HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too hard on this team?

Old
11-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Goose08

vCash: 500
I still feel like this team is still trying to find their way a little bit.

I'm waiting for some guys to hit their stride. Mostly younger guys and new additions. We've started to see it in a few players but the team is not "firing on all cylinders" quite yet. Once guys like Myers and Miller (among others) really start playing like we've all seen them play, the team will be much more like the team I expected to see this year.

And....we're winning the division. Can't ask for much more than that, other than to look better while doing it. Which, I believe, will come with time.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Are we too hard on the?

Questions coming into the season...

1. Leadership. I'll give it a B. Pomms & Vanek have stepped up but there still is a proven, winner, veteran leader missing.

2. Grit in the top 9. F. Emphatic F. Total failure.

3. Center. C+. Adam has been a pleasant surprise but is it him or the other two al stars he Plays with. Adam gets a B+. Hecht being hurt, well hurts. Leino gets an F at center. Roy has been his usual self the last 8 games since the injury cleared up. Still need a solid 2nd/3rd line center.

I am happy we have won 11/17 but I was shocked at an earlier post that said only 2 wins against playoff teams, which I look at the barometer (Philly & Boston games) and we were outclassed. So no I don't think we are too hard on them, they talked about championship this summer too. Expectations were set to cup contenders by the team, media and fans. The same flaws are still there, and no, this team needs a tune up before they will win in the playoffs.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Out of 11 victories ... 2 have come to teams that would be in the Playoffs today.
WINS
Anaheim (14th West)
Los Angeles (10th West)
Pittsburgh (1st East) -- 1
Montreal (12th East)
Columbus (15th West)
Calgary (13th West)
Ottawa (8th East) -- 2
Winnipeg (14th East)
Ottawa (8th East) -- 3
Montreal (12th East)
Average place in conference: 10.7

LOSSES
Carolina (13th)
Tampa Bay (10th)
Tampa Bay (10th)
Florida (7th)
Philadelphia (5th)
Boston (9)
Average place in conference: 9

Conclusion? Sabres ****ing suck against the Southeast.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
WINS
Anaheim (14th West)
Los Angeles (10th West)
Pittsburgh (1st East) -- 1
Montreal (12th East)
Columbus (15th West)
Calgary (13th West)
Ottawa (8th East) -- 2
Winnipeg (14th East)
Ottawa (8th East) -- 3
Montreal (12th East)
Average place in conference: 10.7

LOSSES
Carolina (13th)
Tampa Bay (10th)
Tampa Bay (10th)
Florida (7th)
Philadelphia (5th)
Boston (9)
Average place in conference: 9

Conclusion? Sabres ****ing suck against the Southeast.
In order to do the comparison correctly, you need to take out the games each team has played against the Sabres. Otherwise, it is biased by the Sabres win or loss against them.

I also think this is pretty rediculous to do this early in the seaon. The only teams the Sabres have beat that would be in the playoffs iareOttawa and Pittsburgh? Yet, wins against Anaheim, LA and in Montreal twice mean nothing?

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
ottsabrefan

Sorry for the double post.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
In order to do the comparison correctly, you need to take out the games each team has played against the Sabres. Otherwise, it is biased by the Sabres win or loss against them.

I also think this is pretty rediculous to do this early in the seaon. The only teams the Sabres have beat that would be in the playoffs iareOttawa and Pittsburgh? Yet, wins against Anaheim, LA and in Montreal twice mean nothing?

No..it doesn't mean those wins mean nothing... I think it's just saying ... yes..11-6 is a nice record...but.. I think we can all agree that they've played like **** more often than not since returning from Europe .. So..while the record says we're playing good...the reality is... this team isn't.

Thus.. I don't think anyone is being too hard on them.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
No..it doesn't mean those wins mean nothing... I think it's just saying ... yes..11-6 is a nice record...but.. I think we can all agree that they've played like **** more often than not since returning from Europe .. So..while the record says we're playing good...the reality is... this team isn't.

Thus.. I don't think anyone is being too hard on them.
Agreed. I just don't think the records of the teams they have played show that (mostly as it's so early in the year).

I think the true barometer you want is simply the Boston and Philly games as they are the team to beat in the division (and possibly the league) and the team that we want revenge against the most, respectively. I think if we had won both of those games and lost say the Ottawa and Anaheim games, people would be more forgiving.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
number72

It is not about being "weak" it is about character.
The team has the talent to be a cup contender but do they have the character to?

I don't see it - sure they have a great record - but do they have the desire?

I say no - not yet.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
It is not about being "weak" it is about character.
The team has the talent to be a cup contender but do they have the character to?

I don't see it - sure they have a great record - but do they have the desire?

I say no - not yet.
So lets not be hard on these guys? Yea they looked great last night. We should all send them some Flowers and Chocolates. Give me a break! Hard on the highest paid team in the NHL? They look like crapola. They do not look as good as there record. Maybe when Ennis comes back he can spark a fire in these guys, and start putting the puck in the net. Myers was the only player I thought played well yesterday. Other than that they looked average at best.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Out of the gate, they looked like they were going to be the kind of team that just rolls over its opponents. It really hasn't played out that way since.

There are defining season types of game or plays that can make or break a season for a team. Detroit beating the **** out of Claude LeMeiux back in '97 turned their whole team around for the next 5 years.

I'm hoping Buffalo's season defining game was NOT last week vs. the Bruins. But team toughness - mental and/or physical - has not been a defining characteristic of the Sabres the past few seasons.

Let's hope Nov 23 proves me wrong.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:08 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
So lets not be hard on these guys? Yea they looked great last night. We should all send them some Flowers and Chocolates. Give me a break! Hard on the highest paid team in the NHL? They look like crapola. They do not look as good as there record. Maybe when Ennis comes back he can spark a fire in these guys, and start putting the puck in the net. Myers was the only player I thought played well yesterday. Other than that they looked average at best.
You can be hard on them. But when it's all chicken little when they were sitting at 11-6, there is indeed a thing such as being "too hard" on them.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Some fans are definitely being too hard on the team. They are winning, but haven't gelled as a team, yet. It's that simple. There are games where they've struggled and will struggle, but that will be fixed in time. The important thing is that they are getting the W in some of the games where they struggle...

Just to put it in perspective:

05-06 sabres team is often referenced and remembered as the strongest team Buffalo has iced in recent years, at the very least since the lock out. That team started the season 10-8-0. Every game against Ottawa in that stretch was a blow out against the Sabres where the effort looked lacking and the team wasn't clicking. By the end of that season, though....

the 11-12 sabres are currently 11-7-0. It's better, but not by much. I see some striking similarities between the roster of then and the roster now. The grit and physicality aren't quite there, but it will come. By the end of the season, who knows how good they will be...

Edit- it's also worth mentioning that this team hasn't lost more than two in a row at any point this season.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote