HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

11/14/11 - 8:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Winnipeg

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

vCash: 500
Moving Downie? This is madness!

Old
11-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Lets fix our softness and lack of physical play by trading Downie.

Seriously though, Gervais wasn't good last night. Most guys werent good, but he stood out as very... not good.

There is no flow to this team right now, no confidence, its an orchestra all playing from the wrong page.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:07 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Moving Downie? This is madness!
Downie gave us boom. I don't think I have to say anymore about where he stands.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Methot makes the most sense in terms of both our need (defensive help) and Columbus' (shedding salary). I hope SFY can find a way to pry him out of Columbus.

I agree, it's a little early to give up on Downie. I think Felonious was simply pointing out that Downie has been crap this year. He's still got time to turn it around, and it's most likely a confidence issue and just gripping his twig too tight right now.
Right. To some degree, Downie's missed shots should be fixable.

I was also referring to the 'role' thing, although I didn't directly connect those ideas. Trading Downie away would make it clear that Downie's not the 'gritty' guy anymore, and everybody has to step up. Doing everything that's asked of you is the bare minimum.

It's sort of killing a fly with a cannon though.

The problem that presents itself with Methot though, is who gets the axe? Gervais?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Right. To some degree, Downie's missed shots should be fixable.

I was also referring to the 'role' thing, although I didn't directly connect those ideas. Trading Downie away would make it clear that Downie's not the 'gritty' guy anymore, and everybody has to step up. Doing everything that's asked of you is the bare minimum.

The problem that presents itself with Methot though, is who gets the axe? Gervais?
Considering he's the only defenseman with a 2-way contract, I'd say he'd be axed and moved to the AHL.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
EvanOberg

For whatever reason they havent been getting it done on the road. Lucky for the guys they have a good little stretch at home to figure it out.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:

The whole 'role' issue goes back to coaching though. Boucher needs to take away a bit of the structure if he wants to resolve this issue imo. Practices then have to become less about the system and emphasis has to be placed on each players' current flaws. Adapting the system should follow this, as players have become complacent (as you mentioned) playing their role in the system.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:52 AM
BoltSTH

Rumor has that Canes want to trade Tomas Kaberle. At $4.5m/year for this + 2 it is expensive but it would be the PMd we need and probably cheap, though not the defense deserves the 'd'

Old
11-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Rumor has that Canes want to trade Tomas Kaberle. At $4.5m/year for this + 2 it is expensive but it would be the PMd we need and probably cheap, though not the defense deserves the 'd'
Kaberle would do nothing to help our defensive woes or toughness/grit. As good of a skater and transition guy as he is, we need someone who is defensively responsible, can clear the front of the net, block shots and has some toughness/grit. Also, at 4.5/year, I'll kindly pass.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Oh god no

Did you not watch the ECF last year? Kaberle was one of the reasons we were able to stretch it to 7 games.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I Am Beat You

I don't think this team will be addressing toughness any time soon. I also don't anticipate any big trades, as I think we are significantly more than a piece or two away from contending for the cup. As much as I like the idea of acquiring Methot, I don't want to see us give up assets when realistically this isn't looking like it's "our year". I wouldn't mind seeing Tyrell, Ashton, or even Gudas up for at least a brief period of time this season.

Old
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I don't think this team will be addressing toughness any time soon. I also don't anticipate any big trades, as I think we are significantly more than a piece or two away from contending for the cup. As much as I like the idea of acquiring Methot, I don't want to see us give up assets when realistically this isn't looking like it's "our year". I wouldn't mind seeing Tyrell, Ashton, or even Gudas up for at least a brief period of time this season.
It's always "our year".

Old
11-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
It's always "our year".
I should have known.

Old
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
I know I'm pretty new here, but is everything you post so negative? I can understand rationally assessing your team's play and all, but you really haven't posted anything positive that is memorable at least. It seems like you simply get off on being the Devil's Advocate at every possible chance.

I'll agree that last year was Lightning in a Bottle really and was unexpected. I'm certain that some of the rebuilding that was supposed to happen last year will happen this year, but it's November. Plenty of time for Yzerman to address what needs to be addressed from a pieces of the puzzle standpoint and plenty of time for Boucher and VL4/MSL26/SS91 to address what needs to be addressed from a Leadership standpoint.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Methot represents a contract that addresses your concern. He's 26 years old and signed for 4 more years at a reasonable price (3 mil/year). I also doubt he would require a significant return given the state of the Blue Jackets' team as a whole. Looking ahead to the defenseman in free agency this year and you'll see that Methot would probably be a good addition.

We are definitely not a cup contender as it stands right now, but I think we are about 2 pieces away from being one. If we could add a consistent #1 goaltender and a solid top 25 two-way defenseman we'd certainly be favourites. Ryan Suter would instantly make us cup contenders, but we don't really have a chance at him based on his potential salary demands and if we also want to address goaltending.

However, it's a lot to ask of Y to acquire either at this point. I could definitely see us making the playoffs and riding momentum like we did last year if we could find an upgrade to our top 4 d in addition to what we already have.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Methot resembles a faster version of Kubina with worse offensive instincts and frankly his lack of play with the puck leads me to believe he wouldn't be a good fit here.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Not another Kubina!

Old
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Methot resembles a faster version of Kubina with worse offensive instincts and frankly his lack of play with the puck leads me to believe he wouldn't be a good fit here.
Mobility is the biggest issue with Kubina, coupled with the fact that he pinches when he shouldn't. Methot knows he's not an offensive defenseman, which would alleviate that issue. On top of all that, Methot plays a much simpler game in his own zone.

What are you basing your analysis of him on?

Old
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Kuby serves his purpose as long as he has Gilroy or Hedman on his other side.

Old
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

We need something better than Methot to solve the mess we have on defense tbh.

Talk to Nashville about Suter.

Old
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
It's always "our year".
As long as we get in the playoffs. We know a #5 seed can sweep a #1 seed.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
We need something better than Methot to solve the mess we have on defense tbh.

Talk to Nashville about Suter.

I thought the goal of trade scenarios was to be realistic. There's 0 chance Nashville trades away Suter, especially at this point in the season. Be prepared to give up Connolly and a 1st in 2012 without a guarantee that he'd re-sign.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Read something earlier that Poile and Suter's agent were due to meet soon to talk extension. Don't think any of the 3 in Nashville are going anywhere.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I know I'm pretty new here, but is everything you post so negative? I can understand rationally assessing your team's play and all, but you really haven't posted anything positive that is memorable at least. It seems like you simply get off on being the Devil's Advocate at every possible chance.

I'll agree that last year was Lightning in a Bottle really and was unexpected. I'm certain that some of the rebuilding that was supposed to happen last year will happen this year, but it's November. Plenty of time for Yzerman to address what needs to be addressed from a pieces of the puzzle standpoint and plenty of time for Boucher and VL4/MSL26/SS91 to address what needs to be addressed from a Leadership standpoint.
How exactly is that a negative post? I think if anything we are worse than last year, and barring at least one major, and I mean major acquisition, we simply don't look like a team that can compete for a cup. I'm not trying to put a negative spin on things, but I think it's the reality of our situation. I'd rather we not deal key assets unless we're A: getting at least one player who vaults us into the "elite" category, or B: getting a player who we expect to have after this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Methot represents a contract that addresses your concern. He's 26 years old and signed for 4 more years at a reasonable price (3 mil/year). I also doubt he would require a significant return given the state of the Blue Jackets' team as a whole. Looking ahead to the defenseman in free agency this year and you'll see that Methot would probably be a good addition.

We are definitely not a cup contender as it stands right now, but I think we are about 2 pieces away from being one. If we could add a consistent #1 goaltender and a solid top 25 two-way defenseman we'd certainly be favourites. Ryan Suter would instantly make us cup contenders, but we don't really have a chance at him based on his potential salary demands and if we also want to address goaltending.

However, it's a lot to ask of Y to acquire either at this point. I could definitely see us making the playoffs and riding momentum like we did last year if we could find an upgrade to our top 4 d in addition to what we already have.
I agree for the most part. I'm not necessarily opposed to trading for Methot, because he's signed to a reasonable contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
That's a pretty vague comparison. I also don't find them to be similar players at all.

Closed Thread