HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber: Pry him away from Nashville

Old
11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Weber has a 1 year deal. You cant sign an extension until January if you are on a 1 year deal.
Also he is still a RFA, so they could take him to arbitration

Actually they CANNOT take him to arbitration.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Sorry, just posted that because you mentioned the possibility of Weber becoming a UFA in your previous reply.
As in next year, i meant not the upcoming free agency.. Sorry

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Holmgren is going to resign Carle sadly. Might as well forget about this idea.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
DenverBoone

I think every team has a thread about how they are going to extract Weber and Suter. Funny

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Hopefully I am wrong about Carle and he can take his turnover act to Winnipeg or something.
I dont think we can go after Suter or Weber without shedding salary, even with Carle gone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I dont see how NSH could allocated 7 mill to a goalie before focusing on weber. That is insane to me.
I heard Poile interviewed. They paid Rinne to demonstrate that they are committed to keeping the big 3 together, and that top money will be available for Suter and Weber.

I don't know why people are obsessed with pipe dream.

We can't afford to reup Carle or keep Meszaros.

The only way we can afford Weber is if Kimmo or Briere goes first. Is that happening?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Kaktus*

How much Timonen makes next year? Not his cap hit but how much do we owe him?

Could be why we may have a shot at Suter.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
How much Timonen makes next year? Not his cap hit but how much do we owe him?

Could be why we may have a shot at Suter.
$3,000,000.00

edit: why would that help us get Suter though?

11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Hopefully I am wrong about Carle and he can take his turnover act to Winnipeg or something.
I dont think we can go after Suter or Weber without shedding salary, even with Carle gone.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jacob Voracek ($3.250m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Andreas Nodl ($0.845m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
/ / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,633,373; BONUSES: $3,555,000CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$1,633,373

There you go. Voracek gets a raise to 3.25 mil (reasonable IMO). Suter signed at 7.5 mil (should be enough IMO). The cap will DEFINITELY go up at least 3 mil just from the new TV money so IMO 68 mil is rather conservative. We can slide up to 3.555 mil of bonuses giving us another 1.9 mil in "call-up/injury" money for during the season. We can do it and the only 2 current roster players it costs us are Jagr and Carle. I could handle replacing what we are currently icing in Jagr and Carle with Schenn and Suter.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
$3,000,000.00

edit: why would that help us get Suter though?
Why do you think I mentioned that?

Old
11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Why do you think I mentioned that?
I have no idea. Do you think this organization actually cares about spending money?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I have no idea. Do you think this organization actually cares about spending money?
He either want's to trade him to a team that can use him, can handle the 6.333 mil cap hit to reach the cap floor while paying him less in actual salary, OR since Kimmo would be leaving a smaller amount on the table, he could just retire after this year and not hurt his own pocketbook too much (as a little "incentive" for Kimmo to retire early we could always pay him 3 mil as our "scout" over in Europe )

Old
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
He either want's to trade him to a team that can use him, can handle the 6.333 mil cap hit to reach the cap floor while paying him less in actual salary, OR since Kimmo would be leaving a smaller amount on the table, he could just retire after this year and not hurt his own pocketbook too much (as a little "incentive" for Kimmo to retire early we could always pay him 3 mil as our "scout" over in Europe )
Your really determined to some how find a way for Weber to fit here arent you haha. Kimmo is not retiring until his contract is up. Euroflyers said something about this before. I will say if we win a cup this year then maybe he will retire.

Weber is RFA this year and UFA next year. Gives us two chances to get him. No offer sheet ofcourse.

This year we could try to trade for him... Schenn/Couts+Carle/Mez+1st(I think other teams might have a better offer maybe though). That would free up the room for Weber and his salary.

UFA we would actually have a decent chance if he makes it there because Kimmo contract would be up after next season. 6.333 million that was used on Kimmo could be used on Weber.

Both of these scenarios are very very unlikely. A player like Weber rarely hit the UFA market though

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Exactly.

Of course this statement automatically makes me Timonen's hater. Hartnell/Coburn/Mez according to some I already hate those 3..

Anyway, I see Homer choosing between heart and soul guy like Timonen and guy who can play here for the next 10 years. You know.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

It's going to depend on whether Timonen feels like moving, too.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Your really determined to some how find a way for Weber to fit here arent you haha. Kimmo is not retiring until his contract is up. Euroflyers said something about this before. I will say if we win a cup this year then maybe he will retire.

Weber is RFA this year and UFA next year. Gives us two chances to get him. No offer sheet ofcourse.

This year we could try to trade for him... Schenn/Couts+Carle/Mez+1st(I think other teams might have a better offer maybe though). That would free up the room for Weber and his salary.

UFA we would actually have a decent chance if he makes it there because Kimmo contract would be up after next season. 6.333 million that was used on Kimmo could be used on Weber.

Both of these scenarios are very very unlikely. A player like Weber rarely hit the UFA market though
I wasn't the one who was pushing for the info on Kimmo's actual salary, I was just posting why I think the OP was "hinting" at his salary being lower than his cap hit being important.

Me, I don't think it's realistic at all for us to even consider aquiring Suter or Weber. Do I WANT to see them in O&B, you bet your ass I do but I really don't think there's much reason to waste time talking about it now.

Money isn't a problem with Nashville for their big 3. They've shed money over the past year and a half to put themselves into position to be ABLE to resign them both all. they already made the commitment to Rinne. Weber is a pending RFA and he's said openly that he wants to see a COMMITMENT from management not only to keeping it's core talent but to actually be aggressive at building a true cup contender before he'll sign a long term deal. Obviously he would LOVE to stay in Nashville but only if they aren't just content with making the playoffs but actually intent on WINNING the cup. I think if they went ot him and told him that they have some good young talent coming up but that they will need another 2-3 years and that they don't want to sacrafice that young talent for a one year run that Weber would sign a 3-4 year deal and then re-evaluate where the team is and where they are going. He doesn't control his own destiny for another 2 years and there is no incentive for the Preds to move him. They are a much better team with keeping him than they would be with whatever they could get for him in a trade.

Suter is a different story. I have no idea whether Suter feels like Weber, whether he wants out at all costs, whether he wants to stay and will stay for less or if it's something entirely different. I DO however believe that the Preds want desperately to keep Suter and that they are willing to pay at the upper scale of what he could expect to get on the UFA market. I think this is in part due to them needing to keep Suter in order to get Weber to sign long term. I personally think that if Suter walks or is traded that Weber won't be far behind. It's for this reason that I think that both Suter and Weber stay in Nashville for the near forseeable future.

I've said this before, I think that the best bet for Nashville would be to ADD a top 6 forward, not trade away anything from their curent roster.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I wasn't the one who was pushing for the info on Kimmo's actual salary, I was just posting why I think the OP was "hinting" at his salary being lower than his cap hit being important.

Me, I don't think it's realistic at all for us to even consider aquiring Suter or Weber. Do I WANT to see them in O&B, you bet your ass I do but I really don't think there's much reason to waste time talking about it now.
Exactly. We aren't getting Weber anytime soon, and probably can't afford Suter either.

Let's keep it moving....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
flountown

As much as I would love to have him here, think Pronger trade or more in terms of value, this is all conditional upon him signing an extension, a 1 year rental obviously affects how an offer would be put together.

Not that I would want to trade Schenn or Couturier, but similar to last off season, we have a crap ton of center depth.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:58 PM
rban*

I dont understand why no one is mentioning that Flyers are dead without landing Weber or Suter. Prongs and Timo are old and will be injury ridden. One of those Preds is a MUST for this team

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Perhaps, but it might take an extremely large crowbar to pry him out of Nashville.

Old
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Imagine if we drafted a damn good d-man in 2012 and he was in our starting line up... man... that would be nice. I know Weber is a pipe dream for any team, but just a thought...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Imagine if we drafted a damn good d-man in 2012 and he was in our starting line up... man... that would be nice. I know Weber is a pipe dream for any team, but just a thought...

Just imagine if we had dug our feet in the ground and DEMANDED Weber straight up for Forsberg back in 07. As opposed to demanding their top defensive prospect we settled on their 2nd best defensive prospect (which we gave back to them later on for what amounted to a 3rd rnd pick), a 3rd line roster player (which we gave away along with a 2nd rnd pick for a lesser player that we later let walk for nothing just 2 years later), a 1st rnd pick (which we later gave back to them) and a 3rd rnd pick (which hasn't amounted to anything).

We SHOULD have just told them "give us Shea Weber and we'll call it even, we don't want a roster forward, a 1st and a 3rd rnd pick too, just Weber. It's him or we go with the Kings offer." They PROBABLY would have done it as Parent was still a highly regarded prospect (though not nearly as high as Weber) and they get to keep Upshall and their 1st too.

Old
11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Just imagine if we had dug our feet in the ground and DEMANDED Weber straight up for Forsberg back in 07. As opposed to demanding their top defensive prospect we settled on their 2nd best defensive prospect (which we gave back to them later on for what amounted to a 3rd rnd pick), a 3rd line roster player (which we gave away along with a 2nd rnd pick for a lesser player that we later let walk for nothing just 2 years later), a 1st rnd pick (which we later gave back to them) and a 3rd rnd pick (which hasn't amounted to anything).

We SHOULD have just told them "give us Shea Weber and we'll call it even, we don't want a roster forward, a 1st and a 3rd rnd pick too, just Weber. It's him or we go with the Kings offer." They PROBABLY would have done it as Parent was still a highly regarded prospect (though not nearly as high as Weber) and they get to keep Upshall and their 1st too.
There is no way Nashville would have done that, as Weber was already a key member of their defense during the 2006/07 season in only his second year (after only playing 28 NHL games the year before). They were loading up for a playoff run so they wouldn't be inclined to move a important contributing player. They undoubtedly only were interesting in moving players that didn't effect their current roster (Parent was still in junior and Upshall had only played 14 games for them during that season).

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:20 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
achdumeingute, you think Weber will be availble as UFA?

Weber is the closest player to Scott Stevens. Some lucky team will trade for him before he becomes UFA. That is if Preds are dumb enough to let him go.
Weber will become an UFA if he wants to (ie wants to leave NSH). Thats the only way it happens. NSH is going to pay him. If they are going to pay him, and he's going to sign, then why on earth would they trade him! THE ONLY scenario we (the rest of the NHL) can hope for is that he wants out Kyle Turris style. NSH is in it this year, they own his rights for next year, he's not Turrising, WHY would they trade him this season????

Weber has all the control...prime example...Hamhuis, he wanted to play for VAN, we offered him good money, PIT offered him good money, but he wanted VAN.

Weber might hit 8m on the open market, if he wants to push the issue to get there.

I personally think that about 99% he stays in NSH.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
It's going to depend on whether Timonen feels like moving, too.
Kimmo is a good solder just like Kapanen was. Or Homer can do what he did with Gagne.