HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Moves the Isles should make

Old
11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Moves the Isles should make

Title says it all. If the Isles hope to turn it around I think these realistic moves could be made and would actually benefit the team rather than continue on it's mediocre path.

Move 1: Bailey for Turris. Let's face it both are disapointing. Bailey isn't working out and Maloney/Turris' dealings are pretty much done. Talk to Maloney and see if a swap can be worked out and hopefully it'll light a bit of a fire under Turris. He's disapointing but at least he can play center in all 3 zones and not be a liability.

Move 2: Acquire Tomas Kaberle from Carolina. This won't happen because like I said Wang is cheap and Snow sucks. But if they are that sick of him let's see if he can be brought in on the cheap to play a 4-5 d-man role and work the power play. I know people here will complain about his salary but let's face it the breakout sucks and there is no transition game which hurts the squad. Don't know what value is but it's doable.

Move 3: Acquire Franson or Komi from Toronto. This will help the d. As much complaining as people do about komi he has some snarl and plays a tough mean game. I believe both these players can be had at not a steep price(Comeau + mid pick?) and will help the D.

Streit-Komi/Franson
Hamonic-AMAC
Kaberle-Staios
Jurcina

Motteau/Eaton either waived or is possible included in deal(maybe Eaton but doubtful for Motteau).

Not saying it's a fantastic D but it'll help a lot because the Isles D-zone coverage is pathetic. Plus if Turris turns it around the Isles have a nice player and if not it's an even trade for Bailey.

Flame away but I think this is the most reasonable we could ask for right now. But like it won't happen because management blows goats(literally, not figuratively).

Last edited by Brunomics: 11-16-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
xECK29x

I would do any of those moves.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Title says it all. If the Isles hope to turn it around I think these realistic moves could be made and would actually benefit the team rather than continue on it's mediocre path.

Move 1: Bailey for Turris. Let's face it both are disapointing. Bailey isn't working out and Maloney/Turris' dealings are pretty much done. Talk to Maloney and see if a swap can be worked out and hopefully it'll light a bit of a fire under Turris. He's disapointing but at least he can play center in all 3 zones and not be a liability.

Move 2: Acquire Tomas Kaberle from Carolina. This won't happen because like I said Wang is cheap and Snow sucks. But if they are that sick of him let's see if he can be brought in on the cheap to play a 4-5 d-man role and work the power play. I know people here will complain about his salary but let's face it the breakout sucks and there is no transition game which hurts the squad. Don't know what value is but it's doable.

Move 3: Acquire Franson or Komi from Toronto. This will help the d. As much complaining as people do about komi he has some snarl and plays a tough mean game. I believe both these players can be had at not a steep price(Comeau + mid pick?) and will help the D.

Streit-Komi/Franson
Hamonic-AMAC
Kaberle-Staios
Jurcina

Motteau/Eaton either waived or is possible included in deal(maybe Eaton but doubtful for Motteau).

Not saying it's a fantastic D but it'll help a lot because the Isles D-zone coverage is pathetic. Plus if Turris turns it around the Isles have a nice player and if not it's an even trade for Bailey.

Flame away but I think this is the most reasonable we could ask for right now. But like it won't happen because management blows goats(literally, not figuratively).
Bailey will be impossible to trade at this time and even tougher at the deadline. He's having trouble producing on a near-last-place team. Because he's not waiver-exempt anymore, the team acquiring him would have to have room on the NHL roster and I don't see another team that Bailey can make right now.

So if he's traded to Toronto for Franson, Bailey has to play on the Leafs or be sent down. If he's sent down, the Leafs may lose him for nothing....so it's a tough situation. The reality is, Bailey is a good hockey player who's not producing offense. Sure, he had a bad game against the NYR but he really hasn't had many bad games (or good games for that matter). Bailey will not help this team this year, nor any other team this year. He's a non-factor. He hasn't been an important player on a winning team ever while with the Islanders as an 18 year old.

So let's forget the trading of Bailey for Turris or anyone else. Because I don't think it'll happen. Possibly in the off-season but I'm not holding my breath and I certainly don't believe the NYi will get a return of any significance. Talk about selling-low!

This also applies to Comeau and Okposo.

Komisarek has played much better this year. As bad as he's been since signing as a free agent, he'd still be a #4 dman on this NYI team. So would Franson. So would Wade Redden, Sheldon Souray. Kaberle might be a #2 dman on this team, even at his worst.

The time to take on salary to improve your team was in the off-season. Teams have budgets, their salary cap in manageable in-season, NO TEAM is going to move an effective NHL player to save money after the cap/budget is in place. Teams want to WIN, not save money that's already budgeted for. It's absurd.

Snow believed that a healthy Okposo and Streit, an emerging Tavares, Grabner scoring like he did last year and steady goaltending and team health would push this team forward.

He was dead wrong.

This is a few years running now.

In ANY OTHER JOB, there would be consequences, there would be accountability.

Not here.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Get Zenon Knopka for a 7th round pick....

Does this team need a guy like him back in the locker room to spark some life. I am not saying Z would bring us the cup but look at what Avery has done with the Rangers since coming back.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post

Streit-Komi/Franson
Hamonic-AMAC
Kaberle-Staios
Jurcina

I highly doubt you get turris for Baily. you would most likely have to give more IMO. not alot more but more. maybe a 3rd. However i do not think this solves any problem.

Thomas k
Is not going to be anything worth while here. he is just not good IMO.

The last moves you suggest i could get on board with. Do we think Blake plus a pick is enough ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
LAPPY13

Snow is going to **** on his ass and do ****! Like he always does!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Snow wont do anything because him and Wang both suck balls. he will just come out and say "I have faith in the guys in our room and when they play 60 minutes of hockey they can beat anyone". Keep waiting for that ****ing day you *******.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Does this team need a guy like him back in the locker room to spark some life. I am not saying Z would bring us the cup but look at what Avery has done with the Rangers since coming back.
We can get that with Michael Haley.

Kaberle for Mottau and a 3rd rounder is a no brainer, as Carolina needs to shed salary.

I would waive Pandolfo because we can....

Bailey we are stuck with.

Grabner/JT/Moulson
Parenteau/Nielsen/Nino
Comeau/Ullstrom/Okposo
Martin/Bailey/Haley

Streit/Kaberle
Amac/Hamonic
Staios/De Haan

I would find a way to lose Jurcina, Eaton, Reasoner, Pandolfo and Rolston... I am thinking the team will be more fun to watch this way and we either get hot and make a run or more likely drop into the lottery

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
LAPPY13

It hurts to say it but Wang-snow are lost and the season is already over! Pure and simple.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:03 PM
gramatanboy

I agree with bringing up Ulstrom and Haley and waiving or trading if possible the players that you mentioned. Unfortunately, Snow won't do this until the trade deadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
We can get that with Michael Haley.

Kaberle for Mottau and a 3rd rounder is a no brainer, as Carolina needs to shed salary.

I would waive Pandolfo because we can....

Bailey we are stuck with.

Grabner/JT/Moulson
Parenteau/Nielsen/Nino
Comeau/Ullstrom/Okposo
Martin/Bailey/Haley

Streit/Kaberle
Amac/Hamonic
Staios/De Haan

I would find a way to lose Jurcina, Eaton, Reasoner, Pandolfo and Rolston... I am thinking the team will be more fun to watch this way and we either get hot and make a run or more likely drop into the lottery

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
gramatanboy

As painful as it is to admit, you are exactly right!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
It hurts to say it but Wang-snow are lost and the season is already over! Pure and simple.

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
If they do nothing over the next 24 hrs you are 100% correct. I like the OP's proposals. That being said, this last several weeks may be more depressing than any point over the rebuild IMO. Okposo's collapse (and new contract) is deadly to the rebuild effort. Even if you didn't believe Comeau and Bailey were part of the finished product, their collapse (and lack of trade value) hurt too.

Regardless of whether we start scoring (we will pick up the pace I am sure) our bottom 3 d-men make a playoff spot an impossibility. For that, Snow should take full blame (on a related note, how are the Rags waiver wire D-men so much better than Isles?)

This is all just real depressing because not only does this season appear lost, but out once very bright future looks a lot dimmer.

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Why does Carolina need to shed salary? They almost have as much cap space as the Islanders.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
leaponover

I still say, geez if you can't get Kaberle because he is stuck in Carolina or they don't want to move him fine... there is still that nagging little problem our arch enemies have wasting away in the minors. Why not take that little brat off their hands if salary isn't an issue? Unfortunately it probably is at this point because Snow is deadset on not wasting money and his salary would definitely be considered a waste even though he would be a step up from Mottau/Staois.

For those who don't know who i'm talking about here is a hint:

Watching Bailey flounder around the ice and not put in effort gets me Redden the face.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:11 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Snow wont do anything because him and Wang both suck balls. he will just come out and say "I have faith in the guys in our room and when they play 60 minutes of hockey they can beat anyone". Keep waiting for that ****ing day you *******.
and the truth is, he's right.

but that's true of every team in hockey. The problem is, good teams play these "60 minutes" MORE THAN bad teams.

The real question is, "are these players good enough to be able to play 60 minutes of hockey" ?

It's really hard to play effective for 60 minutes. It's exponentially harder when your team is made of player who either:

- have NEVER developed into consistent, effective, 60min players at the NHL level

- are very consistent and experienced, but are too old, too slow, too small or all of the three

---
So, in essence, the team HE HAS BUILT is INCAPABLE of playing in a way that will result in more wins than losses.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

A big yes.

Our defense can play - but the entire team is lost. A big shakeup would be nice but the reality is we have guys that very well CAN produce but do not. We have guys who ARE producing but are getting beaten up and exhausted. We have three goalies and thus a circus behind the bench.

I would suggest something else, but with Wanger, despite my liking of Capuano, our only solution would be to grab Zenon, make a permanent place for Haley and get rid of our second best goalie, AND THEN, hire a new coach who plays to win.

I don't care if we don't get a kiddy pool coach for the rebuild. I want a guy who knows how to win with vets or kids or whomever (Ted Nolan, the guy who had Comeau and Okposo playing the best hockey of their careers sound familiar???). I look at Hartley. I look at Nolan. I look at whoever has the huevos to stand up to garth and Wang first. Will it get them fired? Probably, but I'm more interested in getting the kids and vets alike to WIN, and Winning is a sour cup of **** our GM and owner will have to drink if we find the right guy, EVEN IF IT CHALLENGES THE ORGANIZATION'S HEIRARCHY!

So, I think the solution is to set an implosive device in the coach's chair because we are not changing owners and we are not gonna see Snow exiled.

So bring in someone who wants to win at all costs and F Wang's sensibilities. If Snow has an issue with 39 not starting (puppet strings are pulled from above) I want what Nolan gave without the part where Nolan caved when it hit the press.

The team's players deserve to have a winning attitude fostered in the lockerroom so they can at least pretend someone cares about winning.

I expect a rebuttal where we need a coach who can coach kids. That's BS. The kids will benefit from fighting for playing time like they do on 29 other clubs. That said, we have an overwhelming portion of our fanbase who wanted Nino on line 1 from the start, so it's not gonna be a popular notion bringing in winning.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Redden
Sorry, but that's just silly and rash. Make a move, sure... but at least be semi-sane about it.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Why does Carolina need to shed salary? They almost have as much cap space as the Islanders.
I have read it in numerous sources that his contract is bad and they want him out.
Tomas Kaberle can't seem to get stay out of Rumor Central. It looks like the Carolina Hurricanes are trying to trade Tomas Kaberle -- in fact, they are "desperate" to move him, according to the News and Observer's Luke DeCock. But he thinks, in order to get rid of his $4.25 million cap hit until 2014, they'll have to take back some salary -- "like back end of a front-loaded contract from cap team."

If you'll remember, Kaberle was all over the rumor mill the past few years as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, until he was finally dealt last season to the Boston Bruins -- where he didn't perform up to expectations. This time around, it might be even tougher to move him and get something of value in return.

On a side not it is mentioned that Toronto might have interest in Nabokov for either Gunnarsson or Fransen.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
islandermike

They need a 2nd line center in the worst way, maybe rolling dice on Gomez although i am not sure how many years he has on contract. Neilsen is suited more to a 3rd line role and Reasoner can play on 4th line. They also need a top 4 D-man but not sure any are available, i don't want Kaberle or Komisarek although if i had to pick one i rather have Komisarek because of size and toughness.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
(Ted Nolan, the guy who had Comeau and Okposo playing the best hockey of their careers sound familiar???).
Not saying that Nolan is a bad coach (he isn't a good one either), but Okposo hardly played with Nolan (9 games). Comeau probably benefited from getting tough love from Nolan, but he didn't play his best hockey under him either.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
They need a 2nd line center in the worst way, maybe rolling dice on Gomez although i am not sure how many years he has on contract. Neilsen is suited more to a 3rd line role and Reasoner can play on 4th line. They also need a top 4 D-man but not sure any are available, i don't want Kaberle or Komisarek although if i had to pick one i rather have Komisarek because of size and toughness.

They need a top pairing defenseman and 2 bottom pairing defensmen in the worst way... The play in the defensive zone is a joke. The Isles have no break out and no transition game. All starts and ends with defense. Our defense is dragging the offense down.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Not saying that Nolan is a bad coach (he isn't a good one either), but Okposo hardly played with Nolan (9 games). Comeau probably benefited from getting tough love from Nolan, but he didn't play his best hockey under him either.
Comeau is such an overrated player, probably should have tried to move him off the 24 goal year last year because i don't believe he will ever get to that level ever again. I think to some extent we have overrated Okposo also, he always seemed to put effort in which always made him more valuable then Comeau but even his effort has fallen off this year. The pressbox excursion for Comeau didn't really do much to inspire him hopefully it inspires Okposo when he gets back in lineup.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
They need a top pairing defenseman and 2 bottom pairing defensmen in the worst way... The play in the defensive zone is a joke. The Isles have no break out and no transition game. All starts and ends with defense. Our defense is dragging the offense down.
The problem is we have young D(Dehann, Ness and Donovan) who are all puck moving D, they aren't ready yet which puts us in bind as far as aquiring a guy for now. Kaberle would tie up payroll and a spot when the above mentioned group is ready, i really think we are going to see one of them before long in hopes they go the same development track as Hamonic.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
StrongIslanders90

Okposo Bailey Comaeu Donavon Koskinen and 13' first for Nash and Brassard.....

Moulson-JT-Nash
Grabner-Brassard-Nino......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I dunno if you're going by stats or what, but both were hitting and looked solid in the offensive and defensive aspects of their games.

Comeau looked good in stints under Cappy, and put up solid totals (his best offensive output was under Cappy in other words), but his all around game was more established way back when. Okposo never hit as much as he did in that small sampling as well.

But hey, We had the systems schmuck derail them both, and Cappy had a brief stint with Kyle where I thought he was improved over the two prior years, but I don't believe he played with the edge he did in the beginning.

So, we'll just disagree. In a Trottier-esque rating of their reespective games, they were both more impressive in my view back then compared to the recent versions.

I don't want either traded BTW. You don't throw out the lobsters because the chef and owner and manager have no idea how they should be prepared. (for one, stop serving them with Spam)

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote