Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Playoffs and a premier defenseman from the 2012 draft? Color me intrigued.
While I think Galchenyuk stays top 10 after his injury (see Connolly, Brett) I think Rielly's somewhat shakier ranking, combined with just how many "big name" defensemen are in this draft will push him down to the late teens. That said, if a team like Edmonton is picking around 10-12, they might make the risk/reward pick for Rielly because of their lack of a true potential #1 prospect, and dearth of high end NHL defensemen.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

It all depends on who rises and falls and who picks who, where. It wouldn't be out of line to think there will be a quality, NHL-ready D who wasn't injured all of last (this) year for Eddy to pick up.

I guess I just see Eddy taking the safer route at this stage and would take a Nino over a Connolly, so to speak.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Say we pick in the 20ish range, I doubt we'll get our hands in Ebert/Dumba/Rielly etc etc.

Guys more realistically are defensemen like Olli Maata, Gianluca Cucuruto and Jordan Schmatlz.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:41 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Say we pick in the 20ish range, I doubt we'll get our hands in Ebert/Dumba/Rielly etc etc.

Guys more realistically are defensemen like Olli Maata, Gianluca Cucuruto and Jordan Schmatlz.
I don't expect an Ebert/Dumba/Murray, but I really think Rielly's going to plummet down boards. FC had him at 8, and I think he has a good chance to fall 10 spots. Of course, it's early, and they have Grigorenko at 7 (I think he's probably top 3) so no one really knows.

I'm also projecting a bit because this far out, it seems that rankings are heavily biased towards North American league players, especially those in the CHL. I'd guess a Pokka or Bystrom will sneak up the board like Brodin did last draft. Galchenyuk's injury will probably drag at least one 6-10 draftee into the top 5, which could domino into another faller like Couturier or Fowler.

I expect the Wild to be drafting in the 12th-18th range anyway, and would be a lot less concerned about the draft if we managed to be picking in the 20s.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Added new link (Button's Top 60 (November))

Old
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Hmm...

We need more defense. We like Fins. We will probably (hopefully) be drafting 15-20. Sounds like Maata could have the pole position at the moment.

Just think of what we could do for international relations, having a Brodin - Maata 1st pairing.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Up7Yours

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Hmm...

We need more defense. We like Fins. We will probably (hopefully) be drafting 15-20. Sounds like Maata could have the pole position at the moment.

Just think of what we could do for international relations, having a Brodin - Maata 1st pairing.
I'd be in for an offensive minded D, if Zidlicky is on his way out and Brodin, Scandella are more defensive. Maatta is another 2-way D.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I actually looked through the link I added now: Button has Ebert all the way down at 37. I've seen others have him as high as the top 10. Also, he's almost slid Murray out of the top 10. If movements like that keep up, one or both of them could be available in the 14-24 range I expect the Wild to pick in.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I actually looked through the link I added now: Button has Ebert all the way down at 37. I've seen others have him as high as the top 10. Also, he's almost slid Murray out of the top 10. If movements like that keep up, one or both of them could be available in the 14-24 range I expect the Wild to pick in.
No way in hell this happens in real life. I wish.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
No way in hell this happens in real life. I wish.
Well Murray is still injured for another 3 weeks or so. He's also playing for an absolutely terrible team and there's a lot of other players rising on the charts so you never know. I got the feeling that Button had a lot of forwards moving up the ranks as well though.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
nickschultzfan

Got to go another Dman with the 1st pick. We have a lot of young D, but most are #4-6 guys. As for high-end talent, we have Scandella (who now has his second concussion in as many years) and Brodin.

Best strategy is to go after a UFA Dman like Suter (or even Weber), and then grab the best Dman for 4-5 years down the road.

Chuck and co seem to be good at grabbing quality forwards in the mid-rounds.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
forthewild

I expect this upcoming draft to be d heavy for wild, one name that intrigues me is cody corbett, he went to play in whl after the elite seasob ended in mn, could be a food 2nd rounder.

I also wouldt mind picking a two way guy and not just an offensive dynamo, imo i would rather have a guy capable of playing all three zones then someone who puts up numbers

Old
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

It's really frustrating not having a second round pick. We didn't get to enjoy speculating about our second first round pick last season so I feel like we've been screwed out of the fun.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

A more in depth look at some of the things from the Button list from a poster claiming to be a scout who has had conversations with Button about it: link

Here's the excerpt on Ebert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyprospect
Ebert: Don't be surprised if he slips more. He dropped to #30 for us and is barely hanging on. There are multiple reasons.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:50 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
It's really frustrating not having a second round pick. We didn't get to enjoy speculating about our second first round pick last season so I feel like we've been screwed out of the fun.
I am too, but I loved that we had a 1st last year. Phillips is looking to be very good.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I am too, but I loved that we had a 1st last year. Phillips is looking to be very good.
I love the pick, I just didn't get to take any of the enjoyment out of the build up to the draft. I knew enough about the late first round that once we had it I was actually counting down and hoping no one grabbed Phillips before we could. But there was no months of lead up on "how are we going to use this pick? Should we go forward? Defense? Risky top 6er or lower ceiling utility player?"

Old
11-16-2011, 09:32 AM
mnwildgophers

Yeah I hear ya, I think it gets forgot a lot that we did give up a 2nd with Burns. So we did add 3 1st round picks, but we did have to give up a 2nd. It will probably be mid-round so about 45. We got Seto, Coyle, and #28 overall for #45ish and Burns. I guess we just won't know until Coyle and Phillips make it, either way, we did what we had to do IMO.

This upcoming year, I wouldn't be surprised if we try to get back into the 2nd round like the last few years. I wonder if we will be trading our picks for players since we are losing defensemen like flies. I'd be much more in favor of trading a prospect (such as Haula) for a depth defenseman.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:33 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

With the latest rankings by some not having A.J. Michaelson in sight, I hope the Wild can draft him in the mid-late rounds...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Added the ISS Top 30 (November) link.

A couple high points on it:

Ebert is back in a more moderate spot - 22nd

Galchenyuk is all the way down at 17.

Rielly's clinging to the 10 spot.

Murray's in the top 5 on this list.

That's about it...oh and no biggie...Yakupov is at 2 with Grigorenko slotted in above him...

Old
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

To continue spamming this thread, what do people think about Slater Koekkoek? ISS has him ranked 7, but Button has him ranked 25. Resident WHL guy Renegade Stylings thinks the average of those two is more accurate, putting him behind a similar player in Rielly, who's a guy I'd love to drop to us.

Link

Old
11-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I don't expect an Ebert/Dumba/Murray, but I really think Rielly's going to plummet down boards. FC had him at 8, and I think he has a good chance to fall 10 spots. Of course, it's early, and they have Grigorenko at 7 (I think he's probably top 3) so no one really knows.

I'm also projecting a bit because this far out, it seems that rankings are heavily biased towards North American league players, especially those in the CHL. I'd guess a Pokka or Bystrom will sneak up the board like Brodin did last draft. Galchenyuk's injury will probably drag at least one 6-10 draftee into the top 5, which could domino into another faller like Couturier or Fowler.

I expect the Wild to be drafting in the 12th-18th range anyway, and would be a lot less concerned about the draft if we managed to be picking in the 20s.
I haven't heard many great things about Pokka so I doubt it.

And Brodin never snuck up the draft, he was always considered a top 10 talent, we just never knew anything about him...

Old
11-17-2011, 08:10 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I haven't heard many great things about Pokka so I doubt it.

And Brodin never snuck up the draft, he was always considered a top 10 talent, we just never knew anything about him...
Considered top 10 by whom? ISS had him at 19 in May, which is highly amusing because they had his d-partner Klefbom at 10, and Brodin ended up 10th with Klefbom 19th. Button had Brodin at 10 on June 8, but just two weeks before that had him at 15th.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Considered top 10 by whom? ISS had him at 19 in May, which is highly amusing because they had his d-partner Klefbom at 10, and Brodin ended up 10th with Klefbom 19th. Button had Brodin at 10 on June 8, but just two weeks before that had him at 15th.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36559

I put much more weight on McKenzie's scout survey than any scouting services out there. He knows what the NHL scouts are thinking and they're the ones with the picks, services are just 3rd party services.

They are still good, but I just put more weight on a survey done by NHL teams (the ones picking) than opinions by 3rd party people

EDIT: I never take Button's seriously, his thoughts are everywhere...disagreed heavily with Puempel rated high at #14 over players like Scheifele and Beaulieu over Hamilton.

2 x EDIT: That survey was done in January.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 11-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36559

I put much more weight on McKenzie's scout survey than any scouting services out there. He knows what the NHL scouts are thinking and they're the ones with the picks, services are just 3rd party services.

They are still good, but I just put more weight on a survey done by NHL teams (the ones picking) than opinions by 3rd party people
I see, McKenzie had him up there in January, but back in September he didn't have him in the top 15 at all. I think we're disputing semantics mostly though as what I meant was that in the fall, non-NA players like Brodin tend to be further down the list than they end up in June.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I see, McKenzie had him up there in January, but back in September he didn't have him in the top 15 at all. I think we're disputing semantics mostly though as what I meant was that in the fall, non-NA players like Brodin tend to be further down the list than they end up in June.
Thats what I meant as well lol.

He was a top 10 prospect, just none of us even knew his name...I think most of us had to scramble for info when he was selected

Closed Thread