HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jordan Staal to Buffalo

Old
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I can't see the Pens moving Staal right now. He's playing the best hockey of his career, imo, and he's great insurance as a top 2 line caliber center if Crosby or Malkin have any setbacks with their injuries.
I do not get this insurance argument. Yeah, he of course is that, but it plays into the whole trade board notion that he is a spare because of Malkin and Crosby. He is hardly that on this team, and if he takes that next step will be even more a core part.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:13 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Staal's value is going up, up, up. Staal for Stafford sounded pretty fair when we were talking about 49 point Staal. This looks like 70 point Staal this season though.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Staal's value is going up, up, up. Staal for Stafford sounded pretty fair when we were talking about 49 point Staal. This looks like 70 point Staal this season though.
It wasn't even fair then given Staal's age, all-around game, consistency, and playoff experience, and Stafford's lone impressive contract-year season.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

Stall won't get 70 points once Pens are fully healthy.

How long the Pens have him locked up? Cuz.. I can't see him wanting to be stuck at 3rd line Center for much longer.

Maybe he won't mind.. but chances are he won't. Pens will be in a tough position when that time comes.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:45 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

How long the Pens have him locked up? Cuz.. I can't see him wanting to be stuck at 3rd line Center for much longer.

Maybe he won't mind.. but chances are he won't. Pens will be in a tough position when that time comes.
Chances are better he won't be interested in going to any franchise that has never won a cup or hasn't in a very long time. Winning environment is everything just keep that in mind.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Penguins have no reason to trade major core elements of their team.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Chances are better he won't be interested in going to any franchise that has never won a cup or hasn't in a very long time. Winning environment is everything just keep that in mind.
Plus, I wouldn't exactly call Staal a third line center. Even on a fully healthy roster, he plays 20 minutes a night. And, I suspect now, he's going to be more of a 2/3 center, as I anticipate Bylsma, once Sid returns, will mix playing 3 centers with playing Malkin on either Sid's or Staal's wing on a game by game basis depending upon situation and matchups.

That said, the Pens only trade Staal, as I noted, under one of three circumstances:

1. Money (they can't resign him this summer and risk losing him as a UFA after next season).

2. Staal asks out.

3. Shero is overwhelmed with a package so much that he wonders if the GM making a trade offer is drunk.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Beerz

Quote:
And the Penguins are not the only team that has ever won a Cup... Keep that in mind.

At the end of the day... the chance to lead a team and $$$ will trump all else...for 95% of players.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:13 PM
66-29-33

Staal goes nowhere unless it's a package for Bobby Ryan. /thread.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Plus, I wouldn't exactly call Staal a third line center. Even on a fully healthy roster, he plays 20 minutes a night. And, I suspect now, he's going to be more of a 2/3 center, as I anticipate Bylsma, once Sid returns, will mix playing 3 centers with playing Malkin on either Sid's or Staal's wing on a game by game basis depending upon situation and matchups.

That said, the Pens only trade Staal, as I noted, under one of three circumstances:

1. Money (they can't resign him this summer and risk losing him as a UFA after next season).

2. Staal asks out.

3. Shero is overwhelmed with a package so much that he wonders if the GM making a trade offer is drunk.

And i wouldn't trade him unless one of those 3 situations occurred either.

Old
11-15-2011, 11:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
And i wouldn't trade him unless one of those 3 situations occurred either.
Yep, but what fun is that kind of logic in a trade speculation thread?

Old
11-15-2011, 11:23 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yep, but what fun is that kind of logic in a trade speculation thread?
That kind of logic comes from fans who worship Terry Pegula's money and think it will cure everything.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:25 PM
dma0034

Is Eric Staal more available than Jordan Staal????

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Pittsburgh is arguably one of the only teams that can legitimately roll three dangerous offense lines. When Crosby is back, they basically have two first lines and a second. Why not ride that to another cup, then improve what isn't actually broken? I think top four in the east without the best player in the game is good enough for them.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:18 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

Depends on how you look at it I guess. They all get pretty even ice time unless the team is behind late.

As far as the points, yeah it would be a lofty goal I was just speaking more to how he looks lately.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Staal is FINALLY starting to put together a legit offensive game. His presence alone makes the 3rd line a scoring line regardless of who his wingers are. Honestly, once Crosby comes back we won't need wingers.

I rather pick up a rental at the deadline. Or trade some trash for garbage from the Jets (unless they fired Waddell already?).

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:31 AM
mpp9

The possibility of Staal/Kennedy on our third line again is nuts to think about. Don't think people realize what kind of damage they can do to bottom pairing D-men.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The possibility of Staal/Kennedy on our third line again is nuts to think about. Don't think people realize what kind of damage they can do to bottom pairing D-men.
I rather have TK on the 1st line, if nothing else to keep Dupuis away from Crosby.
If Tangradi meets expectations, a 3rd line of Tangradi Staal Dupuis would be sick.

Kunitz Crosby TK/*insert dream winger*
Sulli Geno Neal
Tangradi Staal Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Asham
Adams Park Jeffrey

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:09 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Is Eric Staal more available than Jordan Staal????
You would have to think so given age and cap hit.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:13 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:

Even though Staal is a 3rd line center in Pittsburgh, he's been playing 20+ minutes, PK, PP on a Stanley Cup contender every year.

Why he wouldn't re-sign with that role and that team ??? Only because of he's not on the 1st line on a paper before the game ???

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:02 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Staal is FINALLY starting to put together a legit offensive game. His presence alone makes the 3rd line a scoring line regardless of who his wingers are. Honestly, once Crosby comes back we won't need wingers.

I rather pick up a rental at the deadline. Or trade some trash for garbage from the Jets (unless they fired Waddell already?).
Something tells me that's Ray Shero's plan . . .

Old
11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
KIRK

Quote:
That kind of logic comes from fans who worship Terry Pegula's money and think it will cure everything.
Does Pegula have enough money to buy a non-voluntary lobotomy for Ray Shero and to then buy an acquittal?