HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Filatov to CSKA Moscow?

Old
11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
But I would like to see where is written that Filatov is considering to return to Russia because in Russian text nothing written similar there. Only about CSKA interesting.
Twitter
@dchesnokovDmitry Chesnokov
Nikita Filatov's Russian agent says Filatov is considering returning to Russia after another demotion to the minors by the #Sens.

Filatov's agent tells RIAN the #Sens will have to make a decision whether to allow Filatov to return to Russia to join #KHL's CSKA.

These tweets are the source for the rumour.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Flamingo

This particular player needs to be called up sometime in the next 4 weeks. He's shown elite-level talent, and the club should do what's best for Filatov to increase the likelihood that he develops it into NHL point-producing skill.

There's no sense comparing Filatov's development to what it takes for any other Bingo player to earn a spot in the roster. Not every player is expected to have that talent.

From his NHL games, I've seen him play great defensively, and be a bit tentative offensively, occasionally making good plays to create offensive chances for his line mates. He needs more NHL exposure.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
This particular player needs to be called up sometime in the next 4 weeks. He's shown elite-level talent, and the club should do what's best for Filatov to increase the likelihood that he develops it into NHL point-producing skill.

There's no sense comparing Filatov's development to what it takes for any other Bingo player to earn a spot in the roster. Not every player is expected to have that talent.

From his NHL games, I've seen him play great defensively, and be a bit tentative offensively, occasionally making good plays to create offensive chances for his line mates. He needs more NHL exposure.
He hasn't even been consistant an the AHL level or in the KHL. How is he ready for prime minutes in the NHL or even to be considered for a full time roster spot?

Pretty good way to lose the team and room by giving a guy who hasn't earned a thing over players who actually have.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:19 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I think you have actually stated the problem, not a solution. Players like Butler and Filatov really aren't playing to their strength with six minutes a night on a fourth line centered by Konopka or Winchester.

Last night was an anomoly, nobody should expect Butler or Filatov to score with any regularity playing on the fourth line.

The reality is the Sens forward group all have more experience, are older and more physically developed than Filatov at this point in time. The only Sen comparable to Filatov is Da Costa, who is still a year older, and in all likelyhood would be in Binghamton if Regin wasn't injured.

Murray made his decision, the rebuild with youth was the defence first, the signings of Butler, Condra, Greening, and Smith gave the young forward prospects more time to develop. Next year with Zibanejad, Hoffman, and Silfverberg also in the hunt for NHL positions, the road to the NHL becomes even more difficult for Filatov.

Filatov just needs time, whether that is in the AHL or KHL. He needs to mature physically, play top line minutes and feel confident enough with his game to take it to the next level.
Why not? While they might be playing with Konopka and Winchester, but they're also playing bottom pairing D and other teams "worst" players. Butler's 2 plays to score goals is more than what Filatov has ever done on the bottom line. And like mentioned before, even if Filatov doesn't produce on the 4th line, if it LOOKS like he's actually trying to do something out there it would be a nice start, he's not engaged at all.

As Mr. Gilmore pointed out, has his skate ever touched the blue paint ever? Butler drew a penalty last night by going hard to the net for a rebound, Filatov can't at least draw a penalty with his skill? I don't care if you get 6 minutes or 26 minutes, you gotta make the most of either, and Filatov hasn't.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Butler got 2 on the 4th line last night. Why cant Filatov?

People are just coming up with excuses now. He hasn't earned a thing and there are better players than him in the top 6.
Butler has done nothing on the fourth line until last night, and surely you don't expect Butler to score often playing fourth line minutes.

Butler also is three years older than Filatov, has a one-way contract with the Sens, and no possible way to go to the KHL and make a million or two.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Twitter
Nikita Filatov's Russian agent says Filatov is considering returning to Russia after another demotion to the minors by the #Sens.

Filatov's agent tells RIAN the #Sens will have to make a decision whether to allow Filatov to return to Russia to join #KHL's CSKA.

These tweets are the source for the rumour.
But not in Russian text... . I would like to know the source of this first tweet. Maybe he said it to Chesnokov face to face... but nothing similar in the Russian text.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

PSBJoyOnTheSens Joy Lindsay
#BSens are on the ice for practice at the BCVMA. Nikita Filatov is here.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Butler has done nothing on the fourth line until last night, and surely you don't expect Butler to score often playing fourth line minutes.

Butler also is three years older than Filatov, has a one-way contract with the Sens, and no possible way to go to the KHL and make a million or two.
I don't expect Butler to get a goal every game, or every 2. Maybe 8-10 playing on the 4th line, pretty reasonable and will probably happen.

As for Butler being 3 years older that's basically the point. Filatov is a kid, he plays like one and acts like one. He isn't ready for the NHL and it's very, very apparent.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
He hasn't even been consistant an the AHL level or in the KHL. How is he ready for prime minutes in the NHL or even to be considered for a full time roster spot?

Pretty good way to lose the team and room by giving a guy who hasn't earned a thing over players who actually have.
He's been consistent defensively, patience should be shown for offensive creativity to bloom as he gains confidence. Other players have been granted time to find their offensive game. (e.g., Butler) I agree, I'd expected more from him in the AHL. But it doesn't sound like the ideal training ground right now.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Juneemoon

This has been the situation for the past 3 years. CSKA has never made a secret about wanting Filatov back. He's had a "standing welcome back" since he left. And every time things go bad for Filatov, they're right back on the phone to his agent. He has known some of the people in CSKA since he was 6 years old.

And I'm sure his Russian agent works for Don Meehan. Most of the big agencies have Russian connections.

Unless something remarkable happens, he's going to be gone after this season anyway.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:

Sensible post.

N Bahn Ahden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Icelevel
little bit better

so he might not be our datsyuk?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
EastCoastSensFan

At the end of the day bulter was hurt during camp and the first 10 games of the season, and now the last 3 games or so his play has improved to the point of the 2 goals last night.

Bottom line filatov has done nothing with what he has been given ( as little as it may have been) He could go hard to the net, try and beat someone with his speed try and undress someone but no he does nothing, in the 6 games hes played i dont recall one really strong shift from him.

Im not going to speak out about his character based on rumor alone but if he were to try and black mail the sens into playing him more by use of the khl then i would hope that Murray packs his bags and drives him to the airport himself.

EastCoastSensFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastSensFan View Post
At the end of the day bulter was hurt during camp and the first 10 games of the season, and now the last 3 games or so his play has improved to the point of the 2 goals last night.

Bottom line filatov has done nothing with what he has been given ( as little as it may have been) He could go hard to the net, try and beat someone with his speed try and undress someone but no he does nothing, in the 6 games hes played i dont recall one really strong shift from him.

Im not going to speak out about his character based on rumor alone but if he were to try and black mail the sens into playing him more by use of the khl then i would hope that Murray packs his bags and drives him to the airport himself.
Exactly. Fact of the matter is Filatov isn't an NHL player right now. Does he have an NHL skill set? For sure he does but there is a lot more that goes into being an NHL player let alone a top 6 NHL forward then just skill.

He isn't phyiscally ready and he most certainly is not mentally ready based on the games he's played in both Ottawa and Columbus. He knows he has to play defense, he knows he has to work hard, but he doesn't know how to compete and he dones't know how to use his assests to his advantage. These are things that will he wil have to figure out or he will never be an NHL player.

As far as him going back to Russia, maybe it is the best option and maybe it is in the best interest of everyone if he does but like you said, if he's pulling some kind of stunt to play in the NHL by giving Murray an ultimatum, the organization is better off without him.

Hopefully Filatov knows what he's doing because there won't be another team to take a chance on him after Ottawa.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Why not? While they might be playing with Konopka and Winchester, but they're also playing bottom pairing D and other teams "worst" players. Butler's 2 plays to score goals is more than what Filatov has ever done on the bottom line. And like mentioned before, even if Filatov doesn't produce on the 4th line, if it LOOKS like he's actually trying to do something out there it would be a nice start, he's not engaged at all.

As Mr. Gilmore pointed out, has his skate ever touched the blue paint ever? Butler drew a penalty last night by going hard to the net for a rebound, Filatov can't at least draw a penalty with his skill? I don't care if you get 6 minutes or 26 minutes, you gotta make the most of either, and Filatov hasn't.
Excuse me, Butler has played 10 games this year (not all 4th line minutes) had 2 assists prior to his two goals last night. The two goals were his first points while playing on the fourth line. While I am happy Butler finally broke through, I am not expecting him to score very often if he remains on that line.

The fourth line is typically an energy line, and players like Butler, Da Costa and Filatov just don't fit the job description.

You are wrong with your assumptions that the fourth line plays against the worst defence and forwards, while a coach can managed match-ups at home, not so on the road. Last night both of Butler's goals were scored with Calgary's second pairing (Mark Giordano/Scott Hannan) on the ice.

To use any of the penalty calls last night to suggest Butler was an offensive force all night, is just a gross overstatement. The refs last night called infractions that were very marginal at best.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:

Butler had been playing like crap up until about 3 games ago. His work ethic and initiative have improved quite a bit lately, such that he's actually fighting for pucks along the boards and taking the responsibility to create offense upon himself. I doubt he would've won a puck or drawn a penalty in his first 7 games this year.

We need Filatov to go through a similar breakthrough. Scoring in the NHL isn't always a Pavel Bure highlight reel, you have to pay the price with sweat & bruises to score in this league.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Excuse me, Butler has played 10 games this year (not all 4th line minutes) had 2 assists prior to his two goals last night. The two goals were his first points while playing on the fourth line. While I am happy Butler finally broke through, I am not expecting him to score very often if he remains on that line.

The fourth line is typically an energy line, and players like Butler, Da Costa and Filatov just don't fit the job description.

You are wrong with your assumptions that the fourth line plays against the worst defence and forwards, while a coach can managed match-ups at home, not so on the road. Last night both of Butler's goals were scored with Calgary's second pairing (Mark Giordano/Scott Hannan) on the ice.

To use any of the penalty calls last night to suggest Butler was an offensive force all night, is just a gross overstatement. The refs last night called infractions that were very marginal at best.
I thought Butler was playing really well before he scored those goals. He could have had a hat trick if he pots that one late in the first.

Either way, the "energy line" thing is probably the most overblown comment or expectation of a 4th line in hockey. Yah, you have guys like Konopka that fill a role down there and play minimal minutes but it's BS to think offensive guys cant do at least something with the mins they play down there.

Most players in the NHL work their way up from the 4th line when they start, they prove themselves or earn more ice. Just because you're on the 4th line doesn't instantly mean you have to fight, bang bodies none stop, or get down and block shots. Just means you have less ice.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Exactly. Fact of the matter is Filatov isn't an NHL player right now. Does he have an NHL skill set? For sure he does but there is a lot more that goes into being an NHL player let alone a top 6 NHL forward then just skill.

He isn't phyiscally ready and he most certainly is not mentally ready based on the games he's played in both Ottawa and Columbus. He knows he has to play defense, he knows he has to work hard, but he doesn't know how to compete and he dones't know how to use his assests to his advantage. These are things that will he wil have to figure out or he will never be an NHL player.

As far as him going back to Russia, maybe it is the best option and maybe it is in the best interest of everyone if he does but like you said, if he's pulling some kind of stunt to play in the NHL by giving Murray an ultimatum, the organization is better off without him.

Hopefully Filatov knows what he's doing because there won't be another team to take a chance on him after Ottawa.
While I do agree with much of what you have said, this last line I really don't. The NHL doesn't discriminate against talent. Filatov can develop his game anywhere on the planet, if he demonstrates that skill effectively, NHL teams will want him.

It seems Filatov is still in Bingo at least.

@PSBJoyOnTheSensJoy Lindsay

Here's another tweet from Joy, maybe there should be another thread about Lehner next.

Robin Lehner left the ice early in practice and hasn't returned. Trainer Glen Kinney didn't go with him, so it's unlikely he's hurt. #BSens

Old
11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
While I do agree with much of what you have said, this last line I really don't. The NHL doesn't discriminate against talent. Filatov can develop his game anywhere on the planet, if he demonstrates that skill effectively, NHL teams will want him.

It seems Filatov is still in Bingo at least.

Here's another tweet from Joy, maybe there should be another thread about Lehner next.

Robin Lehner left the ice early in practice and hasn't returned. Trainer Glen Kinney didn't go with him, so it's unlikely he's hurt. #BSens
They are against Russians though.

Also, let me ask people this. Do you think Filatov is going to want anything but a 1 way contract going into next season if he can get millions in Russia? Doubtful. What team is crazy enough to give that player (as it stands) a 1 way deal.

The Sens will probably qualify him when the time comes but to give him a 1 way deal? No shot.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I thought Butler was playing really well before he scored those goals. He could have had a hat trick if he pots that one late in the first.

Either way, the "energy line" thing is probably the most overblown comment or expectation of a 4th line in hockey. Yah, you have guys like Konopka that fill a role down there and play minimal minutes but it's BS to think offensive guys cant do at least something with the mins they play down there.

Most players in the NHL work their way up from the 4th line when they start, they prove themselves or earn more ice. Just because you're on the 4th line doesn't instantly mean you have to fight, bang bodies none stop, or get down and block shots. Just means you have less ice.
True to an extent, but usually if a franchise sees potential in a player they aren't on the fourth line for long. The third line is used for developing players with talent that just needs polishing.

Butler's play hasn't yet forced MacLean to move Condra off the third line, read into that what you'd like. Butler has to move past Condra, Neil, Alfie and Michalek, he isn't going to take either Condra (key PKer) or Neil's spot realistically, so where does BB go from here?

Similar situation faced Filatov, though I do agree he needs more time to fully develop.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Holdurbreathe

Just tweeted.

Nikita Filatov said he can't talk about #KHL rumors. "No reason," he said. "Just rumors." #Sens #BSens

Old
11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
They are against Russians though.

Also, let me ask people this. Do you think Filatov is going to want anything but a 1 way contract going into next season if he can get millions in Russia? Doubtful. What team is crazy enough to give that player (as it stands) a 1 way deal.

The Sens will probably qualify him when the time comes but to give him a 1 way deal? No shot.
Well the Sens gave out four one-way deals last summer.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Butler had been playing like crap up until about 3 games ago. His work ethic and initiative have improved quite a bit lately, such that he's actually fighting for pucks along the boards and taking the responsibility to create offense upon himself. I doubt he would've won a puck or drawn a penalty in his first 7 games this year.

We need Filatov to go through a similar breakthrough. Scoring in the NHL isn't always a Pavel Bure highlight reel, you have to pay the price with sweat & bruises to score in this league.
Agreed. I also believe it is significantly harder for players to break out playing on the fourth line. Fourth lines don't score that often at the best of times!!

Old
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Sensored

Quote:
This. Its way to early in the season to talk about what Filatov has or hasn't achieved. He will get his chance at the trade deadline when Murray ships out some more veterans like last season. At the end of the season we can talk about whether he earned a one-way or not, don't forget about Karlsson's rookie year. Prospects can change drastically over the course of a year.

That being said, if its true and Filatov is trying to threaten in order to get a spot then he probably won't get an NHL spot. He's played in less than 82 AHL games, he needs to be patient.

Sensored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Indeed and there was good reason too. Filatov, not so much. I would bet anything he doesn't accept a 2 way deal we'll see though. I'm not going to speculate.