HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Watching the Flyers Over the Internet

Old
11-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Watching the Flyers Over the Internet

Here's the thing... Just got a call from a friend who grew up in South Jersey and has been living in Brooklyn. He was interested in watching the Flyers up there... He doesn't have Cable and was interested in options.

I know there are unofficial sites on he 'Net where games are streamed... but I believe they move around and are not easy to keep up with... I know with MLB there is a package through MLB.com where you can purchase IIRC monthly and seasonal packages... I assumed the NHL had a similar deal and went to NHL.com to find it. What I found was not that but a confusing group of drop down menus for various things, but none that I can find that is like MLB's -- there are options for Android and IPhone and IPad and Viera TVs and LG TVs, etc. -- I could swear I read on HFBoards about such a service, and it may just be me, but damn if I can find the right spot.

Can anyone help to find a way for him to follow the Flyers... either through free streaming or a reasonable on-line package?

Also, he is interested in paying through a check rather than through Credit Cards... I know some services use PayPal or allow Electronic Checking, the pay service would have to have a payment option other than a Credit Card... I can pass on any URL to him.

Much thanks in advance.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

NHL Gamecenter live.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
NHL Gamecenter live.
NHL Gamecenter Live.

11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
NHL Gamecenter Live? You mean the program you guys are always *****ing about being down?

Stick to streams that are free.. Firstrowsports.tv is good

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Hmm. We are sorta on the line with site rules right now. We are allowed to post streams in threads, but having a thread discussing it is frowned upon. I urge everyone to PM their suggestions to the OP instead. That way he can get suggestions for his friend, and this won't need to be shut down, or something.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Free streams suck. Crap quality, bad reliability.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
orangecrush8

I don't know about anyone else, but I just got NHL Gamecenter this year and its great. I have had no issues with streams cutting in or out at all.

If I were to give advice, it would to definitely get Gamecentre. Sure you can get sometimes get streams for free, but a lot of the times they are terrible quality. I have lived on streams for a while to watch Flyers games and now that I have Gamecenter I dont know how I lived without it. Getting great quality streams, choice of commentators, being able to pause and rewind the game or even just start watching the game after it is scheduled to start more than makes up the cost in my eyes.

Plus it archives all games from the past 4 years for all teams so you can go back and watch any game. In addition, there are numerous archived classic games for all teams including games against the Russians, the two Cup clinching games, etc.

To me, its worth the purchase.

Here is the link

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
NHL Gamecenter live.
Thanks... That seems to be what I was looking for.

There are however a some things that I have a problem with:

1) They seem to only accept Credit Cards, even if the one payment option is selected.

2) It seems unfair to charge a full season cost... no matter when you subscribe.

3) I was thinking there might be a monthly option (at a more expensive cost over a complete season) where you can come and go as desired... I believed MLB has such.

4) There is no trial period to see if it is what you want/need... $169.00 payment and roll the dice.

5) Living in the NYC Metro Area without Cable I assume he would not get he Flyers games played against the Rangers, Isles and Devils... what is that something like 18 or 21 games all told?... Being a fan of an Atlantic Division team in that area is rough with local blackouts when you don't have cable.

... I'll pass on that website, but still hope for a better option for him to be posted here. Thanks again.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Really? Because I'm on a monthly option. It's something like 20 bucks a month and comes out as 2 bucks more for the season or something like that.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Really? Because I'm on a monthly option. It's something like 20 bucks a month and comes out as 2 bucks more for the season or something like that.
The website states $20.99 X8 (= 167.92) or a one time $169.00... BUT signing up is for a full season... a least that is what I got out of it.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The website states $20.99 X8 = 167.92 or one time $169.00... BUT signing up is for a full season... a least that is what I got out of it.
There's a Gamecenter sticky on the NHL Discussion board, people there might be able to give you solid answers about whether or not you have to do all 8 months.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Flyerfan4life

from what i remember its a full charge regardless of when you sign up and theres NO canceling..

even if you arent happy once you agree to sign up your on the hook for the full amount even if you try to cancel.

all in all this season has been marketably better then last with regards to gamecenter.. its not perfect but i def. see a BIg improvment over some of the issues i had last season..

i swear i wasnt gunna go with gamecenter again, but i caved, hahah...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
jmtznr0th

OP check your PMs.

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
OP check your PMs.
Thanks

Old
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Free streams suck. Crap quality, bad reliability.
then you arent using the right streams

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
jagrgodr

just adding my opinion here. Gamecenter Live is awesome, but i've had a few problems. Out of the 17 games, i would say there were 3-4 i couldn't watch because they were national broadcast games or they played my local team. Also there were 2 times i couldn't log in and watch most of the game.

Besides that.. it is absolutely amazing. I hate watching internet streams. Why is it so great? Basically, you have DVR 3000kbps streaming, you can pause, rewind and now do SLOW MOTION. After 48 hours you can watch any game this season, so if you miss a game and want to watch it it's available.

If you can afford $20 a month, i highly recommend it. I just want to be able to watch 80%+ of the flyers games. If you know your going to miss 20 atlantic games, and then you add in national games plus your local games, it could not be worth it because you could almost not watch 1/3 of the games.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
just adding my opinion here. Gamecenter Live is awesome, but i've had a few problems. Out of the 17 games, i would say there were 3-4 i couldn't watch because they were national broadcast games or they played my local team. Also there were 2 times i couldn't log in and watch most of the game.

Besides that.. it is absolutely amazing. I hate watching internet streams. Why is it so great? Basically, you have DVR 3000kbps streaming, you can pause, rewind and now do SLOW MOTION. After 48 hours you can watch any game this season, so if you miss a game and want to watch it it's available.

If you can afford $20 a month, i highly recommend it. I just want to be able to watch 80%+ of the flyers games. If you know your going to miss 20 atlantic games, and then you add in national games plus your local games, it could not be worth it because you could almost not watch 1/3 of the games.
Wasn't aware of National Games being blacked out... Since he doesn't have Cable, he will not be able to see Vs games, only NBC regular over the air National games... I'm assuming that the Vs games are considered National games.

The way I see it, living in the NYC Area with three NHL teams is a hardship for fans of other teams in the Atlantic... all NYC Area teams are in the same Division... There should be a special case made for those fans and the blackout should be lifted if they vouch for their allegiance to another Atlantic Division Team.

Thanks for that information.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
then you arent using the right streams
I agree ! I live in Florida and watch most Flyer's games on free streams that MSE and others list before or during the games.I gotta be honest and say i am really happy about the overall quality of the streams and am a happy camper each and every night the Flyers play.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:13 PM
achdumeingute

Have a friend that lives in the area and gets the games already? (or say someone with center ice).

Get a slingbox, vulkano, or build your own pc w/tv card and hook it up to a spare reciever/cable box.
One time investment, watch games...or whatever is on your TV for years.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Gamecenter is the way to go. Usually if its a nationally televised game there will be a solid stream.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote