HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2011 General Managers Meeting #1 (November 15th)

Old
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
2011 General Managers Meeting #1 (November 15th)

So tomorrow is the first meeting of the GMs of the year (source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601503)

Some topics that will be discussed:
- The 1-3-1 Tampa uses
- Update on re-alignment
- Review of new rules on boarding and illegal checks to the head

Still trying to find the source, but apparently Darcy is also looking to bring up the Lucic/Miller incident as a point of discussion as well.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:50 PM
omglolnub

Never hurts to bring up goaltender safety, especially since open season has begun with permit applications in the penalty box that take two minutes to fill out. Okay, that's all Kerry Fraser but that stuff was just GOLD!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:52 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Posted elsewhere, but here's what came of it:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380505

Old
11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Posted elsewhere, but here's what came of it:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380505
Ok... Shanahan didn't believe he had the authority to under the rules .. Yet he's already on record stating 2 minutes was the correct call... not 5 minute major...not game misconduct.

And now after speaking to the GM's he believes he has a mandate? .. Um ... I guess the NHL Rulebook is kind of like the US Constitution now ... either it's relevant or it's not ...

They keep flip-flopping...and it's frustrating.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:16 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

The straightness of Lucic's stick before he hits miller, is a clear indication that he wasn't looking for the puck.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-15-2011 at 11:31 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
HockeyTerror

Apparently Shanahan was the irresponsible one

Last edited by HockeyTerror: 11-15-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: I really can spell
HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:34 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Ok... Shanahan didn't believe he had the authority to under the rules .. Yet he's already on record stating 2 minutes was the correct call... not 5 minute major...not game misconduct.

And now after speaking to the GM's he believes he has a mandate? .. Um ... I guess the NHL Rulebook is kind of like the US Constitution now ... either it's relevant or it's not ...

They keep flip-flopping...and it's frustrating.
Bettman: "Hey Shanny, you're hired! Your job is to decide when a player should be suspended"
Shanny: "Cool, thanks Gary!"

Shanny: "... and so, I believe Milan and believe 2 minutes was the right call."
GMs: "Hey Shanny, you should have suspended him"
Shanny: "Huh? I have the ability to do that?! Woah!"

Old
11-15-2011, 11:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It pisses me off that they're even discussing the Tampa 1-3-1. It isn't the same as the trap and they are the only team to do it with high frequency. They still give up a lot of goals in comparison to the rest of the league.

I swear sometimes it seems like they yearn for change for the simple sake of ... change. Stop ****ing with the rules.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It pisses me off that they're even discussing the Tampa 1-3-1. It isn't the same as the trap and they are the only team to do it with high frequency. They still give up a lot of goals in comparison to the rest of the league.

I swear sometimes it seems like they yearn for change for the simple sake of ... change. Stop ****ing with the rules.
Discussion is good. Shouldn't matter whether or not anything should be done. Discussion on the topic may spark ideas that could even be completely unrelated.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

No, it's not the same as the trap, it's worse.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
joshjull

Quote:
After learning Tuesday that roughly two-thirds of GMs would have preferred to see a suspension in the case, Shanahan acknowledged that his mandate had been altered.

So I guess the Sabres weren't being irresponsible after all.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So I guess the Sabres weren't being irresponsible after all.
You don't question the Shanahammer. You only change his mandate.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
gallagt01

Are these meetings strictly general managers, or are league officials present as well?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Are these meetings strictly general managers, or are league officials present as well?
Fairly certain league officials are present as well. From all indications, Shanahan was quite involved and I can only imagine Bettman and Co were also in there.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

There is one universal truth in the NHL...

If there is a crappy, unevenly applied rule... Buffalo will get burned by it and then the rule will be changed.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
It really bothers me that people are making such a big deal out of Tampa's trap, especially since the big rallying point for the attention is Philly's silliness. If Philly really wants to make a statement about the trap they can do so by routinely beating it.

A game with one or two teams trapping often can be as exciting as any other, in my opinion, but the most exciting thing to a fan base is its team winning.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It really bothers me that people are making such a big deal out of Tampa's trap, especially since the big rallying point for the attention is Philly's silliness. If Philly really wants to make a statement about the trap they can do so by routinely beating it.
I personally thinks its obnoxious for a team to be in a passive trap with no forechecker at all at the very start of the game. I get it after you have a lead, even though I'm not a fan of it, but right off the bat?

If we're going to fair and honest about this. Philly is under no obligation to play the puck forward into a trap. Just as there is no rule that forces a team to forecheck there is also no rule that forces a team to leave their zone with the puck. They can sit back like they did and try and wait it out. Its ugly to watch and likely wont get a Tampa player to leave his position to get the puck but they are allowed to do it.

The Caps did this last year against Tampa as well. The pnly difference being their dmen passed it back and forth from the faceoff dots instead of just sitting there like Philly's. But the effect was the same, no one moved and it was a stalemate.

Quote:
A game with one or two teams trapping often can be as exciting as any other, in my opinion,
Thats pushing it a bit.

Quote:
but the most exciting thing to a fan base is its team winning
The NHL is looking at the big picture. Their product is first and foremost a form of entertainment. They also don't want to be reactionary

Here are some great comments from various GMs on the topic.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601682

Quote:
"The score was 0-0. I know myself in a game, like tonight, at some point we're going to be on our toes and we're going to be forechecking," Poile said. "At some point in the game we're going to back on our heels and we're going to be in the 1-3-1. It is just visually strange to me when it is 0-0. As soon as somebody scored a goal, that's not happening anymore."

This quote sort of sums up the issue many have with Tampa's approach to the 1-3-1 and why it bothers folks. Its not that they use it. Its that they set up in a passive defensive setup from the get go and don't even attempt to forecheck.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
HockeyTerror

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The quote sort of sums up the issue many have with Tampa's approach to the 1-3-1 and why it bothers folks. Its not that they use it. Its that they set up in a passive defensive setup from the get go and don't even attempt to forecheck.
Agreed. There is a time and place for the trap and every team uses it but it's much more entertaining to watch a team try and win instead of try not to lose.

Tampa makes me sleepy.

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post

A game with one or two teams trapping often can be as exciting as any other, in my opinion, but the most exciting thing to a fan base is its team winning.
That's the point, just beating the trap wouldn't really make any statement at all. They're trying to point out how silly the trap is and that it's not good for the game (by not sending a forechecker right off the get go at 0-0). Simply beating the trap would not make that statement to the league.

As for your 2nd statement, a defensive battle can be extremely exciting, that doesn't necessarily imply two teams trapping.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote