Penn State Scandal Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM
JCD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Am I now wrong to think maybe this whole thing is a lie and Sandusky never did anything like claimed?
Yes.

While not an impossibility, the probability that 9 people from the same youth program invented similar stories to frame Sandusky then got, at a minimum, the intern to go along with it... then sit while their plot stewed for nearly a decade is exceedingly remote.

If this was one accuser, you would be right. 9 with rumors of 10 more, police reports from over a decade ago, an eyewitness and a sworn statement from Paterno makes this one hell of a conspiracy to pull off.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT/sta...87655747084288
Quote:
So much for that McQueary interview. Bad job by CBS promoting it. That was a no comment.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

While eating lunch today, I heard some legal talking head saying he would not be at all surprised if this ends up just like the Michael Jackson thing ended unless these victims come forward & testify at trial with specific evidence to prove the serious chrges.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

does Sandusky have a huge fanbase who believes in his innocence in spite of all evidence to the contrary? Guessing not. He's just a guy... a guy who admitted to playing naked slip and slide with a 10 year old.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Not sure if this was posted:

http://deadspin.com/5859888/report-m...nnstatescandal

Quote:
The Allentown (Pa.) Morning Call has obtained an email dated last week in which Mike McQueary says he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police." The grand jury summary says McQueary, about a week and a half after he witnessed the incident, met with Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the latter of whom did indeed oversee the university police. So we all knew that part, in other words. Two sentences later, the grand jury report also states that "McQueary was never questioned by University Police and no other entity conducted an investigation" until McQueary testified before the grand jury last year
This case is just turning bizarre.

11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

it's been bizarre and only going to get crazier.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Datstromberg

It seems like there is a whole lot of information that the public doesnt know and thats why its all a little bit confusing right now. Everybody has been talking about how terrible mcqueary and paterno are for not calling the police, now we find out mcqueary did talk to the police?

Have the police been all over this for a long time and just haven't had enough information/evidence to pull the trigger?

Old
11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

In the email he says he didn't leave until the assault stopped and he spoke to police. Maybe he's trying to save face. If they find he lied, it will hurt his credibility as a witness.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Quote:
Arizona man says Penn State officials ignored his report of abuse by a former professor

...Now, one alleged victim of child sex abuse is speaking publicly about what he calls a culture of secrecy at Penn State.

When he first heard the allegations in the 40-count indictment of Sandusky, “I was enraged, very upset,” Paul McLaughlin said. The 45-year-old Arizona man said he was abused by a former Penn State professor and then ignored by university officials.

CHRISTINE BAKER, The Patriot-News During a rally Tuesday to call for action on child sex abuse bills at the Pennsylvania Capitol In Harrisburg, Paul McLaughlin of Phoenix, Ariz., said that as a child he was abused by a Penn State professor from 1977 through 1981. Because the statute of limitations on the alleged crimes had expired, he was unable to pursue any other legal avenues.

More Here

Old
11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
This is starting to get Donny Darko vibes.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnatibaH View Post
I would be careful here since we know in a lawsuit crazy country like this, there are people who could actually lie about getting ***** by Sandusky for some cash.

If I wanted to, I could lie about Sandusky violating me for the chance at getting a few million at the risk of perjury and such. but I have ethics.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:28 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I would be careful here since we know in a lawsuit crazy country like this, there are people who could actually lie about getting ***** by Sandusky for some cash.

If I wanted to, I could lie about Sandusky violating me for the chance at getting a few million at the risk of perjury and such. but I have ethics.
You may have ethics, but they seem pretty horrible to me. There's a child molester with what seems like tons of evidence mounting against him and one of your first thoughts is about how the victims coming forward might actually not be victims and just people looking to cash in off of frivolous lawsuits.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:38 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
You may have ethics, but they seem pretty horrible to me. There's a child molester with what seems like tons of evidence mounting against him and one of your first thoughts is about how the victims coming forward might actually not be victims and just people looking to cash in off of frivolous lawsuits.
He's right though, with a big public case like this there will be people out there wanting to take advantage of the situation

Old
11-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
That is not what I said!!! The real victims should come forward. Im just suggesting that as the case mounts against Sandusky, the courts in PA should screen who is for real and who isnt. If anything its the fake victims(which I believe are outthere looking to get a quick payday) are disgrace to the real victims.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:44 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Quote:

Oh, I agree but what I think the article is trying to illustrate is that this is looking like a systemic problem, one that is going to get worse as time goes on and more rocks are turned over.

The individual in question (Paul McLaughlin) in the article isn't saying that he was sexually assaulted by sandusky, he's speaking to the in action that the university showed when he was sexually assaulted by a Penn State professor (John T. Neisworth) and ultimately once again with the sandusky situation.

I have to say though, that it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of all the information coming out and sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Sorry, hope that kinda makes sense, trying to watch the game and respond at the same time.

Last edited by NODLR: 11-15-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: idiom fix
Old
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Actions speak louder than words.
Quote:
Ex-Penn State president leaves board of US Steel

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Ousted Penn State University president Graham Spanier (SPAN'-yer) has resigned from the board at U.S. Steel.

And the Department of Defense has accepted his resignation from the board of advisers of the Naval Postgraduate School.
More Here

I wonder if anyone else will pull a Ray Gricar?
I'm purely speculating on circumstances surrounding the disappearance of course.

Last edited by NODLR: 11-15-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add link
Old
11-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:

I think the Bob Costas interview convinced me Sandusky was guilty. When he admitted he was playing with that kid in the showers and subtly slid in the "I may have snapped a few towels" to covering up the alleged "slapping sound" made when he was butt ****ing the kid it became pretty clear.

Old
11-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
Wow, the status under your forum name is speaking volumes at this point.

Why is it exactly you're trying to defend this skinner?
Not defending but with every new story the thought can change overall. I'm not defending him at all, but here I will. Innocent until proven guilty is supposed to be the thought.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:42 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Well this whole thing has been very confusing.

I'm still having some problems with the whole McQueary thing. I hope its not because I didn't manage to get through the whole report, but how can a full grown man of 28 not do more? I know he said he "stopped it", but it just stinks of a guy not wanting to lose what he's built up at the school.
It also strikes me as odd because McQueary looks(Both facially and in height and weight) like a guy that would lay you out if you looked at him wrong.
Man, this is one of those rare cases where a physical response is reasonable and honestly, expected.
FFS, I'm no tough guy, but I'd have at least done something more. Some of the most rational and forward thinking people I know have said they'd put their own father in the hospital/ground if they ever witnessed that.
People who prey on the defenceless should not and cannot be treated like human beings.

All that being said I wasn't there, wasn't in his shoes, and don't know 100% what happened, but it all stinks to high heaven to me.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Yep, the only witness to the **** should have assaulted the guy after the threat was eliminated, thereby destroying any case they could make against him. Makes a ton of sense.

Not wanting to "lose everything he built up at the school" would have been the least of McQueary's problems if he put the guy in the hospital.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
sillygoose

not sure if this was posted.
http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/11/joe-pat...is-wife-for-1/
Quote:
Joe Paterno transferred full ownership of his house to his wife, Sue, for $1 in July, less than four months before a sexual abuse scandal engulfed his Penn State football program and the university.
According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40.
Quote:
Lawrence A. Frolik, a law professor at the University of Pittsburgh, said that he had “never heard” of a husband selling a house to his wife for $1 for tax or government assistance purposes.
“I can’t see any tax advantages,” Frolik said. “If someone told me that, my reaction would be, ‘Are they hoping to shield assets in case if there’s personal liability?’ ” He added, “It sounds like an attempt to avoid personal liability in having assets in his wife’s name.”

Old
11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 157
interesting article on Saundusky/pedos:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sp...-a-man.html?hp

Quote:
But figuring out who might become a sex offender is not easy. “People tend to think that sex offenders have a trench coat and three-day stubble and look kind of creepy,” said Thomas G. Plante, a psychology professor at Santa Clara University and an expert on sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests. “Sex offenders come in all shapes and sizes and colors and I.Q.’s.”

He added: “Some offenders are in remarkable denial. They say they were doing the child a favor because he was being neglected at home. Others will say that what they did is not so bad. They’ll minimize it, and when you break through the denial, they’re often devastated and suicidal.”

Old
11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Not defending but with every new story the thought can change overall. I'm not defending him at all, but here I will. Innocent until proven guilty is supposed to be the thought.
Reading your posts in this thread you first intimated that had you witnessed the **** you may have minded your own business. You then inferred that most did what they should have. Next, maybe the whole thing never happened?

C'mon, man. Not all the facts are in, but the major participants have ADMITTED hearing about/witnessing a **** of a child.

You kinda worry me.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
I heard that, too. The only defense to why someone would do that is when you're in ill health and you want to avoid estate disputes and all that jazz. Since that isn't the case here, this is a asset-protection move, plain and simple.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Yep, the only witness to the **** should have assaulted the guy after the threat was eliminated, thereby destroying any case they could make against him. Makes a ton of sense.

Not wanting to "lose everything he built up at the school" would have been the least of McQueary's problems if he put the guy in the hospital.
That really wasn't what I was going for, but reading over what I posted I seem a tad aggitated and could see where you would get that from, but those were over the top examples.

I just mean for a 28 year old adult to call his dad and tell people later rather then sit there with the two of them until the police arrive is what I find seriously messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I heard that, too. The only defense to why someone would do that is when you're in ill health and you want to avoid estate disputes and all that jazz. Since that isn't the case here, this is a asset-protection move, plain and simple.
Bertuzzi did the same thing with his wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
interesting article on Saundusky/pedos:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sp...-a-man.html?hp
Shudder.

Closed Thread