HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Primeau believes helmet device can cut down on concussions

Old
11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Primeau believes helmet device can cut down on concussions

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380444

Quote:
TORONTO -- Keith Primeau is hoping a little green light can help lessen the debilitating effects of concussions that he knows far too well.

The former NHLer, whose career was cut short by post-concussion syndrome in 2006, is helping promote the Impact Indicator, a device with a small light that's worn as part of a chin strap and measures the impact of a blow.

A green light is normal. A dangerous hit and the light will flash red.

"Everything to this point has been subjective, we go to the sideline and ask our coach or trainer or parent whether they feel we've suffered through a possible concussive event," said Primeau. "With this, as a coach, it would enable me to remove a player from competition, to err on the side of caution, to see if in fact (a concussion) was the case."
If this isn't deserving of it's own thread feel free to move it. I don't know how well this wouldwork in professional leagues, but I think for 18 & under leagues, this is a great idea.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Yes to this.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

I am so friggin' sick of Primeau whining about his concussions.

Everyone in the world knew he was playing after suffering multiple concussions during that last playoff run. Then he got dinged again and kept playing. We talked about it at the time - why is Primeau still playing?

I'm sure the team supported him, but he had to have known he was concussed - what else could explain the fact he was channeling Jean Beliveau during that run?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
This isn't about Primeau, it's about a good idea that could safeguard young athletes.

11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Everyone in the world knew he was playing after suffering multiple concussions during that last playoff run. Then he got dinged again and kept playing. We talked about it at the time - why is Primeau still playing?

I'm sure the team supported him, but he had to have known he was concussed - what else could explain the fact he was channeling Jean Beliveau during that run?
Someone has a bug up their ass

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I don't know if it has been talked about on here, but after the series of hits to the head and the following concussions in Sweden, scientists are working on a new sort of interior that is like the horse riders helmets. With an interior that can slide around, just like the brain does when the head get hit

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

This might be the worst post ever.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
mirimon

Sounds like a neat idea if it works.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:32 PM
DickTony

Quote:

Wow, talk about an ignorant post...

Obviously there isn't much he can do about his own concussion history at this point, but considering how relevant the issue is to the game in 2011 why should Primeau NOT be an advocate for awareness and prevention? He clearly has some knowledge in that regard...

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I don't know if it has been talked about on here, but after the series of hits to the head and the following concussions in Sweden, scientists are working on a new sort of interior that is like the horse riders helmets. With an interior that can slide around, just like the brain does when the head get hit
I know there's been changes to the material inside the helmet over the years to help prevent concussions, it's cool they're looking into this material too. I've heard the M11 helmets are supposed to be built to help prevent concussions too. I tried one on a few months ago and when I need a new helmet I'll probably look to it.

http://themessierproject.com/the-technology.html

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
This might be the worst post ever.
I don't think you give neither Larry nor some of our other posters enough credit here. Just a few days ago puckbeaver, or whatever he's calling himself, had a post about how Lappy should stop complaining and get back on the ice. Something like that at least.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

If it works well, maybe they should consider this device.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:44 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Umm, wasnt it a dirty Perezhogin hit that put him out?

How dare he build on his personal experiences to help others in the future.

Also, this sounds like a decent way to take extra precaution with youngsters.

You are an idiot

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Umm, wasnt it a dirty Perezhogin hit that put him out?

How dare he build on his personal experiences to help others in the future.

Also, this sounds like a decent way to take extra precaution with youngsters.

You are an idiot
everyone knows keith primeau wasnt seein straight long before his concussions. Ever see his wife? yikes

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:47 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I read some guy in the hockey news letters section talkin about how the concussions are overblown and how they should just stop with the media coverage and continue on as always lettting the players police themselves. Way to sweep under the rug the speed and size differences between the last few decades. Anything that has been done so far (rule 41, the suspensions, equipment modifications) are just speed bumps toward evolution. This game is the most violent i've ever seen it. I've been watchin for 25 years and its just so much faster now that its harder to see. There's no way you can make a game like this SAFE, but you can at least try and make these guys play with more awareness. Thats all their really doin. There will always be violence, and where there is violence there is fighting. (which is good)

Old
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
everyone knows keith primeau wasnt seein straight long before his concussions. Ever see his wife? yikes
Love to see the model you have on your arm.

As for the idea, I guess it could help with post-medical work on the player himself, i'm all for anything that will prolong players careers.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I read some guy in the hockey news letters section talkin about how the concussions are overblown and how they should just stop with the media coverage and continue on as always lettting the players police themselves. Way to sweep under the rug the speed and size differences between the last few decades. Anything that has been done so far (rule 41, the suspensions, equipment modifications) are just speed bumps toward evolution. This game is the most violent i've ever seen it. I've been watchin for 25 years and its just so much faster now that its harder to see. There's no way you can make a game like this SAFE, but you can at least try and make these guys play with more awareness. Thats all their really doin. There will always be violence, and where there is violence there is fighting. (which is good)

I think they need to slow down the collisions in the game by stripping down the padding, or softening it. If players get more sensory feedback that hitting hurts, the number of violent collisions could be reduced and more brain tissue will be saved. Players are so well-armored today I think most of them feel like they could get shot out of a cannon.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:38 AM
MsWoof

So in the past couple of week's we've had Larry complain about Primeau's campaign against concussions, the gem about Mike Richards making the Olympic team so Stevie Y could babysit him, and another poster ripped Lappy for not coming back. It's like the National Inquirer of discussion boards!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:25 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

only the strong survive.

Last edited by funghoul: 11-16-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Love to see the model you have on your arm.

As for the idea, I guess it could help with post-medical work on the player himself, i'm all for anything that will prolong players careers.
Why I Oughtta

Old
11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
SgtJoseph

Its very sad to read that this wonderful sport is now coming to players wearing lights on their helmets all in the name of " safety" .If folks are so worried about safety, do not let little Johnny play hockey, or even skate for that matter.....One of the greatest joys in life is taking risk to achieve something,and life is quite dull when you live in fear of injury to a point you want all encompassing legislation to make you " feel" safe.....Hockey was a MUCH better game when players ' POLICED" themselves with enforcers, which dealt with players who took runs at other players in a very quick and efficient manner.....Liberals will end up destroying Hockey like they do every thing else in society that has " risk" involved. We are becoming a society of *******......My friend suffered a head injury in a auto crash, should helmets be mandatory now ?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-16-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Filter evasion
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

There's a difference between being a wuss and being smart.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:11 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's a difference between being a wuss and being smart.
Then perhaps the "smart" decision would be to not play hockey at all.Because hockey is a high speed,physical game, played on ice by players with sharp steel blades strapped to their feet.All kinds of " bad " things can happen to one playing this sport.Life itself is full of dangers, that's what makes it so exciting and interesting.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Then perhaps the "smart" decision would be to not play hockey at all.Because hockey is a high speed,physical game, played on ice by players with sharp steel blades strapped to their feet.All kinds of " bad " things can happen to one playing this sport.Life itself is full of dangers, that's what makes it so exciting and interesting.
Yeah, but you can still have fun and do fun things while being safe and minimizing the chance of life-long harm to yourself. These measures ensure that you can keep on doing those things.

edit: this light idea would have no impact on the danger, speed, or thrill of the game. However, they could potentially extend playing careers and prevent brain damage in kids or when they grow up. What exactly is wrong with that?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
DUHockey9

My only concern would be false positives with the device. I'm sure there are jarring hits, or other random occurrences that might set of the device, but may not necessarily result in a concussion.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote