HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean "Ovechkin" Avery

Old
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
ecemleafs

vCash: 500
more like Alex "Avery" Ovechkin

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Kind of Blue

Being right is awesome.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
trilobyte

When you see his shot on that goal, it wasn't breaking any sound barriers. But he just got rid of it fast before Nabokov could set up. Basic and smart hockey. Avery making a difference.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
stan the caddy

But Sean Avery only scored three goals last year...

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Avery has been great since he's been back. Anyone who thinks that he hasn't earned the ice time he's been getting is blind or just a plain hater.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I said all summer that his shooting percentage would return to a more normal level and that with regular minutes, he'd be good for 10 or 12 goals. We're obviously a long way from that point, but the early returns are encouraging.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:23 AM
chip chipperson*

where are the haters with all the offsides and penalty jokes?

averys been awesome.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
where are the haters with all the offsides and penalty jokes?

averys been awesome.
Let me preface this by saying Avery has looked good the past few games and I wish the guy well.

However, with Sean the past few years, it has not been about having a couple of good games in a row, its about consistency over a long stretch. He used to have a couple good games and then a couple of crappy games. Hopefully he has sorted that out but it's too early to be saying "I told you so".

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Let me preface this by saying Avery has looked good the past few games and I wish the guy well.

However, with Sean the past few years, it has not been about having a couple of good games in a row, its about consistency over a long stretch. He used to have a couple good games and then a couple of crappy games. Hopefully he has sorted that out but it's too early to be saying "I told you so".
you seem to be talking about production. i however am talking about being offsides and taking penalties. and by taking penalties i mean making the team shorthanded. this is something haters quickly ran too and beat to death.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:08 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
you seem to be talking about production. i however am talking about being offsides and taking penalties. and by taking penalties i mean making the team shorthanded. this is something haters quickly ran too and beat to death.
Sorry, I was more just joining in at the end of the conversation that was happening in the thread. Not totally directed at you.

Either way, it's still a little early to say he has turned the corner due to his past inconsistencies.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
haveandare

He's a distraction. He has no skill. All he does is take penalties. He can't make a difference in a game. EC deserves minutes over him...

Fire up the BBQ, I'll start marinating the crow.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:59 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
He's a distraction. He has no skill. All he does is take penalties. He can't make a difference in a game. EC deserves minutes over him...

Fire up the BBQ, I'll start marinating the crow.
avery's been pretty solid since the call up and has obviouslly helped by putting the puck in the net...glad to see it

personally, my beef with him has always been consistancy....Avery is great for sparking a dull team and playing good for a few games at a clip, but tends to become useless and ineffective after a few games

however, if he can remain a solid contributer (controling the puck, staying out of the box, playing physical, playing smart) for an extended period of time i'll gladdy eat a double order of crow, well done

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
avery's been pretty solid since the call up and has obviouslly helped by putting the puck in the net...glad to see it

personally, my beef with him has always been consistancy....Avery is great for sparking a dull team and playing good for a few games at a clip, but tends to become useless and ineffective after a few games

however, if he can remain a solid contributer (controling the puck, staying out of the box, playing physical, playing smart) for an extended period of time i'll gladdy eat a double order of crow, well done
Put me in this camp. But he is definitely looking like he "gets" it.

Is it possible that Torts got through to him by sending him down? Is it even remotely possible that a bit of coaching and "tough love" had some benefit and that Avery is actually better for it? Maybe? just a little?

I was all for him staying in hartford, just to be done with the experiment. If he keeps playing this way, he is welcome on my team any day. I like the guy. Clearly Torts is rewarding him with minutes too.

Hoping he keeps it up.

11-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
He isn't, Dubi is. And I'm not a flagwaver of either player, it's just a fact.

Brad Richards has great passing ability. Avery can pass well for a bottom 6 forward. Let's not get too extreme with descriptive terms here.
I dont think that is being extreme. For a Bottom 6 forward Avery is a way above average passer. As a top 6 forward he is a slightly above average passer.

I don't have the time to find the quote but Jagr said of Avery (a few years back) that Avery has the talent to be a 20-25 goalscorer and 30-35 assist guy in this league.

Coming from what is possibly one of the top 10 hockey talents to ever play the game that says alot IMO.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sorry, I was more just joining in at the end of the conversation that was happening in the thread. Not totally directed at you.

Either way, it's still a little early to say he has turned the corner due to his past inconsistencies.
I think you are absolutely right that it is too early to say he has turned the corner. BUT, if he has, it is absolutely huge for the Rangers and I do mean huge and I don't think that is over stating it.

Last night against the Islanders and in the Carolina game we all saw how effective Avery can be away from the puck. Regardless of whether he is scoring goals, as long as Avery is proficient at doing what he does best (agitating) and is not being a detriment as far as taking too many stupid penalties or drawing negative attention to himself and the team, then Avery is one of the few players who can still be considered a success in this league.

If Avery can do the above and bring back his offensive game which I do believe he has the skill and tenacity to do it will be huge for the NYR. Not only will Avery be drawing penalties to put the Rangers on the power play he can become a somewhat significant part of the offense giving us a great third line threat. Not to mention he is a complete enough of a player to fill in on the second line if needed.

Lets not forget his best year with 15 goals and 18 assists in only 57 games which pro-rates to 47.5 points over a full year was when he was getting extended time playing on the top line with Jagr. We may not have a Jagr but we do have a Richards and Gaborik.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Is it even remotely possible that a bit of coaching and "tough love" had some benefit and that Avery is actually better for it? Maybe? just a little?
Nope, Torts was just wrong on this one.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:22 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Put me in this camp. But he is definitely looking like he "gets" it.

Is it possible that Torts got through to him by sending him down? Is it even remotely possible that a bit of coaching and "tough love" had some benefit and that Avery is actually better for it? Maybe? just a little?

I was all for him staying in hartford, just to be done with the experiment. If he keeps playing this way, he is welcome on my team any day. I like the guy. Clearly Torts is rewarding him with minutes too.

Hoping he keeps it up.
LMAO!!!

Is it possible that Avery's just a good hockey player that produces when given proper minutes?

Sean Avery didn't need 'tough love'. Everyone who watched him in preseason saw him play hard. Tortsy sent him down because of his personal bias against the guy and now he looks like a moron.

Torts is only 'rewarding' him with minutes because he absolutely has to. Against Carolina Sean had to score a goal on his first or second shift to get his minutes. He still finished with the third lowest TOI.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Sean Avery has as many goals in 5 games as Christensten and Boyle in their 30 combined games. Just sayin.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

not even remotely huh?

k

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
When he sent him down, he was flying on the ice. He was working and skating very hard. The Avery before being sent down looked exactly like this. If it happened last season when Avery was invisible and he came back playing balls to the walls, you'd have a point. In any case, he's not going to continue scoring. But if he continues skating that hard, whatever line he is on will be much more effective than it was before he got there.

I thought he looked great with Richards. That was the first time I've seen Richards being a threat on every single shift he was on the ice all season long. It was very odd when Torts broke that up. You don't see that happen too often. It ended working out great. But still, if Richards doesn't ended up clicking with Callahan and Dubinsky on a longer term, that presents and interesting option. That was Richards best game by far.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Of our forwards he has outscored goal-wise.

Dubinsky
Anisimov
Christensen
Rupp
Boyle
Fedetenko

We've been winning so i don't want to complain to much, but some of these guys need to get going. Namely Dubi and Anisimov (who have both looked better during the stretch.)

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sean Avery has as many goals in 5 games as Christensten and Boyle in their 30 combined games. Just sayin.
Not to sidetrack this thread but how many more times do we have to see EC fail at the side of the net on the cross-crease pass on the PP

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:

Which of our players does NOT do that? Hank, Gabs, Dubinsky, Boyle, Prust, et al--they all have bad games. The only one you MIGHT be able to argue didn't have off nights was Callahan, but I'm sure if we checked the tape he had some crap nights too.

Heck, which player in the entire league does not do that?

Why is it that the Avery bashers on this board only see it in him?

Last edited by Matteau Matteau: 11-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
But Sean Avery only scored three goals last year...
He was snake-bitten last year. Still played well though. Dubi led the team with 30 assists, Sean had 21.

I'm still annoyed by Torts sending him down in the first place and saying "we have better players than him".

Torts is not a nice man. After all Avery has done for this team, he has to ***** slap him like that. He could have said, so many other things,... he needs more conditioning or fine tune his game, we have an abundance of good players but no...

I'm glad Avery is back, and making a fool of Torts.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Which of our players does NOT do that? None. Which player in the entire league does not do that?

Why is it that the Avery bashers on this board only see it in him?
Dubinsky haters see it in Dubinsky. Gaborik haters see it in Gaborik. Anisimov haters see it in Anisimov. Callahan haters (as few as there are) see it in Callahan. Richards haters (the future ones) will see that in Richards. etc. etc. etc.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote