HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres - Devils

Old
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

vCash: 500
Sabres - Devils

Buffalo is undersized, NJ is nearing bankruptcy - lets make a deal....

To

C/RW Danius Zubrus ($3.4M)

Buffalo gains a big bodied forward to add some physicality to the forward corps - similar numbers to Boyes this year, slightly lower cap hit with one more year remaining (@$3.4M).

1. Vanek-Roy-Pominville
2. Adam-Zubrus-Stafford
3. Ennis-Leino-Kaleta
4. Gerbe-Gaustad-McCormick

X. Hecht [LTIR], Ellis, Tropp
** depth chart with healthy Ennis

To

C/RW Brad Boyes ($4M)

Again, very similar numbers to Zubrus - would allow New Jersey to free up $3.4M salary at the end of the year which would be quite useful if...
a) they are trying to lock up Parise long-term
b) they are trying to stay out of rumoured bankruptcy

1. Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk
2. Sykora-Elias-Boyes
3. Tedenby-Henrique-Clarkson
4. Boulton-Josefson-Palmieri

X. Zharkov, Carter, Janssen
** depth chart with healthy Zajac, Josefson, Kovy, Boulton

Thoughts?

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
LGB24

pass, boyes has been playing well lately. This is a lateral move at best IMO

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Beerz

Zubrus ?

Didn't we try his "physicality" once before?

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

That ship has sailed.

chadthestampede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:14 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I am such a fan of brad boyes.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
jfb392

Looking past Zubrus' production, we can't afford to carry an additional $3.4m next season.
We'll have $8,266,310 in cap space with five skaters to sign.
Right now, it looks likely that we'd want to retain Ennis (RFA, QO is $918,750), Gaustad (UFA, $2,300,000), Gragnani (on pace to be an RFA, QO is $605,000), and Kaleta (RFA, QO is $1,002,750), so that's likely at least $4,826,500 of that $8,266,310 spent.
So, even if we signed these four players for that little, which is unlikely, we'd have $3,439,810 to sign one forward (and even then, we'd only be able to spend around $2,500,000, as we would need to have some additional space).
If we spent the aforementioned amount of money (again, extremely unlikely that we'd lock them up for that little) on those four players and traded for Zubrus, we'd have $39,810 in cap space going into next season, which is not a workable amount.

Even if we made another move to make it possible, he's averaged 35 points since signing this contract.
We can't afford to overpay more players.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:24 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Been there done that, no thanks.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:40 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

The time to sign Zubrus was when he was UFA after the Sabres deadline acquisition. A few days late and a few million dollars short.

Quite honestly, you want a younger, cheaper, version of Zubrus if you can find one...

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
The time to sign Zubrus was when he was UFA after the Sabres deadline acquisition. A few days late and a few million dollars short.

Quite honestly, you want a younger, cheaper, version of Zubrus if you can find one...
There is the problem...

Old
11-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Zubrus ?

Didn't we try his "physicality" once before?
Are you saying he wasn't playing physical hockey on that playoff run?

Cos if you are, you're flat out wrong. Guy was an animal.

Personally, I'd swap Boyes for Zubrus in a second and not look back.

Last edited by Corto: 11-15-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:38 AM
jamers

Not too keen on making a deal right now. We're doing fine in the standings, more than fine actually, and I'm interested to see how we respond physically. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a tougher top 9 or even top 6 forward, but I still think it's premature.

Last edited by jamers: 11-15-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:02 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
If I knew Zubrus would be an animal along the walls like he was back in 2006-2007, I'd do it.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
New Jersey is nearing bankruptcy...so let's send them more salary for this season? There's a disconnect here. And, as stated above, I don't want his contract for next season. We're going to have a difficult time as it is addressing needs without trading someone like Leopold. Acquiring Zubrus simply compounds the problem. Pass.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Not too keen on making a deal right now. We're doing fine in the standings, more than fine actually, and I'm interested to see how we respond physically. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a tougher top 9 or even top 6 forward, but I still think it's premature.
The Eastern standings are way too tight to take any comfort in, but imagine how good we would look if we weren't man-handled every other game. We will respond physically the same way we always do - Gerbe, Cody & Goose play a checking role for a period or two - then we go soft again.

This team has been undersized & soft for 2+yrs, It would be hard to call any move for size/grit premature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
New Jersey is nearing bankruptcy...so let's send them more salary for this season? There's a disconnect here. And, as stated above, I don't want his contract for next season. We're going to have a difficult time as it is addressing needs without trading someone like Leopold. Acquiring Zubrus simply compounds the problem. Pass.
Respectfully disagree Zip,

NJ would be adding $600K to the books to save $3.4M - makes pretty good financial sense to me.

Lack of size/toughness is a need right now, never mind next years needs... Zubrus can fix that problem fairly quickly, not to mention he plays centre way better than Boyes, which is another need of ours. Realistically, we are going to have to move somebody (Leo, Sekera, Grags) from the back-end by next season anyhow - we simply can't have $20M+ tied up on 6.5 d-men, it's ridiculous!!!

We also have Kassian, Foligno, Tropp, Scheistel & McNabb nearing NHL ready on ELC's which will help with our options for next year, and with Kotalik & Morrisonn off the books it leaves the door open for Rochester for some salary dumping should we need it.

IMO, Dainius is an ideal candidate to go after right now - he would address a couple current needs, add a slight cap relief for this year ($600K - that's enough to keep Ellis or Grags up), and could likely be had fairly reasonably.

Last edited by Blitz: 11-15-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old
11-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Respectfully disagree Zip,

NJ would be adding $600K to the books to save $3.4M - makes pretty good financial sense to me.
The bankruptcy process is a tricky animal. Creditors are king. You are essentially their *****. They may not care about next season if they think this process will be taken care of by then.

Quote:
Lack of size/toughness is a need right now, never mind next years needs... Zubrus can fix that problem fairly quickly, not to mention he plays centre way better than Boyes, which is another need of ours. Realistically, we are going to have to move somebody (Leo, Sekera, Grags) from the back-end by next season anyhow - we simply can't have $20M+ tied up on 6.5 d-men, it's ridiculous!!!

We also have Kassian, Foligno, Tropp, Scheistel & McNabb nearing NHL ready on ELC's which will help with our options for next year, and with Kotalik & Morrisonn off the books it leaves the door open for Rochester for some salary dumping should we need it.

IMO, Dainius is an ideal candidate to go after right now - he would address a couple current needs, add a slight cap relief for this year ($600K - that's enough to keep Ellis or Grags up), and could likely be had fairly reasonably.
I'm completely aware of all these things. I still think Zubrus is better at wing than center, and we don't need another wing and we definitely don't need another wing masquerading as a center. (Obviously, NJ's center depth is as bad or worse than ours, hence why he's playing there.). I don't mind Zubrus, but I think he restricts how much this team can improve itself in the offseason, and I don't think he's a cure-all for this team.

If we're trading Boyes--and I hope we do at some point--I want a good deal more in cap space in addition to whomever we're acquiring. Ideally, said defensive forward will be around $2m in cap hit, which will allow for another move at the deadline. The OP is not terrible--and you know I tell you when your proposals are terrible--it's just not one I'd do. Agreeing to disagree is fine.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If the team can't pay their bills now, and is on the brink of bankruptcy, they're not going to add a single penny in expenses more than they have to.

Frankly, if they go into bankruptcy, they wouldn't be allowed anyway.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The bankruptcy process is a tricky animal. Creditors are king. You are essentially their *****. They may not care about next season if they think this process will be taken care of by then.

I'm completely aware of all these things. I still think Zubrus is better at wing than center, and we don't need another wing and we definitely don't need another wing masquerading as a center. (Obviously, NJ's center depth is as bad or worse than ours, hence why he's playing there.). I don't mind Zubrus, but I think he restricts how much this team can improve itself in the offseason, and I don't think he's a cure-all for this team.

If we're trading Boyes--and I hope we do at some point--I want a good deal more in cap space in addition to whomever we're acquiring. Ideally, said defensive forward will be around $2m in cap hit, which will allow for another move at the deadline. The OP is not terrible--and you know I tell you when your proposals are terrible--it's just not one I'd do. Agreeing to disagree is fine.
And I always appreciate your "straight-from-the-hip" mentality, especially since you always have an good explanation for your views - It's a very rare thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If the team can't pay their bills now, and is on the brink of bankruptcy, they're not going to add a single penny in expenses more than they have to.

Frankly, if they go into bankruptcy, they wouldn't be allowed anyway.
A contract is a contract - They owe Zubrus another $3.4M after July 1, 2012 and therefore he is a creditor (as he is not an actual employee). unloading that contract would be a method of relieving a creditor debt, and therefore would be encouraged by any bankruptcy mediator prior to actually filing for chapter 11 protection in an effort to avoid filing such a motion, or at very least delaying it.

After filing, the move would still be potentially possible unless it was deemed to lower the value of the assets in question (team & team assets), but would ultimately require legal acceptence.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
AirheadPete

devils would never do this. zubrus' contribution goes beyond the stats and scoresheet

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote