HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Primeau believes helmet device can cut down on concussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
  #51
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
MMA is 3 rounds, not 20 or more like in the early days of boxing, for one thing...and there are more than enough rules and regulations in those leagues, and their rulebook will continue to increase like it already has in the past. Also, there isn't headgear in pro boxing so I don't know what you're talking about there. As athletes perform a sport longer and longer, they begin to realize what the best way to do something is. Boxing became "safer" when people started wearing gloves, because fighting with broken hands sucks. Similar things happen in other sports. Right now, both football players and hockey players are beginning to realize that constantly banging your brain is bad for your career and long-term health. As an athlete becomes better at a sport, his value increases. It only makes sense to take some steps to protect that, and it's not like these steps have ruined or destroyed the game.

As for Chariot racing, it was absolutely brutal and drivers routinely died. Part of the fun was watching people die. Criminals were executed on the spina of the Circus Maximus to entertain the crowd between races. We are very different from Rome in that we don't go to sporting events to watch people perish. NASCAR isn't getting boring because the safety of the drivers is improving, it's boring because watching cars make left hand turns for 3 hours gets old after a few years...if you think more driver deaths and injuries is what NASCAR needs to be exciting, then I don't know what to tell you.

Going back to this little red light, how exactly is it detrimental to the sport in any way?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
  #52
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
MMA is 3 rounds, not 20 or more like in the early days of boxing, for one thing...and there are more than enough rules and regulations in those leagues, and their rulebook will continue to increase like it already has in the past. Also, there isn't headgear in pro boxing so I don't know what you're talking about there. As athletes perform a sport longer and longer, they begin to realize what the best way to do something is. Boxing became "safer" when people started wearing gloves, because fighting with broken hands sucks. Similar things happen in other sports. Right now, both football players and hockey players are beginning to realize that constantly banging your brain is bad for your career and long-term health. As an athlete becomes better at a sport, his value increases. It only makes sense to take some steps to protect that, and it's not like these steps have ruined or destroyed the game.

As for Chariot racing, it was absolutely brutal and drivers routinely died. Part of the fun was watching people die. Criminals were executed on the spina of the Circus Maximus to entertain the crowd between races. We are very different from Rome in that we don't go to sporting events to watch people perish. NASCAR isn't getting boring because the safety of the drivers is improving, it's boring because watching cars make left hand turns for 3 hours gets old after a few years...if you think more driver deaths and injuries is what NASCAR needs to be exciting, then I don't know what to tell you.

Going back to this little red light, how exactly is it detrimental to the sport in any way?
Yes MMA is 3 rounds, and yes pro boxing don't utilize head gear like Olympic boxing, but if it were ruled by the NHL with its now knee jerk crowd it would require head gear ?

I have zero issues with 20 round bear fist boxing matches, as long as both participants are not forced to do such against their own free will.If folks want to box, its none of my business whatsoever.

If little johnny or Suzy wants to have a red light/green light installed in their helmet, or their parents want them to do it, so be it, but don't get caught up in the thought that you are "really" accomplishing anything by doing such.....is wearing little pink ribbons "really" doing anything about cancer ?Or wearing Red ribbons "really" doing anything for Aids ?

And yes i will readily admit that i watch Nascar and other forms of racing to see the accidents, fires, etc.And i am not shocked whatsoever when it happens, but i am shocked it don't happen much more often.Many folks will not readily admit what i have, but deep down inside most watch motorsports because of the potential for disaster that exist.Is not the " daring " of a driver what sells and makes it very interesting and appealing ? Earnhardt is a Legend because he went out like a gladiator, and he would not wear a full face helmet etc because he did not like the way it felt, and he could not feel the pressure changes in the car while drafting .It was his choice, and that is how it should be...

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:16 PM
  #53
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Yes MMA is 3 rounds, and yes pro boxing don't utilize head gear like Olympic boxing, but if it were ruled by the NHL with its now knee jerk crowd it would require head gear ?

I have zero issues with 20 round bear fist boxing matches, as long as both participants are not forced to do such against their own free will.If folks want to box, its none of my business whatsoever.

If little johnny or Suzy wants to have a red light/green light installed in their helmet, or their parents want them to do it, so be it, but don't get caught up in the thought that you are "really" accomplishing anything by doing such.....is wearing little pink ribbons "really" doing anything about cancer ?Or wearing Red ribbons "really" doing anything for Aids ?

And yes i will readily admit that i watch Nascar and other forms of racing to see the accidents, fires, etc.And i am not shocked whatsoever when it happens, but i am shocked it don't happen much more often.Many folks will not readily admit what i have, but deep down inside most watch motorsports because of the potential for disaster that exist.Is not the " daring " of a driver what sells and makes it very interesting and appealing ? Earnhardt is a Legend because he went out like a gladiator, and he would not wear a full face helmet etc because he did not like the way it felt, and he could not feel the pressure changes in the car while drafting .It was his choice, and that is how it should be...
There's a huge difference between a small device that helps trainers establish the health of their players, and something like making pro boxers wear headgear. There's also a difference between the ribbons and the light device, since the light device can actually freaking tell a trainer or coach when he needs to watch a player closely and could potentially save from more damage.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
  #54
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
SgtJoseph: you're completely mischaracterizing or failing to comprehend what this device was designed to do. Its function is nothing like a cancer awareness ribbon. That analogy doesn't make any sense.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:31 PM
  #55
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I agree with this completely....And all people are different as to how they handle hits etc.For instance a hit may not trigger the light to Red, but the person wearing that helmet may be of the physical make up that he or she still gets a concussion ?.....I fly airplanes, and believe it or not folks with High blood pressure can take G loading better than those with " normal" or lower blood pressure.I just think things these days are now moving towards folks wanting their cake and eat it too.....I want to play a fast, physical, violent game on a hard sheet of ice surrounded by boards, glass etc with sharp steel blades strapped to my feet.......and i want to be able to do it with 100% safety ?.......Drop the puck and let em play, if they do not want to wear a helmet or a cage etc, then let em do it.....why is that so bad ? Bobby Clarke never wore a helmet ?
I don't think anyone is trying to make these mandatory in the NHL... at least I hope not.

But in kids' leagues, it is definitely a great idea IMO. Kids often do not know of / cannot fully process the risks of continuing to play with a concussion. Sometimes they might not even realize the severity of their injuries. And even if they do, they are even more likely than adults to tell you that they are ok in an effort to continue playing.

Anything that makes the sport safer for kids and gets more kids to play it is a good thing in my opinion.

But @ the NHL level, let the players make their own decisions.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:18 PM
  #56
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
SgtJoseph: you're completely mischaracterizing or failing to comprehend what this device was designed to do. Its function is nothing like a cancer awareness ribbon. That analogy doesn't make any sense.
The only reason i used that analogy is because many folks who wear the ribbons seem to somehow think they are " really "doing something about cancer or Aids or Homosexual rights etc?The lights on a helmet in my opinion are of the same type " false" hope ?A coach should always keep an eye on his or her players after any hard contact, regardless if a light comes on or don't come on.I played Goalie for many years, seen quite a few injuries, been hit my share of times in the mask, under the chin, etc etc....Its part of the game, and i just really hate seeing it become feminized or antiseptic to make the folks who watch it " feel" better ? .....Pro Hockey is a fast, tough, brutal game and is not for the faint of heart.....Hopefully it stays that way.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
  #57
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
The only reason i used that analogy is because many folks who wear the ribbons seem to somehow think they are " really "doing something about cancer or Aids or Homosexual rights etc?The lights on a helmet in my opinion are of the same type " false" hope ?A coach should always keep an eye on his or her players after any hard contact, regardless if a light comes on or don't come on.I played Goalie for many years, seen quite a few injuries, been hit my share of times in the mask, under the chin, etc etc....Its part of the game, and i just really hate seeing it become feminized or antiseptic to make the folks who watch it " feel" better ? .....Pro Hockey is a fast, tough, brutal game and is not for the faint of heart.....Hopefully it stays that way.
How the hell does this feminize the sport? That doesn't even make sense. It just makes the coaches or trainer's job easier. They have an entire team to monitor and track, and those guys are part of a lot of impacts over the course of the game. having a device that says "This guy might have gotten concussed on that last hit, pay extra attention to him" just makes it easier. That's a bit like saying early explorers who used a compass instead of staring at the sun were feminizing sea travel.

Having a device that makes it easier to take care of players doesn't do anything to change the nature of the sport. It's not like they're saying the puck should be replaced by a whiffle ball.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
  #58
bryzgalovsky*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
What the hell.

Who's gonna hate on Primeau? Guy's a legend.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
  #59
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
How the hell does this feminize the sport? That doesn't even make sense. It just makes the coaches or trainer's job easier. They have an entire team to monitor and track, and those guys are part of a lot of impacts over the course of the game. having a device that says "This guy might have gotten concussed on that last hit, pay extra attention to him" just makes it easier. That's a bit like saying early explorers who used a compass instead of staring at the sun were feminizing sea travel.

Having a device that makes it easier to take care of players doesn't do anything to change the nature of the sport. It's not like they're saying the puck should be replaced by a whiffle ball.
I suppose you and i can agree to disagree on where all of the things being done in the name of safety are taking the game of hockey that i grew up playing and watching back in the 60s...Nothing wrong with a good banter like we had on the subject.Lets make sure we also implement rules that coaches cannot be colored blind as to not read the lights incorrectly ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
  #60
bryzgalovsky*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Back in my day the word helmet wasn't even invented yet.

Hell, we didn't even have a puck or ice or anything, we just swung clubs directly at each other's heads while wearing animal skins and bone necklaces.

That's what a real man's sport is all about. None of this girly girl tootie frootie stuff.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:52 PM
  #61
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I suppose you and i can agree to disagree on where all of the things being done in the name of safety are taking the game of hockey that i grew up playing and watching back in the 60s...Nothing wrong with a good banter like we had on the subject.Lets make sure we also implement rules that coaches cannot be colored blind as to not read the lights incorrectly ?
Color blindness would be unfortunate.

McCrossin: "Agh! I can see his brain!"
Lavi: "That light hasn't changed color, cart him back onto the ice."

I could never afford ice hockey, but the neighborhood kids and I played an assload of pretty vicious street hockey (*******, getting kicked in the shin by a rollerblade hurts), so I fully appreciate the toughness of hockey, which is far more intense that the petty games I played. What I don't understand about your objection, is that these lights wouldn't do anything to the actual game and how it's played. They aren't proposing to replace that hard ice with a pit of teddy bears after all...it's just an indicator to say "Hey! This dude might be brain damaged!"

I just don't see what the problem with that is.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:00 PM
  #62
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Back in my day the word helmet wasn't even invented yet.

Hell, we didn't even have a puck or ice or anything, we just swung clubs directly at each other's heads while wearing animal skins and bone necklaces.

That's what a real man's sport is all about. None of this girly girl tootie frootie stuff.
And while we're at it, why don't Giroux and Jagr and Briere fight? I would say they are among the elite in the league, but they just don't stick up for themselves, so I can't put them up there w/ guys like Sean Avery and Daniel Carcillo. Back in the day, star players knew how to throw down and stick up for themselves. Today they've all become wusses. It really has messed up the game.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
  #63
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Back in my day the word helmet wasn't even invented yet.

Hell, we didn't even have a puck or ice or anything, we just swung clubs directly at each other's heads while wearing animal skins and bone necklaces.

That's what a real man's sport is all about. None of this girly girl tootie frootie stuff.
I'd love to see how manly some of you are after taking one of Briere's famous slashes to the crotch. I think i'd prefer the club

Some sound like one of those "Back in my day, we had no air!"



Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
And while we're at it, why don't Giroux and Jagr and Briere fight? I would say they are among the elite in the league, but they just don't stick up for themselves, so I can't put them up there w/ guys like Sean Avery and Daniel Carcillo. Back in the day, star players knew how to throw down and stick up for themselves. Today they've all become wusses. It really has messed up the game.
Back in the day they weren't nearly as jacked, wearing nearly as much heavy/hard gear, nor pumping steroids (ok ok, that last one is semi tongue-in-cheek). Except Avery, he's definitely a juicer.


Last edited by decadentia: 11-17-2011 at 12:39 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
  #64
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Color blindness would be unfortunate.

McCrossin: "Agh! I can see his brain!"
Lavi: "That light hasn't changed color, cart him back onto the ice."

I could never afford ice hockey, but the neighborhood kids and I played an assload of pretty vicious street hockey (*******, getting kicked in the shin by a rollerblade hurts), so I fully appreciate the toughness of hockey, which is far more intense that the petty games I played. What I don't understand about your objection, is that these lights wouldn't do anything to the actual game and how it's played. They aren't proposing to replace that hard ice with a pit of teddy bears after all...it's just an indicator to say "Hey! This dude might be brain damaged!"

I just don't see what the problem with that is.
I suppose my beef is with the whole " trend " of folks thinking they are doing something to fix a problem, that is really not a " big " problem.Kids get hurt and killed in Little league games, pee wee football games, street hockey games, etc.Sometimes bad things happen, like recently with the young lad getting killed by a puck to the throat..It was and is a very sad and unfortunate thing, but it was certainly a freak incident, and things just happen from time to time. I just really hate the pureness of such a great game being legislated into kids wearing lights in their helmets to help coaches monitor the severity of a hit ?......I guess i am just getting old and thinking back to when i was a lad and playing hockey from morning to night out on the ponds and lakes freezing our a$$es off etc, with zero concerns or even giving any thought to getting a concussion or getting hurt. We had kids drown from time to time by falling through the ice etc.....But that was just part of it, and folks just moved on....No Lawyers or the dreaded " activist " got involved like they do in these liberal times we live in today.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:09 AM
  #65
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I suppose my beef is with the whole " trend " of folks thinking they are doing something to fix a problem, that is really not a " big " problem.Kids get hurt and killed in Little league games, pee wee football games, street hockey games, etc.Sometimes bad things happen, like recently with the young lad getting killed by a puck to the throat..It was and is a very sad and unfortunate thing, but it was certainly a freak incident, and things just happen from time to time. I just really hate the pureness of such a great game being legislated into kids wearing lights in their helmets to help coaches monitor the severity of a hit ?......I guess i am just getting old and thinking back to when i was a lad and playing hockey from morning to night out on the ponds and lakes freezing our a$$es off etc, with zero concerns or even giving any thought to getting a concussion or getting hurt. We had kids drown from time to time by falling through the ice etc.....But that was just part of it, and folks just moved on....No Lawyers or the dreaded " activist " got involved like they do in these liberal times we live in today.
Alright so concussions arent a big problem. As someone who works in the medical field, I 100% disagree but I wont go to much into it.

But I have a serious question. What is wrong with trying to improve safety if it doesnt effect the game? Like the little light isnt a game changing object.

Also I think the parents of the kids who drowned would 100% disagree with you also. They not going to just blow it off because its hockey In the end, hockey is just a sport. If you consider hockey over life, Im sorry but there is something wrong there (not saying you do but thats what your post sounds like)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:33 AM
  #66
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
While we are on the topic of going back to days of yore, let's cut it with this vaccine crap. The human immune system was doing just fine.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:04 AM
  #67
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I suppose my beef is with the whole " trend " of folks thinking they are doing something to fix a problem, that is really not a " big " problem.Kids get hurt and killed in Little league games, pee wee football games, street hockey games, etc.Sometimes bad things happen, like recently with the young lad getting killed by a puck to the throat..It was and is a very sad and unfortunate thing, but it was certainly a freak incident, and things just happen from time to time. I just really hate the pureness of such a great game being legislated into kids wearing lights in their helmets to help coaches monitor the severity of a hit ?......I guess i am just getting old and thinking back to when i was a lad and playing hockey from morning to night out on the ponds and lakes freezing our a$$es off etc, with zero concerns or even giving any thought to getting a concussion or getting hurt. We had kids drown from time to time by falling through the ice etc.....But that was just part of it, and folks just moved on....No Lawyers or the dreaded " activist " got involved like they do in these liberal times we live in today.
1) Kids dying in freak accidents doesn't really count. There usually isn't anything you can do to stop those. Concussions, however, are a different matter. They happen a lot, they're a problem, and things can be done to alleviate the odds of it happening, without having to really jump through a lot of hoops. So why not take the basic safety steps?

2) Who gives a damn about the pureness of a game? It's just a game. It's hard to play it when you've died or been brain damaged by repeated, undiagnosed concussions. On top of that, the pureness of the game isn't affected at all, unless you think head injuries are an integral part of the sport.

3) Of course there was zero concern over concussions when you were a kid. Nobody understood how serious they could be, or what type of long-term consequences could come with them. That's a fairly recent development.

4) I highly doubt that the parents of the drowned kids "just moved on." The parents, families, and friends of the drowned kids are probably responsible for pushing towards changes that have saved other kids lives...that's usually how it works; society learns from those incidents. I fail to see any glory in dying young in an accident, and I fail to see how removing that aspect of an activity cheapens it.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:23 AM
  #68
Wud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I agree with this completely....And all people are different as to how they handle hits etc.For instance a hit may not trigger the light to Red, but the person wearing that helmet may be of the physical make up that he or she still gets a concussion ?.....I fly airplanes, and believe it or not folks with High blood pressure can take G loading better than those with " normal" or lower blood pressure.I just think things these days are now moving towards folks wanting their cake and eat it too.....I want to play a fast, physical, violent game on a hard sheet of ice surrounded by boards, glass etc with sharp steel blades strapped to my feet.......and i want to be able to do it with 100% safety ?.......Drop the puck and let em play, if they do not want to wear a helmet or a cage etc, then let em do it.....why is that so bad ? Bobby Clarke never wore a helmet ?
Neither did Bill Masterson.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
  #69
xifentoozlerix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: staten island
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Ugh....I hate that so many hockey fans are so "progressive". These are men playing the game. If they get hurt, OH WELL. They are MEN. They know the risks that a physical game like ice hockey subjects them to. That is a major reason why they are paid so handsomely.

That is SgtJoseph's point. We don't need a light on helmets that say that you might have a concussion. We need players to start taking responsibility for their own safety, and if they can't do that, they shouldn't be on the ice. If they get lit up (no pun intended) and get a concussion, then maybe they should be paying more attention out there. If it was a cheap shot, then it would be dealt with accordingly...but the well-intentioned regulations (such as the instigator rule) has had the unintended consequence of leaving players unaccountable on the ice for their actions. Guys skate around with their heads down or into the corners with their back turned and guys take runs without any care in the world about getting hit because they expect the

Intervention is never the right choice. You have to let the chips fall where they fall, or else you only create unintended consequences. If you try to "fix" the unintended consequences, you only create more problems. I rue the day, for instance, when visors become mandatory, because it will only remind me of the ongoing destruction of Western culture that is resulting from the continued intervention in peoples' affairs by "authorities" in the name of "safety". When people sacrifice liberty for safety, the end result is always bad. It sounds hyperbolic, but there is no question that the push for more and more "safety" in hockey is tied to the ever increasing role of government in the everyday affairs of Americans (and Canadians).

Sure, you can argue all day that a light on the helmet can't change the way the game is played, but what it can do is further remove the players from a position of responsibility for their own health, which can only harm the game and the players in the long run. Also, it is not the team's responsibility to diagnose injuries if the player isn't himself trying to be diagnosed.

Nobody has the right to play hockey without getting hurt, but you would think one did if you read this board.

edit: To clarify something, I don't care if players decide they want to wear a light on their helmet to diagnose concussions. Give them the choice. Making it mandatory is what causes problems.

xifentoozlerix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
  #70
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Players have repeatedly shown that they are bad at diagnosing their own health. They want to be out there and they want to be playing, regardless of whether or not they should be...that's why teams have trainers to help coaches make that call instead of relying solely on a player's input.

Recent Example (one of many) of player self-diagnoses gone wrong: Lappy.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
  #71
xifentoozlerix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: staten island
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Players have repeatedly shown that they are bad at diagnosing their own health. They want to be out there and they want to be playing, regardless of whether or not they should be...that's why teams have trainers to help coaches make that call instead of relying solely on a player's input.

Recent Example (one of many) of player self-diagnoses gone wrong: Lappy.
So? If a player is hurt and doesn't come forward, or if they misdiagnose themselves, that is their own fault. If teams want to prevent that, then they should have contractual clauses which deal with such scenarios. If the player signs, then he is bound. That is voluntary.

xifentoozlerix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
  #72
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
So? If a player is hurt and doesn't come forward, or if they misdiagnose themselves, that is their own fault. If teams want to prevent that, then they should have contractual clauses which deal with such scenarios. If the player signs, then he is bound. That is voluntary.
So, what are you advocating here? Doing away with training staffs and letting players be their own doctors?

This isn't a beer league.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
  #73
xifentoozlerix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: staten island
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So, what are you advocating here? Doing away with training staffs and letting players be their own doctors?

This isn't a beer league.
All i am advocating is that players not be obliged to do anything "for their own safety" which they do not want to do.

xifentoozlerix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:16 PM
  #74
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
All i am advocating is that players not be obliged to do anything "for their own safety" which they do not want to do.
It's not really in their hands. If the league wants it to happen, it'll happen one way or the other.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
  #75
xifentoozlerix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: staten island
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's not really in their hands. If the league wants it to happen, it'll happen one way or the other.
That is the problem...as i said earlier that is a result, IMO, of the increasing role of government in the lives of people here in the West. This movement toward mandated safety regulations from the governing body is the cause of all of the problems we are having culturally, economically, and morally.

xifentoozlerix is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.