HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Flames @ Avs | 11-12 | 8:00pm MT | Sacco still sucks postgame

View Poll Results: Favourite thingy
Beer 19 30.65%
Red Wine 2 3.23%
White Wine 1 1.61%
Tequila (G2P approved) 4 6.45%
Vodka 5 8.06%
Whiskey 12 19.35%
Rum 5 8.06%
Moonshine 1 1.61%
Gin 2 3.23%
Longisland Ice Tea 3 4.84%
Other 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Yah I also thought Svatos had a 40 goal season in him. I was wrong. Johnson wont win a Norris in this league his development has been stalled by terrible coaching and golf carts. If you watched plenty of Blues game then its easy to see that Shatty has been better then Johnson THIS year SO FAR. Does Shatty have Johnsons potential? No but Shattenkirk is playing better hockey then Johnson. Hejda Paired with Johnson Johnson is a minus. Johnson paired with WIlson Johnson still a minus. Its clearly his d partners fault for all his minuses. Johnson is a soft big man whose all talk no action. That face plant last year sums up his season so far. A whole bunch of fail. I hope he keeps up his crappy play because it is helping fuel the fire sacco wagon.
You usually are.

First you hated the trade, then screamed Norris then Klemm! All this in under 40 games. There's no in between with you, that leads me to believe that A) you have no idea what your talking about or B) your bipolar I say it's 50/50.

... And yes EJ has been much better than Shatty.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:26 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
You usually are.

First you hated the trade, then screamed Norris then Klemm! All this in under 40 games. There's no in between with you, that leads me to believe that A) you have no idea what your talking about or B) your bipolar I say it's 50/50.

... And yes EJ has been much better than Shatty.
Get real bud haha I screamed Norris? And no he hasn't been better then shatty. He's our number 1 D yet plays no better then our number 5. When he's able to connect on a one timer or when he learns to shoot away from the oppositions shin pads he might have a future. His offensive game has been horrible his defensive game has been mediocre. Not upto par for a number 1 and the guy whose supposed to anchor this d Corp for the next little while

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Again all this in under 40 games! How you don't have a scouting job in the NHL is unbelievable.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Whatever happened to the Hedja/Johnson pairing, anyway? I know it wasn't perfect, but I think it was better than the current - Wilson/Johnson.
It ended when hedja tackled our own goalie and ej was a pylon as usual and let his man score on the same play giving us a loss.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
It ended when hedja tackled our own goalie and ej was a pylon as usual and let his man score on the same play giving us a loss.
Uh oh here comes Duchene2Mueller

Old
11-13-2011, 10:13 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
CBJ fan here. I was in Denver visiting family and went to last nights game. Had a great time, took a little crap for wearing my wheat kings sweater despite wearing my old avs hat...

Anyway, some observations. Obviously I see the avs a few games a year, but I'm usually paying more attention to the aggravating stuff Columbus does. This time I was focused on the avs, like I did in the 90s before we had a team in Columbus.

Is there an offensive system Sacco has these guys playing? The whole game it seemed to be the avs relying on turnovers or loose pucks then fast break to the other end. When they needed to set something up, they simply couldn't do it until later in the 3rd. Even with the man advantage, they just could not possess the puck in the offensive zone. It reminded me of the caps from a few years ago. All push push push but it left them open for pucks coming the other way a lot, especially early.

That said, the avs are so opportunistic it's freaky. No lead is safe for an opponent. I told the women I was with that even at 3-0 and 4-1, the avs could turn it around in minutes

Duchene, Statsny are sick with the puck. Hejduk just never seems to get old. Wtf was up with Erik Johnson? He stood out as particularly bad last night. Keyed on landeskog (sp?) and thought he struggled a lot. In general, no avs forwards looked comfortable in their own zone or on the wall. Varlamov reminded me of mason, giving up an early one like that, but given the number of 2on1 or even 2on0 chances they gave up, I thought he settled in. The poke check on the 2on0 was a thing of beauty.

Props to your game ops. One of the complaints we have in Columbus is how lame game ops is and how they dont seem to react to the action on the ice ( not that this is a problem this season ). They really had the crowd worked up in the second half of the third. Unbelievable ending didnt hurt! Crazy action and so many close calls...hard to believe they weren't going to tie it.

First class arena, good fans, good time. Everything but an avs win. Good luck the rest of the season.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 11-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
I don't know, I have always had a strange curiousity with respect to posters that rail against players like EJ in this situation.

I always have a hard time understanding the motivation.

If EJ is terrible and you are right, does it make you happy? If that it the case, it likely sets the franchise back a few years. Perhaps you want Sacco and Sherman fired. Fine, but doesn't that also mean the franchise is set back a few years?

Do you simply want acknowledgement from fans that you are really smart? Does validation from and internet sports board mean that much to you?

It seems to me that you ultimately hope that EJ is just having a few rough patches as a fan. Otherwise, it appears that you are actively rooting against the franchise based on some strange psychological rationale.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
hawk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
CBJ fan here. I was in Denver visiting family and went to last nights game. Had a great time, took a little crap for wearing my wheat kings sweater despite wearing my old avs hat...

Anyway, some observations. Obviously I see the avs a few games a year, but I'm usually paying more attention to the aggravating stuff Columbus does. This time I was focused on the avs, like I did in the 90s before we had a team in Columbus.

Is there an offensive system Sacco has these guys playing? The whole game it seemed to be the avs relying on turnovers or loose pucks then fast break to the other end. When they needed to set something up, they simply couldn't do it until later in the 3rd. Even with the man advantage, they just could not possess the puck in the offensive zone. It reminded me of the caps from a few years ago. All push push push but it left them open for pucks coming the other way a lot, especially early.

That said, the avs are so opportunistic it's freaky. No lead is safe for an opponent. I told the women I was with that even at 3-0 and 4-1, the avs could turn it around in minutes

Duchene, Statsny are sick with the puck. Hejduk just never seems to get old. Wtf was up with Erik Johnson? He stood out as particularly bad last night. Keyed on landeskog (sp?) and thought he struggled a lot. In general, no avs forwards looked comfortable in their own zone or on the wall. Varlamov reminded me of mason, giving up an early one like that, but given the number of 2on1 or even 2on0 chances they gave up, I thought he settled in. The poke check on the 2on0 was a thing of beauty.

Props to your game ops. One of the complaints we have in Columbus is how lame game ops is and how they dont seem to react to the action on the ice ( not that this is a problem this season ). They really had the crowd worked up in the second half of the third. Unbelievable ending didnt hurt! Crazy action and so many close calls...hard to believe they weren't going to tie it.

First class arena, good fans, good time. Everything but an avs win. Good luck the rest of the season.
Appreciate seeing some thoughtful analysis around here for a change, thanks.

I think you nailed our offensive system, or lack thereof, and its weakness perfectly. We have started to use our points a lot more this year, but it almost always ends in shots deflected to the corners off of shinguards.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I don't know, I have always had a strange curiousity with respect to posters that rail against players like EJ in this situation.

I always have a hard time understanding the motivation.

If EJ is terrible and you are right, does it make you happy? If that it the case, it likely sets the franchise back a few years. Perhaps you want Sacco and Sherman fired. Fine, but doesn't that also mean the franchise is set back a few years?

Do you simply want acknowledgement from fans that you are really smart? Does validation from and internet sports board mean that much to you?

It seems to me that you ultimately hope that EJ is just having a few rough patches as a fan. Otherwise, it appears that you are actively rooting against the franchise based on some strange psychological rationale.
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with what the Avs gave up for him. Stewart and Shattenkirk were becoming fan favourites, and EJ is the 1st overall pick that never should have been. If the Avs traded Liles+Stoa+Condtional 2nd for him, or whatever other BS quantity package fans on these boards seem to think good players are worth, people wouldn't be so hard on him.

Obviously expectations are huge for him, like becoming the next Chris Pronger, and he hasn't lived up to them. It is frustrating when you know there is more ability to a player than what he has shown, but at the same time we need to have some patience with him. Something a lot of fans are running out of it seems. Oh well, one streak of a few good games, which he is no doubt do for, and we shall see the Johnson for Norris on the main forum.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Is there an offensive system Sacco has these guys playing?
Nope. Thats pretty much fans biggest issue with Sacco.

Quote:
Wtf was up with Erik Johnson? He stood out as particularly bad last night.
EJ has been bad all season, its scary how bad he is actually.

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Nope. Thats pretty much fans biggest issue with Sacco.

EJ has been bad all season, its scary how bad he is actually.
Dont say that.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

For the record, I still have confidence in EJ. Not sorry we made the trade. Not at all.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Foppa2118

Would be cool to watch the After Hours interview with O'Reilly and Giggy, if CBC could get their stupid website working. It's been saying the content is currently not available since Saturday. Can't find it on YouTube either.

Here's the link in case they ever get the video up, for the peeps who didn't see it live.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...#id=2167097105

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
For the record, I still have confidence in EJ. Not sorry we made the trade. Not at all.
I am.

I've said it before, EJ looks a lot like another Eric Brewer to me. Good player, probably a #1 on a lot of teams with a ton of physical tools, but not an elite defenseman.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote