HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean "Ovechkin" Avery

Old
11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Which of our players does NOT do that? None. Which player in the entire league does not do that?

Why is it that the Avery bashers on this board only see it in him?

Dubinsky haters see it in Dubinsky. Gaborik haters see it in Gaborik. Anisimov haters see it in Anisimov. Callahan haters (as few as there are) see it in Callahan. Richards haters (the future ones) will see that in Richards. etc. etc. etc.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Dubinsky haters see it in Dubinsky. Gaborik haters see it in Gaborik. Anisimov haters see it in Anisimov. Callahan haters (as few as there are) see it in Callahan. Richards haters (the future ones) will see that in Richards. etc. etc. etc.
Don't forget about all the soft goals Lundqvist gives up.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Well, honestly, I think that's pathetic. I'm so tired of the whole "oh he takes games/shifts off" crap (toward any of our guys).

It's a very tough, highly-skilled sport. One's performance is also partially dependent on his teammates/opponent's quality of play on any given night. You're just not going to go out there and rip it up every night. It doesn't necessarily mean you're not trying.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Ranger109

I have not read the entire thread (Thank God) but...this is why I love Avery in the line-up. He adds the spark, has scored two goals and chirps. This is what we want from him and the fans love him, I love him on the Rangers.

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:32 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
not even remotely huh?

k
Not even remotely.

Is this how you Avery bashers are going to cope with your miscalculated evaluation of Avery? By crediting his success to John Tortorella, LMAO!!!

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Well, honestly, I think that's pathetic. I'm so tired of the whole "oh he takes games/shifts off" crap (toward any of our guys).

It's a very tough, highly-skilled sport. One's performance is also partially dependent on his teammates/opponent's quality of play on any given night. You're just not going to go out there and rip it up every night. It doesn't necessarily mean you're not trying.
Exactly. Dubinsky brings it every night and so does Avery. The puck is not going to roll your way all the time.

People like to throw around the term 'consistency'. If a player plays his butt off every game he's consistent regardless of his point totals. Unfortunately, some people call a player 'inconsistent' if they're not scoring all the time.

Essentially, Sean Avery has been labeled 'inconsistent' by some people because he doesn't score enough by their standards. Meanwhile, you watch the guy play and he's always flying into the corners going after pucks.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Exactly. Dubinsky brings it every night and so does Avery. The puck is not going to roll your way all the time.

People like to throw around the term 'consistency'. If a player plays his butt off every game he's consistent regardless of his point totals. Unfortunately, some people call a player 'inconsistent' if they're not scoring all the time.

Essentially, Sean Avery has been labeled 'inconsistent' by some people because he doesn't score enough by their standards. Meanwhile, you watch the guy play and he's always flying into the corners going after pucks.
The issue is that some fans refuse to criticize their favorite players, for anything... You cannot sit there and tell me Sean Avery hasn't been inconsistent for any stretch over the past 2 seasons... Dubinsky isn't immune either, he goes through poor stretches at times as well.... It's one thing to be making plays out on the ice and not having the point production to show for it, but it's another thing when these players aren't making plays out on the ice (on either side of the puck).

*waits to be told that Sean Avery is only inconsistent because of Tortorella's doing*

Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-16-2011 at 02:05 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The issue is that some fans refuse to criticize their favorite players, for anything... You cannot sit there and tell me Sean Avery hasn't been inconsistent for any stretch over the past 2 seasons... Dubinsky isn't immune either, he goes through poor stretches at times as well.... It's one thing to be making plays out on the ice and not having the point production to show for it, but it's another thing when these players aren't making plays out on the ice (on either side of the puck).

*waits to be told that Sean Avery is only inconsistent because of Tortorella's doing*
Sean Avery plays like Sean Avery on a nightly basis. I really don't understand peoples beef with him over the past 2 seasons. And yes, his dip in production is absolutely a result of a reduction in his role. If you play fourth line minutes and you don't see any time on the power play you're not going to score a lot of points, I don't care how good you are.

Last edited by stan the caddy: 11-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
The issue is that some fans refuse to criticize their favorite players, for anything... You cannot sit there and tell me Sean Avery hasn't been inconsistent for any stretch over the past 2 seasons.
And did either of us just say that?

Old
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Sean Avery plays like Sean Avery on a nightly basis. I really don't understand peoples beef with home over the past 2 seasons. And yes, his dip in production is absolutely a result of a reduction in his role. If you play fourth line minutes and you don't see any time on the power play you're not going to score a lot of points, I don't care how good you are.
Yes. Given time on the ice he has scored 18, 15 and 15. One of those 15 goal seasons was in 57 games! And it was for us. Obviously he has some offensive skill.

But, I don't get the hate either. None of us ever said he was a 40 goal scorer. We've said over-and-over that he is a good fore-checker, good board player, brings an edge/spark to the game, and has somewhat underrated skills as a setup man and shooter. His shot last night, for example, was pretty wicked. And if you watch a highlight reel, he has had many other sick goals for the Kings and us.

None of us said he is god. We like him and his game--that's it.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Don't forget about all the soft goals Lundqvist gives up.
lol, where is that girl from the Garden state?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Sean Avery plays like Sean Avery on a nightly basis. I really don't understand peoples beef with him over the past 2 seasons. .
You just proved my point! Incapable of providing an objective evaluation of a player's performances on a game to game basis. I'm not just talking about points here either... Avery gets special treatment. We could sit here and talk about Prust and Boyle's inconsistencies but when Avery comes into the picture, it's always the coach's fault, right? Avery is a flawless performer and the only reason he has never scored 20 goals in an NHL season is because his coaches never played him enough!

Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Not even remotely.

Is this how you Avery bashers are going to cope with your miscalculated evaluation of Avery? By crediting his success to John Tortorella, LMAO!!!
I haven't "miscalculated" anything. he hasn't been effective until recently. And I think Torts was sending him a message with reduced ice time, and then again by sending him down. AND I think it's possible that Mr. Avery got the message. And thats a GOOD thing.

Hey, I hope this latest iteration of Sean Avery sticks. and I don't want to wish his game to go bad, so I can say I was right, I'd rather he contribute.

Let's just say I'm from Missouri: show me

If he's got 10-15 goals come April, and he's played a good game all around, and he continues to be effective in the playoffs, I will be right there with you pushing for a contract for Sean.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I haven't "miscalculated" anything. he hasn't been effective until recently. And I think Torts was sending him a message with reduced ice time, and then again by sending him down. AND I think it's possible that Mr. Avery got the message. And thats a GOOD thing.

Hey, I hope this latest iteration of Sean Avery sticks. and I don't want to wish his game to go bad, so I can say I was right, I'd rather he contribute.

Let's just say I'm from Missouri: show me

If he's got 10-15 goals come April, and he's played a good game all around, and he continues to be effective in the playoffs, I will be right there with you pushing for a contract for Sean.
Finally some objective, agenda-free analysis! Thank you and agreed.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Well, honestly, I think that's pathetic.
Have you read many of the threads on this forum? Not exactly the most reasonable group of fans.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Pizza

I have to say that when Avery was cut and sent to the Whale it made me think his career was done. Honestly, the guy has been great since he came back up. Wrong again on my part.

Tort's "throwing dirt on him" really seems to have motivated Avery to make the most of his chance to show the coach and others up.

He really seems to flourish in that type of situation and Rangers fans are the beneficiaries.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

difference between sean avery and most of our 3rd and 4th liners....when hes on, he can win a game for you in many different ways....when hes off, hes just a 3rd or 4th liner, but when hes on, hes a big time difference maker.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
You just proved my point! Incapable of providing an objective evaluation of a player's performances on a game to game basis. I'm not just talking about points here either... Avery gets special treatment. We could sit here and talk about Prust and Boyle's inconsistencies but when Avery comes into the picture, it's always the coach's fault, right? Avery is a flawless performer and the only reason he has never scored 20 goals in an NHL season is because his coaches never played him enough!
What are you talking about lol? I'm not blaming anyone, YOU ARE.

My stance the whole time is that Avery has performed adequately over the past two seasons. His decrease in production is a result of a reduced role. Over the offseason there were idiots talking about Sean Avery not being able to play hockey anymore. He's clearly still a solid hockey player.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
difference between sean avery and most of our 3rd and 4th liners....when hes on, he can win a game for you in many different ways....when hes off, hes just a 3rd or 4th liner, but when hes on, hes a big time difference maker.
Agreed. When he's "on" he can play with the big dogs. The problem is, he hasn't been "on" nearly enough over the past 2 seasons (or so).

Now you could argue that Torts had it in for him, and I think he clearly wasn't the one who wanted Sean on the team, but Avery's game had dropped off the last time he was in the playoffs for the Rangers. (And I think he was banged up.) But that happened BEFORE Torts got here, and he was still getting plenty of ice time.

My point has always been, that Avery has run out of gas in the latter part of the seasons when he has played "his" game. I've said he is not durable enoug to play that way for an entire season and still have something left for the playoffs.

It would be great if I'm wrong about that.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
stan the caddy

If John Tortorella doesn't feel that Sean Avery deserves decent ice time that's fine but I don't want to hear people *****ing about his 'inconsistencies' when he's barely playing.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:13 PM
stan the caddy

Lets not forget that Sean was unfairly left off the team. If it wasn't for an injury to Mike Rupp, who happens to be half the player Avery is, Sean would still be rotting in Hartford.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I love how if you're not in love with Avery, you're an Avery hater.

I'm glad he's contributing. He's had 2 good games. I don't think he's an essential part to our teams success though. Does that make me a hater?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Now you could argue that Torts had it in for him, and I think he clearly wasn't the one who wanted Sean on the team, but Avery's game had dropped off the last time he was in the playoffs for the Rangers. (And I think he was banged up.) But that happened BEFORE Torts got here, and he was still getting plenty of ice time.

My point has always been, that Avery has run out of gas in the latter part of the seasons when he has played "his" game. I've said he is not durable enoug to play that way for an entire season and still have something left for the playoffs.
He has been an integral part of 2 stretch runs to get the Rangers into the playoffs. He was a beast for them down the stretch. He was downright one of the team MVP's in those seasons as far as getting them into the playoffs. And he was a monster against Atlanta and against the Devils in the post season. Extremely effective in those series. He isn't the type of player that is going to be one of the top players on the team in every series. How reasonable is it to expect that of him?

Old
11-16-2011, 04:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I love how if you're not in love with Avery, you're an Avery hater.

I'm glad he's contributing. He's had 2 good games. I don't think he's an essential part to our teams success though. Does that make me a hater?
I think that you feeling the need to tack on "I don't think he's an essential part to our teams success" for no particular reason when he is playing well would in fact make you a hater.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
DutchShamrock

I'm as big of a Sean Avery fan as there is, but I had to admit that his overall play was severely lacking last season. It's chicken or the egg to debate if the lack of ice time or lack of production caused one or vice versa. But Avery earned a spot on this team in camp. He should have been here since day one of the season and he is proving the nay sayers wrong, no matter what the blog writers or 'fans' want to say or think.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote