HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

An Exclusive Interview with RJ Umberger

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 03:17 PM
PecaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
Personally, I think RJ is being pigheaded and somewhat silly. To be 'insulted' by Kelser's contract is immature. Sign the deal and prove the organization wrong. If they truly lowball you in the future, then you deal with it in the future - after you've already proven your worth around the league.
But *how* would he deal with it in the future? Say he signs for the lowball offer of 600K, 700K, whatever it is. He gets stuck in Manitoba for a year, maybe more, because this team is *very* tough to break into. So if that happens, he's making minor league money, not even the lowball offer.

But say he goes out, makes the team and has plays *phenomenal*. Next contract, the 'Nucks say "We only have to offer you a 10% raise. 770K, take it or leave it. We have your rights until you're 31." In that situation, he has *zero* leverage, even worse than his current situation.

To come out ahead in this, all Umberger needs to do is make the NHL on any team in the league.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
But say he goes out, makes the team and has plays *phenomenal*. Next contract, the 'Nucks say "We only have to offer you a 10% raise. 770K, take it or leave it. We have your rights until you're 31." In that situation, he has *zero* leverage, even worse than his current situation.
You can say this about virtually every player who signs their first contract, the top end aren't making much more of a base salary than what Umberger has supposedly being offered. If Umberger signed to what the Canucks are offering, played three phenominal seasons and firmly entrenched himself as a top 6 forward, he'd get paid accordingly. The Canucks have always been fair to player's who have proven themselves at the NHL level(maybe not to Schaefer).

Old
10-28-2003, 07:16 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
You can say this about virtually every player who signs their first contract, the top end aren't making much more of a base salary than what Umberger has supposedly being offered. If Umberger signed to what the Canucks are offering, played three phenominal seasons and firmly entrenched himself as a top 6 forward, he'd get paid accordingly. The Canucks have always been fair to player's who have proven themselves at the NHL level(maybe not to Schaefer).
he should be paid what Kesler is being paid. I don't see how that's unreasonable.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:14 PM
nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
he should be paid what Kesler is being paid. I don't see how that's unreasonable.
Exactly, obviously the Canucks don't see Umberger as good as Kesler in their eyes and don't think he's worth it, the bottom line is that they're not going to get a contract done if both stay stubborn like this.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
I never said that was unreasonable...

Old
10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I never said that was unreasonable...
sorry...

bottom line is, I understand perfectly RJ asking for Kesler money. I don't think it's fair for Burke to tell RJ after he lead his team in scoring every year and was the go to guy on his team that he's worth less than his teammate.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:37 PM
thecanucker

Send a message via MSN to thecanucker
What about trading Umberger for Kraft?

Kraft and Pittsburgh 2nd

For

Umberger and Vancouver's 3rd

Old
10-31-2003, 06:35 AM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanucker
What about trading Umberger for Kraft?

Kraft and Pittsburgh 2nd

For

Umberger and Vancouver's 3rd

The only problem with a trade like this is the fact Kraft has to clear waivers. The Canucks have to receive a player that is waiver exempt or a lock to make the roster. I can't see where Kraft would play on the Canucks right now if he barely warrants a roster spot on the rebuilding Pens. Kraft would be snatched up if put on waivers due to his age and upside. If Umberger's traded, it has to be in a package for a guaranteed roster upgrade (big, tough defensive rearguard or maybe a sniper) or a waiver exempt (under 21) prospect.

Pittsburgh keeps coming up as a solid trading partner re: Umberger and for good reason. Perhaps later in the year towards the trade deadline something might happen (Straka?).

Closed Thread