HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neal - Staal - Malkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
  #76
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
And one last point, since everybody loves statistics, who is among the leading goal-scorers in the NHL so far this season? Winger James Neal. Who is his CENTER? Evgeni Malkin.

He's doing his job. Maybe not to the liking of some, but he's doing his job.
And of his 11 goals 5 were scored without Geno in the lineup. Odd

The line of this thread is also Neal-Staal-Malkin, so Neal would still be with Malkin.


Last edited by JTG: 11-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
  #77
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And of his 11 goals 5 were scored without Geno in the lineup. Odd

The line of this thread is also Neal-Staal-Malkin, so Neal would still be with Malkin.
And my point is Neal doesn't need a new C, he's doing just fine with the one he has now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
  #78
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
And my point is Neal doesn't need a new C, he's doing just fine with the one he has now.
And my point is, who is centering Neal hasn't mattered. It especially won't matter when the guy he's centered by right now would still be on his line in this scenario.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:05 AM
  #79
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And my point is, who is centering Neal hasn't mattered. It especially won't matter when the guy he's centered by right now would still be on his line in this scenario.
In Bylsma's system, does it even really matter who's playing center or wing in the offensive zone anyway?

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
  #80
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
In Bylsma's system, does it even really matter who's playing center or wing in the offensive zone anyway?
No. That's not just Bylsma's system. That's hockey in general. You're never taught "well you're a center...you go here in the offensive zone." You're taught, 1st in is on the puck, 2nd supports the puck, 3rd goes to the net, or where ever the system dictates.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
  #81
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
No. That's not just Bylsma's system. That's hockey in general. You're never taught "well you're a center...you go here in the offensive zone." You're taught, 1st in is on the puck, 2nd supports the puck, 3rd goes to the net, or where ever the system dictates.
Yeah that's what I've always thought, but I've never actually played hockey myself (I wish I started when I was a kid).

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
  #82
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,133
vCash: 500
Strength and balance wise, I don't think Neal-Staal-Malkin is enough of a benefit to warrant full time over Sully-Malkin-Neal and Cooke-Staal-Kennedy.

The 3C model is just too much for teams to handle especially with Staal doing well.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
  #83
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Yeah that's what I've always thought, but I've never actually played hockey myself (I wish I started when I was a kid).
Never too late to start, man.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
  #84
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Never too late to start, man.
I know, but money and a job are the limiting factors now. Plus I'd have to learn how to skate a little better than I currently do.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:28 PM
  #85
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,674
vCash: 500
These days, I won't play for months at a time. I'll play once, and I then want to play every single day. Then one day, I won't want to do it anymore.

Very weird relationship I have with the sport.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
  #86
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
And my point is Neal doesn't need a new C, he's doing just fine with the one he has now.
Yep b/c Geno can't set him up from the wing position. Geno will be first in the offensive zone nearly every time in that scenario, running the show as always.

If DB ends up going with Kunitz-Sid-Neal, I absolutely want Staal playing with Geno a fair amount every game. They have proven chemistry and we'll get a significant amount more offense from Staal. Our bottom six is more than capable defensively without Staal for a few shifts. With our injuries over the past couple seasons, we should be more comfortable than ever before with our role players.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
  #87
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,044
vCash: 500
Bylsma had lines in mind in camp. Stuff has happened since then. Like the Malkin line is clicking offensively. Neal is among the league leaders in goals. Why would you want to mess with that? I'm not saying that line should be etched in stone but at least keep it together for a while after Crosby and Kennedy return to see if you can find three balanced lines. That should always be the goal.

And why is Neal-Staal-Malkin better than Sullivan-Malkin-Neal, if it saves Staal for a third scoring line? Vitale can't play the third-line C role and Park is already starting to slow down. Jeffrey is still hurting.

This argument is silly.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
  #88
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,075
vCash: 500
But sometimes, Jags, you need to figure out how to overload the offense, especially against other stiffling defensive squads. There's no point in waiting until 1 minute left in an elimination game to see if that works. This is why I'm always in favor of keeping the flexibility to switch Staal and Malkin around as necessary.

I just don't get this absolute fear of change that so much of this board has. Why wouldn't you want to mess with your roster at this point in the season to see if, maybe, you can improve? The playoff race isn't the time to tinker with the roster unless you absolutely must.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
  #89
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
But sometimes, Jags, you need to figure out how to overload the offense, especially against other stiffling defensive squads. There's no point in waiting until 1 minute left in an elimination game to see if that works. This is why I'm always in favor of keeping the flexibility to switch Staal and Malkin around as necessary.

I just don't get this absolute fear of change that so much of this board has. Why wouldn't you want to mess with your roster at this point in the season to see if, maybe, you can improve? The playoff race isn't the time to tinker with the roster unless you absolutely must.
Nobody has ever suggested we shouldn't use Staal and Malkin together when necessary in-game, just like nobody suggests we shouldn't load up and place Malkin with Crosby when need be.

We're not talking about that. We're talking about the set lines on a typical day. People don't want Staal on the third line because they fear he is somewhat wasted offensively there. Well, that's not as wasted as Malkin on the wing. Dude is a C, he wants to play C, he is at his best at C, he's a top playmaker in this league as a C. And Staal has been producing offense from the third line since he entered the league. That won't change when Crosby returns. Staal is just getting better and better, and he has a good two-way line to work with so five-on-five his line can also dominate some games.

I'm not resistant to change, but Evgeni Malkin's a center. And we don't have winger issues anymore, so this whole argument is so retro I don't understand why we're still having it.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
  #90
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Bylsma had lines in mind in camp. Stuff has happened since then. Like the Malkin line is clicking offensively. Neal is among the league leaders in goals. Why would you want to mess with that? I'm not saying that line should be etched in stone but at least keep it together for a while after Crosby and Kennedy return to see if you can find three balanced lines. That should always be the goal.

And why is Neal-Staal-Malkin better than Sullivan-Malkin-Neal, if it saves Staal for a third scoring line? Vitale can't play the third-line C role and Park is already starting to slow down. Jeffrey is still hurting.

This argument is silly.
We haven't needed the 3C model to win a game in a long long time. I think we can afford to experiment with Staal moving up. See how it goes and go with what works best against a specific matchup in the postseason.

Vitale had a great game against Carolina. Him and Tangradi were nasty together on the cycle in the third period. I honestly hope Sully takes tonight off so we can see them again.

Surrounding Sid/Geno with our best offensive weapons is the most appropriate avenue sometimes just as it's more appropriate to roll the 3C model other times.

I feel like the average age on this forum is 85. Change is good folks. Unpredictability is even better.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
  #91
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We haven't needed the 3C model to win a game in a long long time. I think we can afford to experiment with Staal moving up. See how it goes and go with what works best against a specific matchup in the postseason.

Vitale had a great game against Carolina. Him and Tangradi were nasty together on the cycle in the third period. I honestly hope Sully takes tonight off so we can see them again.

Surrounding Sid/Geno with our best offensive weapons is the most appropriate avenue sometimes just as it's more appropriate to roll the 3C model other times.

I feel like the average age on this forum is 85. Change is good folks. Unpredictability is even better.
Seriously... I mean what are we playing with now? What were we playing with for half of last season?

Our record and level of play have certainly been pretty high. The even strength scoring needs improved, but Crosby is awesome at even strength, and bringing him back makes it easier on Malkin's line to produce offense as well.

I like the 3C lineup, but it's not like the Staalkin lineup doesn't have it's benefits.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
  #92
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We haven't needed the 3C model to win a game in a long long time. I think we can afford to experiment with Staal moving up. See how it goes and go with what works best against a specific matchup in the postseason.

Vitale had a great game against Carolina. Him and Tangradi were nasty together on the cycle in the third period. I honestly hope Sully takes tonight off so we can see them again.

Surrounding Sid/Geno with our best offensive weapons is the most appropriate avenue sometimes just as it's more appropriate to roll the 3C model other times.

I feel like the average age on this forum is 85. Change is good folks. Unpredictability is even better.
1. When was the last time we were in the SCF?

2. I second that!

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
  #93
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
1. When was the last time we were in the SCF?
I'll be bold, we can win a Stanely Cup with Sid/Neal and Staal/Geno as the main cogs in our top 6. This is a much different team than the one we iced in June of 09. Far better defensively. A bottom six of Cooke/Kennedy/Dupuis/Adams/Vitale/Asham/Jeffrey is the envy of the league. I'd look into picking up a playoff proven 3C at the deadline who can shift over to wing when we do roll the 3C model.

Try it now and see where we're at come playoffs. I just want to see Staal/Malkin for a stretch of games so everyone can see Malkin is the same player on wing in that scenario. He's the puck carrier and he runs the show in the offensive zone. It's obviously different than when we go with the two headed monster. Geno is going to look less active b/c he's not the only game breaking puck carrier on the ice. He's looking to get open and be the shooter.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.