioned before, Paterno has worked long and hard to create his image and personality cult, and it isn't the real Paterno. Of course lots of people line up behind him, it's a result of the image he's established. But there are plenty who have seen his bad side, including my own grandfather, who got shafted by Paterno for nothing more than a small slight to his ego. Paterno knew about Sandusky in 98, and again in 02. He kept him around and under wraps because he knew what could happen to his precious legacy. Unfortunately, (well, fortunately) they weren't able to keep Sandusky brushed under the carpet.

Also, just because you disagree with Paterno's critics doesn't make them less credible.
And because you agree with his critics doesn't make them more credible.

I don't disagree with much you wrote--though I'm still not sure its documented that Paterno did know about '98--you can choose to believe he did, but Gamin is reporting he didn't, and I believe he testified that he didn't.

Regardless, I'd prefer due process run its course before everyone starts condemning those involved. I was dating a Duke grad back in 2006 when the whole country was ready to march down to Durham and hang the LAX team--only to find out the accuser lied and prosecutor manipulated the evidence.

I'm not saying that's what is going on here--I firmly believe Sandusky is guilty of all the charges leveled and probably many others. (As an aside, whoever thought he should do a national interview right now is a moron--on a creepiness level alone, the guy should go to jail). But I believe he deserves his day in court, as do all others involved.

There are at least three trials coming--and we should soon have answers to at least some of the questions--who knew what and when, do did what and when. I guess I would just like to see everyone hold off on rendering judgments until then.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No more Paterno Trophy for the Big Ten, it didn't even see the light of day.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ionship-trophy

Quote:
"We believe that it would be inappropriate to keep Joe Paterno's name on the trophy at this time," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said in a statment. "The trophy and its namesake are intended to be celebratory and aspirational, not controversial. We believe that it's important to keep the focus on the players and the teams that will be competing in the inaugural championship game."
I never liked that they were calling it that to begin with. You shouldn't be able to win a trophy named after you.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Fair enough.

Speaking of creepiness level, a friend of mine told me that his backyard faces an elementary school. Can anyone confirm that? Because, holy **** if that's true.

edit: @ Jeh82, DFF hopped in before I could hit post

Old
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Fair enough.

Speaking of creepiness level, a friend of mine told me that his backyard faces an elementary school. Can anyone confirm that? Because, holy **** if that's true.
Yup, his house is about 1,000 feet from the school.

http://sportsbybrooks.com/sandusky-r...y-school-29896

Old
11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Two things:

Anyone hear Sandusky's interview with Bob Costas? Admitting to showering, horsing around in the showers, and inappropriately touching legs, but nothing sexual. wtf???

Also, McQueary is saying that he did more than just run away from the situation. He doesn't say exactly what he did, but he said something like he made quick and tough decisions to stop what was going on. That's a lot better than what everyone thought he did, but you still gotta call the cops IMO.

EDIT: Here's what he said in an email to former teammates...

Quote:
In an email to former teammates, obtained by NBC News, McQueary said: "The truth is not out there fully" and that he "didn't just turn and run" after seeing the alleged molestation.

"I made sure it stopped. I did the right thing ... you guys know me," he wrote, adding that he "had to make quick, tough decisions."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...re-it-stopped/

Old
11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I sure hope McQueary did something.

As for the Costas interview, Bob sounded pretty indignant/disgusted at times. Listening to Sandusky's answer to the "are you sexually attracted to..." question had all my "LIE" alarms going off.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Two things:

Anyone hear Sandusky's interview with Bob Costas? Admitting to showering, horsing around in the showers, and inappropriately touching legs, but nothing sexual. wtf???

Also, McQueary is saying that he did more than just run away from the situation. He doesn't say exactly what he did, but he said something like he made quick and tough decisions to stop what was going on. That's a lot better than what everyone thought he did, but you still gotta call the cops IMO.

EDIT: Here's what he said in an email to former teammates...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...re-it-stopped/

Almost vomited when I heard him say that. And I mean literally, I actually almost puked.

Quote:
I sure hope McQueary did something.

As for the Costas interview, Bob sounded pretty indignant/disgusted at times. Listening to Sandusky's answer to the "are you sexually attracted to..." question had all my "LIE" alarms going off.
Yea same here.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:54 PM
TheLegendkiller

Some article online talked about trading Vick after the season was done. Palmer was traded for a first and a second so Vick would likely get a huge return. The article suggested to use that pick on Matt Barkley. Sounds like a plan...then I notcied that at least 4 teams that need a QB would pick before the Eagles in the draft.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
duffy9748

Need some fantasy football trade advice.

I'm getting:

Matt Forte
Brandon Lloyd
Doug Baldwin

I'm giving:

Calvin Johnson
Darren Sproles

Yes or No?

Old
11-16-2011, 05:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Need some fantasy football trade advice.

I'm getting:

Matt Forte
Brandon Lloyd
Doug Baldwin

I'm giving:

Calvin Johnson
Darren Sproles

Yes or No?
I wouldn't do this in a million years. Baldwin is worthless unless you are in an incredibly deep WR league (I'm in a league with 12 teams and 4 starting WRs and I have Baldwin on my bench).

Old
11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wouldn't do this in a million years. Baldwin is worthless unless you are in an incredibly deep WR league (I'm in a league with 12 teams and 4 starting WRs and I have Baldwin on my bench).
I'll still have Vincent Jackson, Lloyd, and Manningham. My Rbs right now are Beanie Wells and Sproles so Forte would help me out a ton.

Old
11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I'll still have Vincent Jackson, Lloyd, and Manningham. My Rbs right now are Beanie Wells and Sproles so Forte would help me out a ton.
You'd probably be better off picking up a guy from FAa to help you in RB department.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Does anyone else feel the way I do. I still believe the DK injured his ribs in the fourth quarter when he said he had the wind knocked out of him. Not the second play from scrimmage. But if what he said is accurate then he played the entire game with no pain medication. This game with the stinking giants is critical. Put a flak jacket on give him a shot or two and get in there. Tony Romo did it. Well now VY the man who coined the term "Dream Team" better be ready. Ah what the heck. The season is over, who is kidding who.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:52 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Vince Young is so bad....

Old
11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Vince Young looks awful right now, as does Eli though. As an outsider, this is pretty comical for me so far. :X

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Jackson is done here.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Jackson is such a *******

Old
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Whoa whoa whoa how the hell does that offset and come back when the taunting penalty happened AFTER the play??

Edit:
Quote:
RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Does offsetting penalties make sense? If Giants DON'T commit a penalty, the play stands, minus the taunting penalty? How can that be?
Un****ing believable.

Old
11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Shady McCoy
Eagles That Quack

Yeah, i'm not really sure how that results in the play never happening.

Old
11-20-2011, 08:44 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Jackson is done here.
I'm with you, get rid of this sideshow. Does this money hunger moron realize that that the season is on the line every game for the rest of the year and he's showing off like the team is 9-0 and winning by 30. Got to go Desean why don't you go to a team that doesn't give a ***** about winning. You can showboat and taunt all you want.

Old
11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
I'm with you, get rid of this sideshow. Does this money hunger moron realize that that the season is on the line every game for the rest of the year and he's showing off like the team is 9-0 and winning by 30. Got to go Desean why don't you go to a team that doesn't give a ***** about winning. You can showboat and taunt all you want.
That punt return doesn't change my stance, get your act together or get lost

Old
11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Jackson is done here.
What did he do now

Old
11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
TheLegendkiller

Meh I still thinking taunting is a stupid penalty, like unsportsmanlike conduct. Let them troll each other, makes things more interesting.

I felt like the rivalry 3 years ago was a little stale but over the past 2 seasons its been real ****ing intense. We have a little agitators on our team that troll the **** out of the Giants. They have some annoying guys on theirs as well. But I like our teams trolling attitude. We just need alot more physical players to offset it.

And while I'm typing this Jenkins just annihilated somebody. That's how you ****ing play football. Exactly what the Eagles have been lacking.

Closed Thread