Old
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
More General Stars Talk

First Thread

Part Deux.

Last edited by piqued: 01-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old
11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
vofty

So with the closed post you got it 1,001

Old
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

1,000 replies though!

Old
11-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Bennrocks

We need to set lobo up and bomb like 20 replies at the end of this one

Old
11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
BigG44

I could be crazy because of fond memories of Nik Hagman ....

I wish the ownership thing wasn't going to take another week so Dallas could claim him on waivers.

I think he's pretty clearly a better option than Petersen or Barch. However, I would think it could be very difficult to sit down Dowell or Wandell. I think they've both played well. Still, I think Hagman would be a shorthanded threat on the PK and provide some offense as well in the Bottom 6.

It's not going to happen, but he'd only cost the Stars $2,400,000. Plus, if he cleared waivers, was not put in the minors right away, and then traded to Dallas for Barch, it would only cost Dallas $1.72 million.

I think Calgary would do that because they could wave Barch to go to the minors and also save $1.72 million.

You could end up with:

Eriksson-Benn-Ryder
Morrow-Ribeiro-Ott
Nystrom-Fiddler-Dvorak
Hagman-Wandell-Burish

IDK ... I just know I'd really love to see it.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:06 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I could be crazy because of fond memories of Nik Hagman ....

I wish the ownership thing wasn't going to take another week so Dallas could claim him on waivers.

I think he's pretty clearly a better option than Petersen or Barch. However, I would think it could be very difficult to sit down Dowell or Wandell. I think they've both played well. Still, I think Hagman would be a shorthanded threat on the PK and provide some offense as well in the Bottom 6.

It's not going to happen, but he'd only cost the Stars $2,400,000. Plus, if he cleared waivers, was not put in the minors right away, and then traded to Dallas for Barch, it would only cost Dallas $1.72 million.

I think Calgary would do that because they could wave Barch to go to the minors and also save $1.72 million.

You could end up with:

Eriksson-Benn-Ryder
Morrow-Ribeiro-Ott
Nystrom-Fiddler-Dvorak
Hagman-Wandell-Burish

IDK ... I just know I'd really love to see it.
I like Hagman. Never liked letting him go. I was at that game when he scored that goal too. Above the goal line on the side he was on when he scored. Looked even cooler in real life.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Our All-Star ballot selections this year actually make it seem like someone was watching the team for a change.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Our All-Star ballot selections this year actually make it seem like someone was watching the team for a change.
Ha I saw that and thought it's about time it's the players who would actually deserve consideration.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:55 AM
WhoahNow

I don't think Ribeiro really deserves a spot so far, but who knows he may be able to turn it on before the game. I'd like to see Souray in the hardest shot

Old
11-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Go-Kart-time in Washington, some very nice pictures.

The same Stars t-shirt, which Loui wears on the podium was sent to me yesterday.

So I'm feeling a little bit like King Loui!

Old
11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
^Awesome.

Did Burish have the almghty Nerf Sword handy, to award the victor?

11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
glovesave_35
Name

lol @ Ribs wearing the pink helmet.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Road Trip to Pittsburgh

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Quote:
Coach Dan Bylsma addressed the media, saying Sidney Crosby would not be playing and said the team would focus on playing the Dallas Stars, "maybe one of the best teams in the league right now."
He's a wise man.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
"Maybe"?

Old
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

besides them!

Old
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Souray got about a minute of airtime tonight on HNIC, Cherry talked about him and how good Dallas is and he hopes we'll win another cup soon.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
ScubaSteve*

Ok, I'll go ahead and admit that I was wrong about this team.

I thought it would take until February for the wheels to completely fall off, but apparently it's already happening.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Yeah, this division leading team sure is terrible.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Well there are a few options at this point.

First, this 3 game skid is an aberration and things will return to the great team we saw to open up the season.

Second, Goligoski is really, really vital and we will suck until his return.

Third, this is the real team and their roll to start the season was the aberration abetted by playing mostly bad teams.

Or fourth this is team will rise or fall strictly with Lehtonen's play, when he falters they lose.

I don't know where I come down on this. Parts of 2, 3, and 4 is what I predicted and I'm not ready to walk that back just yet.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Kind of surprised we ranked in the bottom 10 of organizational prospect rankings. Lack of Center depth is a problem but I think we have better depth than a lot of other middle-pack teams. I also think the analysis is off when they say Campbell has character/work ethic problems. From what everyone who's ever worked with him have said his work ethic is insane, he just had a bad transition last year.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Ok, I'll go ahead and admit that I was wrong about this team.

I thought it would take until February for the wheels to completely fall off, but apparently it's already happening.
Can always count on our board's own little ray of sunshine. This is my mental image of you...

Old
11-16-2011, 03:48 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Well there are a few options at this point.

First, this 3 game skid is an aberration and things will return to the great team we saw to open up the season.

Second, Goligoski is really, really vital and we will suck until his return.

Third, this is the real team and their roll to start the season was the aberration abetted by playing mostly bad teams.

Or fourth this is team will rise or fall strictly with Lehtonen's play, when he falters they lose.

I don't know where I come down on this. Parts of 2, 3, and 4 is what I predicted and I'm not ready to walk that back just yet.
Pssstt..

Steve Ott

I am also curious as to how the team will respond to this. Riberio & Morrow need to get something going.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

We'll see if Otts speed can help that line going forward. He's a better option there than Burish anyways.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Kind of surprised we ranked in the bottom 10 of organizational prospect rankings. Lack of Center depth is a problem but I think we have better depth than a lot of other middle-pack teams. I also think the analysis is off when they say Campbell has character/work ethic problems. From what everyone who's ever worked with him have said his work ethic is insane, he just had a bad transition last year.
HF Prospect rankings for the Stars have never changed since 98/99/00/01 when we were labeled as a 'trade picks/prospects for veterans' team..

What's funny to me is that we've graduated Fistric, Grossman, Daley, Benn, Eriksson, Neal, Wandell, Niskanen, Crombeen, with Vincour & Larson being pretty close themselves..

I guess that our prospect pool sucks because all of our poorly ranked sucky prospects keep turning into NHL regulars, and in some cases, top-end talent...

Old
11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
HF Prospect rankings for the Stars have never changed since 98/99/00/01 when we were labeled as a 'trade picks/prospects for veterans' team..

What's funny to me is that we've graduated Fistric, Grossman, Daley, Benn, Eriksson, Neal, Wandell, Niskanen, Crombeen, with Vincour & Larson being pretty close themselves..

I guess that our prospect pool sucks because all of our poorly ranked sucky prospects keep turning into NHL regulars, and in some cases, top-end talent...
Fistric - decent bottom pairing guy not a developmental story a franchise should hang it's hat on. Most teams have a guy like this come through in a 5 year period.

Grossman - good but at times lacks physical play and adds nothing offensively. 2nd pairing guy a win for the org. development folks though.

Daley - skates like the wind and has good hands and shot but doesn't always hit the net or use his ability to draw out the best of his talent. 2nd pairing guy from 2001. Success but never lived up to his true 1st pairing offensive d-man potential.

Benn - franchise player who's talent is the best of any player except Eriksson since the team moved to Dallas. The Stars saw something but Benn deserves far more credit than dev. folk considering he jumped from the WHL to the NHL. Still draft scouts take a bow.

Eriksson - if not for Benn he'd be the man. A heck of a development story. Les Jackson earned his rep from this and the Neal pick. 1st line winger most clubs would love to have.

Neal - streaky goal scorer but in the right system/environment is a 1st line player. See Les Jackson and the development people here for a success story.

Wandell - fringe 4th liner who's skating keeps him in the league but his size, poor defensive play at times, and terrible hands relegate him to a healthy scratch more often than he should be. For a 5th rounder he's a win but not something development guys should crow about.

Niskanen - haven't seen him in Pittsburgh but poor physical play, inability to man the powerplay effectively, turnovers, and just general ineptness mean he's a 6th/7th guy. He's our Kris Russell a d-man who should be far better than he is.

Crombeen - I haven't watched enough of him in St. Louis to say anything other than 3rd/4th liner. Decent but not special.

Vincour & Larsen - are unknowns because they haven't earned full time NHL jobs. We'll call them incomplete.

Benn, Eriksson and Neal are homeruns. Kudos to all those involved but considering you named 11 players over a 10 year run that's hardly the most impressive development story in the NHL.

That said your point that the Stars are not bottom 5 in the league is correct but they're also not Philly, Boston, Buffalo, or Detroit good either.

Closed Thread