HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs call-up Frederic St-Denis

Old
11-16-2011, 07:34 AM
nilan30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Because he is too slow for the NHL.
I don't buy that at all. Is he actually slower than Gill. I think Gauthier is scared Henry might play physically.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I don't buy that at all. Is he actually slower than Gill. I think Gauthier is scared Henry might play physically.
You don't buy the quoted statement but somehow you believe the underlined?

I don't like to use the tinfoil hat meme frequently but I definitely think it's merited here.

Can people stop lumping Gauthier/Timmins/whoever into the JM boat. Even JM has proven in the past he has nothing against physical players he just wants smart ones who don't cost the team. If that means not icing the career AHLers you guys constantly want brought up then so be it.

I mean honestly what world do you live in where bringing up a career AHLer who has never shown promise at the NHL level is somehow better than bringing up a guy who has progressed at every level he's reached? Yeah it must mean Gauthier hates physical players. Amazing deduction skills.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You don't buy the quoted statement but somehow you believe the underlined?

I don't like to use the tinfoil hat meme frequently but I definitely think it's merited here.

Can people stop lumping Gauthier/Timmins/whoever into the JM boat. Even JM has proven in the past he has nothing against physical players he just wants smart ones who don't cost the team. If that means not icing the career AHLers you guys constantly want brought up then so be it.

I mean honestly what world do you live in where bringing up a career AHLer who has never shown promise at the NHL level is somehow better than bringing up a guy who has progressed at every level he's reached? Yeah it must mean Gauthier hates physical players. Amazing deduction skills.
Well what other reasoning could there be in bringing up a guy who's never played an NHL game when there will be four other d in the lineup that have less than 100 NHL games? Isn't he essentially replacing Gill and or Spacek. They're both slow. Henry's been an NHL captain and isn't out of his league when he gets the rare chance to play.

I'm not saying Blunden is the next Rick Tocchet but look what happens to the guy. He plays well enough crashing and banging on the fourth line like he was called up to do, then he throws a hit and gets in a fight (which as well all know the refs royally screwed up the calls on) and he gets 40 seconds of ice the rest of the game, one minute the next game and then gets sent down. Blame Martin and Gauthier equally for that.

It's just getting increasingly frustrating when the Habs keep favouring guys because they have some "poise" while guys who are willing to play hard nosed, entertaining hockey rarely get in the lineup.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Have you seen them play ?

How can you judge who's playing better ?
Obviously when you see that the three are larger bodies with NHL experience you can understand why some may prefer them as a call up. However, I too would like to see what St-Denis can do.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
freiheit

I'm actually pretty excited to see St. Denis play at the nhl level. I've been a fan of his for some time now. I think most people around here underrate him.

I like that our young D core is getting the occasion to get some experience. If it means losing a few games, so be it. If we make the playoffs, this experience will be more than welcomed in case of injuries.

freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
psychonaut

So one more puck moving defenceman yet 20$ says Plecks is still on the point

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:54 AM
canadiensen4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
He's the exact same age as me, and from the same home town. I'm also very involved in minor hockey in that city, and I've NEVER heard his name mentioned before.

Anyone know his story? Did he move at a young age?

We make a huge deal out of Torrey Mitchell from the Sharks because he's from Greenfield Park, so it seems weird I've never heard of St-Denis.
Really Happy for St-Denis and his family right now. For the little short story, he is from St-Alexandre and was at my high school in Iberville. I played volleyball with him and I can say he is a natural athlete. Never bad in something, great hand/eye coordination in a lot of key action in different sports (to be able to take good slap shot, hit a smash or swing a ball). He had to choose between baseball and hockey and a lot of people at the time tought he made the wrong choice because he was a elite baseball player too when he was younger.

Best asset for him in the NHL level is probably his hockey IQ, positioning on the ice and his determination. When you watch him play at the AHL level, he is not spectacular but rarely out of position and it is why he got the call up instead of Henry probably.

If you spot the guy a lot tonight it will not be good for the habs ...

I think he is a Josh Gorges type of player. Poor's man Josh Gorges for now but better in offense ... We'll wait and see if he can get closer Gorges in the other aspect of the game and find a role for the habs, but after seeing David Desharnais and Mathieu Darche finding a role for the team, why not St-Denis in a year or two ... if we don't sign a couple of guys or if we trade some players at some time ...

Sure, he will never give up and if you know your hockey you'll see why he was able to get from UQTR to the NHL even if he is not tall or spectacular. A lot of pressure for him tonight, I hope he will be able to handle it and play his best hockey because he deserves his shot with the Canadiens. I hope you'll discover him for the good reasons ...

canadiensen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I think not calling up Henry was waiver-related... and you don't want Gill #2 pylon against the Hurricanes.
Henry doesn't have to go through recall waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Has anyone ever seen St-Denis, Diaz and Weber in the same room....I think they're all one guy who changes shirts
St-Denis is not like Weber/Diaz other then being smallish and lacking strength. He's very good positionally in his own end and excels on the PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I've never seen St-Denis play. What is his game like?
Smart positionally, hard working, good shot blocker, can move the puck well. Lacks strength though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
St-Denis ?? Come on. We have Stafford, Callahan and Henry in Hamilton who are better options than him.
Stafford is currently injured, out for the next 2 weeks. St-Denis has been way better then Callahan this year (though to be fair Callahan didn't have a training camp).

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Stafford is currently injured, out for the next 2 weeks. St-Denis has been way better then Callahan this year (though to be fair Callahan didn't have a training camp).
How has Mitera looked so far? I'm guessing not that great..

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
How has Mitera looked so far? I'm guessing not that great..
No he's struggled in his own end.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
So one more puck moving defenceman yet 20$ says Plecks is still on the point
I don't know too much about St-Denis but I doubt they use him on the powerplay at the point in his first game. I don't like Plecks on the point either but really there's no choice anymore. I would have used Spacek myself but right now I just don't see who else. I guess the closest is Emelin but I'd be worried he would cough up the puck. He's not exactly exuding confidence out there. Gorges maybe? I don't know I think Plecks is your best bet given the circumstances. I agree though I would not have him at the point with Spacek healthy.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I don't know too much about St-Denis but I doubt they use him on the powerplay at the point in his first game. I don't like Plecks on the point either but really there's no choice anymore. I would have used Spacek myself but right now I just don't see who else. I guess the closest is Emelin but I'd be worried he would cough up the puck. He's not exactly exuding confidence out there. Gorges maybe? I don't know I think Plecks is your best bet given the circumstances. I agree though I would not have him at the point with Spacek healthy.
Yeah, it really would be a shame if he coughed up the puck and allowed as many short handed goals as PP goals. Oh wait.

We have 0 creativity down low, and pleks is not comfortable on the point. Anyone watching emelin knows that he's been showing his offensive side any chance he gets. At this point, we couldn't get any worse, might as well shake it up and see what the kids can do.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yeah, it really would be a shame if he coughed up the puck and allowed as many short handed goals as PP goals. Oh wait.

We have 0 creativity down low, and pleks is not comfortable on the point. Anyone watching emelin knows that he's been showing his offensive side any chance he gets. At this point, we couldn't get any worse, might as well shake it up and see what the kids can do.
True. Not like it can get much worse. I'd like to see him tried at the point. I don't think it would work, but I'd like to see it.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
habitue*

Quote:
True. Not like it can get much worse. I'd like to see him tried at the point. I don't think it would work, but I'd like to see it.
I still don't understand why Martin is not using a Subban-Weber combo at the point. They can't do worse than Pleks + ??? on PP at the point for sure.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
I still don't understand why Martin is not using a Subban-Weber combo at the point. They can't do worse than Pleks + ??? on PP at the point for sure.
I thought I saw a Subban-Webber combo at the point on the PP at some point. Could be wrong. You also have to think that if you do that what's your second combo on the second unit?

Old
11-16-2011, 10:33 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I thought I saw a Subban-Webber combo at the point on the PP at some point. Could be wrong. You also have to think that if you do that what's your second combo on the second unit?
Point men (d-men) can play the whole 2 minutes. You can put Spacek-Gorges for 30 seconds if you wish. Or Spacek-Diaz.

As long as Markov is not back, habs won't really solve their PP problems. But they can try better.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Point men (d-men) can play the whole 2 minutes. You can put Spacek-Gorges for 30 seconds if you wish. Or Spacek-Diaz.

As long as Markov is not back, habs won't really solve their PP problems. But they can try better.
Gonna have to disagree on that one.

Spacek would be a good choice on the point he used to be the #1 man in Buffalo. But he's injured.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:42 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Neither is a true powerplay "quarterback" but when you have two guys with huge shots its hard for penalty killing teams to defend compared to when they know 95% of the time Plekanec isn't going to shoot.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Even JM has proven in the past he has nothing against physical players he just wants smart ones who don't cost the team.
the 2004 flyers-senators brawl, one of hockey's most violent games. coach: jacques ****ing martin...

on the subject, st-denis played well in the pre-season so i can't wait to see how he does. i'll admit i know nothing about henry other than what other posters have said about him, but i'd be nice to have a tough stay at home guy come up from hamilton. but i guess the best player gets called, in which case it would have been nash, who is injured, st-denis is the next guy in line

edit: haha i just had to add this

Quote:
Continuing the fighting from the game, Flyers General Manager Bob Clarke had to be restrained from going after Ottawa coach Jacques Martin after the game, taking issue with his handling of his team.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 11-16-2011 at 11:49 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
the 2004 flyers-senators brawl, one of hockey's most violent games. coach: jacques ****ing martin...

on the subject, st-denis played well in the pre-season so i can't wait to see how he does. i'll admit i know nothing about henry other than what other posters have said about him, but i'd be nice to have a tough stay at home guy come up from hamilton. but i guess the best player gets called, in which case it would have been nash, who is injured, st-denis is the next guy in line

edit: haha i just had to add this
LOL this is exactly what I had in mind but it isn't even the only example. He's played tough guys before they were just guys who also knew how to play a game called hockey and not cost their team anything in the W column.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:

They can if the play stays in the offensive zone. But considering that the shorthanded teams manage to clear the puck about 10 times per MTL PP, you can see how they could get winded after a while

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Willing to give St.Denis a chance but this is another questionable decision ...

Rationalle his Freddy is the best guy at the moment on the farm... However by all accounts Henry is next best. Plus he has the exp. Most would pick Henry but our GM makes the decisions. His call if he wants to make these calls.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Aurel Joliat

They will never call up Henry. Too tough. And certainly not slower than Gill...

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
They will never call up Henry. Too tough. And certainly not slower than Gill...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/story...17194&sponsor=

Laraque writes that his friend André Roy, who played for Martin in Ottawa, warned him.

"Jacques Martin simply hates tough guys," Laraque says Roy told him. "You'll see
- he'll cope with your presence in the first months because (then-GM Bob) Gainey seems to like you. But as soon as he feels he has the freedom to do it, he'll start denigrating you and will do everything he can to get rid of you."

Laraque didn't believe it at first. He learned soon enough, as he warmed the bench or his press-box seat. And as he begged Martin to put him on the ice, he was ignored without Martin giving him a specific reason.

"Martin would never look you in the eye," Laraque writes. "He would drone on emotionlessly, shuffling papers and glancing at his computer, trying to make you feel as if you're wasting his time, even though he called the meeting. I kept trying to convince myself that Jacques Martin wasn't a moron, that one day he'd realize I could really help the team."

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/story...17194&sponsor=

Laraque writes that his friend André Roy, who played for Martin in Ottawa, warned him.

"Jacques Martin simply hates tough guys," Laraque says Roy told him. "You'll see
- he'll cope with your presence in the first months because (then-GM Bob) Gainey seems to like you. But as soon as he feels he has the freedom to do it, he'll start denigrating you and will do everything he can to get rid of you."

Laraque didn't believe it at first. He learned soon enough, as he warmed the bench or his press-box seat. And as he begged Martin to put him on the ice, he was ignored without Martin giving him a specific reason.

"Martin would never look you in the eye," Laraque writes. "He would drone on emotionlessly, shuffling papers and glancing at his computer, trying to make you feel as if you're wasting his time, even though he called the meeting. I kept trying to convince myself that Jacques Martin wasn't a moron, that one day he'd realize I could really help the team."
IMO Laraque's sour grapes have gotten way too much attention. Seems like the guy blames everything but his own declining skills.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote