HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan calls Sabres “completely irresponsible”

Old
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
What player on the roster has handled Lucic in a fight?
Cody took out his frustrations using his head on Lucy's fists.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Cody was also at the end of his shift. He's definitely not a good enough scrapper to get a definative win or anything, but he'd hold his own against Lucic. Hell, Mair did.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:53 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Why the head shake? He's right. And using your head would tell you that the term "doesn't buy" it is not meant to be taken literally. Reading too far into things can make you irrational.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

ugh...this sucks talking about but I'd love to hear Don Cherry's thoughts on how to react...(if we don't know.)

As much as I'd love to "chop" Chara down, I know that is not realistic and let's just say extremely unethical, because the truth of the matter is that Luici didn't intend to hurt Miller. He plays a tough game and Miller was out of his crease and was sort of fair game...I'm just giving him 1% here with "fair game." He should of, and could of missed Miller bul didn't...but again, his role on the Bruins is doing just what he did.

My retaliation would be the Kaleta hit on Chara, every chance you get to finish a check, finish it.

BUT.....

Look for the open ice hit. I'm talking about Campbell against the Flyers. Legally, lay 'em out. I'd love to see Vanek do it. Head down, Horton comes across the ice looking for the pass and Vanek shoulder to shoulder lays him out....just not the delayed second like Horton got hit in the Cup finals last year.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380468

Quote:
A strong message should be been sent throughout the hockey community with the assessment of a two (2) game suspension to Milan Lucic through supplementary discipline. Players (and more importantly goalies) would know that the League still considers them endangered and will continue to protect them from full blown body checks. It now appears that hunting season is now open. The license only takes "two minutes" to fill out and can be completed from the penalty box.
I guess Sedin & Fraser are irresponsible, too....

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 11-15-2011 at 11:25 AM.
WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
ugh...this sucks talking about but I'd love to hear Don Cherry's thoughts on how to react...(if we don't know.)

As much as I'd love to "chop" Chara down, I know that is not realistic and let's just say extremely unethical, because the truth of the matter is that Luici didn't intend to hurt Miller. He plays a tough game and Miller was out of his crease and was sort of fair game...I'm just giving him 1% here with "fair game." He should of, and could of missed Miller bul didn't...but again, his role on the Bruins is doing just what he did.

My retaliation would be the Kaleta hit on Chara, every chance you get to finish a check, finish it.

BUT.....

Look for the open ice hit. I'm talking about Campbell against the Flyers. Legally, lay 'em out. I'd love to see Vanek do it. Head down, Horton comes across the ice looking for the pass and Vanek shoulder to shoulder lays him out....just not the delayed second like Horton got hit in the Cup finals last year.
No, no, no. He was not fair game, even 1%. It's very clear.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I guess Sedin & Fraser are irresponsible, too....

Yeah, it's a shame Shanahan commented on the situation beyond his discipline rulings. Getting involved in the media like that tells me two things:
  1. The pressure is getting to him, and
  2. He realizes that his decision has not adequately settled the matter going into the future

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Alex Burrows of all people had this comment:

Quote:
"I'm really surprised and even more confused," Canucks winger Alex Burrows said after the ruling. "I've been trying to figure it out and I don't know if goalies are in play now if they're out of their crease. This might set a precedent. Shanahan played the game and he probably knew that he [Lucic] had time to move and growing up you learn you can't really hit the goalies. I would have dove at the puck or have tried to get out of the way.

"I thought there would be repercussions. We're concerned. I thought we were trying to get those kind of hits out of this league and now it might be back to old-time hockey. The next thing you know, you might have a line brawl or a bench clearing."
More quotes from the Sedins as well. Interesting commentary coming out of both the Montreal and Vancouver press corps.

11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Really?
Because I am of the exact opposite mind set. I want the Sabres to call up some weight, and go out there and just nail everybody, including and especially the Boston netminder. I want them to hit the Bruins goalie over and over and over again as hard as they can.
Hey, they're only going to get 2 minutes for it, so what's the big deal....
That reminds me of the first week that I had one of the NHL games for the playstation. You could check goalies and knock them over and I spent the better part of a game trying to figure out if goalies could be injured. Eventually I was defending 5 on 3's and still skating in to Lucic a goalie.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Yeah, it's a shame Shanahan commented on the situation beyond his discipline rulings. Getting involved in the media like that tells me two things:
  1. The pressure is getting to him, and
  2. He realizes that his decision has not adequately settled the matter going into the future
Exactly. Shanahan just "lost" it.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Not calling for Lucic to be stoned, but discipline (any at all) would go a long way.

11-15-2011, 02:09 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

It wouldn't shock me if shanahan was Lucic's favorite player growing up.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Catamarca Livin

The irresponsible comment was Shanahan's who said the right call was made on the ice, it was a minor penalty.
That means as Lindy Ruff said
Bodychecking goalie is minor penalty
So you can choose to hit the goalie as long as you are willing to kill a minor penalty.
If they called a major penalty on the ice, no problem. Given no 5 minute penalty and knowing an injury resulted Shanahan should have responded.
He responded saying that it is not open season and warned against players hitting goalies, he had the power to stop it and didn't.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
The irresponsible comment was Shanahan's who said the right call was made on the ice, it was a minor penalty.
That means as Lindy Ruff said
Bodychecking goalie is minor penalty
So you can choose to hit the goalie as long as you are willing to kill a minor penalty.
If they called a major penalty on the ice, no problem. Given no 5 minute penalty and knowing an injury resulted Shanahan should have responded.
He responded saying that it is not open season and warned against players hitting goalies, he had the power to stop it and didn't.
That is exactly right.

You almost NEVER expect a suspension from a play that results in a 2-minute minor.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Ray Shero, who put together a team just as tough as Boston's, is also in our corner.

If you get into a playoff series and these guys are going to play pucks and you run (goalies) over and get a two-minute penalty, I think you’re going to open up a set of pretty dangerous circumstances,” Shero said, as per NHL.com.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-at-meetings/

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:21 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Just curious, has any player, coach, ex-player, etc..come out and justified Lucic andhis actions or Shanahan in his ruling (other than those with a self interest...ie...Julien)?

I did not hear what the versus crew said last night.

Kevin Weekes made it quite clear that if he were Shanny, "Lucic would not be playing, and I'll leave it at that".

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Any ideas as to which Bruin is Shanny's kid? Marchand maybe looks like a cross between Brandan and a marmot?

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Just curious, has any player, coach, ex-player, etc..come out and justified Lucic andhis actions or Shanahan in his ruling (other than those with a self interest...ie...Julien)?

I did not hear what the versus crew said last night.

Kevin Weekes made it quite clear that if he were Shanny, "Lucic would not be playing, and I'll leave it at that".
Almost everyone I've seen that's taken Shanahan's side hasn't known the rule that goalies are not fair game just because they leave the crease. (Bowness in the article Chain linked to and MacLean last night)

Which is kind of sad in it's own way, since they're commenting on a situation that they don't even know the relevant rules on, but that's a whole 'nother discussion regarding the media.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Lucic Canadian. Miller American. Do the math.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Right now, more than ever, I want the Sabres to embarrass Shanahan so badly he won't show his face in public ever again-never mind on those oh so helpful videos he shows explaining why such and such person is getting suspended.

Unless, of course, you're a Boston Bruin. Then you get a "get out of trouble free" card.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:24 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Great, so the proof is in the pudding, always be first if you're gonna break the rules. Now the Sabres can't take an opportunistic last line change at home on the 23rd when Seguin and other squishy players are out there to put out heavies and pummel the hell out of them or Shanahan will suspend half the team for "retaliating." Typical.
Right now, I don't care if half the team gets suspended. Or if Boston gets 20 power plays in that game. I want Buffalo to send two messages loud and clear to the rest of the league...so loud in fact that it bursts Shanny's eardrums: Since you won't help us, we're taking matters into our own hands. Good luck cleaning up the mess YOU created. That's message #1. Number 2: You go after our stars. We go after yours.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:38 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Lucic Canadian. Miller American. Do the math.
both GOOD NORTH AMERICAN BOYS if ya ask me

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:07 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
both GOOD NORTH AMERICAN BOYS if ya ask me

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Right now, I don't care if half the team gets suspended. Or if Boston gets 20 power plays in that game. I want Buffalo to send two messages loud and clear to the rest of the league...so loud in fact that it bursts Shanny's eardrums: Since you won't help us, we're taking matters into our own hands. Good luck cleaning up the mess YOU created. That's message #1. Number 2: You go after our stars. We go after yours.
It's not going to happen. You'll see a couple good, old-fashioned fights, but there's no way the Sabres go in looking for a line brawl or to run Thomas. They'll "settle" it with a few bouts with the offender, which Lucic will probably win, and you'll have to accept that. The Sabres don't have the muscle to pull an Islanders/Penguins fiasco and live. They're also 11-6 and not about to get guys suspended for belting Thomas.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Unknown too them, my friend was fixing a computer in the adjacent office and he recorded the hearing with his phone!! Here is a transcript:

Lucic: "Hi Shanny, thanks for seeing me about this very important situation. I admire you as a leader, and it's no secret that I have modeled my career after you as well. Is that a new suit? SHARP!"

Shanahan: "Why yes, yes it is? Do you think it makes me look thin!?"

Lucic: "Playing weight thin. Are you still playing? I'm glad you're not in the NHL, I would be terrified to fight you!"

Shanahan: "Have a seat! As a matter of fact, I play a little hockey with the kids from time to time. So tell me, what happened out there?"

Lucic: "Well Mr. Shanahan..."

Shanahan: "Please, call me Brendan."

Lucic: "Really?! WOW! You see Mr. Sha...Brendan. I was trying to catch up to the puck and skating as hard as I could but it was just barely out of my reach. There was a lot of sweat in my eyes, because I was skating so hard that shift, and the last seen I seen was Miller skating straight at me! He skated into me and hurt my arm a little bit."

Shanahan: "You don't have to be coy, I know what you did out there. It's right here on film, what do think I am some kind of an idiot?!" I mean, LOOK at it! Nothing you said is accurate. You're a liar."

Lucic: "...I...but..I.."

Shanahan: *hardy laugh* "It's okay, it's okay, I'm just messing with ya. Zero games, and Team Canada wanted me to give you this lovely fruit basket. I really just called you here for that, and to buy you lunch. DO you like caviar?"

Lucic: "I sure do!".

Shanahan: "I'm glad, after all, Miller and the rest of the players I don't like are paying for it!".

*they both laugh*

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote