HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
I'm switching from Cablevision, there are TERRIBLE. I really would prefer DirecTV, though, to giving money to the devil (Verizon).

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_nick View Post
i wonder if center ice will one day show msg games in HD.
It depends on your Center Ice provider...I have DirecTV and 95% of the games have 2 HD feeds.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Wonder if this is why they are raising my bill $10mo for no explained reason.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
The end, finally, is in sight. And in HD no less.

"Like a home team win in overtime, Verizon, at last, expects to be able to offer its FiOS TV subscribers the channels of the MSG Network in high-definition in the coming weeks.

In September, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that MSG, which until recently had been owned by Cablevision, was out of bounds for refusing to sell Verizon the HD formats of MSG Network's two regional sports channels in the greater New York region. Last week, that decision was upheld by the commission, and a stay of the decision was denied by a federal appeals court.

The HD feeds of both MSG and MSG+ are ultimately expected to be made available to FiOS TV subscribers in New York City and state, northern and central New Jersey, and Connecticut. The two channels will be included in all levels of FiOS TV service packages, except FiOS TV Local.

The company expects the channels to be available in mid-December. The exact channel locations will be determined closer to launch date. FiOS TV already carries MSG and MSG+ in standard definition (SD) format. "

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ver...-hd-2011-11-16

so much for that Thanksgiving date :/
ah well, all I want for Christmas is HD Rangers.

and a cup win.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
Wonder if this is why they are raising my bill $10mo for no explained reason.
verizon is? Where on your bill is that, so when I get home I can look as well

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
The company expects the channels to be available in mid-December
Halleluah....

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM
truebluegoalie

Too bad they won't be offering it outside of the NY metro area, like they do with YES.
I wasn't expecting to get the games in HD on center ice because in comparison to DirectTV FIOS' sucks for sports packages. It would have been nice though to at least be able to catch pre/post games and other specials like Beginnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
It depends on your Center Ice provider...I have DirecTV and 95% of the games have 2 HD feeds.
I switched from DirectTV to FIOS recently and the MLB package was terrible. No more than 3 games in HD a night usually and almost always only 1 feed. I elected not to take the chance with the rangers and didn't order CI for the first time in years. Went with the NHL gamecenter instead and when hooking up my laptop to the HD tv it looks just as good. Only complaint is that it is kind of a pain in the ass to do and I can't switch channels.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Guess another month isn't as bad as not knowing it's going to be on there at all. Can't wait to watch the Ranger games in HD.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
My only concern here is that Cablevision will prolong this by playing hardball in negotiations or does the fact that precedents have been set with Dish, TW, Comcast, etc... mean this concern is unwarranted?
This is my concern as well. Cablevision can very easily now demand $XX per household. They can ask for a ridiculous sum of money that Verizon would never agree to, thus forcing Verizon to once again litigate.

Also, here is offical annoucement from Verizon. Some of the language is vague. I.e. we expect to offer".

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...2011/verizon-f...

I'm still concerned.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
verizon is? Where on your bill is that, so when I get home I can look as well
I got a letter recently, seperate from my bill. Said the price was going up soon, but no specific date.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
This is my concern as well. Cablevision can very easily now demand $XX per household. They can ask for a ridiculous sum of money that Verizon would never agree to, thus forcing Verizon to once again litigate.

Also, here is offical annoucement from Verizon. Some of the language is vague. I.e. we expect to offer".

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...2011/verizon-f...

I'm still concerned.
The FCC mandated that Cablevision charge Verizon similar rates as the other carriers.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
The FCC mandated that Cablevision charge Verizon similar rates as the other carriers.
Thanks for this info. It makes sense that they would.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:59 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
MSG not providing HD to other providers pisses me off so much. I have Center Ice here in Tampa and can't get Rangers games in HD, and I don't have the option to get Cablevision.

I have to watch the Rangers in crappy definition, which is worse than standard def somehow or watch the other team's feed in HD... which isn't always available.

Dolan, you're rich enough. Let me get my HD. I've paid you plenty.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:50 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
MSG not providing HD to other providers pisses me off so much. I have Center Ice here in Tampa and can't get Rangers games in HD, and I don't have the option to get Cablevision.

I have to watch the Rangers in crappy definition, which is worse than standard def somehow or watch the other team's feed in HD... which isn't always available.

Dolan, you're rich enough. Let me get my HD. I've paid you plenty.
That has more do to with your cable provider...I have CI on DirecTV and get nearly every Ranger game in HD.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:26 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
That has more do to with your cable provider...I have CI on DirecTV and get nearly every Ranger game in HD.
Ranger games on MSG with Sam and Joe in HD? Nearly every one?

I only ask because I thought that Dolan wouldn't allow HD broadcasts outside the NY area.

Not that I could get DirecTV anyway. I mean, I could, but I live in FL, where it rains more than you could imagine. Especially in my particular area. In the Summer, I'd have no reception most of the time.

It sucks.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:33 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
just when you thought it was over....

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...s_Decision.php

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
bubba5

Just read something that Cablevision is taking this to Appeals court. Per tvpredictions.com.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:46 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Just read something that Cablevision is taking this to Appeals court.
Post a link because we have no way of verifying if that is new information or re-hashing old information... CV has tried that route already and keep getting stonewalled.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

I only ask because I thought that Dolan wouldn't allow HD broadcasts outside the NY area.

Not that I could get DirecTV anyway. I mean, I could, but I live in FL, where it rains more than you could imagine. Especially in my particular area. In the Summer, I'd have no reception most of the time.

It sucks.
Yeah - even Center Ice on Cablevision only had one game in HD per night. Kinda sucks. Kinda why I switched to Direct TV despite the fact that I live on Long Island.

In any event, it's probably a bandwidth issue for your cable provider. MSG HD is available via Direct TV.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:49 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Just read something that Cablevision is taking this to Appeals court.

Quote:
Cablevision just won't take no for an answer in its fight with the Federal Communications Commssion over the agency's order that Cablevision must offer high definition feeds of its programming to other pay TV services. On Wednesday, Cablevision filed a petition with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in which it asks the court to stay the FCC's order.
http://www.adweek.com/news/televisio...-itself-136590

No reason to think the Second Circuit will decide any differently.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:53 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Here's another article:

Quote:
Cablevision has decided to file suit against the FCC Media Bureau's decision to require its Madison Square Garden subsidiary to make its HD feeds available to Verizon and AT&T. It has asked the Second circuit Court of Appeals to stay the Nov. 25 effective date of making those feeds available per that FCC decision.

The Second Circuit last week refused Cablevision's request to stay the decisions, a request made before the FCC came out with its ruling the following day upholding the Media Bureau. Now that the commission has weighed in upholding the decision, Cablevision is suing it.

"We are pursuing a stay with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals while we seek a review of the Orders," said Cablevision in a statement. "We continue to believe that an unbiased review of the data can only result in one conclusion: that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies. In a highly competitive marketplace like New York, a forced sharing of offerings only deters companies from investing and innovating, which hurts both fair competition and consumers. Verizon and AT&T should be expected to compete based on their products and not by manipulating federal law."
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...gainst_MSG.php

**** you, Dolan.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:05 AM
rangerfan2

So I have to say that I am not all that confident at this point that MSGHD will be available next month. I'm thinking that the 2nd Circuit will grant the stay. I finally read an argument by Cablevision that is compelling enough to at least allow the court to grant the stay.

Quote:
Cablevision argues that it needs to differentiate its MVPD service from that of AT&T and Verizon, since the phone companies can offer the same bundle of services, plus wireless phone service that Cablevision doesn't offer. "Cablevision thus viewed it important to provide at least some channels that the telephone companies cannot," it argues, which is why it did not make the HD feeds of its MSG regional sports net available to AT&T's U-Verse and Verizon's FiOS services.
I personally do not buy it, but I think there is a chance that Cablevision can win, and that's all the court needs to grant the stay.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

If they reverse this decision I'm going to cry.... If you go by what Cv is saying, "people should base their decision on the product" no one would use them. My buddy just got CV in his new home, and I remembered why I switched from them. Every thing from their feed to their guide sucks! And Fios's internet is way faster.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

It sucks.
Nearly every game in HD with the MSG feed, go to the DirecTV website and and look at the CI Schedule to verify...you'll see 2 feeds in HD for almsot every game.

I would check with your neighbors I saw a lot of DirecTV dishes when I was in Florida, I have very rarely lost my signal and we get some pretty bad snowstorms in NH

Old
11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
If they reverse this decision I'm going to cry.... If you go by what Cv is saying, "people should base their decision on the product" no one would use them. My buddy just got CV in his new home, and I remembered why I switched from them. Every thing from their feed to their guide sucks! And Fios's internet is way faster.
Let me clarify. I do not think the court is going to reverse the decision. I think they are more likely than not at this point (and I would be thrilled to be wrong) to grant the stay, prolonging things. Simply by delaying, Dolanvision wins.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote