HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Lucic Hit on Miller Saga continues. Fraser weighs in, Julien Speaks.

Old
11-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Beerz

vCash: 500
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ter-lucic-hit/

NHL GMs pledge to protect goaltenders after Lucic hit

No rules were tabled, but the suggestion seemed to be that the next person to take a run as liberal as the one Lucic took at Miller might not escape without supplemental discipline.

“If anybody does think that it’s a tactic, and a tactic that is a smart gamble on their part, it won’t be,” said Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice president, player safety and hockey operations.

Several general managers, potentially even a majority of those in the room, were said to have been in favour of Lucic receiving more than a two-minute minor for the incident.

“I think that some people in the room felt it should have been a suspension,” Shanahan said. “Some people in the room felt that the right decision was made. Regardless, going forward, certainly the direction and the conversation of the issue was certainly of a heightened sensitivity to the well-being of our goaltenders.”

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
nnynetpotato

IOW,someone put Shanny's job on the line unless he nails the next guy who runs a goalie.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
IOW,someone put Shanny's job on the line unless he nails the next guy who runs a goalie.
Can we wait untit AFTER next meeting between Buffalo and Boston for that?

Last edited by Pass McGass: 11-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass McGass View Post
\
Can we wait untit AFTER next meeting between Buffalo and Boston for that?
Nothing is going to happen next meeting. Teams will be warned.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Minute Major

Time to move on. This chapter is closed.

The second chapter will be wrote at some point this season. It won't be forgot and their will be a time and place where what happened to Miller will be dealt with.

It may not happen next Wednesday. In fact, with Enroth being our only healthy, quality starter, I fully expect next Wednesday's meeting to be quiet.

It will happen at some point in the next five meetings.

Bank on it.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
funkymag77

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Nothing is going to happen next meeting. Teams will be warned.
I expect a very physical game, perhaps sprinkle in some fights. It won't be a circus with the league watching so closely.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymag77 View Post
I expect a very physical game, perhaps sprinkle in some fights. It won't be a circus with the league watching so closely.
That's what I see. A few good fights but no running of goalies or line brawls. Lucic will answer the bell early against Goose or Cody. He'll likely answer the bell again against the other a period later (if Cody's playing, of course). I bet Thornton gets someone to go eventually. Chara will punch people in the back of the head during a few scrums, most of which will be caused by Kaleta. And some random, unexpected fight will take place after a hard play in the corner. Maybe Weber vs. Horton. And that'll be the end of the night.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The second chapter will be wrote at some point this season. It won't be forgot and their will be a time and place where what happened to Miller will be dealt with.
I highly doubt that... unless we happen to win one of our remaining regular season games and people spin it as "look we dealt with it -- on the scoreboard!!!"

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymag77 View Post
If I were the Sabres, I would worry about how they are going to skate with the Bruins, and defeat them. The best thing they can do is frustrate the bruins on the scoreboard.

I don't want to even it up in the regular season, I want to see it even up in the playoffs when it will leave a scar.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:08 PM
jamers

Boston gave Lucic 1st star in their game against the Devils tonight.

He had a 0G, 0A, -1 night.

I have to admit, touché Boston, touché.

-----------

Also, Miller article on NHL.com's side bar thingy:

Quote:
"I don't think you need an all-out donnybrook," Miller said Tuesday. "I think they tried to handle it with the power play and over the course of the night. If they want to get in and scrap I appreciate it. … It's something that a lot has been said about it. These guys in there have my back. I was disappointed in the direction that started to take, where people were talking about how these guys don't have my back.

"My whole job is to help these guys and be there for them, and they're there for me. I was just really disappointed in the direction that started to take. I've been with a bunch of these guys for a very long time. For one incident and one tough stretch of hockey to become what it was, I think is unfair to me and I think it's unfair to the guys in here."
Quote:
"What can you really do? You're going to get a suspension yourself?" Miller said. "Lucic is a tough guy, what are you going to do? Hack him? Spear him? Cheap shot him? Then you're no better than he is. We'll play tough, hard-nosed hockey and we're going to have five more chances to play them. It's not about open season, it's about playing the game the right way and playing it hard. I hope we have the character to go out there and win those games."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601652

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

You know you messed up a decision when Fraser defends the Sabres.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:48 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Time to move on. This chapter is closed.

It may not happen next Wednesday. In fact, with Enroth being our only healthy, quality starter, I fully expect next Wednesday's meeting to be quiet.

It will happen at some point in the next five meetings.

Bank on it.
The next chapter is already here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380505

Quote:
After learning Tuesday that roughly two-thirds of GMs would have preferred to see a suspension in the case, Shanahan acknowledged that his mandate had been altered.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Sabretip

As if there wasn't already enough to despise about the situation:

Quote:
Shanahan's decision is debatable, to say the least. But what's beyond any debate is the unfathomable stupidity of Lucic to go on Boston sports talk radio shortly before the decision was announced and joke about the violent hit.

This was his taking the apparent "high road," according to Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, who in a statement praised Lucic for not responding to Miller's profane comments about the Bruin in the emotional moments following Saturday's game.

Miller's remarks were aired, the goalie suggesting in them that Lucic outweighed him by 50 pounds. Lucic disagreed through a laugh, saying it's more like 60 pounds. Hilarious.
Quote:
Gaustad said that he and the Sabres had spoken directly to Miller about the team's meek reply to Lucic's hit.

"I told Ryan it's not going to happen again," he said. "I apologized. I stand behind Ryan 100 per cent and so does this team. He understands hockey and that we're behind him just as we're behind Jhonas or anybody in this locker room. We're going to move on and be a better team because of it."
Quote:
"There are codes in hockey. One was broken (Saturday) and honestly we broke one as well. We didn't protect our goaltender the way we should."
Quote:
Let's make this old-time table hockey and be done with it. Shove a steel rod up the back of the obedient netminder's pants and have someone from league operations sit behind the net and slide him from post to post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...472/story.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Ray Shero at the NHL GM meetings today:

"I'm not talking about plays around the crease because there is going to be incidental contact," Penguins GM Ray Shero said. "But we're talking about a regular-season game with the incident with Lucic and Ryan Miller. If you get into a playoff series and these guys are going to play pucks and you run (goalies) over and get a two-minute penalty, I think you're going to open up a set of pretty dangerous circumstances."
Absolutely this. If back in the Hasek days, teams could run Hasek like Lucic ran miller and only receive two minutes? It would have been open season. And Hasek went out of the net ALOT more than Miller ever did

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Apparently your Conn Smythe trophy winning goaltender doesn't agree with your assessment.

“I will say that as a goalie, you’re not really prepared for people to hit you in a situation like that,” Thomas said. “You’ve been trained over the course of your whole career [to believe] you’re not going to get hit in situations like that. It must have taken him by surprise.”

Strange.

If it were a Buffalo player running Thomas like that, he'd be singing a different tune. Much different. He's defending a teammate.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:58 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Quote:
Apparently your Conn Smythe trophy winning goaltender doesn't agree with your assessment.

“I will say that as a goalie, you’re not really prepared for people to hit you in a situation like that,” Thomas said. “You’ve been trained over the course of your whole career [to believe] you’re not going to get hit in situations like that. It must have taken him by surprise.”
If it were a Buffalo player running Thomas like that, he'd be singing a different tune. Much different. He's defending a teammate.
I don't get htat from what he's saying. He's passively agreeing that Miller and the Sabres should be mad about the hit.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:46 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I don't get htat from what he's saying. He's passively agreeing that Miller and the Sabres should be mad about the hit.
I have tickets for the Feb 8th game. I'm sitting right behind the Bruins bench. I hope the Sabres win 5-0. Miller gets a shut out. Gaustad beats the snot out of Lucic. McCormick beats the snot out of Lucic. Kaleta beats the snot out of Chara. Also would love to see Kaleta take a charging penalty at Thomas. That right there would be the best day of my life in hockey. I cant wait Feb. 8th baby. I knew I was doing something right when I picked that game out 2 months ago. Lets Go Buffalo!!!

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
HockeyTerror

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
I have tickets for the Feb 8th game. I'm sitting right behind the Bruins bench. I hope the Sabres win 5-0. Miller gets a shut out. Gaustad beats the snot out of Lucic. McCormick beats the snot out of Lucic. Kaleta beats the snot out of Chara. Also would love to see Kaleta take a charging penalty at Thomas. That right there would be the best day of my life in hockey. I cant wait Feb. 8th baby. I knew I was doing something right when I picked that game out 2 months ago. Lets Go Buffalo!!!
You are in for a BIG dissappointment. There is almost a 0% chance any of that will happen. It won't even happen next week, only 12 days removed from the "charge felt 'round the world", much less 3 months later.

Last edited by HockeyTerror: 11-16-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added a space
HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:29 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTerror View Post
You are in for a BIG dissappointment. There is almost a 0% chance any of that will happen. It won't even happen next week, only 12 days removed from the "charge felt 'round the world", much less 3 months later.
I'm hoping the old Ruff shows up. I hope he tells his players to go out there like he did with Peters, Goose, and Mair against the Senators. Buffalo i thought ws a blue collar city that did't take any crapola from nobody. This Mr. Softee play has to be left behind in that last game against the Goonie Bruins. Kaleta needs to go out there and make a statement for us Buffalonians and his team. This man Lucic needs to get what he deserves. That would Be Kaleta knocking his head with a clean check, or a punch to the fache clean. Who would you say the toughest Sabre is on the roster rght now? Who ever it is needs to fight this guy clean and take him out. I prefer Kaleta.

This wise crack stuff that Lucic is saying on his radio station has to be dealt with also. What am I 60 lbs. heavier then Miller hahaha . Funny guy. What I would do just to see Kaleta make a HIT on Lucic like the Brian Campbell hit on Umberger. That would be soooo sweet.

Last edited by AlexanderMogilny89: 11-16-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Whammer

I was listening to WGR this morning and they played this clip before Roby came on the air. Just listen to Roby! This is what should've happened Saturday.

http://youtu.be/LCCjuhIuUFE

I suck at adding YouTube videos

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
I'm hoping the old Ruff shows up. I hope he tells his players to go out there like he did with Peters, Goose, and Mair against the Senators.
When Lindy was on WGR yesterday, I heard his response to the question about that was akin to "You guys know me and you know what I want my team to do."

He also talked about knowing when to take the PP and when to address things then and there.

It sounded like Ruff felt that was a "address it then and there" moment and the team did not respond like he expected them to.

I can't dig up the link, but my guess is that WGR550.com has the audio archive of the interview.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
When Lindy was on WGR yesterday, I heard his response to the question about that was akin to "You guys know me and you know what I want my team to do."

He also talked about knowing when to take the PP and when to address things then and there.

It sounded like Ruff felt that was a "address it then and there" moment and the team did not respond like he expected them to.

I can't dig up the link, but my guess is that WGR550.com has the audio archive of the interview.
At that point they were up 1-0 they should have taken the retaliation penalty.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
At that point they were up 1-0 they should have taken the retaliation penalty.
Did anyone else notice when Goose went to get involved in the crowd of players and go after Lucic. Goose turned his head and seen Chara. When he seen Chara it seemed all the anger left his body. He seemed as if he was scared of Chara. Did anyone else see this? Goose realizing Chara was behind him so he didn't get involved like he should of? I wish we had a Peters type on our team again.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380610

Quote:
I'm in Edmonton right now with Hall of Fame goalie Billy Smith. From an 'old time' hockey perspective, which I don't advocate, you might find Smitty's take on the play
interesting.

When I asked the four-time Stanley Cup Champion (and best clutch playoff goalie I ever saw) how he would have reacted to a hit like Lucic put on Miller the fearsome goalie replied, "Lucic would have never gotten me. I would have taken him out at the knees!"

I can tell you if by some slim chance Smitty had been caught off guard, the stick would not have been swung from the seat of his pants to a protected area of his adversary. A match penalty would have resulted with a goal stick that would have broken on impact to a well placed location. This might have occurred prior to or during the brawl that would have resulted.

Thank heavens that 'old time' hockey is just a memory for some of us. This is just one of the reasons why it is not appropriate to hit a goalkeeper in modern day. Contact with them, whether in or out of the goal crease, must be avoided at all costs.

Failing this, the cost to a player (as in the Lucic situation) must result in loss of pay for a minimum of two games and a seat in the press box. That is the message that must be sent.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote