HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Internet pricing ruling expected today from CRTC

Old
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
No windmobile store where I live.

Also no coverage.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Canada has the worst Internet and cell phone service of all western countries. We pay a **** load for nothing, mainly because of no competition.
But it's a Canadian industry, eh!

On a more serious note - I'd like to see what we get out of the CRTC basically sheltering the industry...

I mean we need economists and people to look at this and tell us how many jobs are being 'saved' for Canadians because of this practice.

Or other people to explain why Bell/Rogers/Telus and all the other players in Canada - would suddenly fail if others were allowed to enter the market.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Dick Whitman

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technol...502/story.html

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

It's all Greek to me but the word markup is quite prominent in the decision. It's in almost every second paragraph. Rogers and Bell will feign unhappiness all the while drooling over the new found ducats that are certain to fall in their laps.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
gmyx

Read the decision (not the tariffs part) on the way home tonight. UBB to an independent ISP is dead.

Basically, the ruling says capacity (mbps) and flat rate are the allowable billing terms to independent ISPs. It's more complex than that (fees, tiers, and stuff) but that is the important details. Independent ISP basically cannot be hand-cuffed by Bell and company. They buy based on peak need (95% model) and by users. No monthly data limits, just speeds.

Unless I missed something, this does not affect UBB to the consumer by Bell and company. They can still do that part but can't do that to independents.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I've been thinking it over and I think this means a modest increase in prices with DSL-based ISPs but it does protect the ability of ISPs to offer very high or unlimited caps. On the cable side things are pretty decent with the best gains in Quebec where videotron's chokehold on bandwidth is effectively over.

In the west things are pretty decent with flat-rate and Shaw being pretty good to begin with.

In Ontario things are pretty much the same as they were.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:14 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
But it's a Canadian industry, eh!

On a more serious note - I'd like to see what we get out of the CRTC basically sheltering the industry...

I mean we need economists and people to look at this and tell us how many jobs are being 'saved' for Canadians because of this practice.

Or other people to explain why Bell/Rogers/Telus and all the other players in Canada - would suddenly fail if others were allowed to enter the market.
Even if we did let other companys into the country more then likely they would be the same as others we would not get every channelt hats in the staes etc even americans don't get channels such as cbc and tsn.

Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 11-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.
wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Yet the government always talks about how they don't allow Monopolies.. but nobody will ever stop the Big Three...

In ottawa if you want cable.. you can only get Rogers.. They make you pay out the ass for bare minimum services.. I pay nearly 300$ a month for Cable,Internet and Cellphone from Rogers and as a student.. It's getting pretty hard to manage ontop of other living expenses
Been there brother so I feel your pain. What I do is complain to Rogers about their costs and they will provide discounts.

For example I saw on their website that they offer a free HD PVR to any client that switches over from Bell. My argument is that why is a new client more valuable than a client that has been with Rogers for over ten years? Result, they waive the $25/month PVR rental charge.

I complained that they charge too much for internet service. Result, they bump me up to the next level of service for the same price I am currently paying.

I also complained that they charge too much for the cable TV service. They didnt do too much for me here but did bump me up to the next level of service.

The point is you, as the consumer have too ask for discounts and play between Bell and Rogers. Threaten to switch providers and they will put you through to the customer retention dept.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
So the Tekksavy dude says that this decision will end up driving up prices for ISP.

I myself have Rogers for internet only (I use a pre paid phone and don't watch TV) and paying 35/month for internet and while I do go over my limit every now and then (damn you Steam!!) I have no complaints whatsoever.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Canada has the worst Internet and cell phone service of all western countries. We pay a **** load for nothing, mainly because of no competition.
Clearly you've never been to Germany, Poland, Austria, or the Czech Rep... HERE it's awful... 2x worse / more expensive.

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote