HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards is a great hockey player

Old
11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
I don't know about top 5 but probably top 10. His shot on the 5 on 3 tonight that went off the post was a blast. He has elite vision and throughout his career has been very consistent. He is as you said a great hockey player.

Centers:
Crosby
Stamkos
Datsyuk
Malkin
Getzlaf

Toews
Richards
Thornton
Kopitar
Spezza
Im almost 99% sure he was top 3 in points last year among centers in the NHL... And that doesn't come at the expense of a sound defensive game either... So yeah I think hes definitely top 5 and would definitely put him above Toews.( I think Toews is good but is criminally over rated IMO.)

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He's not going to stay at that pace... he's too good
I agree. I am sure he will get better as he gets to know his teammates better but I was just pointing it out as a topic for discussion.

I mean 70 points is nothing to scoff at but one would hope he would be able to score 85-90 points for the first few years of his contract as he has 8 more years.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure how Kopitar is ahead of Richards when he's never had a 90 point season. Not sure I put Backstrom ahead of him either.
Agreed. Definitely not Toews or Thornton either. Toews is good and has a cup ring but not better then Richards IMO. Thornton is talented but... no cups to show for it and that is with him playing on some pretty dominant teams

Old
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree. I am sure he will get better as he gets to know his teammates better but I was just pointing it out as a topic for discussion.

I mean 70 points is nothing to scoff at but one would hope he would be able to score 85-90 points for the first few years of his contract as he has 8 more years.
I think he will. I mean granted he has played for Torterella before but this is a completely new team and as always takes some time to get used to. With that being said 13 points in 16 games including 2 games winners is a good start for him in my opinion and if he does nothing more with his time on the NYR other then put up a ppg every year I don't think any one can be upset about that considering his average point totals are generally between 75-90 and 82 would be almost dead in the middle, (82.5)

Old
11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Been most impressed with his anticipation/hockey smarts...it's an old hockey cliche but he gets to the place where the puck is going to be.
The famous Gretzky quote: "Good players play where the puck is, but great players play where the puck is going to be."

The one thing I like most about Richards is not his skills, but his ability to mentor players. Both Stepan and Del Zotto are benefiting from his experience and expertise (Stepan on face-offs and making plays, Del Zotto on running the PP). Speaking of Del Zotto, I hear that Sauer's been helping him hone his defensive game--impressive on Sauer's part, as well as MDZ for applying what he's learning out on the ice.

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Levitate

I'll be happy if Richards averages about a point per game, with Gaborik doing the same, as long as the rest of the team is also contributing well. I'm more interested in a balanced team that wins than having a couple of guys who put up tons of points by getting all of the minutes on the ice and everyone else being mediocre

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
OverTheCap

I'm glad Brad started to use his slapshot a little more. He's got a very underrated slapshot, fairly accurate and hard.

For someone who is known as a playmaker, he's just got a good shot in general. Most of his goals scored this season have been snipes. He has the best shooting percentage on this team amongst forwards. Richards is a very good all-around offensive player.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm glad Brad started to use his slapshot a little more. He's got a very underrated slapshot, fairly accurate and hard.
I don't know about that. His shot has basically won him a Conn Smyth...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Ola

Brad Richards is extremely good at what he is good at; playmaking and shooting; timing and offensive instincts; he must have a terrifc ability to concentrate etc., very clutch and so forth.

In many areas, he is still way behind most of the C's on any top 10 list though. Its hard to rank him to these guys. Like in some situations he will just not be good at all. In many others he can have a tremendous worth.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Brad Richards is extremely good at what he is good at; playmaking and shooting; timing and offensive instincts; he must have a terrifc ability to concentrate etc., very clutch and so forth.

In many areas, he is still way behind most of the C's on any top 10 list though. Its hard to rank him to these guys. Like in some situations he will just not be good at all. In many others he can have a tremendous worth.
hmmm... are you saying he's not flashy? Lacks razzle dazzle?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Most players, even the best, have significant flaws in one place or another. Crosby is about the only "elite" player I can think of that doesn't have a true flaw somewhere in his game. Give me a list of your top 10 centers and I can probably give you a situation where those guys "just will not be good at all"

Old
11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Im almost 99% sure he was top 3 in points last year among centers in the NHL... And that doesn't come at the expense of a sound defensive game either... So yeah I think hes definitely top 5 and would definitely put him above Toews.( I think Toews is good but is criminally over rated IMO.)
Criminally overrated?? He was the Conn Smythe winner of the cup winning team less than two years ago! He is a natural born leader and is only 23 years old. He's a terrific 2 way player; he may not have the passing skills of Brad Richards or the puck skills of Patrick Kane but he is a flat out winner.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
For someone who is known as a playmaker, he's just got a good shot in general. Most of his goals scored this season have been snipes. He has the best shooting percentage on this team amongst forwards. Richards is a very good all-around offensive player.
He is very well known for his cannon. He has one of the hardest slapshots in the league for years now. And his shot pct. usually suffers because of this. He has one of the worst shooting pcts lifetime of any top players. His shot is so hard it obviously can't be that accurate. I think he is learning to take a little something off his blast, to get it on net.

I said when he came here, you guys will be impressed by his rocket shot.

Quote:
I don't know about that. His shot has basically won him a Conn Smyth...
I remember him on TB when he played against us. Very Scary. With Vinnie and Marty in their prime, it was Brad who scared me the most. Damned if he shoots and damned if he doesn't (and passes).

Last edited by ohbaby: 11-16-2011 at 02:39 PM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
He is very well known for his cannon. He has one of the hardest slapshots in the league for years now. And his shot pct. usually suffers because of this. He has one of the worst shooting pcts lifetime of any top players. His shot is so hard it obviously can't be that accurate. I think he is learning to take a little something off his blast, to get it on net.

I think on this board his slapshot tends to get unnoticed, which you kind of alluded to in your last sentence. Most of the time we hear about his playmaking and his ability to quarterback a power play, and every so often we hear that Brad needs be paired with a defenseman who can shoot the puck on the PP even though he is capable of shooting the puck himself.

So far as his shot being too hard to be accurate... I don't know, I remember the vast majority of his PP goals scored in Tampa were due to a slapshot from the point. It's probably not the most accurate shot in the league but it's certainly not Paul Mara territory.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
How has everyone forgotten Henrik Sedin in these lists? The guy won the MVP just 2 years ago.
You right, completely forgot about him. Slot him in the top 5 or just below that slightly.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I'm talking about Lindros when he played for us, in response to a poster saying he was the best center we had had since Gretzky. We had Messier between then and now so I assumed he was talking about their performance at the time.
That's a different story. He was at the downside of his career when he was with us but still put up sone pretty good numbers considering how lousy the team was.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure how Kopitar is ahead of Richards when he's never had a 90 point season. Not sure I put Backstrom ahead of him either.
I would only take them over Richards because of their young age; Kopitar was drafted in 05 and Backstrom in 06.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:

I also wonder if a lot of his shots, especially on the PP, aren't exactly designed to go in the net but to get on goal and create rebound chances, etc. Sometimes it seems like he just likes to put the puck into the middle of things

All that said, his shot selection has been pretty careful so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
That's a different story. He was at the downside of his career when he was with us but still put up sone pretty good numbers considering how lousy the team was.
Lindros was dominate for the Rangers until he concussed himself again.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I also wonder if a lot of his shots, especially on the PP, aren't exactly designed to go in the net but to get on goal and create rebound chances, etc. Sometimes it seems like he just likes to put the puck into the middle of things

All that said, his shot selection has been pretty careful so far this year.
I agree. He's being very selective. At this rate he'll finish with under 200 SOGs. He averages 270 a year lifetime when he plays a full season. He was always up there in the league leaders in SOG.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
I think on this board his slapshot tends to get unnoticed, which you kind of alluded to in your last sentence. Most of the time we hear about his playmaking and his ability to quarterback a power play, and every so often we hear that Brad needs be paired with a defenseman who can shoot the puck on the PP even though he is capable of shooting the puck himself.

So far as his shot being too hard to be accurate... I don't know, I remember the vast majority of his PP goals scored in Tampa were due to a slapshot from the point. It's probably not the most accurate shot in the league but it's certainly not Paul Mara territory.
Yeah, but he was on TB for 7 years. He has played against us many times back then. Unless your too young to remember, he was mighty impressive when he played against us.

Wait, you remember when he was on Tampa, so why,... 'we so often hear...'

Last edited by ohbaby: 11-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Yeah, but he was on TB for 7 years. He has played against us many times back then. Unless your too young to remember, he was mighty impressive when he played against us.
I have been always impressed by Richards. I was one of the people that advocated hard for him to sign here. And I certainly wasn't too young to remember him, as I mentioned in the same post that I seemed to recall most of his PP goals being scored from the point on the PP.

Edit: When I said "most of the time we hear about his playmaking...," I was referring to what many posters on this board say when discussing Brad Richards. The OP seemed surprised that Richards was playing so well but he's always been a smart and talented player.

Last edited by OverTheCap: 11-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Okay then... agreed, but not this year.
I'd take Eric Staal in a heartbeat on this team.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
If we didn't have Richards, I'd say the same, but his $8.25M per cap hit doesn't fit into the cap structure of this team.

As for Richards, I was disappointed with his play at the start of the year, but he's really picked up his play greatly. He looks much stronger on his skates behind the net, is playing with much more decisiveness, taking more shots, and looks MUCH more comfortable on the PP. Just a matter of adjusting, and he now has 13 points in 16 games...solid given the start he had. He's been very involved in the past few games especially. I think last night might have been his best game as a Rangers, up there with the game against the Sens. That slapper was probably my favorite goal this season. Absolutely laser beam.

11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
If we didn't have Richards, I'd say the same, but his $8.25M per cap hit doesn't fit into the cap structure of this team.

As for Richards, I was disappointed with his play at the start of the year, but he's really picked up his play greatly. He looks much stronger on his skates behind the net, is playing with much more decisiveness, taking more shots, and looks MUCH more comfortable on the PP. Just a matter of adjusting, and he now has 13 points in 16 games...solid given the start he had. He's been very involved in the past few games especially. I think last night might have been his best game as a Rangers, up there with the game against the Sens. That slapper was probably my favorite goal this season. Absolutely laser beam.
I left that out of my post, I meant to add that side note. If Eric was making a 1-1.5 million less I'd take him even with Richards on the team. But obviously it's unrealistic because I wouldn't want to give up guys Carolina would want such as dubinsky, anisimov, stepan, etc. Even Kreider I wouldnt want to trade.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
As would I, although it would kill our cap situation. We're hardly going to be dealing Gaborik the way he has been playing.

I'd happily deal Wolski+Dubinsky for Staal, though.