HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean "Ovechkin" Avery

Old
11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
i may not speak for everyone here but to me there is much more to consistancy than showing up on the stat sheet, and with that in mind i still think avery has considerable problems with consistantly contributing in games

when avery plays well he:
- forechecks hard
- controls the puck
- creates plays
- aggitates

when avery plays bad he:
- is off pace
- turns the puck over a lot
- takes bad penalties
- does not aggitate

This is an over simplification but sean essentially has an A and a B game. Unfortunately, the difference doesnt always show up on the stat sheet and is obviouslly subjective to what my eyes see

but over the last few seasons my eyes have seen significatly more B games than A....if and when the ratio shifts closer to 50/50 or better, ill be thrilled and the team will certianlly benefit from his contributions

here's to hopeing he can keep it up

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i may not speak for everyone here but to me there is much more to consistancy than showing up on the stat sheet, and with that in mind i still think avery has considerable problems with consistantly contributing in games

when avery plays well he:
- forechecks hard
- controls the puck
- creates plays
- aggitates

when avery plays bad he:
- is off pace
- turns the puck over a lot
- takes bad penalties
- does not aggitate

This is an over simplification but sean essentially has an A and a B game. Unfortunately, the difference doesnt always show up on the stat sheet and is obviouslly subjective to what my eyes see

but over the last few seasons my eyes have seen significatly more B games than A....if and when the ratio shifts closer to 50/50 or better, ill be thrilled and the team will certianlly benefit from his contributions

here's to hopeing he can keep it up
Agree with this as well...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Does anyone think torts has loosened the rope around averys neck since game 1. I mean obviously his minutes have increased, as well as its clear hes made quite an impact. I know torts will never like avery, but ive said for a while play avery with feds, and if thats going to be the 3rd line with boyle im completely okay with that...especially is prust is banged up. I prefer avery over prust anyway. That 4th line though seems like a place to throw 3 forwards, i do like deaveax though and his little wraparound move last night. EC i can leave and prust i like but hes not avery to me.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I love how if you're not in love with Avery, you're an Avery hater.

I'm glad he's contributing. He's had 2 good games. I don't think he's an essential part to our teams success though. Does that make me a hater?
We on the other side deal with it too. I'm an "Avery lover/fanboy/apologist" because I like him. Goes both ways.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

But I do like him. I think he's a good third line player who brings more offensive skill than a typical grinder. I'm just fine with it if he's not on the team and its incredibly annoying dealing with people who say stuff like "like it or not this team plays better because of Avery".

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:27 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But I do like him. I think he's a good third line player who brings more offensive skill than a typical grinder. I'm just fine with it if he's not on the team and its incredibly annoying dealing with people who say stuff like "like it or not this team plays better because of Avery".
Because they do.

I was never that big of an Avery fan until this offseason. I couldn't understand why everyone wanted him gone so I stood up for the guy. Why did so many people want him gone? Most of the anti-Avery arguments are based around bs. I mean the guy who essentially took his spot (Rupp) takes more stupid penalties, has less skill, skates slower, and makes around the same amount of money. I just don't understand why so many people are so against the guy but then they stand up and support the Rupp signing.

My guess: the team looked great on paper and there wasn't much to ***** about so a minority of the fans decided to single out Avery.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I wonder if this was all a big play by Torts and Sather.

Think about it:

If Sean makes the team out of camp, it's just status quo: he comes in and plays a 3rd/4th line role and takes up where he left off last season... underwhelming.

OR

Waive him, with plans to bring him back up when we need some help, and know that Sean will play with a GIANT chip on his shoulder to shove it up the collective ***** of the braintrust.

Just speculation, but interesting. I only hope Sean can keep up his play as of late, he's been good.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post

Think about it:

If Sean makes the team out of camp, it's just status quo: he comes in and plays a 3rd/4th line role and takes up where he left off last season... underwhelming.

OR

Waive him, with plans to bring him back up when we need some help, and know that Sean will play with a GIANT chip on his shoulder to shove it up the collective ***** of the braintrust.

Just speculation, but interesting. I only hope Sean can keep up his play as of late, he's been good.

That's pretty far-fetched. Use occam's razor. Tortorella didn't want him on the team so he gave him a less than fair shot in camp. Then when the team was hit with several injuries Sather brought him up because unlike John Tortorella, Glen Sather likes what Avery brings to the table. I think it's pretty obvious what happened. Don't act like Sean needed to be sent down to get him fired up. SEAN PLAYED GREAT IN PRESEASON. He was ready to go.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Does anyone think torts has loosened the rope around averys neck since game 1. I mean obviously his minutes have increased, as well as its clear hes made quite an impact. I know torts will never like avery, but ive said for a while play avery with feds, and if thats going to be the 3rd line with boyle im completely okay with that...especially is prust is banged up. I prefer avery over prust anyway. That 4th line though seems like a place to throw 3 forwards, i do like deaveax though and his little wraparound move last night. EC i can leave and prust i like but hes not avery to me.
No I honestly do not...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Mazzone11
Rookie User

He's a ******, but you have to like what he brings to the table - he's a perfect fit for this team too. They definitely benefit from having him out there.

Mazzone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post

Think about it:

OR

I doubt it was a plan but in the end it actually saved cap space and Avery really only played a few games in the minors since he was hurt to start the yr

so it's all worked out. Let him play out his last yr as a Ranger. He will be let go as a UFA

for the poster who said Avery over Prust I say good lord no. Prust should be resigned and stick long term. That said I don't hate an eventual 4th line of Rupp, EC, Prust

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:46 PM
jmb9191

hes better than that piece of garbage christensen...and torts is playing them accordingly to performance which is why erik didnt see the ice in the 3rd anad sean was out there with a minute left protecting a 1 goal lead. he brings a lot to the ice, he can score on the 3rd line, he plays well with talent around him. hes here to stay, theres no denying that. he'll fight, he'll score a goal, he'll hit someone, he'll make a nice pass. guy has talent, guy has guts, guy LOVES BEING A RANGER!!!! thats why he didn't go to europe when he didnt make the roster out of camp. he knew this chance would come, becasue he knew that he is a better hockey player than those who beat him out. maybe him being waived was a wake up call, but im glad he stuck around. torts made a big mistake by telling sean to take a hike.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:18 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We on the other side deal with it too. I'm an "Avery lover/fanboy/apologist" because I like him. Goes both ways.
do not forget about "lapdog" and a "jerk in real life".

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:20 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
As of right now, the idea of Sean Avery being re-signed is not far fetched.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
As of right now, the idea of Sean Avery being re-signed is not far fetched.
I still think no shot he comes back. Fully expect hagelin on the squad next year. i dont see room for him.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Because they do.

I was never that big of an Avery fan until this offseason. I couldn't understand why everyone wanted him gone so I stood up for the guy. Why did so many people want him gone? Most of the anti-Avery arguments are based around bs. I mean the guy who essentially took his spot (Rupp) takes more stupid penalties, has less skill, skates slower, and makes around the same amount of money. I just don't understand why so many people are so against the guy but then they stand up and support the Rupp signing.

My guess: the team looked great on paper and there wasn't much to ***** about so a minority of the fans decided to single out Avery.
That's simply untrue. He's scored 2 goal's in his time here and other then that has played 3rd line minutes.

You know what ACTUALLY happened? Our top 6 players are playing like top 6 players.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
cenas*

From what I can gather Avery plays better when he gets to play 10 minutes a game instead of 4 minutes.. who would've thunk!?

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote