HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Elbow Pad recomendations

Old
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
DougKnowsBest

vCash: 500
Elbow Pad recomendations

I didnt see any other elbow pad threads. sorry if i missed it

i have the baurer vapor :x30.. the velcro flaps all flap around, drives my crazy pregame. Im looking to get a nicer pair. Protection is obviously primary concern, , but the particular thing im looking for is a pad that over use maintains its quality and the straps stay completely flat not getting tangled up on jersey sleeves.

does anyone have anything paticulalry positive or negative about any of these. Im not in love with any paticular brand.

baurer vapor x:40

CCM U+ Fit 09 LE Sr. Elbow Pads

Easton Synergy EQ50 Sr. Elbow Pads

those are all around $50.. im not sure if going to the 65 to 75 range is worth the money for what im doing... im fine with the padding, its just the damn straps..

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like the Easton elbow pads the best but if you can find some old pro stock RBK/Jofa pads snatch them up in a heartbeat.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Stickmata

I've tried them all and my favorites are the CCMs. I find them to be the best combination of comfort/movement and protection.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
i have the warrior hitmen ones and they are awesome...............for 5 games then they start deteriorating at a rapid rate and now look like a rat ate them.

i will be scanning this thread as well for suggestions

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping Warrior's protective would be the closest to pro stock Reebok. I can't stand retail pads from Reebok or Bauer.

CCM is supposed to have a new line coming out with more padding on the outside, NHL spec. That would be worth keeping an eye on.

Old
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

the warrior fit is awesome, the durability is horrid, however i have had warrior shin pads that were awesome.................................until my wife ran them over with her SUV lolz

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:26 AM
DougKnowsBest

i ended up getting the Easton Synergy EQ50. it seems to have the biggest fastening areas in the picture

thanks for the input guys... what it confirmed to me was dont get the baurer pads

Old
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
AIREAYE

You opened this thread for suggestions only to close it down 12 hours later with a purchase? Could've waited for more suggestions maybe.

Were your straps too long on the X:30? That could be what causes the loose tangling. You could fold in the straps and stitch them together to shorten them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I bought the Bauer Pro's a couple of months ago. Great protection but I'm between sizes in elbow pads. I tried on all the brands and I just cannot find one that fits me just right. They're either a little too small or a little too big.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have the Warrior Projekt elbow pads. I got them b/c the Hustler ones I originally bought started to fall apart after just a few games. When I told Warrior about it they sent me the Projekt ones as a good faith replacement. I have not put on an elbow pad that feels better than these, but durability is still an issue. The strap that goes across the forearm (what they call the sling wrap) started to come apart almost right away on both sets of pads. That all being said after the initial damage the strap stopped coming apart and they have been fine since. I thought at first it would just keep getting worse until they were unusable, but I have been using them for about a year now adn there is no further damage.

So I would say that they are the most comfortable elbow pads out there but durability still seems to be an issue.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I bought and returned a pair of Projekt pads two weeks ago. They were like not having elbow pads at all but slash protection is terrible. Stuck with my JOFA's.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:11 PM
AIREAYE

FYI Warrior pads fit a size smaller than normal so if you're into Mediums in other brands, best look at Smalls in Warrior and so on.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:27 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I bought and returned a pair of Projekt pads two weeks ago. They were like not having elbow pads at all but slash protection is terrible. Stuck with my JOFA's.
Yeah the protection is pretty light everywhere but the elbow. I must just be way tougher than you. <--- and to prove how tough I am I use the wink face.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't doubt it, haha. Actually I'm broke and I saw them on clearance for ~$35 or so but couldn't justify them. I thought about having a second set of gear for lighter play but it didn't make sense.

Old
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You opened this thread for suggestions only to close it down 12 hours later with a purchase? Could've waited for more suggestions maybe.

Were your straps too long on the X:30? That could be what causes the loose tangling. You could fold in the straps and stitch them together to shorten them.

yeah i got kinda antsy. i wanted to get them ordered so i had a chance of having them for the next game. ive been looking at them for a couple weeks

the ends of the straps have started curling up. so they are getting caught up in the jersey sleeve. i couldnt ever get it to feel real snug, they are just kind of on. its just the one piece of equipment right now that doesnt feel right

plus the more i looked at the eastons i just liked them more and more